The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

1181920212224»

Comments

• force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    force-10 wrote:
    Very good points, I tried to give some insight on the "$92.05 is to much" thread based on my experiences working at 2 venues you may be familar w/ as I see you are from upstate NY. I worked mostly security at SPAC and TU Center for many years and tried to give the people who where saying it was clearly GREED by PJ that has caused this dramatic increase in PJ tickets, when they never take into account the very dramatic actual increase in just security at the venues, especially for bands the quality of PJ. It is also not economically sound to try compare consumer goods with what it cost for a band to tour, or for venue to put on events as the cost of just security and insurance has increased far more than inflation, especially post 9/11 and that is a fact. I am by no means a PJ apologist or sheep(I have issue w/ some of their political statements as it undermines our troops,never voted for a Bush just for the record) or whatever some are saying, my points are based on my experiences and knowledge of atleast part of the business. I know everyone has a right to their opinion and thats fine I guess.

These are two (security and insurance) almost certain facts. How some unsatisfied members made a good job on avoiding this comment is beyond my imagination.

Funny how people try to make you look as a sheep when you don´t agree that this band has gone to hell. My personal opinion? People that think they are too special and everyone else is a moron.

2003 was after 9/11, tickets were still $40.

Don't blame the 100% increase on that event.

Who said 9/11 is the reason behind 100% of increase?

Besides, look how much they will be spending on that reforestation in washington. What? You want proof and have analysts making sure this is true? I would not be amazed to find out some of you would like that, too.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • some people like to bitch about everything....just miserable people

I'm not bitching and I'm not a miserable person.

I love Pearl Jams music just as much as you and those who are trying to defend this enormous price increase.

The only post that has some legitimacy is PJ's split with SONY and increasing their tour cost. But like another poster illustrated the extra $40 per ticket is bringing in an additional $800,000 per show. I know this isn't pure profit but I can't imagine SONY laying out this much for each show.

I don't agree with increases in security, insurance, fuel, or their charitable contributions. One's giving should never be passed along to a consumer.

I challenge you to listen to Green Disease with some of the thoughts offered in this post on your mind.

For me it's simple I question the motives of the band. They had a clear message with this song and at least through my eyes and few others here they are now practicing what they preached against.

It's a disease,... and they're all green
    It emanates from their being
    A satiation,.. with occupation

Just because the Stones, Police, and The Boss charge more for their tickets at the end of their careers doesn't make it right. PJ need not do this.

Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    Turns out
    He's the one making waves

Hey, captain Ed your ticket increases are out of hand. I believed you that greed is wrong, but you are really killing the message charging me twice as much for the same show 7 years later.
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    some people like to bitch about everything....just miserable people

I'm not bitching and I'm not a miserable person.

I love Pearl Jams music just as much as you and those who are trying to defend this enormous price increase.

The only post that has some legitimacy is PJ's split with SONY and increasing their tour cost. But like another poster illustrated the extra $40 per ticket is bringing in an additional $800,000 per show. I know this isn't pure profit but I can't imagine SONY laying out this much for each show.

I don't agree with increases in security, insurance, fuel, or their charitable contributions. One's giving should never be passed along to a consumer.

I challenge you to listen to Green Disease with some of the thoughts offered in this post on your mind.

For me it's simple I question the motives of the band. They had a clear message with this song and at least through my eyes and few others here they are now practicing what they preached against.

It's a disease,... and they're all green
    It emanates from their being
    A satiation,.. with occupation

Just because the Stones, Police, and The Boss charge more for their tickets at the end of their careers doesn't make it right. PJ need not do this.

Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    Turns out
    He's the one making waves

Hey, captain Ed your ticket increases are out of hand. I believed you that greed is wrong, but you are really killing the message charging me twice as much for the same show 7 years later.

if he keeps it up he'll become a man we'll soon forget
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    the point i keep on bring up over and over and over again keeps on getting ignored.

From somebody who is not from the US, you guys get a great deal on tickets. I paid $90 australian back in 2003 to see pearl jam. While i cant tell you the exchange rate back then, on todays exchange rate, it would be about $85US.
    For any international arena sized band, you are looking at paying that price all of the time. For bigger bands, it will be more. Last year, PJ public sale tickets were $123AUD, so maybe $115USD, at the same time, Crippleback, sorry nickelback were touring and charging $140
    Prices in Europe and the UK are not too much different.
    perhaps ticket prices in the US are starting to come into line with the rest of the world.

you have to ask yourself the question, do you think you are getting your moneys worth??? for $92 you get 2.5 hours of pearl jam, 45 mins of a support act. that is well less than $1 a minute. worth it in my books
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    God, make it go away! This is their living! Complain all you want but you're still buying.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Concert tickets for a band of PJ's calibur are not really based on cost...they are more based on current market conditions. Livenation has forever changed the concert industry by getting bands to agree to higher ticket prices.

Splitting from Sony has nothing to do with the band's touring costs. For the most part, only "baby" bands get tour support from their record labels. Labels would provide tour support because most bands couldn't afford to go onthe road without it. The amount of tour support is charged to the band's unrecouped advance fromthe label, so if a band eventually earns some $$, they end up paying the support back to the label.
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    they charge more or less the same as green day
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    satansbed wrote:
    they charge more or less the same as green day

No, they charge more than Green Day. Ticket prices for Green Day's August concert in Camden have ticket prices of $35, $50, $60, $70, $85 or $20 for a lawn ticket. That's how bands should do it....charge less for crappy seats....unlike Pearl Jam who will charge $85 for the back of the lawn.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02004 ... orcatid=60
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sooo ... if the band has gotten green disease and are bunch of sellouts - why the heck are you guys still going to shows and supporting these sell outs? ... it's a kin to me griping about walmart and how bad they are and still shopping there ... you want the band to have principles - maybe you should too?
  • And, as Polaris has put it so succinctly... the 'whiners' need to finally put their money where their mouth is.

You go on and on about principles... we've heard it for 50 pages. Get some yourself. Actually refrain from supporting the band. Don't buy tickets and, please, for the sake of the sheeple... stop nauseating us with the incessant whining. Seriously- it's pathetic. And as well... stop doing so under the guise of liberating minds from the spell we're all under- unable to recognize the great injustice we've been done because we're simple.

The consistent whiners one here are the people that drive me crazy- and this is what they need to know. The sheeple are on to you. You make up the following list of people:

I golf with you- you think the rough is too unfair.
    I go to concerts with you- you think the setlist was the shits.
    I go to work with you- you think the job sucks.
    I say I like a song- you tell me I shouldn't and provide me reasons why.
    Blah blah blah.

The whiners are just unhappy people and if PJ charged $60... they'd find a reason to bitch. It's officially now comical. Looking forward to partying with you guys someday- man... that would be a hoot! Didn't your Moms hug you enough?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    polaris_x wrote:
    sooo ... if the band has gotten green disease and are bunch of sellouts - why the heck are you guys still going to shows and supporting these sell outs? ... it's a kin to me griping about walmart and how bad they are and still shopping there ... you want the band to have principles - maybe you should too?

Let's be clear, as with most things, there are more than just 2 sides to this discussion.

I believe Pearl Jam ticket prices have increased drastically and shows that they are no longer fighting to keep prices low for their fans.

I don't think they are sell-outs or greedy. It's just a shift in what's important to them. I just wish people would stop pointing to Pearl Jam's ticket prices and saying that they are so good to their fans. What was once a reality is no more. I'm not sure why people can't see it.
    hippiemom = goodness
    And, as Polaris has put it so succinctly... the 'whiners' need to finally put their money where their mouth is.

You go on and on about principles... we've heard it for 50 pages. Get some yourself. Actually refrain from supporting the band. Don't buy tickets and, please, for the sake of the sheeple... stop nauseating us with the incessant whining. Seriously- it's pathetic. And as well... stop doing so under the guise of liberating minds from the spell we're all under- unable to recognize the great injustice we've been done because we're simple.

The consistent whiners one here are the people that drive me crazy- and this is what they need to know. The sheeple are on to you. You make up the following list of people:

I golf with you- you think the rough is too unfair.
    I go to concerts with you- you think the setlist was the shits.
    I go to work with you- you think the job sucks.
    I say I like a song- you tell me I shouldn't and provide me reasons why.
    Blah blah blah.

The whiners are just unhappy people and if PJ charged $60... they'd find a reason to bitch. It's officially now comical. Looking forward to partying with you guys someday- man... that would be a hoot! Didn't your Moms hug you enough?

Wow, what a well thought out argument. You have it all figured out.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Let's be clear, as with most things, there are more than just 2 sides to this discussion.

I believe Pearl Jam ticket prices have increased drastically and shows that they are no longer fighting to keep prices low for their fans.

I don't think they are sell-outs or greedy. It's just a shift in what's important to them. I just wish people would stop pointing to Pearl Jam's ticket prices and saying that they are so good to their fans. What was once a reality is no more. I'm not sure why people can't see it.

sure ... but it's 50 pages old ... it's pretty clear the majority of the disgruntled are saying the band has gotten greedy ... you can read it for yourself ...

secondly - it's been shown on here that although prices are not the lowest out there - they are FAR from the most expensive ... in fact, they are still in the lower end ... sure, $79 is expensive for nosebleed seats but do you think ticketmaster will allow PJ to scoop the "BEST SEATS" in the house and sell them for $79 and then give the rest of the seats to TM to have them sell it for less ... no way that's gonna happen ...

edit: ok ...it's only 47 pages long ... ;)
    polaris_x wrote:

sure ... but it's 50 pages old ... it's pretty clear the majority of the disgruntled are saying the band has gotten greedy ... you can read it for yourself ...

secondly - it's been shown on here that although prices are not the lowest out there - they are FAR from the most expensive ... in fact, they are still in the lower end ... sure, $79 is expensive for nosebleed seats but do you think ticketmaster will allow PJ to scoop the "BEST SEATS" in the house and sell them for $79 and then give the rest of the seats to TM to have them sell it for less ... no way that's gonna happen ...

edit: ok ...it's only 47 pages long ... ;)

It's 47 pages long because some people won't see that Pearl Jam has changed their importance level on setting ticket prices. It's 47 pages long because some people think PJ sold out and there is no telling them otherwise. It's 47 pages long because some people think PJ doesn't do anything wrong and are perfect.

I've stated my piece and then I left because it was going no where. As usual, the 2 extremes end up yelling at each other and everyone else in the middle gets bored with the whole thing. It really should be moved the A Moving Train as it fits well over there. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    What I don't understand is....based on the title, this thread was clearly an airing of grievances of people who don't agree with the ticket prices. It went south when people who disagree came in here yelling and bashing people who don't agree that PJ' is the most perfect and generous entity ever. If you don't agree that prices are too high then you should have stayed away from this thread. There would have been no hostility or fighting. It's not too late for that. Just go away if you think pearl jam is perfect.
This discussion has been closed.