The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    drsluggo wrote:
    And personally I think it is ludicrous to imagine complaining about paying each guy in the band $5 and hour to play the best music I have ever heard! Especially when we pay $40 to fill our tanks, $80 to talk on a phone, $50 to wander the silly internets, etc... It just seems silly when people justify that it's too expensive becasue Ed didnt like big corporations 12 years ago or he has evolved into an annoying rockstar. I say it's time to live in the Present, not the past.

OK... this one I have to disagree with. I have no problem paying each member in the band $15 for a ticket (including boom I suppose w/ service fees). But... you're paying $15 * 15-20,000 people. So that analogy its really between $225K and 300K per member.

I realize that does NOT include crew, equipment, promotion, etc, etc, etc. I get that - but that analogy is not a great one to try and show ticket prices are not inflated.

Also - their merch prices are kind of insane these days are they not - and they make that on top of tickets? I actually have more a problem with that than I do the ticket prices - especially considering the quality of some of the shirts lately. :)

Ok, I just think it is a different way of looking at it that justifys it very easliy. And like you said, that is not even considering ALL other expenses. It's just another perspective from the individual consumer, and it seems CHEAP that way (to me at least).

I will agree with you on the merch. I never buy any of it though. I just dont need it. I'm a simpleton though... I dont need posters, t-shirts or reminders tha tI saw an incredible concert...just the bootleg maybe ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    This thread is great.

One byproduct of high ticket prices is high audience expectations. If this thread is any indication, the crowds for this tour may be a bit more demanding. It's also possible that the band elevates its game because they are charging more and (I hope) making more.

This East Coast Backspacer tour seems to have generated more interest among casual fans. The prices are higher and longtime fans are expecting more. It's on.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    satansbed wrote:
    its completely pearl jams fault price have gone up

How???? It's their tickets! They have always fought to have control over everything. If they had the power to have cheap tickets in the 90's, why would they sudden;y not have that power when they are free of a record company? They are setting the prices. Geeze would some of you just accept the fact that they are money hungry?? It's so ridiculous.
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    stranger34 wrote:
    Green Day with AFI $20 cheap seats. amazing...

Absolutely.

It's amazing that people would pay $20 to see Green Day and AFI

came out to $36 after charges

in their own unique way AFI's live show is up there with PJ's. two completely different animals though
  • BlockheadBlockhead Posts: 1,538
    Lets all take a look at what Tim Robbins said in Lance Mercers 5x1 book. I am sure when everybody read that they all nodded their heads in agreement and thought "thats why I like this band".
    For those of you who don't have the book, this is what he said -

Things I like about Pearl Jam:
    They are consistently excellent live.
    They don't gouge their fans at the box office.
    Great poster art and T-shirts.
    We weon't be hearing Evenflow in advertisements for cars.,
    Hair conditioner, or feminine hygiene products.
    They support indie bands.
    They don't do cheese.
    Nof of them golfs regularly.
    They play through injuries.
    When you play their albums backwards you hear Howard
    Zinn reading Peaples history of the United States.
    When i tried to get them to drink after-hours on tour, they cared enough
    about their audience the next night to
    go to their rooms and sleep.
    No flash pots.
    HeidiJam wrote:
    Lets all take a look at what Tim Robbins said in Lance Mercers 5x1 book. I am sure when everybody read that they all nodded their heads in agreement and thought "thats why I like this band".

They don't do cheese.
    No flash pots.

So within 2-3 years they started gouging their fans and selling to commercials. At least we still have howard zinn backwards :lol:
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    HeidiJam wrote:

They don't do cheese.
    No flash pots.

So within 2-3 years they started gouging their fans and selling to commercials. At least we still have howard zinn backwards :lol:

But he did die.
    hippiemom = goodness
    HeidiJam wrote:

They don't do cheese.
    No flash pots.

Ed also openly admits til drinking really late nights before shows, not that there's anything wrong with that - it did produce unthought known :)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    stranger34 wrote:
    HeidiJam wrote:

They don't do cheese.
    No flash pots.

Ed also openly admits til drinking really late nights before shows, not that there's anything wrong with that - it did produce unthought known :)

What song did PJ give to a commercial?

And writing UK was a good thing? Ed should go to bed on time if he write crap like that when he's up late.
    There are tolerable shouts from the crowd, to which Ed says maybe later they’ll have “a little question and answer”. Someone asks “What are you drinking?” and he tells a story about drinking a lot the night before and coming up with a new song at 5AM that day. He uses a few analogies – “fruit that’s not yet ripe and “pants that need to be hemmed” – and plays a new song listed as “Unthought Known” on the setlist (three verses, three choruses) with one chorus repeating “Nothing left…”
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    satansbed wrote:

How???? It's their tickets! They have always fought to have control over everything. If they had the power to have cheap tickets in the 90's, why would they sudden;y not have that power when they are free of a record company? They are setting the prices. Geeze would some of you just accept the fact that they are money hungry?? It's so ridiculous.

youll need a bit more proof than your opinion to go calling things like that a fact
    satansbed wrote:
    satansbed wrote:

youll need a bit more proof than your opinion to go calling things like that a fact

Proof?

Well...let's look back to history for our answer:

2003:
    Tickets for indoor shows were $77-$80...for 2 tickets ; so let's use $40/ticket
    Tickets to outdoor shows were about $98....again for 2 tix ; so let's use $50/ticket

Those were terrific prices for 2003. Using this conversion http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

$40 in 2003 has the same buying power as $47 today
    $50 in 2003 has the same buying power as $59 today

2005:
    Tix about $117/pair or $59/ticket (approx. 20% increase in 2 years)

$59 in 2005 has the same buying power as about $65.50 today

2006:
    Tix cost about $118/pair so still $59/ticket (still 20% increase over 3 years)

$59 in 2006 has the same buying power as about $63.42 today

2009:
    Tix cost about $148/pair or $74/ticket (48% increase over 6 years ; 25% increase over 3 years)

$74 in 2009 has the same buying power as about $74.74 today

2010:
    Tix cost $150-173/pair...or $75-86 ticket, roughly equal to 2009. (still 48% increase over 7 years ; 25% over 4 years for lowest ticket price)

I think in order to keep the mantra of low ticket prices and access for many, PJ should look to set ticket prices at the 2010 buying power equivalent of the 2003 tickets. $50-$60 depending on the venue. That would show their commitment to low ticket prices for sure. All those prices are after all fees. I don't know what portion of each is fees so I can't separate that out and it might show a bit of a different picture.

Like I said, I'll keep buying tickets and the market could certainly bear a higher price, but you can "brag" about Pearl Jam's low ticket prices and how they take care of the fans (in that way anyhow). Getting the best seats in the house is a huge advantage though that makes swallowing the ticket price increases that much easier.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited March 2010
    DewieCox wrote:

What song did PJ give to a commercial?

I saw a thread that people heard an Into the Wild song on a commercial a few weeks ago. And back in 2006 Severed Hand was in a Honda commercial. Plus although not exactly the same...the Fixer was in a Target commercial.

EDIT: Deadliest Catch. I could swear there was a product commercial as well but I could be wrong.
    Post edited by hopethatuchoke on
    satansbed wrote:
    satansbed wrote:

it's not proof, it's common sense. Bands that play absolutely have control over ticket prices. You are delusional if you think otherwise. I remember reading on Metallica's site before their tour last year..."WE decided to keep tickets at the same price they were in 2004". So you think a band like Pearl Jam, who fought to control their master tapes, is just allowing someone else to set prices for them and NO other bands do that? Please.
    Proof?

2003:
    Tickets to outdoor shows were about $98....again for 2 tix ; so let's use $50/ticket

Those were terrific prices for 2003. Using this conversion http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

2005:

2006:

2009:
    Tix cost about $148/pair or $74/ticket (48% increase over 6 years ; 25% increase over 3 years)

2010:
    Tix cost $150-173/pair...or $75-86 ticket, roughly equal to 2009. (still 48% increase over 7 years ; 25% over 4 years for lowest ticket price)

I think in order to keep the mantra of low ticket prices and access for many, PJ should look to set ticket prices at the 2010 buying power equivalent of the 2003 tickets. $50-$60 depending on the venue. That would show their commitment to low ticket prices for sure. All those prices are after all fees. I don't know what portion of each is fees so I can't separate that out and it might show a bit of a different picture.

Like I said, I'll keep buying tickets and the market could certainly bear a higher price, but you can "brag" about Pearl Jam's low ticket prices and how they take care of the fans (in that way anyhow). Getting the best seats in the house is a huge advantage though that makes swallowing the ticket price increases that much easier.

FANTASTIC stats and "proof" but unfortunately some people around here refuse to acknowledge truth and reality.
  • i wonder if they even realize it.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762

Here's the thing people don't seem to be getting: Pearl Jam is not the "low-ticket prices" band anymore. They don't claim to be. I can't remember the last time I've heard any member of the band talking about a commitment to keeping prices low.

So I don't know why we should expect them to.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • I think in order to keep the mantra of low ticket prices and access for many, PJ should look to set ticket prices at the 2010 buying power equivalent of the 2003 tickets. $50-$60 depending on the venue. That would show their commitment to low ticket prices for sure. All those prices are after all fees. I don't know what portion of each is fees so I can't separate that out and it might show a bit of a different picture.

Here's the thing people don't seem to be getting: Pearl Jam is not the "low-ticket prices" band anymore. They don't claim to be. I can't remember the last time I've heard any member of the band talking about a commitment to keeping prices low.

thats true. i dont think they should be forced to have the same opinions after 20 years. changing one's mind is not hypocracy.
    Proof?

2003:

2005:

2006:

2009:

2010:

FANTASTIC stats and "proof" but unfortunately some people around here refuse to acknowledge truth and reality.

I thought it was obvious that nobody was denying that prices have risen. I think you might have taken satensbeds comments out of context. When I first read it, I thought he was responding to the statement that you said PJ was MONEY HUNGRY, and that they had control over setting their prices. I think what satansbed and I have been saying all along is that we simply dont know all the facts as to why ticket prices have risen. And we dont, so THAT is not fact.

I have said all along that I hope they keep rising becasue the people that continuously bitch might take the high road, then I have a better chance at better seats. It's like some people around here cannot be pleased and just like to come back with complete negativity.

Bottom line, if it's not worth it to you, don't go. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you continously come down on something, it really must not be worth it, so why waste your time and live such a negative existence? :roll:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

I think so people are getting confused. Some fans are keeping this mantra alive...pretending it's the truth. I'm just saying it isn't the truth.
    hippiemom = goodness
    I thought it was obvious that nobody was denying that prices have risen. I think you might have taken satensbeds comments out of context. When I first read it, I thought he was responding to the statement that you said PJ was MONEY HUNGRY, and that they had control over setting their prices. I think what satansbed and I have been saying all along is that we simply dont know all the facts as to why ticket prices have risen. And we dont, so THAT is not fact.

I have said all along that I hope they keep rising becasue the people that continuously bitch might take the high road, then I have a better chance at better seats. It's like some people around here cannot be pleased and just like to come back with complete negativity.

Bottom line, if it's not worth it to you, don't go. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you continously come down on something, it really must not be worth it, so why waste your time and live such a negative existence? :roll:

I understand what you are saying and for the most part you are right on point. I'm not even going to any shows this tour so it honestly doesn't even concern me. For some reason it just really pisses me off that some people are so deeply rooted in brown nosing and a fake reality involving the band and their motives. I can't understand how a human being with even a grade school education can't or won't realize that the band is setting their own prices and the prices that they set are because they want more money and no other reason. It's not to feed the crew or children or because of gas prices or inflation or the price of wheat or any of the numerous crazy delusional things people try to makeup. I truthfully don't even know why I care.

I am still a fan of the band and will remain in the 10 Club tickets but it is truly sad to see how much things involving this band have gone downhill the past few years and it's fairly obvious they are taking us for granted. You will see $125 tickets soon enough and probably VIP packages.
  • Who didn't see this coming?? I mean, when EV was charging $75 for solo then I knew the tix for the whole band would go up.

I remember paying $25 per ticket. Gas was a buck a gallon then in Salt Lake City. Now gas is between $2.50 and $3.00 per gallon in Salt Lake City.....so concert tickets are increasing at a faster rate than gasoline? Something fishy...definitely something fishy.
    There are the haves and the have nots. Unfortunately the haves dictate the price of things.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Who didn't see this coming?? I mean, when EV was charging $75 for solo then I knew the tix for the whole band would go up.
    Yeah I wanted to believe this was because the venues were so small. To be fair though - I think $75 to see EV in a place that holds like 1500 people is worth it.

And I think that a few people are hitting it on the head. I dont necessarily hold it against the band for raising prices on tickets (AND MERCH) so much in the past 5-7 years. I just wish people would stop justifying it as an increase in costs and just admit the band wants more $$ per show now. I think that's the best point I've read on here in a long time.

I'll still go to shows because its worth it for me, but I know the reason the prices are so much higher is because the band wants more $$ per show. And there's nothing WRONG with that - its their band and their decisions. I just get annoyed when people keep defending it to the death using reasons that can't even be backed up by common sense.

And I'm off my soapbox now :)
  • drsluggo wrote:
    Who didn't see this coming?? I mean, when EV was charging $75 for solo then I knew the tix for the whole band would go up.
    Yeah I wanted to believe this was because the venues were so small. To be fair though - I think $75 to see EV in a place that holds like 1500 people is worth it.

And I think that a few people are hitting it on the head. I dont necessarily hold it against the band for raising prices on tickets (AND MERCH) so much in the past 5-7 years. I just wish people would stop justifying it as an increase in costs and just admit the band wants more $$ per show now. I think that's the best point I've read on here in a long time.

I'll still go to shows because its worth it for me, but I know the reason the prices are so much higher is because the band wants more $$ per show. And there's nothing WRONG with that - its their band and their decisions. I just get annoyed when people keep defending it to the death using reasons that can't even be backed up by common sense.

And I'm off my soapbox now :)
    Agreed. They want more money. Part is increased costs but certainly not all of it. They likely see themselves aging and doing fewer shows so trying to get more out of what they have left. I certainly don't blame them. And I'll always find a way to scrape up the extra cash whenever they come within several hundred miles of me.
    I understand what you are saying and for the most part you are right on point. I'm not even going to any shows this tour so it honestly doesn't even concern me. For some reason it just really pisses me off that some people are so deeply rooted in brown nosing and a fake reality involving the band and their motives. I can't understand how a human being with even a grade school education can't or won't realize that the band is setting their own prices and the prices that they set are because they want more money and no other reason. It's not to feed the crew or children or because of gas prices or inflation or the price of wheat or any of the numerous crazy delusional things people try to makeup. I truthfully don't even know why I care.

I am still a fan of the band and will remain in the 10 Club tickets but it is truly sad to see how much things involving this band have gone downhill the past few years and it's fairly obvious they are taking us for granted. You will see $125 tickets soon enough and probably VIP packages.

I can tell you're a big fan.. or were, so I just like to shine a light on the other side of things sometimes. It has nothing to do with brown nosing -- That doesnt get me anywhere. Well, we both get pissed off at either side of this argument obviously, and it wont go anywhere, because we will never know the facts. And I have an education that far exceeds grade school (although my salary doenst reflect ;) ), but I cannot agree that PJ ONLY raised prices becasue they want more money. There's absolutley no way any of us can prove that, and personally, that is why I cant get upset at the bands motives and dont understand why everyone else does, becasue we dont know the details. Shit, Kelly Curtis might have said "Brenden should get piano lessons from Yo-Yo-Ma, and the band should pay for it with MSG tix so he can play better on the next record"...who knows? we sure dont...but that's just another crazy delusional thing.. but anything is possible.

What's not crazy or delusional is that they are playing less shows and the demand is up. If they want to maintain a particular lifestlye and tour less, prices must rise. THAT is obvious, and I personally dont call that money hungry.

In addition, the MSG tix are up there in price, but a lot of the other venues arent that bad.

I dont know Ed or the guys in PJ, but I do know from many other stories and accounts that they are very generous and appreciative of thier fans. They donate to a lot of causes and raise a lot of awareness to particular events. If people feel taken for granted because of rising ticket costs, you have a long line of frustration ahead of you with ANY band.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984

I can tell you're a big fan.. or were, so I just like to shine a light on the other side of things sometimes. It has nothing to do with brown nosing -- That doesnt get me anywhere. Well, we both get pissed off at either side of this argument obviously, and it wont go anywhere, because we will never know the facts. And I have an education that far exceeds grade school (although my salary doenst reflect ;) ), but I cannot agree that PJ ONLY raised prices becasue they want more money. There's absolutley no way any of us can prove that, and personally, that is why I cant get upset at the bands motives and dont understand why everyone else does, becasue we dont know the details. Shit, Kelly Curtis might have said "Brenden should get piano lessons from Yo-Yo-Ma, and the band should pay for it with MSG tix so he can play better on the next record"...who knows? we sure dont...but that's just another crazy delusional thing.. but anything is possible.

What's not crazy or delusional is that they are playing less shows and the demand is up. If they want to maintain a particular lifestlye and tour less, prices must rise. THAT is obvious, and I personally dont call that money hungry.

In addition, the MSG tix are up there in price, but a lot of the other venues arent that bad.

I dont know Ed or the guys in PJ, but I do know from many other stories and accounts that they are very generous and appreciative of thier fans. They donate to a lot of causes and raise a lot of awareness to particular events. If people feel taken for granted because of rising ticket costs, you have a long line of frustration ahead of you with ANY band.

Why would Brendan get piano lessons from a cellist?
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    cajunkiwi wrote:

Why would Brendan get piano lessons from a cellist?
    sarcasm about the delusional things that drive up prices.
    should've used a ;)
  • PROBABLY NEXT STEP: PEARL JAM JOINS LIVE NATION!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
    From Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • Get serious.

Tom Petty wants $150 and you to buy a digital download of his mojo album. U2 soaked me for $275 bucks X 3 tickets.

What do you do? What exactly is your wage? Why are you worth it? Would you like to make a little more? If you do... well... green disease... yup... it appears to be a case of green disease.

Fukin people. Stay at home bitches. Pearl Jam is keeps their tickets lower than most- and most are not worth seeing. Do you consider them a bunch of shitbaggers that you should only pay a nickel to see? If so... don't go. And save your bitching for your colleagues and wife regarding how unfair life is.

Well said :)
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
This discussion has been closed.