The official $92.05 is Too much Thread

Comments

• Oh yeah, with the economic downturn venues are charging more. Not good business.

When the band preaches against greed in their music and then turns around and becomes greedy, well yes they to own an explanation.

I will never shut up.

uh....what competition do the venues have that keeps them honest? Pearl Jam will tour and they will sell out. The venue will get what it wants.

Do you have any business sense? Do you understand supply and demand? The supply of concert arenas is fairly small. It's not like PJ can come to Noblesville Indiana and get one venue to undercut another.

They aren't playing Noblesville.

Last time I checked NYC, Boston, and D.C. have more than one venue.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,941
    Oh yeah, with the economic downturn venues are charging more. Not good business.

When the band preaches against greed in their music and then turns around and becomes greedy, well yes they to own an explanation.

I will never shut up.

uh....what competition do the venues have that keeps them honest? Pearl Jam will tour and they will sell out. The venue will get what it wants.

Do you have any business sense? Do you understand supply and demand? The supply of concert arenas is fairly small. It's not like PJ can come to Noblesville Indiana and get one venue to undercut another.

Yes they are. Indy show is actually in Noblesville.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    Oh yeah, with the economic downturn venues are charging more. Not good business.

I will never shut up.

yes and are those venues all available on the day that works for PJ?

come on man....you're wrong....just stop
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I haven't read this whole , nor am I going to , but has anyone mentioned how they are no longer with Sony? You know labels foot the bill for many things on a tour. Now it's all on PJ to take care of EVERYTHING.
    Wouldnt they only foot the bill for some costs if they were getting some of the money back from the shows? Or obviously a huge chunk of records sales -- Sony wasn't paying part of the shows without getting $$ back either from the shows themselves or increased record sales.

So as Stone said... they used to get like $1.5 per CD sold and now they get $5... so wouldn't that negate the need to jack up prices 100% in 7 years?
    drsluggo wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I haven't read this whole , nor am I going to , but has anyone mentioned how they are no longer with Sony? You know labels foot the bill for many things on a tour. Now it's all on PJ to take care of EVERYTHING.
    Wouldnt they only foot the bill for some costs if they were getting some of the money back from the shows? Or obviously a huge chunk of records sales -- Sony wasn't paying part of the shows without getting $$ back either from the shows themselves or increased record sales.

So as Stone said... they used to get like $1.5 per CD sold and now they get $5... so wouldn't that negate the need to jack up prices 100% in 7 years?
    Yes , Sony certainly would get a return on the investment of funding a tour. Namely in the long term aspect of CD sales. And a significant cut of the gate.And any new fans brought in TODAY , Sony still gets that same deal from the back catalouge.

I have no direct knowledge of course, but I would guess that the low prices we've seen previously(with Sony) were more like "loss leaders" in a grocery store. Keep price low ,even lose money on it, on one product to draw people in and hit them in another area like Cds. And they don't even need to hit us there either. When we get with this band , we're IN!!!

As to why and all that shit we will never get an answer to, only thing I can say is "because they can"

These guys still make awesome music, are socially/environmentally responsible,help us to become aware of certain issues we might not otherwise learn about.
    Tix prices as they are , are now a part of the package that is PJ. Agree with them or disagree with them.(and I do on some things) but fuck , I"M IN!!!! The music is just too good.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I was in on this thread early on PJ's side. It's now 40 pages long. I'm still on PJ's side. I cannot profess to have read all the posts, but I know this:

1. There are people that actually feel they are significant enough to have PJ justify to them why they have set the prices the way they have (one fool actually suggests a protest... LOL).

2. There are people who feel PJ should charge tickets "just a little bit above" what they charged in 1998 so as to more closely resemble actual inflation.

3. These people need to come home from the fair. I think Van Gerden (?) said it best a few posts ago when he asked one whining member to "shut up".

I think this entire thread needs to be deleted because it so sadly reflects how weak a society we have become. Instead of being happy that the band is touring- countless rumour threads in eager anticipation of a tour- these complainers then quickly forget how eager they were to see the band because they have to pay to see them. I think that some people should be embarrassed they have spoken (I'm certain these are the types that do not tip in restaurants- "Nobody tips me in the flower shop!").

Who wants to hang out with you? Complainer. Whiner. Poor you- once again... 'The Man' has beaten you down. And you're such a good person.

The people that have complained about ticket prices obviously need something bigger to complain about. Do you need a list of items that might suit this bill?

For Gawd's sakes... seriously... get a life. "$10 more than Dave Matthews... sheesh... I'm not going now!" Please go... and go to Boston so you have a chance to get puked on... then you can complain!

If any of the 'complaining types' have downloaded some music for free and listen to it without having paid the artist for their work... shame on you. Seriously... shame on you.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • bonv2bonv2 Posts: 5
    Did somebody mention that the muppets are coming. I would definitely pay $92 to see the muppets.
    bonv2 wrote:
    Did somebody mention that the muppets are coming. I would definitely pay $92 to see the muppets.
    This has to be the best first post EVER.

• Who wants to hang out with you? Complainer. Whiner. Poor you- once again... 'The Man' has beaten you down. And you're such a good person.

Who wants to hang out with you?

The people (most of them) you talk shit about are able to reflect a situation and talk about it.
    They don't like that PJ once had the high priority of low ticket prices, but now don't care about it anymore.
    These people, unlike a lot of the fanboys here, are able to questions some moves the band/ the management made the last couple of years.
    I personylle like people who show constructive criticism way more than guys like you who leave the thinking to others.
  • while i cannot remember an argument as big as this in 08, it might have happened...

one thing that needs to be pointed out is How much have tickets gone up since 08???

i cant say for ticketbastard, but 10c tickets for the garden went up a HUGE $4 a pair in 2 years :lol::lol:

We may have hit the ceiling with ticket prices, but you can't sit here read the thread and not agree since 2003 prices have skyrocketed.

Here is what I have paid for 10c tickets:
    2003-$40 each
    2006-$57 each
    2008-$74 each
    2009-$83 each
    2010-$85 each

So, tickets prices have double in a 7 years. Why?

Using an inflation calculator that $40 ticket today should cost $46.

Don't blame the $45 increase on ticketmaster or live nation.

Again the core beliefs of what this band once stood for is quickly eroding right from under their own feet.

I really wish they would address this issue.

Maybe a stop raising the ticket prices campaign is needed.

why do you feel like they owe you an explanation?

I find it interesting that people like you make these observations yet you have absolutely no idea what the venues are charging the band to rent the facility, no idea what the band pays for travel/hotel/food for its crew now versus then, etc.

just shut up

Well said!
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    The people that have complained about ticket prices obviously need something bigger to complain about. Do you need a list of items that might suit this bill?

For Gawd's sakes... seriously... get a life. "$10 more than Dave Matthews... sheesh... I'm not going now!" Please go... and go to Boston so you have a chance to get puked on... then you can complain!

If any of the 'complaining types' have downloaded some music for free and listen to it without having paid the artist for their work... shame on you. Seriously... shame on you.
    You realize that your post here was angrier than most of the complainers on this board?

I've said it a few times in this thread that I think PJ shows are worth it - I also think they have raised tickets at a rate higher that I ever could have expected. I'm not even complaining about the prices - more just the people in here making such ridiculous arguments.

And, yes, every person on here has something bigger to complain about. But I would venture to guess that they aren't going to complain about their personal problems on a Pearl Jam board. If they did they'd have people flaming them for posting their personal problems on said Pearl Jam board.

There are people on both sides here who are being unreasonable, but come on... telling people to shut up is not any better than ANYTHING being said on this thread.

Either reply with some actual reasoning or just let it go. This thread SHOULD die... there's nothing more that can be said about the ticket prices at this point, so everyone should just move on because no matter how much we post it wont change prices.

But it won't die when people blindly post 'shut up' or 'they can do whatever they want so just don't go to the shows' or whatever else is in here to that effect. It just brings this whole thread around full circle yet again.
  • William Wallace...

Constructive criticism? Where is it? The dribble that is being spewed forth amounts to nothing more than selfish, flat-out complaining. How do you even begin to think that the people bitter about paying 10 extra dollars for their tickets are on the cutting edge of intellectual reflection? The complainers I speak about do not value PJ... they value their pocketbooks and wish PJ could price their exceptional work at a much lower price for their savings ("Can you please keep doing rock band at minimum wage? I mean, come on. don't you remember when you used to? You bunch of sellouts.").

PJ has set their ticket prices the way they have for reasons they do not have to justify. You, as a consumer, have a choice when choosing how to spend your money. If you feel PJ has overpriced themselves, then go see Phish if you think that's better value.

One more time put a different way... PJ has evolved. An artist does not enter the art scene charging a ridiculous amount of cash for art from an unproven entity. As their fame and legend grows, they begin to demand more of a price for their work- especially if they can get it. They are still lower than what they could get. They are more than fair considering the market.

Why should PJ keep their prices lower than contemporaries (and even subpar ones at that)? Yes, once they were angry and challenged status quo (Ticketmaster). They have grown. Income from produced music does not pay as much as it used to- free downloads (which you no doubtedly have a ton of) have impacted the band's earning potential. And, if you are one of the greatest bands in the world... you should make a lot of money! A LOT of money! A reward for being on top of your trade. I'm not going to begrudge them of that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    The "too much" crowd is definitely putting forth a good argument, while the other side has a lotta mindless bleating.
  • breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    I just realized that Metallica, one of the bands who's prices have been mentioned are about 300 shows into the death magnetic tour and they're already talking about another leg. logic dictates that the longer the schedule the more cost effective a tour is.

Pearl Jam probably won't crack 100 shows when they are done with Backspacer, so it's going to be more expensive. I know the number of shows is an issue for some of you.

is it really fair to say to the band that they HAVE to do a monster tour every time out? For those of us who have seen them on major tours we know eds voice craps out about halfway through a leg. Plus family has taken a priority and since they have the same crew from the start, I would assume the payroll is hefty.

This is the way it is. Accept it and move on, or don't
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    while i cannot remember an argument as big as this in 08, it might have happened...

one thing that needs to be pointed out is How much have tickets gone up since 08???

i cant say for ticketbastard, but 10c tickets for the garden went up a HUGE $4 a pair in 2 years :lol::lol:

We may have hit the ceiling with ticket prices, but you can't sit here read the thread and not agree since 2003 prices have skyrocketed.

Here is what I have paid for 10c tickets:
    2003-$40 each
    2006-$57 each
    2008-$74 each
    2009-$83 each
    2010-$85 each

So, tickets prices have double in a 7 years. Why?

Using an inflation calculator that $40 ticket today should cost $46.

Don't blame the $45 increase on ticketmaster or live nation.

Again the core beliefs of what this band once stood for is quickly eroding right from under their own feet.

I really wish they would address this issue.

Maybe a stop raising the ticket prices campaign is needed.

why do you feel like they owe you an explanation?

I find it interesting that people like you make these observations yet you have absolutely no idea what the venues are charging the band to rent the facility, no idea what the band pays for travel/hotel/food for its crew now versus then, etc.

just shut up

I find it interesting that people like you get so bent out of shape by people calling the band out on their ticket prices. I don't think anyone thinks that Pearl Jam owes an explanation....because the only explanation is greed. PJ tickets have increased by over 100% in the past 7 years....and that's fine. If I was in charge of a corporation like Pearl Jam....I'd milk it for all it's worth too. But you sound ridiculous when you say things like "you have absolutely no idea what the venues are charging the band to rent the facility, no idea what the band pays for travel/hotel/food for its crew now versus then, etc." Well, while I don't know the specifics about prices like that....I have to imagine that Green Day is charged the same amount as Pearl Jam for travel/hotel/food/renting the venue and yet they charge about $30 less for tickets.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    William Wallace...

Constructive criticism? Where is it? The dribble that is being spewed forth amounts to nothing more than selfish, flat-out complaining. How do you even begin to think that the people bitter about paying 10 extra dollars for their tickets are on the cutting edge of intellectual reflection? The complainers I speak about do not value PJ... they value their pocketbooks and wish PJ could price their exceptional work at a much lower price for their savings ("Can you please keep doing rock band at minimum wage? I mean, come on. don't you remember when you used to? You bunch of sellouts.").

PJ has set their ticket prices the way they have for reasons they do not have to justify. You, as a consumer, have a choice when choosing how to spend your money. If you feel PJ has overpriced themselves, then go see Phish if you think that's better value.

One more time put a different way... PJ has evolved. An artist does not enter the art scene charging a ridiculous amount of cash for art from an unproven entity. As their fame and legend grows, they begin to demand more of a price for their work- especially if they can get it. They are still lower than what they could get. They are more than fair considering the market.

Why should PJ keep their prices lower than contemporaries (and even subpar ones at that)? Yes, once they were angry and challenged status quo (Ticketmaster). They have grown. Income from produced music does not pay as much as it used to- free downloads (which you no doubtedly have a ton of) have impacted the band's earning potential. And, if you are one of the greatest bands in the world... you should make a lot of money! A LOT of money! A reward for being on top of your trade. I'm not going to begrudge them of that.

If you described this career path for Pearl Jam to Eddie Vedder for most of his time fronting the band, you would be the one told to shut up
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    120-130 a pair is were it should be imo
    Go Birds!!!!
    breath123 wrote:
    I just realized that Metallica, one of the bands who's prices have been mentioned are about 300 shows into the death magnetic tour and they're already talking about another leg. logic dictates that the longer the schedule the more cost effective a tour is.

Pearl Jam probably won't crack 100 shows when they are done with Backspacer, so it's going to be more expensive. I know the number of shows is an issue for some of you.

is it really fair to say to the band that they HAVE to do a monster tour every time out? For those of us who have seen them on major tours we know eds voice craps out about halfway through a leg. Plus family has taken a priority and since they have the same crew from the start, I would assume the payroll is hefty.

This is the way it is. Accept it and move on, or don't

Another pet peeve of the sheeple

They argue all the business school BS and then they post something like this.

If I give 10 tennis lessons a week at $50 an hour and all my customers are happy - is it logical that I can do 5 tennis lessons at $100 an hour instead and expect the selected customers not only to be happy to be graced with my presence - but also more than glad to pay double what they used to?
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    stranger34 wrote:

If I give 10 tennis lessons a week at $50 an hour and all my customers are happy - is it logical that I can do 5 tennis lessons at $100 an hour instead and expect the selected customers not only to be happy to be graced with my presence - but also more than glad to pay double what they used to?

This is obvious stranger. when this happens it´s the consumer that takes the hit.

Maybe as a tennis trainer your expenses don´t change and then definitely you will be ripping off your costumers. But in live entertainment business, it´s not even close to being the same. The lower amount of shows you put on on a tour, the more expensive each indivdual show is for the entertainment corporation, thus the more they have to charge for tickets, specially if they are not selling out 50 to 70 thousand seat venues.

Another thing nobody has to explain shit to us about ticket prices. Do you go into McDonalds and ask why if you buy a menu in the US, and then go to guatemala and the same menu is more expensive?
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • uh....what competition do the venues have that keeps them honest? Pearl Jam will tour and they will sell out. The venue will get what it wants.

Do you have any business sense? Do you understand supply and demand? The supply of concert arenas is fairly small. It's not like PJ can come to Noblesville Indiana and get one venue to undercut another.[/quote]

Last time I checked NYC, Boston, and D.C. have more than one venue.[/quote]

yes and are those venues all available on the day that works for PJ?

come on man....you're wrong....just stop[/quote]

Yes, I was wrong about Noblesville.

To answer your question about other venues

Verizon Center- open date 5/13
    Merriweather Post- open
    Warner Theatre-open
    DAR Constitution Hall-open
    National Stadium-open
    RFK-open
    Fed Ex Field- open
    Patriot Center-open
    Wolf Trap-open
    D.C. Mall-open

so I guess Jiffy Lube Live wasn't their only option.
  • force-10 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

This is obvious stranger. when this happens it´s the consumer that takes the hit.

Maybe as a tennis trainer your expenses don´t change and then definitely you will be ripping off your costumers. But in live entertainment business, it´s not even close to being the same. The lower amount of shows you put on on a tour, the more expensive each indivdual show is for the entertainment corporation, thus the more they have to charge for tickets, specially if they are not selling out 50 to 70 thousand seat venues.

Another thing nobody has to explain shit to us about ticket prices. Do you go into McDonalds and ask why if you buy a menu in the US, and then go to guatemala and the same menu is more expensive?

McDonalds is a publicly traded company so their books are open. They take questions from analyst every quarter.

Into 2003 a Big Mac cost $2.50-$3 in the US and today $3.50. Not $7
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    force-10 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

McDonalds is a publicly traded company so their books are open. They take questions from analyst every quarter.

Into 2003 a Big Mac cost $2.50-$3 in the US and today $3.50. Not $7

Yeah, but do YOU go and expect to get an answer?
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    I'd pay at least 92.06. How about you?
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Fuck that.

$92.05 was fine. If I had to pay $92.06 I wouldn't buy tickets. We're in a fucking recession here.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    force-10 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

i get it, but the question really is who should take the hit, should the band take less profit or should the fans pay more for tickets... it's not like they are charging more to make cost, they are charging more to do less and make just as much/more per show.

work less-make more, it's a beautiful thing.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    the COST of a Pearl Jam ticket has never had any relevance for me. I mean, fuck, they only tour every three years. :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    what a clever thread this is
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941

it beats 42 pages of bitching!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,177
    Lets all support Peal Jams post 2003 greed! ;)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    imalive wrote:

it beats 42 pages of bitching!

I think people in that thread aren't really complaining about the ticket prices. I think they're just annoyed by the people who blindly defend PJ even though they've increased their ticket prices by more than 100% over the past 7 years. My "bitching" in that thread hasn't been in the vein of "I can't believe that PJ charges this much." My posts have been in the vein of "how can you people NOT see that the band has become greedy?"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
This discussion has been closed.