The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Jeanwah wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    did i mention that sorry its not 1991 any more?!!?!?!

im noticing a recurring theme!
    I think it's funny that people will say this over and over but not even stop and consider that bands that are comparable to PJ (Radiohead, Green Day, Phish, etc) DO NOT CHARGE NEARLY AS MUCH. I guess it's such a simple fact to play ignorance too...
    I need to know... Why do people keep mentioning Phish? I heard of them... but, I don't know if I've ever heard anything by them? Are they good... like Radiohead/Pearl Jam good? Or are they more like Dave Matthews Band 'Good'?
    I also think that people need to make fair comparisons... like comparing $92.00 for the whole house, compared to Tom Petty's $150 to $35 for his gigs. Do Petty's average out to $90... or closer to $50? That would be a fair comparison.
    (and just to let you know... NO, I would not pay $92.00 to see Pearl Jam from the worst seat in the house)
    Either way... the fact remains the price is $92.00. Everything else... reason why, such as greed, inflation, increases in gasoline, kids and parenthood, Stone's next haircut is going to cost a ton, whatever... it's all pure speculation that is based on opinion... not fact... which is commonly known as 'Bullshit'.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • NacreRockNacreRock Posts: 91
    This thread is like a scratched vinyl record that keeps skipping backwards and playing the same part of a song over and over and over again. I thought vinyl was supposed to sound better..... :roll:
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    Jeanwah wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    did i mention that sorry its not 1991 any more?!!?!?!

im noticing a recurring theme!
    I think it's funny that people will say this over and over but not even stop and consider that bands that are comparable to PJ (Radiohead, Green Day, Phish, etc) DO NOT CHARGE NEARLY AS MUCH. I guess it's such a simple fact to play ignorance too...

actually id like to point out that pearl jam are only charging 79, which is inflated by 6 dollars by a mandatory parking fee, and then Ticketmaster are charging another 14.90

green day for the top end seats are charging 70 for the equivalent of fan club seats, its not the ten club thats ripping you off its Ticketmaster

this is for the jiffey lube stadium for both bands,

so in essence they are only charging 3 dollars more than green day. oh and do you know who gets the presale for greenday?? the Fans?? no its CITI credit card customers.... so yeah green day are so fan friendly :roll:
    I need to know... Why do people keep mentioning Phish? I heard of them... but, I don't know if I've ever heard anything by them? Are they good... like Radiohead/Pearl Jam good? Or are they more like Dave Matthews Band 'Good'?
    I also think that people need to make fair comparisons... like comparing $92.00 for the whole house, compared to Tom Petty's $150 to $35 for his gigs. Do Petty's average out to $90... or closer to $50? That would be a fair comparison.
    (and just to let you know... NO, I would not pay $92.00 to see Pearl Jam from the worst seat in the house)
    Either way... the fact remains the price is $92.00. Everything else... reason why, such as greed, inflation, increases in gasoline, kids and parenthood, Stone's next haircut is going to cost a ton, whatever... it's all pure speculation that is based on opinion... not fact... which is commonly known as 'Bullshit'.[/quote]

Get yourself some tickets for phish's tour this summer, they still shred it. and their lights guy is an artist.
    you use alot of ellipses :D
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • I DO remember on the radio a DJ quoting Vedder saying something how he stands on neil young and someone elses side of illegal downloads. How they've made their millions...so whats the big deal? Maybe this isn't a point to be made since I dont have the article.

And I do agree that Eddies voice is dwindling on the live bootlegs. I'm in denial of this, and have stopped wanting to get every bootleg...or any rather (at least paying for).
    -All that's sacred comes from youth.
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    That cracks me up the "Why now u don't bitching".

I can't believe this thread is still going. Stranger 34 should be so pleased with herself.

Somebody should give her a hug and toss her a couple of quarters to help offset the Pearl Jam's blatant ripoff.

he is glad the thread got the word out
    drsluggo wrote:
    Wow this thread is still going... :)

It's worth it to me even though I think they've definitely turned PJ into more of a business. That really doesn't bother me - it makes some things more accessible although everything costs more and the merch prices annoy me more than the ticket prices do for some reason.

But its worth it to me - I love seeing them live and if I have to spend a little more to do so than I'm going to. Obviously I hope the prices stay at this level and don't keep going up at the same pace... but right now it seems like 08-10 tours are close enough so I'm hoping they are going to keep this as their price-point.

ok if you can admit they are turning PJ into "more of a business" then I think people here should understand that that is a MAJOR DEPARTURE from the ethos of the band and many of its big fans
    Again, the OP is right and using Ed's words showed how hypocritical the band has become.

So I asked how can these lyrics still have meaning? This very well might be my last PJ tour I attend. Things just feel a bit hollow right now.

And like weeds,.. with big leaves
    Stealing light from what's beneath
    Where they have more,...
    Still they take more
    Counts his money every morning
    The only thing that keeps him horny
    Locked in a giant house, that's alarming
    The townsfolk,... they all laugh
    Who made, who made up, made up the myth
    That we were born to be covered in bliss?
    Who set the standard, born to be rich?

yea, I've decided that this is my farewell tour. Doing 3 shows this go round, unless things change drastically in the PJ universe (return to ethics and good new music) then I may skip the next time or at max do 1 show.
  • stranger34 wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:
    Wow this thread is still going... :)

It's worth it to me even though I think they've definitely turned PJ into more of a business. That really doesn't bother me - it makes some things more accessible although everything costs more and the merch prices annoy me more than the ticket prices do for some reason.

But its worth it to me - I love seeing them live and if I have to spend a little more to do so than I'm going to. Obviously I hope the prices stay at this level and don't keep going up at the same pace... but right now it seems like 08-10 tours are close enough so I'm hoping they are going to keep this as their price-point.

ok if you can admit they are turning PJ into "more of a business" then I think people here should understand that that is a MAJOR DEPARTURE from the ethos of the band and many of its big fans

Well said Stranger. These prices and goods made in CHINA are a major departure from what the band once stood for.

I often invite guest, when the wife is unable to attend, to PJ shows. For many it was often their first experience.

I have decent seniority so my seats are normally 12th row floor. Whenever my guest would ask the ticket price I took pride in saying $40. The response was always "Wow". I would add how the tickets came from the fan club and how PJ like to keep the price down, etc.

Well that is no longer the case.
  • Stranger.

No more tongue in cheek. The band is not angry at the world anymore. They have matured and, speaking at least for myself, so has its fan base.

I can freely admit that PJ's values have changed, but so have ours. You can call it 'ripping off the fans', but I call it exercising their right to perform at the value they can demand. They could charge more- and many bands do. I'm hearing Phish and Muse and Lady Gaga and a bunch of other bands that, let's get serious, have done nothing compared to our era's Rolling Stones. They cannot compare.

If your point was to say "Pearl Jam values making a dollar" then point taken. Fully in agreement. If your point is exactly what the thread title is... then you are wrong. Flat out. You are trying to impose your expectations of how the band should act and what they should value... when that decision is for them.

The prices are fair. They care about their fans. They are still decent people. You have not said you will not be going to the shows- obviously, the prices are not that distasteful.

I am just hoping for at least another album and another opportunity to see them in western Canada before they call it quits (2005 to 2009 was a long time). Try supporting them to ensure this happens please!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Stranger.

No more tongue in cheek. The band is not angry at the world anymore. They have matured and, speaking at least for myself, so has its fan base.

I can freely admit that PJ's values have changed, but so have ours. You can call it 'ripping off the fans', but I call it exercising their right to perform at the value they can demand. They could charge more- and many bands do. I'm hearing Phish and Muse and Lady Gaga and a bunch of other bands that, let's get serious, have done nothing compared to our era's Rolling Stones. They cannot compare.

If your point was to say "Pearl Jam values making a dollar" then point taken. Fully in agreement. If your point is exactly what the thread title is... then you are wrong. Flat out. You are trying to impose your expectations of how the band should act and what they should value... when that decision is for them.

The prices are fair. They care about their fans. They are still decent people. You have not said you will not be going to the shows- obviously, the prices are not that distasteful.

I am just hoping for at least another album and another opportunity to see them in western Canada before they call it quits (2005 to 2009 was a long time). Try supporting them to ensure this happens please!

Just because I'm lucky enough to have a good job and can afford to go doesn't mean anything. I won't go multiple times again and the whole entity seems hollow lately.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,941
    Cosmo wrote:
    Look on the bright side...
    Maybe this will put an end to that notion that the more shows you go to... the bigger a fan you are... or whatever it's supposed to do for you.
    People can only afford to go to one show... and be grateful for it.
    that last line. THANK YOU!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    It´s strange how people forget to mention the TC membership annual fee. I did not read this entire thread I must say.

For example ACDC fanclub charges about 50 dollars for being part of it. You get predates for purchasing tik´s as well and cool stuff each year. Let´s face it. ACDC has more hard core fans around the world than PJ. I´m sure they have more fans affiliated to their fanclub than Pearl Jam. Just imagine how much more dough they are making from fan members compared to Pearl Jam. And still, this being said, look how both keep selling out each show.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
    Oh, and one last thing. Few bands perform more than 40 different songs in each tour. How many different songs have pearl jam performed since last year´s pre backspacer tour?

I had the opportunity to see them 4 times last year. My first ever pj shows. Seattle 1 & 2. LA 1 & 2. Over 100 songs. 60 Different tunes!!!!
    force-10 wrote:
    Oh, and one last thing. Few bands perform more than 40 different songs in each tour. How many different songs have pearl jam performed since last year´s pre backspacer tour?

I had the opportunity to see them 4 times last year. My first ever pj shows. Seattle 1 & 2. LA 1 & 2. Over 100 songs. 60 Different tunes!!!!

Songs performed Backspacer tour
    Originals
    "1/2 Full"
    "Alive"
    "All Night"
    "All Those Yesterdays"
    "Amongst the Waves"
    "Animal"
    "Bee Girl"
    "Better Man"
    "Big Wave"
    "Black"
    "Blood"
    "Brain of J."
    "Brother"
    "Breakerfall"
    "Breath"
    "Bugs"
    "Comatose"
    "Come Back"
    "Corduroy"
    "Daughter"
    "Deep"
    "Dissident"
    "Do the Evolution"
    "Down"
    "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"
    "The End"
    "Even Flow"
    "Faithfull"
    "The Fixer"
    "Footsteps"
    "Force of Nature"
    "Garden"
    "Ghost"
    "Given to Fly"
    "Glorified G"
    "Go"
    "Gods' Dice"
    "Gone"
    "Gonna See My Friend"
    "Got Some"
    "Greatest Waterfall"
    "Green Disease"
    "Grievance"
    "Hail, Hail"
    "Habit"
    "Hard to Imagine"
    "Hold On"
    "I Am Mine"
    "I Got Id"
    "Immortality"
    "In Hiding"
    "In My Tree"
    "Indifference"
    "Inside Job"
    "Insignificance"
    "Jazz Odyssey"
    "Johnny Guitar"
    "Just Breathe"
    "Last Exit"
    "Leash"
    "Life Wasted"
    "Light Years"
    "Long Road"
    "Low Light"
    "Lukin"
    "Man of the Hour"
    "Mankind"
    "Marker In The Sand"
    "MFC"
    "No More"
    "No Way"
    "Not for You"
    "Nothing as It Seems"
    "Nothingman"
    "Oceans"
    "Of the Girl"
    "Off He Goes"
    "Once"
    "Out of My Mind"
    "Parachutes"
    "Parting Ways"
    "Porch"
    "Present Tense"
    "Push Me, Pull Me"
    "Rats"
    "Rearviewmirror"
    "Red Mosquito"
    "Release"
    "Rival"
    "Sad"
    "Satan's Bed"
    "Save You"
    "Severed Hand"
    "Sleight of Hand"
    "Smile"
    "Sometimes"
    "Speed Of Sound"
    "Spin the Black Circle"
    "State of Love and Trust"
    "Supersonic"
    "Sweet Lew"
    "Tremor Christ"
    "Unemployable"
    "Unthought Known"
    "Untitled"
    "Wasted Reprise"
    "Whipping"
    "Why Go"
    "Wishlist"
    "World Wide Suicide"
    "Yellow Ledbetter"
    Covers
    "All Along the Watchtower" (Bob Dylan)
    "Angie" (The Rolling Stones) (snippet)
    "Another Brick in the Wall" (Pink Floyd) (snippet)
    "Atomic Dog" (George Clinton) (snippet)
    "Baba O'Riley" (The Who)
    "Ben" (Michael Jackson) (snippet)
    "Better Be Home Soon" (Crowded House) (with Neil Finn and Liam Finn)
    "Blitzkrieg Bop" (Ramones) (snippet)
    "Crazy Mary" (Victoria Williams)
    "Crown of Thorns" (Mother Love Bone)
    "Driven To Tears" (The Police)
    "Fuckin' Up" (Neil Young)
    "Golden State" (John Doe)
    "Happy Birthday" (traditional)
    "Hunger Strike" (Temple of the Dog)
    "I Believe In Miracles" (Ramones)
    "I Got You" (Split Enz) (with Neil Finn and Liam Finn)
    "If You Want Blood You've Got It" (AC/DC)
    "Interstellar Overdrive" (Pink Floyd) (snippet)
    "Kick Out the Jams" (MC5)
    "Last Kiss" (Wayne Cochran)
    "Leaving Here" (Edward Holland, Jr.)
    "Little Wing" (Jimi Hendrix)
    "Love, Reign o'er Me" (The Who)
    "Modern Girl" (Sleater-Kinney) (snippet)
    "Mountain Song"
    "Not Given Likely"(Chris Knox) (with Neil Finn and Liam Finn)
    "The Needle and the Damage Done" (Neil Young)
    "The Real Me" (The Who)
    "Rockin' in the Free World" (Neil Young)
    "Save It for Later" (The Beat) (snippet)
    "Search and Destroy" (The Stooges)
    "So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star"
    "Soldier of Love (Lay Down Your Arms)" (Arthur Alexander)
    "Sonic Reducer" (The Dead Boys)
    "The Star-Spangled Banner" (Francis Scott Key and John Stafford Smith)
    "Sugar Mountain" (Neil Young)
    "Sympathy for the Devil" (Jagger/Richards) (snippet)
    "Throw Your Hatred Down" (Neil Young)
    "Under Pressure" (Queen)
    "Whip It" (Devo)
    "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" (Johnny Thunders)
    "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" (The Beatles)

How many different songs????
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    it's not that band compared to other acts...plus, some of it goes to charity.
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    force-10 wrote:
    Covers
    "So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star"

That would be The Byrds, covered by a ton of artists from Patti Smith to Tom Petty.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    stranger34 wrote:
    Again, the OP is right and using Ed's words showed how hypocritical the band has become.

So I asked how can these lyrics still have meaning? This very well might be my last PJ tour I attend. Things just feel a bit hollow right now.

Where they have more,...
    Still they take more

yea, I've decided that this is my farewell tour. Doing 3 shows this go round, unless things change drastically in the PJ universe (return to ethics and good new music) then I may skip the next time or at max do 1 show.

Wow, you are really taking a stand against the band...only 3 shows this time, and maybe 1 next time! Way to stand up for what you believe in! It is difficult to give your "arguments" any credibilty because of your contradictory actions.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    They have a right to make a living, get over it people. This isn't 1992 anymore. The band has maintained integrity and matured all the while.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    while i cannot remember an argument as big as this in 08, it might have happened...

one thing that needs to be pointed out is How much have tickets gone up since 08???

i cant say for ticketbastard, but 10c tickets for the garden went up a HUGE $4 a pair in 2 years :lol::lol:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • They have a right to make a living, get over it people. This isn't 1992 anymore. The band has maintained integrity and matured all the while.
    wow thats so insightful and original. as if that hasnt been said and proven to be a silly thing to say 20 times already in this thread.

more reading, less typing.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

Where they have more,...
    Still they take more

Wow, you are really taking a stand against the band...only 3 shows this time, and maybe 1 next time! Way to stand up for what you believe in! It is difficult to give your "arguments" any credibilty because of your contradictory actions.
    :lol::lol:
  • while i cannot remember an argument as big as this in 08, it might have happened...

one thing that needs to be pointed out is How much have tickets gone up since 08???

i cant say for ticketbastard, but 10c tickets for the garden went up a HUGE $4 a pair in 2 years :lol::lol:

We may have hit the ceiling with ticket prices, but you can't sit here read the thread and not agree since 2003 prices have skyrocketed.

Here is what I have paid for 10c tickets:
    2003-$40 each
    2006-$57 each
    2008-$74 each
    2009-$83 each
    2010-$85 each

So, tickets prices have double in a 7 years. Why?

Using an inflation calculator that $40 ticket today should cost $46.

Don't blame the $45 increase on ticketmaster or live nation.

Again the core beliefs of what this band once stood for is quickly eroding right from under their own feet.

I really wish they would address this issue.

Maybe a stop raising the ticket prices campaign is needed.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    while i cannot remember an argument as big as this in 08, it might have happened...

We may have hit the ceiling with ticket prices, but you can't sit here read the thread and not agree since 2003 prices have skyrocketed.

Here is what I have paid for 10c tickets:
    2003-$40 each
    2006-$57 each
    2008-$74 each
    2009-$83 each
    2010-$85 each

So, tickets prices have double in a 7 years. Why?

Using an inflation calculator that $40 ticket today should cost $46.

Don't blame the $45 increase on ticketmaster or live nation.

Again the core beliefs of what this band once stood for is quickly eroding right from under their own feet.

I really wish they would address this issue.

Maybe a stop raising the ticket prices campaign is needed.

why do you feel like they owe you an explanation?

I find it interesting that people like you make these observations yet you have absolutely no idea what the venues are charging the band to rent the facility, no idea what the band pays for travel/hotel/food for its crew now versus then, etc.

just shut up
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Oh yeah, with the economic downturn venues are charging more. Not good business.

When the band preaches against greed in their music and then turns around and becomes greedy, well yes they to own an explanation.

I will never shut up.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    Oh yeah, with the economic downturn venues are charging more. Not good business.

When the band preaches against greed in their music and then turns around and becomes greedy, well yes they to own an explanation.

I will never shut up.

uh....what competition do the venues have that keeps them honest? Pearl Jam will tour and they will sell out. The venue will get what it wants.

Do you have any business sense? Do you understand supply and demand? The supply of concert arenas is fairly small. It's not like PJ can come to Noblesville Indiana and get one venue to undercut another.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • rybesrybes Posts: 136
    How is 92.05 too much? Most concert tickets are at an equal cost these days, I don't remember the last show I attended that cost less than 75$.

Minimum wage these days is 10$ in Canada, not sure what it is in the states, but a days work yields roughly 80$ so why should 92.5$ be too much to pay for a days work? Or is your time more important than everyone else's?

Just like anything else, if you don't feel you can afford to attend than don't. As someone mentioned supply and demand.

The band has always been great at keeping their ticket prices down, and now when they are forced to up the price of admission all you guys do is bitch. They DON'T have to tour... they could just call it quits, but then again I'm sure that wouldn't lead to any complaining at all.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,941
    I haven't read this whole , nor am I going to , but has anyone mentioned how they are no longer with Sony? You know labels foot the bill for many things on a tour. Now it's all on PJ to take care of EVERYTHING.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    I haven't read this whole , nor am I going to , but has anyone mentioned how they are no longer with Sony? You know labels foot the bill for many things on a tour. Now it's all on PJ to take care of EVERYTHING.

Thank you!!! That helps me a lot. Everything else I have read just hasn't defended the huge increase.

The Riot Act tour was under Sony.

This is what I was looking for!

Not the, "hey don't go if you can't pay" or "they are a business", "they are worth it".

I am assuming Wilco is under a big label, thus they can play small venues for $30.

Not that the band has too but it would have been nice if they explained the huge increase.
This discussion has been closed.