The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• slingsling Posts: 169
    Jeanwah wrote:
    sling wrote:
    One word: Obama.

I know that I'm a lot less angry than I was during the Bush years! And I didn't have kids...
    That doesn't mean I'm thrilled with everything going on in society, but it's a lot different than 2000-2008.

The guys grew up, but also, all good music/art reflects the culture of its time. The cultural paradigm shifted.

Nowadays if you want angry, you best be finding some Teabagger-created music! :o

Obama def. did it. But to anyone who thinks that "growing up" means becoming more conservative and commercial, like the band's become, has a lot to learn regarding what "growing up" means. It means something different to everyone, and can't be generalized into a neat little package. :roll:

I was wondering if anyone would comment about my saying "The guys grew up"... 'Cause how that sounds is not what I meant, but I was just writing fast... It was just shorthand for how people change & generally become less angry & more content as they get older, as lots of people have been talking about already on here. No need to get snippy! Jesus, people like to jump all over shit around here...
  • it took forty years to grow up? well ok.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    What I find amazing is that so many people really believe they are not greedy. they are entertainers, they make a lot of money, they want to make a lot of money, they feel they deserve a lot of money. As long as people are willing to pay the higher prices, they will charge the higher prices. As for Ed whining about people downloading his music, maybe him and Lars from Mettalica can go bowling together. If he's discusing backspacer then get out and promote it with a tour that's proper, not 12 dates here or 12 dates there. Don't tell me in the digital download age you can't sell albums, maybe you just have to worker harder at it.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    lukin2006 wrote:
    What I find amazing is that so many people really believe they are not greedy. they are entertainers, they make a lot of money, they want to make a lot of money, they feel they deserve a lot of money. As long as people are willing to pay the higher prices, they will charge the higher prices. As for Ed whining about people downloading his music, maybe him and Lars from Mettalica can go bowling together. If he's discusing backspacer then get out and promote it with a tour that's proper, not 12 dates here or 12 dates there. Don't tell me in the digital download age you can't sell albums, maybe you just have to worker harder at it.

ta effin da
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    I wish we could all work less and less and make the same money, which I'm pretty sure is their goal.

For the record...I have a wife and a child and it has not changed my values, morals or ideals.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    the lame antics i was referencing earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a4ny1h-djs

it's like a caricature of Pearl Jam, spinning around like a goofball and then slamming the mic stand even those he's obviously not angry... but i guess that's what eddie vedder is supposed to do during blood? slam the mic stand...

to me this performance is borderline mockery of a great song.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    stranger34 wrote:
    the lame antics i was referencing earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a4ny1h-djs

it's like a caricature of Pearl Jam, spinning around like a goofball and then slamming the mic stand even those he's obviously not angry... but i guess that's what eddie vedder is supposed to do during blood? slam the mic stand...

I think this is just making a big deal out of really nothing........

Im sure his mood changes from day to day, hr to hr just like all of us......

When they start doing dance routines on stage - then i will be worried.
    MrSmith wrote:
    it took forty years to grow up? well ok.

I guess everybody's always still "growing up"! And then later you get back to the phase of being angry again! (but in a crotchety rage with the machine way against change instead of the youthful rage against the machine!)
    I think it's clear that stranger34 & MrSmith have really loved the band & that's why they're especially hurt & disappointed about some things now. Just out of curiosity: When was the last time each of you saw them live? Because before my show in September, I was getting down on them with the Target stuff & wasn't a big fan of Backspacer, but after that show I was back in love with them! Watching clips on YouTube or ACL/SNL isn't the same. You really need the effect of a whole concert.

I would really, really urge you guys to go see them when you can - even at the inflated price. Maybe all you need is some "make-up sex" with this "girlfriend" who you've been having a spat with over decisions she made that you disagree with. And that maybe she's changed in some ways, but not as much as you had thought - in that her basic spirit that you fell in love with is still intact.

When the band puts it out there in concert the way they do, you get swept up & don't care so much about the things you don't agree with. The overwhelming good blows away the bad. If you check all of the concert fanviews... there may be a lot of naysayers on here in general, but there are rarely any fanviews that are anything less than glowing!

When they start calling it in & play/sing with zero emotion & are just collecting a paycheck, that's when I call it quits...

And I don't think it's a bad thing to vent about stuff on here... because the band should know what their fans are thinking, positive or negative. Maybe somebody will let them know. I remember that before I joined this board I read in the mainstream media that "PJ had upset a lot of their hardcore fans with the Target deal" & some such stuff... So the word does get out there...
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Alright, as I was reading this thread, I found myself getting angrier and angrier at what was being said.

How anyone can not see that the band is making more money per show is hilarious to me.

And.....I keep hearing that 'Pearl Jam is the best live band around' Yeah? Well around where?? I thought you actually had to tour to be touted as a great live band.

Don't get me wrong, I love (or did, I'm fading away right now) this band. But, the fact that they haven't done a proper tour of the US since 2003, while plenty of other bands seem to be able too, funny how that is.

My problem with this change in attitude with the band is this. They are becoming an elitist band, who will only play where they know they will make money. Now sure, they will throw in a St. Louis or Kansas City from time to time, but, they are only playing to the markets they know are known sellers.

Why is that a problem? Because for soooooooooo long they acted like they gave a damn about the small guy, that they cared about getting their music out there, and now? Now it just comes across as a quick grab at money when they do play.

And for those that say tickets aren't overpriced? I present to you http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Using the 2003 shows I saw, for $80 a PAIR come to a total of $93.09, which last time I checked $150 a pair is a 63% increase when you factor inflation.

But, aside from all of that, the thing that really grinds my gears (thanks Peter!) is that the band has said NOTHING to us about what is going on. They just go and charge us, with no explanation, and that is what is annoying.

And yeah, sure, they don't make as much money on album sales as they used to, but, Stone even said they got $5 a disc from Target, and that Target ordered 1 million copies of Backspacer. The last time Pearl Jam made that much money on an album was Vitalogy, maybe No Code, I don't remember how much that sold.

So don't tell me they need to charge more to make up for lost revenue from album sales, because that just ain't true.
  • sling wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    it took forty years to grow up? well ok.

I guess everybody's always still "growing up"! And then later you get back to the phase of being angry again! (but in a crotchety rage with the machine way against change instead of the youthful rage against the machine!)
    i think i skipped the mellow phase and jumped straight to crotchety old man rage.
  • sling wrote:
    I think it's clear that stranger34 & MrSmith have really loved the band & that's why they're especially hurt & disappointed about some things now. Just out of curiosity: When was the last time each of you saw them live? Because before my show in September, I was getting down on them with the Target stuff & wasn't a big fan of Backspacer, but after that show I was back in love with them! Watching clips on YouTube or ACL/SNL isn't the same. You really need the effect of a whole concert.

I would really, really urge you guys to go see them when you can - even at the inflated price. Maybe all you need is some "make-up sex" with this "girlfriend" who you've been having a spat with over decisions she made that you disagree with. And that maybe she's changed in some ways, but not as much as you had thought - in that her basic spirit that you fell in love with is still intact.

When the band puts it out there in concert the way they do, you get swept up & don't care so much about the things you don't agree with. The overwhelming good blows away the bad. If you check all of the concert fanviews... there may be a lot of naysayers on here in general, but there are rarely any fanviews that are anything less than glowing!

When they start calling it in & play/sing with zero emotion & are just collecting a paycheck, that's when I call it quits...

And I don't think it's a bad thing to vent about stuff on here... because the band should know what their fans are thinking, positive or negative. Maybe somebody will let them know. I remember that before I joined this board I read in the mainstream media that "PJ had upset a lot of their hardcore fans with the Target deal" & some such stuff... So the word does get out there...

i dont think they are bad now at all. the last two shows i saw wereACL and Roo and they were great. i just wouldnt pay 90 to sit on the top deck to see them. but since they dont really tour the US anymore really, it doesnt matter what i think anyway.

they just cant play Not FOr You now. they dont have the rage for it :)
  • Is $92.05 too much? Yes. Will I pay it if they ever come back to Florida? Of course. They are my favorite band and they put on a damn good show. What people are getting worked up about is that they are now one of the most expensive bands from the last 20 years to see, not by much, but they are. Which is a change from what they used to be.

I don't think anyone is saying they aren't worth it but that doesn't change the fact they cost a good amount to see. They biggest thing that bothers me anymore is the way they announce their shows. I can understand that they don't want to tour as extensively as they have in the past. They are getting older and I can respect that but you could still give fans a little more notice as to where you are going and when you might be there so those without as much disposable income can better prepare.

Not just announce 10 shows at a time that go on sale a week later. Then you have people wondering if their only chance to see them will be to drop a couple hundred dollars on tickets and plan to get a hotel room a few states over in 2 months. Not knowing if there will be any closer shows this tour. I'm sure a lot of you do have the income to hop on a plane and see them wherever over the weekend but a lot of us don't. The people who say if you don't just pay whatever it costs or live up north then you aren't a true fan are just ignorant as well as snobs. Not everyone has as much money to spend as you or lives somewhere near Boston, NY, LA, Philly or Seattle.

I just kind of feel left out in the cold being fan who doesn't make a lot of money. I just spent 140 on 2 tickets to Kings of Leon after I found out that Pearl Jam wasn't coming anytime soon but I wish I had the opportunity to spend 45 more to see them. At least I knew the KoL tickets were going on sale well in advance and now I have 6 months to plan my hour and a half drive to Tampa. I'm sure those of you who think that this band can do no wrong will interpret this as bitching and maybe it is. But I think I have a right to. They are still my favorite band and will probably always will be. I don't feel they owe me anything but I don't owe them either
  • breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    stranger34 wrote:

christ! now we have to hate "blood"?

fuck this. this is what they feel their work is worth. pay it or don't. whatever!

then please, for the love of Jesus Christ, our immortal savior....SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!
    edited March 2010
    sling wrote:

Good post. I saw them Philly night 2 in 09 and had a blast. You're right though, this is a good forum for getting pov's out there, and even though I had a great time at a show that doesn't mean I don't have some very strong reservations about the current state of the band.
    Post edited by stranger34 on
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    stranger34 wrote:

that is a particually poor version of that song, and it is rare to see it like that.
    everybody has their off nights
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    breath123 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

fuck this. this is what they feel their work is worth. pay it or don't. whatever!

then please, for the love of Jesus Christ, our immortal savior....SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

This thread is for people who don't agree with the prices. The title clearly says that the price is too much and you had the choice not to post in it. Take your own advice.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    breath123 wrote:

This thread is for people who don't agree with the prices. The title clearly says that the price is too much and you had the choice not to post in it. Take your own advice.

what a genuinely brilliant retort... i love it.

i wish i had used it much earlier with all those sheeple who were saying the same as breath123.... which by the way is the most original username i've ever come across.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,361
    breath123 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

Is this a reference to Tim Tebow?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    Someone should make t-shirts or an unauthorised poster with a caricature of Ed sitting in the rafters of a stadium with a bloody nose that drips a stain in the form of $92.05 :lol:
    for those who think im nuts for noting behavioral changes in eddie. please watch these: i do feel bad because there may be something wrong with him:

eddie 06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E9hZMJXzSY

eddie 09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2QEqQoygws

eddie vedder 09 with the far away eyes doesn't even seem like him. maybe hes too into his psychotropics
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    seriously nobody answered me earlier, where the fuck are they charging 92.05 for tickets
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    stranger34 wrote:
    ....and even though I had a great time at a show that doesn't mean I don't have some very strong reservations about the current state of the band.

:roll:
    satansbed wrote:
    seriously nobody answered me earlier, where the fuck are they charging 92.05 for tickets

I think that was the out the door price at MSG, I think the ticket price was 85... I could be wrong.
    stranger34 wrote:
    for those who think im nuts for noting behavioral changes in eddie. please watch these: i do feel bad because there may be something wrong with him:

eddie 06

eddie 09

eddie vedder 09 with the far away eyes doesn't even seem like him. maybe hes too into his psychotropics

Has anyone told you that you might have an un healthy interest in the band?
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    satansbed wrote:
    in ticket master the ticket was 77$ and with fees +service go up 92;05,but for international buyers like u and me was 96.50
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    to be fair, I think anyone who posts here probably has an unhealthy interest in the band
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    stranger34 wrote:

eddie 06

eddie 09

Fella, you might be going off the deep end! Ticket prices suck, I get that, but far away eyes? Did he not 'look at you during'?

"why now u dont bitching??" makes more sense to me.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    stranger34 wrote:

eddie 06

eddie 09

I am REALLY tryin to see your side of this, but forgive me for saying that I think your point is ridiculous. I remember seeing that interview awhile ago and thinking how interesting that he is so soft spoken like I've always heard. But thank you for posting that, I love what he says at the end about how important those three hours were 18 years ago. I think you just reinforced the fact that Ed is a regular dude and one grateful guy. I cant see the 'far away' eyes and dont see how this shows that he is an "annoying rockstar" like you have said.

There may be something wrong with him?! what the heck does that mean? What are you suggesting? It's starting to sound like you have some weird issues with ED.. like personal issues. Did he not sign your sweaty bare chest once back in 1994? I'm just kiddin, kidding...I understand you have liked the band in the past, but I just dont get it... maybe you're looking too deeply into it. I have always heard that Ed is very engaging in person and extrememly soft spoken.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    stranger34 wrote:

eddie 06

eddie 09

This may be one of the strangest posts I've seen on this board. :?

Doesn't seem like him?? You don't even know him!

Maybe if I keep staring at his eyes I'll see something weird?
    :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
This discussion has been closed.