Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth norm. Exciting day for sports...Sunday at the Open Championship, USA girls in the WC final and Sox-Rays Sunday night baseball. Fantastic.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    "I'm looking forward to getting back to America and some nice conditions. I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind.

"I'm not a fan of tournaments when the outcome is predicted so much by the weather." Rory McIlroy

You really think he would be used to this considering where he's from but this is a pretty lame comment from Rory, you never would have heard this from Jack or Tiger.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    Weak comment from rory. He should know better but is still just a kid so I won't hold it against him too much. Kind of ironic since he rarely plays over here.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    "I'm looking forward to getting back to America and some nice conditions. I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind.

"I'm not a fan of tournaments when the outcome is predicted so much by the weather." Rory McIlroy

You really think he would be used to this considering where he's from but this is a pretty lame comment from Rory, you never would have heard this from Jack or Tiger.

He should have cooled off a bit before he spoke with the media. He was still raging about the wind moving his ball when he set up for a birdie putt and then took a bogey. Pretty dumb comment regardless though. But he is just a kid and kids say dumb things.
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Hey Bostonians any of you give Widow's Walk in Scituate, MA a shot? I'm playing there for the first time on Friday morning. Looks pretty tough.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    whoa! :shock:
    Tiger Woods has decided to get rid of Steve Williams as his caddie.

Woods announced on his website Wednesday that he and Williams, who have been together since March 1999, will no longer be working together. Woods said only that it was time for a change.

Woods did not say who would replace Williams, or when he would return.

Williams has worked the last two majors for Adam Scott of Australia.
    http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/art ... 40,00.html
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Woods announced on his website Wednesday that he and Williams, who have been together since March 1999, will no longer be working together. Woods said only that it was time for a change.

Damn, that is suprising and pretty big news. New coach, new swing, new caddie, new knee. Hopefully it helps. Maybe he just wants to start fresh.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,632
    norm wrote:

great! now I can root against tiger and whoever stevie is caddying for :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Damn, that is suprising and pretty big news. New coach, new swing, new caddie, new knee. Hopefully it helps. Maybe he just wants to start fresh.

yeah this is puzzling...i know that tiger is gonna shut it down for the rest of the year so maybe he had to do this so stevie can work somewhere else :?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah this is puzzling...i know that tiger is gonna shut it down for the rest of the year so maybe he had to do this so stevie can work somewhere else :?

i think he's tired of tiger cutting practice sessions short so he can have sex with the drive-thru girl at "in and out" burger ... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Bizarre. I don't really know what to think. Williams is now with Adam Scott permanently and doesn't seem thrilled about being let go.

http://progolftalk.nbcsports.com/2011/0 ... ger-woods/

Another article there says there are rumors about him picking up Westwoods caddy.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i think he's tired of tiger cutting practice sessions short so he can have sex with the drive-thru girl at "in and out" burger ... :mrgreen:

his new caddie

http://static.zoovy.com/img/bamtar/W799 ... ostume.jpg

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,632
    norm wrote:
    your web searching skills are unequaled :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Amazing stuff norm. She looks great.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,575
    Nice to see the PGA make a stop this week to our beautiful country. Seems to have some decent names attending this yr, unlike some yrs in the past :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Steve Williams on Tiger Woods: ‘I’ve wasted two years of my life’

By Jay Busbee

Is it possible that Tiger Woods simply has no idea how people outside the ropes of a golf course relate to one another?

On Wednesday, Woods formally announced that he and caddie Steve Williams were parting ways, a decision that he'd apparently broken to Williams several weeks ago. But as Williams has indicated in the last 24 hours, this decision was in no way mutual, and that he cannot believe this is the outcome of his consistent -- some would say misguided -- loyalty.

On his website, Williams released the following statement:

"Following the completion of the AT&T National I am no longer caddying for Tiger after he informed me that he needed to make a change. After 13 years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock. Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger's scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change and Tiger battling through injuries I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time. I have had the opportunity to work of late for Australian Adam Scott and will now caddy for him on a permanent basis. Having started my caddying career with Australian great Peter Thompson and working for Greg Norman in the 80's I am excited about the future working for another Australian."

Clearly, Williams believes the loyalty he showed to Woods through a decade-plus of victories, plus both Woods' personal problems and injuries warranted more than a "thanks for your service" pink slip. (He did tell Golf Digest's Tim Rosaforte he respected the fact that Woods handled the dismissal "man to man," but that's where the respect apparently ends.)

Interviewed on Television New Zealand, he went even further: "You could say I've wasted the last two years of my life. I've stuck with Tiger and been incredibly loyal. I'm not disappointed I've been fired -- that's part of the job -- but the timing is extraordinary."

When the Woods scandal, with its lurid tales of trysts around the world, first broke in late 2009, Williams was implicated by association. They're partners on the course! Wouldn't he have known about everything that happened off the course as well? And if he didn't know, why didn't he immediately quit?

"My name should have been cleared immediately," Williams said. "It wasn't and that's what makes it even more disappointing what's transpired [recently]." He indicated that the revelation of Woods' transgressions set off what he called "the most difficult period of my life," and his decision to stick by Woods met with considerable criticism from friends.

Even so, Williams saw something in Woods that kept Williams in the fold. Was it simply money? Certainly Williams earned millions while in Woods' employ. But even if Williams' decision to remain was purely mercenary, remain he did, at a time when Woods had few friends and almost no one willing to stand up for him.

"I, along with a lot of people, lost a lot of respect for Tiger and I pointed out before his return at the Masters at Augusta in 2010 that he had to earn back my respect," Williams said. "Through time I hope he can gain my respect back. He definitely needs to earn my respect again, that's for sure."

We've opined before in this space that perhaps the best thing Woods could do would be to clean house, to start over with an entirely new entourage not beholden to him, and not responsible for enabling him prior to Thanksgiving 2009. Clearly, by keeping much of his prior management team in place, he hasn't done that; by cutting loose the man who was literally his most visible public supporter, he once again gives the appearance of caring for no one but himself.

The loss of Williams could be hugely damaging on the course as well as in the court of public opinion. Williams is 13 years older than Woods, and while he didn't give off a "father figure" vibe, he certainly had it in him to guide Woods in certain directions -- on the course, at least -- while keeping more intrusive elements like the media and the galleries at bay. Whoever takes on the job of caddying Woods, and there are no serious candidates as yet, will have to be part psychologist, part bouncer, an enforcer with Zen calm.

Look, it's Woods' prerogative to fire his caddie at any time; he's done it in the past. This is an employer-employee relationship. (And to be fair, we haven't heard Woods' side of the story.) But there are ways to handle these separations with grace, respect and dignity, ways to keep someone who's been one of your most loyal backers from feeling like all his own pain and stress were meaningless.

Woods has a long list of people who deserved better from him. It's a shame that list continues to grow even now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil ... olf-wp3957
  • Options
    not sure why williams would be griping ... it's like being a 4th line winger on a stanley cup team ... not to diminish his part in woods' success but let's be honest here ... tiger would have likely had that success with a bunch of other caddies ...

he's now caught on with adam scott ... he's gonna do alright ... he just sounds really bitter ...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

am i the only person that want to punch the guys taking the video? i was waiting for "get in the hole!!" :roll:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

am i the only person that want to punch the guys taking the video? i was waiting for "get in the hole!!" :roll:

Yeah, they are pretty annoying but the heckling could have been much worse. I gotta say it would be pretty awesome to throw down a $500 bet with Jordan.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,284
    polaris_x wrote:
    not sure why williams would be griping ... it's like being a 4th line winger on a stanley cup team ... not to diminish his part in woods' success but let's be honest here ... tiger would have likely had that success with a bunch of other caddies ...

he's now caught on with adam scott ... he's gonna do alright ... he just sounds really bitter ...

Ever golf with a caddie who knows his shit and the course your playing on? It'll take at least 8 to 10 strokes off your game the first round you play with them.
  • Options
    SportsNation question of the day: Who wins more tournaments the rest of their career? Stevie on the bag for another tour player or Tiger with another caddy? It's close right now. The way its going now, Id say Stevie. Who knows if Tiger wins another tournament ever again.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

Ever golf with a caddie who knows his shit and the course your playing on? It'll take at least 8 to 10 strokes off your game the first round you play with them.

?????

uhhh ... thanks for telling me what a caddie does - not sure what your point is ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

?????

uhhh ... thanks for telling me what a caddie does - not sure what your point is ...

:lol::lol:

as for stevie...don't think he's biter but kinda hurt? i mean he stuck with tiger through the shit and now he decides to drop him? if that were me i'd be pissed...and judging from stevie's comments it sounds like tiger really didn't give him any reasons...whole thing seems odd to me
  • Options
    norm wrote:

as for stevie...don't think he's biter but kinda hurt? i mean he stuck with tiger through the shit and now he decides to drop him? if that were me i'd be pissed...and judging from stevie's comments it sounds like tiger really didn't give him any reasons...whole thing seems odd to me

sure ... i can see that ... it's just that he's on the bag of adam scott now and he's made a ridiculous fortune off tiger ... i wouldn't be surprised if he makes more off of scott than tiger from here on out ... now, i'm not counting tiger out ... it's just scott isn't some stiff that's gonna be playing for his card next year ... the guy is like top 20 in the world ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    norm wrote:

sure ... i can see that ... it's just that he's on the bag of adam scott now and he's made a ridiculous fortune off tiger ... i wouldn't be surprised if he makes more off of scott than tiger from here on out ... now, i'm not counting tiger out ... it's just scott isn't some stiff that's gonna be playing for his card next year ... the guy is like top 20 in the world ...

well steve has been a top caddy long before he hooked up with tiger and with his experience with tiger he pretty much had the pick of any of the young kids...i think scott is a great pick...i see a major or two in the next couple years with this pairing
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    well steve has been a top caddy long before he hooked up with tiger and with his experience with tiger he pretty much had the pick of any of the young kids...i think scott is a great pick...i see a major or two in the next couple years with this pairing

agreed ... i like him for next year's masters ...
  • Options
    question i have is who will carry tiger's bag next year? :think:
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    question i have is who will carry tiger's bag next year? :think:
    I am.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,284
    polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

?????

My point is that you stated Tiger would have had success with or without with him, Williams knows his shit and helped Tiger win ALOT, hows Tiger doin with his new Swing Coach? Think he misses his old one much? We'll see how he does with " a bunch of other caddies" as you say above soon enough. :lol: