The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• i got id wrote:
    funny, I just looked up DMB tickets at Virginia Beach and they were $84.50 after fees

Well then I very much stand corrected. But I know I'm right about Radiohead and Green Day.

Green day:

General Admission Floor
    CA $89.50

Reserved Level 400
    CA $69.50

Reserved Level 300
    CA $69.50

Reserved Level 200
    CA $69.50

General Admission Lawn
    CA $25.00 - CA $39.50

89.50 isn't $20 cheaper..
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139

I thought it was obvious that nobody was denying that prices have risen. I think you might have taken satensbeds comments out of context. When I first read it, I thought he was responding to the statement that you said PJ was MONEY HUNGRY, and that they had control over setting their prices. I think what satansbed and I have been saying all along is that we simply dont know all the facts as to why ticket prices have risen. And we dont, so THAT is not fact.

I have said all along that I hope they keep rising becasue the people that continuously bitch might take the high road, then I have a better chance at better seats. It's like some people around here cannot be pleased and just like to come back with complete negativity.

Bottom line, if it's not worth it to you, don't go. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you continously come down on something, it really must not be worth it, so why waste your time and live such a negative existence? :roll:

yep this is exactly what i was meaning

and anyway if they want to make a bit more profit on top of that by all means go for it, i i still wouldn't classify the band as greedy, as a poster mentioned above they donated 200,000 to haiti. and donate alot of money to other charities as well
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    i got id wrote:
    funny, I just looked up DMB tickets at Virginia Beach and they were $84.50 after fees

Well then I very much stand corrected. But I know I'm right about Radiohead and Green Day.

Green day:

General Admission Floor
    CA $89.50

Reserved Level 400
    CA $69.50

Reserved Level 300
    CA $69.50

Reserved Level 200
    CA $69.50

General Admission Lawn
    CA $25.00 - CA $39.50

89.50 isn't $20 cheaper..

yeah but $25 is $50 cheaper and they have AFI opening who is a pretty popular act in their own right
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    satansbed wrote:

I thought it was obvious that nobody was denying that prices have risen. I think you might have taken satensbeds comments out of context. When I first read it, I thought he was responding to the statement that you said PJ was MONEY HUNGRY, and that they had control over setting their prices. I think what satansbed and I have been saying all along is that we simply dont know all the facts as to why ticket prices have risen. And we dont, so THAT is not fact.

I have said all along that I hope they keep rising becasue the people that continuously bitch might take the high road, then I have a better chance at better seats. It's like some people around here cannot be pleased and just like to come back with complete negativity.

Bottom line, if it's not worth it to you, don't go. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you continously come down on something, it really must not be worth it, so why waste your time and live such a negative existence? :roll:

and anyway if they want to make a bit more profit on top of that by all means go for it, i i still wouldn't classify the band as greedy, as a poster mentioned above they donated 200,000 to haiti. and donate alot of money to other charities as well

How much of it goes to the Eddie Vedder eggs for Breakfast fund?
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    stranger34 wrote:
    satansbed wrote:

Still at it I see.
    I guess you never quit.
    Whatever makes you happy.
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    stranger34 wrote:
    thats just assonine.

[quote="stranger34

yeah but $25 is $50 cheaper and they have AFI opening who is a pretty popular act in their own right[/quote]

yeah lawn tickets for pearl jam gigs are pretty cheap too, 39 dollars, so you cant say 50 dollars cheaper, there only 14 dollars cheaper
  • jammingwhileIcanjammingwhileIcan Posts: 89
    edited April 2010
    Jesus people, their tickets are ethically overpriced that's what the OP is saying. This bands MO for years was to be a fan friendly band that would keep ticket prices at a reasonable price. If you don't think they could have tripled their ticket prices in the 90's and still sold out in seconds youre nuts. The reason they didn't= ethics/morals. How much longer can they try to live off their self righteous image of the 90's when they are acting like out of touch rockstars.

P.S. My anger is because I love this band and it actually pains me to see this happening, so don't jump on my neck about negativity
    Post edited by jammingwhileIcan on
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    coaljam wrote:
    Jesus people, their tickets are ethicaly overpriced thats what the OP is saying. This bands MO for years was to be a fan friendly band that would keep ticket prices at a reasonable price. If you don't think they could have tripled their ticket prices in the 90's and still sold out in seconds youre nuts. The reason they didn't= ethics/morals. How much longer can they try to live of their self rightous image of the 90's when they are acting like out of touch rockstars.

P.S. My anger is because I love this band and it actually pains me to see this happening, so don't jump on my neck about negativity

why now u dont bitching??
  • Get serious.

Tom Petty wants $150 and you to buy a digital download of his mojo album. U2 soaked me for $275 bucks X 3 tickets.

What do you do? What exactly is your wage? Why are you worth it? Would you like to make a little more? If you do... well... green disease... yup... it appears to be a case of green disease.

Fukin people. Stay at home bitches. Pearl Jam is keeps their tickets lower than most- and most are not worth seeing. Do you consider them a bunch of shitbaggers that you should only pay a nickel to see? If so... don't go. And save your bitching for your colleagues and wife regarding how unfair life is.

Well said :)
    that wasnt well said at all actually. in fact, it was kind of stupid.
  • That cracks me up the "Why now u don't bitching".

I can't believe this thread is still going. Stranger 34 should be so pleased with herself.

Somebody should give her a hug and toss her a couple of quarters to help offset the Pearl Jam's blatant ripoff.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • I am new to 10c, but longtime PJ & music fan and avid concert goer in the day, when there actually more than a few bands worth paying to see. I am often confused with some of the threads and post that rip the band as if they have everything to do with tickets prices, which is actually very misleading. I worked at SPAC in upstate NY for many years doing security, a popular venue that PJ has played a couple times and I can tell you they charged far less for lawn seats than inside seats. Also, I just got PJ Hartford tickets in lower level 12 rows up on corner of stage(have sat near there before VG seats for $66 each). I must say, i can not remember paying any less than probably around $100 a seat for any decent seat for any band worth seeing in the last 10 years other than maybe PJ for this upcoming show. The main reason some bands sell upper level tickets for less is because they will not sell out venue by having all tickets priced the same. I am still VG friends with people I worked with at SPAC and TU Center(Albany NY) and the venues have a lot of control over increased cost for big acts like PJ, which results in higher tickets prices, not that $66 or $92 would stop me from going to see one of the Greatest Live Acts around and ever IMO! Hey you can get Justin Bieber tickets for $30, just got them for my daughter, now theres a real Rock and Roll show! American Idol is on also check your local listing, LOL! I do not mean to be an ass, but PJ has always been worth what I paid, if not much more and especially compared to many shows I have been disappointed by.
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• I love Pearl Jam.

But I must agree with the OP, prices are getting out of hand.

Wilco just played small venues in Richmond, VA and then Bethesda, MD and I believe the base price was $35 per ticket.

Why are we now paying almost $60 more for PJ than Wilco?
  • Duyhuy... Why are there so many seats available for the Clippers when they come to town, but none for the Lakers? Aduy (drool drool).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,967
    Raise your hand if you are still making the same amount of money that you did in 1991...

Because if you are making more money than you did back then you are greedy and a sellout!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• jammingwhileIcanjammingwhileIcan Posts: 89
    edited April 2010
    on2legs wrote:
    Raise your hand if you are still making the same amount of money that you did in 1991...

Because if you are making more money than you did back then you are greedy and a sellout!

I see you using this logic in a bunch of ticket prices threads, its simply not sound. We are talking about muti-millionaires who are still making millions a year solely on the sale of past albums let alone all their other crap they pander.
    If you are a rich rockstar, and PJ is clearly an upper-class band financially, you have the luxury of not having to squeeze every penny you can out of your fans. They have the luxury, which was given to them by us fans, of being able to adhere to a somewhat selfless code of ethics. There is simply no excuse besides greed for these prices; be real you're not paying for their mortgages, youre paying so that their great grand-kids will be millionaires as well.
    Post edited by jammingwhileIcan on
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,361
    on2legs wrote:

There's a significant difference between the vast majority of American workers and people who would be completely financially secure if they never earned another dime from touring.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    coaljam wrote:
    on2legs wrote:

I see you using this logic in a bunch of ticket prices threads, its simply not sound. We are talking about muti-millionaires who are still making millions a year solely on the sale of past albums let alone all their other crap they pander.
    If you are a rich rockstar, and PJ is clearly an upper-class band financially, you have the luxury of not having to squeeze every penny you can out of your fans. They have the luxury, which was given to them by us fans, of being able to adhere to a somewhat selfless code of ethics. There is simply no excuse besides greed for these prices; be real you're not paying for their mortgages, youre paying so that their great grand-kids will be millionaires as well.

Just because they're rich rockstars doesn't mean they're stupid businessmen. Seriously, your logic is like saying since Bill Gates is a billionaire every computer should be $100. And you really can't call it greed when they pour so much money into activism and giving back to the world.
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Just because they're rich rockstars doesn't mean they're stupid businessmen. Seriously, your logic is like saying since Bill Gates is a billionaire every computer should be $100. And you really can't call it greed when they pour so much money into activism and giving back to the world.

bill gates doesnt make computers he's a software dude, so how can he give them away? should he start placing orders with dell then selling them for half price????

sure prices have gone up on everything since 91. dont think too many people would be complaining just cause tickets cost more than they did back during the ten tour, but when every other band of equal or greater size plays the same venues and has cheaper tickets that does smell of greed.

i thought 10club was suppose to be around to make sure the real fans got tickets, so the argument that higher ticket prices empties the pot alittle kinda proves 10club's purpose is becoming less useful.
  • I went back into my order history and I paid $80 for 2 tickets for the 2003 Pittsburgh show.

Now, a 7 years later I am paying $85 EACH.

If it looks like greed, smells like greed, and sounds like greed, well it must be GREED.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    I went back into my order history and I paid $80 for 2 tickets for the 2003 Pittsburgh show.

If it looks like greed, smells like greed, and sounds like greed, well it must be GREED.

At this point after reading and participating in these threads for weeks, I think I have finally concluded that the ticket prices are the way they are because of the people here who think the prices/band and everything they do is 1000% super great and when the band uses the bathroom it smells like roses. When you have blind followers, why keep prices down? They are going to show up regardless and they will yell at anyone who thinks otherwise. The caliber of some of these responses of people defending them is mind blowing. People act like we are insulting their parents. Earth to PJ cult followers....you aren't in the band, you will never be in the band , you will never be friends with the band, you will never be invited backstage.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I went back into my order history and I paid $80 for 2 tickets for the 2003 Pittsburgh show.

At this point after reading and participating in these threads for weeks, I think I have finally concluded that the ticket prices are the way they are because of the people here who think the prices/band and everything they do is 1000% super great and when the band uses the bathroom it smells like roses. When you have blind followers, why keep prices down? They are going to show up regardless and they will yell at anyone who thinks otherwise. The caliber of some of these responses of people defending them is mind blowing. People act like we are insulting their parents. Earth to PJ cult followers....you aren't in the band, you will never be in the band , you will never be friends with the band, you will never be invited backstage.

it has absolutley nothing to do with that. We could be talking about a touring IceCapades show, Jersey Boys, or a Jim Gaffigan show for all that matters. Most of the people defending the prices here are just able to live with the fact that things change. I just find it ludicrous to expect to pay the same for something in the service or entertainment industry TODAY (in 2010) as we did back in 1998. That is my whole take on the matter. I have separated this discussion from my love of the band and have been trying to see it from a realistic view. What's mind blowing is that people here can't seem to move on or get with the times and realize that things are different today.. for the band and the venues. Some people here are accusing them of nothing more than greed, and I think they are looking at it with selfish blinders on becasue THEY feel like they shouldnt have to pay more. who's really greedy?

Why didnt anyone comment on Keepinfaith44s post? everyone seems to brush over and ignore the guy who actually worked at a venue and saw firsthand that the venues were charging more.

You know just as well as I do that they arent able to do this becasue of blind followers.. They are able to sellout MSG and sell tickets at these prices becasue they are a great band. And for the record, I do think their bathrooms smell like roses, probably mixed with a little cigarette and poo :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I went back into my order history and I paid $80 for 2 tickets for the 2003 Pittsburgh show.

heheh the imaginary close personal relationships some people have with the band is pretty funny.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Wow this thread is still going... :)

It's worth it to me even though I think they've definitely turned PJ into more of a business. That really doesn't bother me - it makes some things more accessible although everything costs more and the merch prices annoy me more than the ticket prices do for some reason.

But its worth it to me - I love seeing them live and if I have to spend a little more to do so than I'm going to. Obviously I hope the prices stay at this level and don't keep going up at the same pace... but right now it seems like 08-10 tours are close enough so I'm hoping they are going to keep this as their price-point.
  • I hate to even make this post, but it is one of the most rediculous threads I have seen. Hey no one wants to pay more for anything than they use to or have to, but for someone who worked at sports/concerts venues for over 10 years, I can assure you the cost to put on a PJ or similar Big Time act is much more than lesser acts, as security is cost more due to larger crowds and need for more security staff and staff in general to handle the increased logistics, as well as increased promotion and logistic of handling a band such as PJ. Also ticketmaster and venues know they can get more money for PJ than, well you name the band, other than a few select bands. I will also say again you get what you pay for, and to me PJ is best value out there, and I am by no means ,wealthy, I work as a civil servant w/ Veterns and my wife is a State employee. I do receive military pension as well, but we still live paycheck to paycheck most of the time. However, if we get chance to do something we enjoy like going to see PJ, we sacrifice and save up for tickets and travel/logging. I have not went to a lot of concerts over last 10 years, other than PJ, but did check out prices for some shows I would consider going to, such as Claypton, The Who and a few others and prices where just as high if not higher in some cases than PJ. You always have the option of not going, giving me and others better shot at better seats
    because I can assure you prices on anything with the value of PJ is not going down, sorry it's not 1991 anymore!
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I have absolutely NO PROBLEM paying $92.05 a ticket to see the greatest band in the world!!!

If you can't afford it...don't go to the concerts or attend one concert instead of buying tickets to to every show on the tour.

I swear if they gave you free tickets to their shows you would all be on here bitching about something.

It is 2010 not 1991...
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • I hate to even make this post, but it is one of the most rediculous threads I have seen. Hey no one wants to pay more for anything than they use to or have to, but for someone who worked at sports/concerts venues for over 10 years, I can assure you the cost to put on a PJ or similar Big Time act is much more than lesser acts, as security is cost more due to larger crowds and need for more security staff and staff in general to handle the increased logistics, as well as increased promotion and logistic of handling a band such as PJ. Also ticketmaster and venues know they can get more money for PJ than, well you name the band, other than a few select bands. I will also say again you get what you pay for, and to me PJ is best value out there, and I am by no means ,wealthy, I work as a civil servant w/ Veterns and my wife is a State employee. I do receive military pension as well, but we still live paycheck to paycheck most of the time. However, if we get chance to do something we enjoy like going to see PJ, we sacrifice and save up for tickets and travel/logging. I have not went to a lot of concerts over last 10 years, other than PJ, but did check out prices for some shows I would consider going to, such as Claypton, The Who and a few others and prices where just as high if not higher in some cases than PJ. You always have the option of not going, giving me and others better shot at better seats
    because I can assure you prices on anything with the value of PJ is not going down, sorry it's not 1991 anymore!
    no way. that doesnt explain the doubling of ticket prices in a few short years. they just like making more money for less shows. i would. but then i wouldnt spend decades railing against it either.
  • I have absolutely NO PROBLEM paying $92.05 a ticket to see the greatest band in the world!!!

If you can't afford it...don't go to the concerts or attend one concert instead of buying tickets to to every show on the tour.

I swear if they gave you free tickets to their shows you would all be on here bitching about something.

It is 2010 not 1991...
    ok gotcha. no one should bring it up. just immediately stop going to shows. thanks, got it.
  • did i mention that sorry its not 1991 any more?!!?!?!

im noticing a recurring theme!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    MrSmith wrote:

heheh the imaginary close personal relationships some people have with the band is pretty funny.

What's even funnier is the typical childish, negative responses that have no bearing on the issue at hand or add anything of substance.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • MrSmith wrote:

What's even funnier is the typical childish, negative responses that have no bearing on the issue at hand or add anything of substance.
    oh i think it has everything to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.