Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    I finally put my grandpas old clubs to use and went golfing for the first time in my life yesterday...I loved it! My girlfriend's sister just got a moved in to a golf community (they grew up golfing) ...there's basically a course built through the neighborhood. I shot a 58 (par 32, I believe) but I still loved it...only hit one house. I can't believe it took me this long to get out and try it.

Anyone have any pointers?
    I'm not really in a position to give you pointers, but practice and patience, and have fun. Welcome!

Best advice- Take a lesson. You could go out and hit 10,000 balls at the range but if your grip, stance, and swing aren't correct you will never get any better. 1 lesson to start will show you the basics of the golf swing and then you can begin to practice from there. I have worked on a golf course and I can't tell you how many guys I have seen go to the range 5x a week and hit 100 balls a day with an absolute horrible swing and they never get any better and don't understand why. So, take a lesson...and have fun. It's a great game.

BTW...I realise there may be some sentimental value in your grandfathers' clubs but modern technology has made the golf club a lot easier to use in recent years. They have special clubs designed for beginners that will make learning golf a lot less frustrating. Keep the putter though, putting is mostly about the mind.
  • Options
    Tiger not playing the Open. Damn.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    eddiec wrote:
    I finally put my grandpas old clubs to use and went golfing for the first time in my life yesterday...I loved it! My girlfriend's sister just got a moved in to a golf community (they grew up golfing) ...there's basically a course built through the neighborhood. I shot a 58 (par 32, I believe) but I still loved it...only hit one house. I can't believe it took me this long to get out and try it.

Anyone have any pointers?
    I'm not really in a position to give you pointers, but practice and patience, and have fun. Welcome!

Best advice- Take a lesson. You could go out and hit 10,000 balls at the range but if your grip, stance, and swing aren't correct you will never get any better. 1 lesson to start will show you the basics of the golf swing and then you can begin to practice from there. I have worked on a golf course and I can't tell you how many guys I have seen go to the range 5x a week and hit 100 balls a day with an absolute horrible swing and they never get any better and don't understand why. So, take a lesson...and have fun. It's a great game.

BTW...I realise there may be some sentimental value in your grandfathers' clubs but modern technology has made the golf club a lot easier to use in recent years. They have special clubs designed for beginners that will make learning golf a lot less frustrating. Keep the putter though, putting is mostly about the mind.

Oh no, they're not OLD clubs, he just got a new set and gave me the old ones. My girlfriend is gonna go out to the driving range with me this afternoon and help me out lol
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Get after it SomethingCreative!

I've been playing this amazing, fun, challenging and enraging game since I was 9 and it always keeps me coming back. I would advise getting a lesson as well, but at the end of the day, do what works for you. I teach all my friends and I even taught my mom and yes, instruction is important, what's more important is tinkering to find what works. I've never taken a formal lesson in my life and I like to think I compete at a pretty high level.

Keep us up to date as to your experiences. Hit em straight, kid.

By the way Cliffy, great read on that Larry David piece. I love the golf-related plots on Curb.

One week till the Open. Can't wait to hear norm's breakdown on the field.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Tiger to make announcement tomorrow morning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil ... olf-wp3429
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    He's done for 2011. I bet he doesn't play till Augusta next April.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    He's done for 2011. I bet he doesn't play till Augusta next April.
    It would be smart for him to do that. Get 110% better and go back to his old winning ways.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,523
    The British Open is almost here, can't wait. Wonder if Rory is going to do it this time :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Tiger's big announcement? Mark Steinberg is joining Excel Sports Management :?
  • Options
    6 year old makes hole-in-one
    http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6761106/reagan-kennedy-6-makes-hole-one-illinois-course

In a related story, I've never made one in almost 20 years.
  • Options
    http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6761106/reagan-kennedy-6-makes-hole-one-illinois-course

Lucky little bastard :D I'm still searching for one myself, left one short about 4" once....story of my life :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    BLACK35 wrote:

Lucky little bastard :D I'm still searching for one myself, left one short about 4" once....story of my life :D
    I've been trying on and off for 30 years. At my $$$ level I tend to play a lot of shorter courses also, probably would have had a handful if my SKILL level was anything over bad.
    #FHP
  • Options
    I'm picturing hippie Randy Marsh crushing beers and roasting doobies on the course. Love the new avatar.
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    The British Open is almost here, can't wait. Wonder if Rory is going to do it this time :)
    That would be something if he went back to back majors. I can't wait to watch the action. The Open Championship might be my favorite major.
  • Options
    Love the links style courses! Probably my fave to watch also. Became a big fan while watching Watson get his wins years ago.

Any of you guys ever play any of the courses over there? I'm only a couple hours from Bandon Dunes but it's always been out of my price range. :(
    #FHP
  • Options
    Anybody else watching the action this weekend? One of the better Open Championships so far in recent memory. Great to see Watson's ace yesterday and Darren Clarke and my boy Dustin Johnson make for an excellent final pairing Sunday. Also, Ricky Fowler...cut that damn hair!
  • Options
    Going to be a great Sunday. Phil with a chance at the Open?? That doesn't ever happen. Clarke loooked really good yesterday, if he doesn't implode the tourney could be his. I think Fowler is still too young to win but his performance was definitely the best of Saturday.
  • Options
    I'm watching.

Phil tied it up there for a minute. Love the crazy weather. Hope we have a close finish.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Should be a great finish, but I think Phil will choke at the end. I wouldn't mind seeing Clarke win this one
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    I disagree that Phil will choke but Clarke looks like he'll take it down. Especially if he keeps getting the bounces. Love the links golf.
    #FHP
  • Options
    And Phil chokes!!
    #FHP
  • Options
    Phil just missed a short one, already starting to feel the grip tighten :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Wonder what the FIR% is like. Seems like everyone is playing from the rough.

Here goes Phil again..........guess you called that one.
    #FHP
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,548
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Should be a great finish, but I think Phil will choke at the end. I wouldn't mind seeing Clarke win this one
    I wouldn't mind seeing either win. I like both guys. my favorite villian has a hurt leg.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Dont count out Dustin!
  • Options
    And I think we can count out Dustin now. Unforced error hitting the ball way OB.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617
    And I think we can count out Dustin now. Unforced error hitting the ball way OB.

Poor. He always seems to do it to himself.

I really hope Clarke can win it. Seems like a good guy, has been through a lot and has had a pretty good career. Dude deserves it.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    just tuned in...comes on too damn early out here :|

looks like phil is being...well phil :lol:

i'm hoping dc can pull it off...good guy who deserves a major
  • Options
    Congrats to Darren. 3 majors from Northern Ireland in the last 14 months. Amazing. Must be something in the water up there.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Congrats to Darren. 3 majors from Northern Ireland in the last 14 months. Amazing. Must be the Guinness.

fixed ;)

congrats dc!