Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    “I have been caddieing for more than 30 years now. I have won 145 times and that is the best win of my life,” Williams said afterwards.
    “A lot has been said this week and it is great to back it up. I back myself as a frontrunner as a caddie and I have won again.”
    There was more from where that came from, with Williams disputing Woods's contention earlier this week that he had sacked the New Zealander “face to face”.
    Williams said: “It's the greatest week of my life caddying — I sincerely mean that.”

“It's the most satisfying win I've ever had, there's no two ways about it,” Williams said.

This guy needs to STFU already, he carries a bag and cleans another guys balls and contrary to what he thinks he's never won a golf tournament in his life.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    1. not sure who's ego is bigger? ... tiger's or stevie's ... ;)
    2. tiger has been left behind ... the game evolves and he's been out of it for a while now ... the kids these days drive the ball long and straight with consistency ... that's how they are scoring ...
    3. it's gonna be a shootout this weekend ...
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    Williams has always been an arrogant asshole. At least with Tiger firing him he gained a little sympathy but as a person he is not well liked on the tour. Greatest win of your career?- the Bridgestone! Does he think we are foolish enough to believe him. Ever since he talked trashed about Michelson a few years back I've never liked him. A caddy talking trash about a player, c'mon.
  • Options
    Golf channels Jason Sobel

I don't know why Adam Scott is getting so much credit for this victory. All he did was walk next to Steve Williams and swing clubs all week.
  • Options
    Anyone gaming ping, g20's come out at the end of the week. Bubba sure likes the new driver he put one 415 last week.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    JOHNS CREEK, Ga. -- This is why Paul Azinger has become such a popular TV broadcaster.

The former Ryder Cup captain and major-championship winner, appearing on a Tampa sports radio outlet, summarized the Steve Williams and Tiger Woods feud better than anybody when he cut to the heart about what seemed so distasteful about the caddie's inflammatory, post-round comments Sunday night.

Williams had just finished caddying for Bridgestone Invitational winner Adam Scott, who had won in dominant fashion against one of the deepest fields of the year, but he turned it into a platform to vent his feelings about Woods.

"The old joke is when the player plays good the caddie says, 'we,'" Azinger told Tampa's WDAE radio. "But when the player plays bad, the caddie says 'he.' In this case the player played great and the caddie said 'I.'"

Azinger said the brushfire that broke out after Williams aired his laundry affirms and underscores where Woods is held in the public pantheon. To him, interviewing Williams was absolutely the proper thing to do.

"What it shows you is that Tiger Woods is a real lightning rod," Azinger said. "There’s a lot of emotion still wrapped up in whether you really like Tiger or can’t stand him. A lot of people have not liked Steve Williams through the years. He has not been a popular person amongst the players and the caddies, necessarily, and that’s OK -- he’s got a work ethic and people don’t like winners a lot of times.

"This situation was unique. I believe Stevie should’ve been interviewed. I wanted Adam Scott to win so I could hear what Stevie said in regard. It was as much what he said that did the damage. It became a 'me, me, me' or 'I, I, I' fest and he didn’t say how great Adam Scott played.

"When he said it was the greatest week of my life, I don’t know how anybody could believe that, and it just shows you there is a lot of bitterness and animosity towards Tiger still and the way he was let go [fired]. Probably some of it is justified, but he should’ve given Adam Scott his props and then lit Tiger up and I think everybody would’ve thought differently."

Azinger was asked whether Woods has many friends or allies left.

“I know that he has to be angry at the media that tore him down," Azinger said. "He’s got to be angry at himself first. He’s dealing with the worst of all possible emotions and that is shame, and he’s not healthy.

"Who are his friends? I mean [his agent], Mark Steinberg? Come on."

The show host, Steve Dueming, interjected, "He doesn’t have anybody."

"Well, he brought it on himself,” Azinger said.

http://steveelling.blogs.cbssports.com/ ... 1/31213664
  • Options
    tiger is a narcissist ... it's too bad ... i think his parents taught him better than that ...

in any case - looking forward to this major ... it's a changing of the guard so to speak ... i expect to see rory, jason day, fowler, and lot of the young guns on the leaderboard ... throw in some veterans like toms and it's gonna be fireworks on sunday ...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,774
    Golf channels Jason Sobel

I don't know why Adam Scott is getting so much credit for this victory. All he did was walk next to Steve Williams and swing clubs all week.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Almost had a hole in one this past weekend...about 170 yard par 3. Hit it to within about 3 feet with a 7 iron. I didn't realize how close it was until we pulled up next to the green...
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,574
    Almost had a hole in one this past weekend...about 170 yard par 3. Hit it to within about 3 feet with a 7 iron. I didn't realize how close it was until we pulled up next to the green...

Always the way, its alway nice to hit em close. But in the end it don't matter if its 6" or 15' IMO.
    Had something similar about 3 yrs ago, put it within 3"...........FUCK :evil:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options

Did you make the birdie though :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Nice job Indifference. Yeah, you made the putt right? 3 feet? I woulda given it to ya. BLACK35 would have made you putt it out.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Nice job Indifference. Yeah, you made the putt right? 3 feet? I woulda given it to ya. BLACK35 would have made you putt it out.

HAHA...yes I made the putt for the bird. If not, the putter throw would have come out for sure.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    Tiger made this guy rich. Shut the fuck up and hand Scott a golf club.
  • Options

if its for cash ... ya gotta putt it out ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

Exactly. There was definitely some cash on the line which made that shot even better....
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

Exactly. There was definitely some cash on the line which made that shot even better....
    If I'm playing a match for money, I'll give you that one and make you putt out the next one. Lull you to sleep until the pressure's really on. Chances are if I was playing against you, I'd tie or lose the hole anyway, so I'd make you sweat out the next one. Just my approach to match play.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options

I would have made him putt out :lol::lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Gonna be a sweet day, Golf later this morning, come home and make some lunch, grab some beers & watch me some PGA Championship Golf.
    (I'm on holidays :D )
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Gonna be a sweet day, Golf later this morning, come home and make some lunch, grab some beers & watch me some PGA Championship Golf.

That sounds great. I'm very jealous.
  • Options
    So PGA is off and running bubba is the leader at -4 through 7 tiger is even through 8 Phil + 1 through 9. Ryo Ishikawa who was being talked about as a contender is hacking it up out there 11 over through 11 guys gonna have to get hot to break 90 lol
  • Options
    So PGA is off and running bubba is the leader at -4 through 7 tiger is even through 8 Phil + 1 through 9. Ryo Ishikawa who was being talked about as a contender is hacking it up out there 11 over through 11 guys gonna have to get hot to break 90 lol

damm kid is +15 ...

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2011/scoring/
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:
    WOW, that's a perfect day!
    Note to self: Don't die
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

I would've bet the house 57 yo Jerry Pate who hasn't made a cut since 2002 would be the high scorer but wow this kids just imploding.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Hey Tiger how did that 77 feel!!!
  • Options
    Hey Tiger how did that 77 feel!!!

Yeah it looks like it fell apart on the par 3 15th (256 yards :shock: ) double bogey and many more to follow after that.
    Just seen Stricker miss his birdie on 18th to shoot 62 and set the record for lowest round in a major. Surprised no one has ever shot a 62 in a major
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Tiger was delusional thinking he could win this week. Go Jerry Kelly!
  • Options
    WTF was rory doing hitting off that root he has a ice pack on wrist now, he may have to WD
  • Options
    WTF was rory doing hitting off that root he has a ice pack on wrist now, he may have to WD

He is done, even if he toughs it out. How is the rest of the weekend going to pan out
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:

He is done, even if he toughs it out. How is the rest of the weekend going to pan out

He needs to WD immediately before he causes more damage. A hand/wrist injury is a potential career killer. His caddy is a moron for not making him take a unplayable.