Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    just for fun, i looked back at the 76ers draft history.

yeah, they have drafted lots of AIDS over the years. Sharone Wright is my favorite.

Saw the thread about your birthday. HOpe you had a good one and drank lots of booze
  • Options
    My man Charles is a smart MFer

Barkley to Sixers: Stop winning
    Charles Barkley was at the Chicago-Green Bay NFL game in Soldier Field on Sunday, because, well, because when you're Charles Barkley you can do that kind of thing if you like. He was trim(mer) than usual, said he had lost about 40 pounds, and stopped me in the hallway outside the press box to ask a pertinent question.

"Why is Doug Collins trying to win games?" Barkley said. "That's stupid. They should develop the young guys and try to get a better draft pick."

Barkley said he didn't mind being quoted -- duh -- so I'm passing that along for what it's worth.

"Doug's a great coach. Don't get me wrong," Barkley said. "But sometimes coaches get carried away with their own egos. But in a situation like this, it's not about them."

I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching players how to win, and if Collins can get enough work out of this team to make the playoffs, it's hard to argue with that goal. As I wrote in a recent column, however, the most important thing about this season should be finding out if Evan Turner can play shooting guard in the NBA. So far, that hasn't been the case, although he had a nice game versus Phoenix on Monday.

It is also worth pointing out that, in a related matter, having the No. 2 pick in the draft last season hasn't done them much good yet. So, go ahead and win, even if Charles doesn't think it's a good idea.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    you could make an arguement that unless you are Orlando, Miami, Boston, LA, SA and maybe a couple of fringe teams like Chicago, Dallas, or OKC, you should try and lose every game this year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    edited January 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    My man Charles is a smart MFer

Barkley to Sixers: Stop winning
    Charles Barkley was at the Chicago-Green Bay NFL game in Soldier Field on Sunday, because, well, because when you're Charles Barkley you can do that kind of thing if you like. He was trim(mer) than usual, said he had lost about 40 pounds, and stopped me in the hallway outside the press box to ask a pertinent question.

"Why is Doug Collins trying to win games?" Barkley said. "That's stupid. They should develop the young guys and try to get a better draft pick."

Barkley said he didn't mind being quoted -- duh -- so I'm passing that along for what it's worth.

"Doug's a great coach. Don't get me wrong," Barkley said. "But sometimes coaches get carried away with their own egos. But in a situation like this, it's not about them."

I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching players how to win, and if Collins can get enough work out of this team to make the playoffs, it's hard to argue with that goal. As I wrote in a recent column, however, the most important thing about this season should be finding out if Evan Turner can play shooting guard in the NBA. So far, that hasn't been the case, although he had a nice game versus Phoenix on Monday.

It is also worth pointing out that, in a related matter, having the No. 2 pick in the draft last season hasn't done them much good yet. So, go ahead and win, even if Charles doesn't think it's a good idea
    :lol:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the thing is...these wins are counterproductive. they're better off losing games

dude. these are not the nets or the cavs or the timberwolves. there's too much talent on this team not to win these games. they're not as horrible as you think or would like them to be. been trying to tell you that since the summer time. your expectations aren't correct. what good is it for them to miss the playoffs by a couple games and having a .007% shot at a top 3 pick? that's not gonna happen. winning these games are good for this team. trading iguadala and giving turner more time would be even better. they're learning how to win.

they remind me of the phils 10 years ago. i can understand why some people don't like watching them at this point. they're not winning a championship obviously. but they've been improving with each game. to me it's fun to watch a young team develop, even if people won't be jumping on the bandwagon for quite some time. this is night and day compared to last year. :lol:

I don't know what you're so excited about. They are going nowhere. I'd rather have them absolutely tank, play the young guys, and add a top 10 draft pick.

The NBA is all about star players. Can't win without them. The Sixers problem is that they don't have any. And they are tough to find outside of the top 5-10 picks in the draft.

I just can't get excited about this team. Zero direction whatsoever

"play the young guys." :?

seriously? you're really watching these games? 5 of their top 7 minutes getters (or whatever you call that) are 24 yrs old or younger. literally the only other "young guy" is speights and he blows.

they are playing the young bucks. and they're winning. that's what i'm happy with. now just gotta get iguadala out of the mix and i'll be even happier. :mrgreen:

collins is doing a pretty damn good job with these kids. 16-12 since the horrendous start. already 2 more wins at home than all of last year.

take the night and run! :D
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't know what you're so excited about. They are going nowhere. I'd rather have them absolutely tank, play the young guys, and add a top 10 draft pick.

The NBA is all about star players. Can't win without them. The Sixers problem is that they don't have any. And they are tough to find outside of the top 5-10 picks in the draft.

I just can't get excited about this team. Zero direction whatsoever

seriously? you're really watching these games? 5 of their top 7 minutes getters (or whatever you call that) are 24 yrs old or younger. literally the only other "young guy" is speights and he blows.

they are playing the young bucks. and they're winning. that's what i'm happy with. now just gotta get iguadala out of the mix and i'll be even happier. :mrgreen:

collins is doing a pretty damn good job with these kids. 16-12 since the horrendous start. already 2 more wins at home than all of last year.

most of the roster is young dude. you're not uncovering anything special there.

I was just forwarding on the article. I'll take barkley's opinion over bob ford's...especially when it makes sense.

I wouldn't be surpised to see these dumb bastards let thad walk at the end of the year. you know, since they just traded for nocioni.

keep posting their record. they have one impressive win all season

stars win in the nba. the sixers have none
  • Options
    honestly I really don't feel like arguing about this any more. you're more optimistic about this team than I am. I think that's pretty consistent with most of the debates you and I have...I think you're generally more optimistic and I'm realistic/cautious with expectations (except with the flyers, who are winning it all)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

most of the roster is young dude. you're not uncovering anything special there.

I was just forwarding on the article. I'll take barkley's opinion over bob ford's...especially when it makes sense.

I wouldn't be surpised to see these dumb bastards let thad walk at the end of the year. you know, since they just traded for nocioni.

keep posting their record. they have one impressive win all season

stars win in the nba. the sixers have none

hey you said you want them to play the young guys (holiday, young, williams, turner and meeks) and they are. they're just playing well. i don't don't know what else to tell you.

regarding barkley---i love the dude, but i don't think his comments about playing the young guys made any sense, since they are. chuck says a lot of crazy things. i doubt he's watching a lot of sixers games at tnt either. :lol:

and jrue holiday...dude's on his way to becoming a star.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    honestly I really don't feel like arguing about this any more. you're more optimistic about this team than I am. I think that's pretty consistent with most of the debates you and I have...I think you're generally more optimistic and I'm realistic/cautious with expectations (except with the flyers, who are winning it all)

nah, i'm actually pretty realistic (and accurate). you're just overly negative. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

nah, i'm actually pretty realistic (and accurate). you're just overly negative. :mrgreen:

there's a difference between being realistic and negative.

as for accuracy...well, I said the eagles were gonna lose to the pack. and you said the phils were going to win it all last year. so, I'm not so sure about your accuracy statement.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

there's a difference between being realistic and negative.

as for accuracy...well, I said the eagles were gonna lose to the pack. and you said the phils were going to win it all last year. so, I'm not so sure about your accuracy statement.

expecting to win somewhere around 35-38 games seems pretty realistic to me. i dunno....

with the birds: you could not fathom how anyone could expect 10 wins back in august...or even in october for that matter. you also called people idiots for thinking vick was any good. also, you're money was also on the eagles to cover against the pack.

with the phils: you declared the season over and that they would not make the playoffs after the astros season. i said they'd get to the world series. seeing as how they came within 2 wins of the ws: advantage, this guy.

should i talk about what you said about villanova next? nah, i'll let that one go. :lol: :roll:

start watching this team dude. they're fun to watch. seriously.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

expecting to win somewhere around 35-38 games seems pretty realistic to me. i dunno....

with the birds: you could not fathom how anyone could expect 10 wins back in august...or even in october for that matter. you also called people idiots for thinking vick was any good. also, you're money was also on the eagles to cover against the pack.

with the phils: you declared the season over and that they would not make the playoffs after the astros season. i said they'd get to the world series. seeing as how they came within 2 wins of the ws: advantage, this guy.

should i talk about what you said about villanova next? nah, i'll let that one go. :lol: :roll:

ah, jeagler...you are never wrong. though you curiously forgot to mention your redskins prediction :D.

I ALWAYS bet the birds when I attend a game. Even when mike mcmahon is the starting QB.

the sixers suck dude. jump on the flyers bandwagon now so you don't look as bad as you did last june. they are winning it all

even though we bicker like 2 old ladies I enjoy our back and forth here.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

ah, jeagler...you are never wrong. though you curiously forgot to mention your redskins prediction :D.

I ALWAYS bet the birds when I attend a game. Even when mike mcmahon is the starting QB.

the sixers suck dude. jump on the flyers bandwagon now so you don't look as bad as you did last june. they are winning it all

even though we bicker like 2 old ladies I enjoy our back and forth here.

hey i'll take a 6-1 record any day of the week ;)

i just think you sound like i did about the sixers all season last year. i don't understand how someone can't see the improvement there. and with the flyers, hey that's me every year dude. not a hockey guy. :wave: wake me up in the spring time, like clock work. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    They should beat the Raptors tonight, right? At least do it as a b-day present ;)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    They should beat the Raptors tonight, right? At least do it as a b-day present ;)

they can...and they did. happy birthday dude.

they're gunning for the knicks too. looking a their schedules, they have a shot at passing them by the all star break...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965

they can...and they did. happy birthday dude.

they're gunning for the knicks too. looking a their schedules, they have a shot at passing them by the all star break...

woo-hoo and thanks! Caught part of the game. Unfortunately fell asleep during the 4th quarter :oops:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

the only other "young guy" is speights and he blows.

• Options
    The Fixer wrote:

you love speights dude. big game last night. i'm looking forward to the next one...in march :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

you love speights dude. big game last night. i'm looking forward to the next one...in march :mrgreen:

all I said was that he better than any of their other options at center. their frontcourt is hideous
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

all I said was that he better than any of their other options at center. their frontcourt is hideous

did he pass the ball last night? :lol:

all i see from him is a guy who doesn't give it his all on defense and never passes. not my kind of player...not collins' thus far either. he's young. hopefully he can change. if he wants more consisten minutes, he'll have to.

i love what collins is doing with this team. :thumbup:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    Anybody read how Barkley is calling out Collins for not tanking and playing hard? Pretty funny.
  • Options
    Anybody read how Barkley is calling out Collins for not tanking and playing hard? Pretty funny.

shows how much the chuckwagon watches this team :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

yeah, I posted that here.

chuck is right. low playoff seed, early playoff exit, average draft pick...yawn

also, the dalembert trade looks worse by the day. spencer hawes can't play a lick
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

also, the dalembert trade looks worse by the day. spencer hawes can't play a lick

you just don't know what you are talking about on multiple fronts. apparently you missed that dalembert has been benched in sacramento. dude can't start for the kings at this point in his career.

chuck and you want the sixers to play their young players. if either of you watched this team you would know that is exactly what they're doing. they just happen to be winning, which means they aren't as bad as you casual fans think they are. :mrgreen: .....i actually turned on that 97.5 fan station today for the first time in a while and tim legler was co hosting and basically called barkley an idiot for those comments. legler knows his shit. i was surprised to hear him on there.

...maybe you are suggesting they play their young players and tell them to purposely lose like they're the washington generals or something, is that what you want them to do?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

you just don't know what you are talking about on multiple fronts. apparently you missed that dalembert has been benched in sacramento. dude can't start for the kings at this point in his career.

chuck and you want the sixers to play their young players. if either of you watched this team you would know that is exactly what they're doing. they just happen to be winning, which means they aren't as bad as you casual fans think they are. :mrgreen: .....i actually turned on that 97.5 fan station today for the first time in a while and tim legler was co hosting and basically called barkley an idiot for those comments. legler knows his shit. i was surprised to hear him on there.

...maybe you are suggesting they play their young players and tell them to purposely lose like their the washington generals or something, is that what you want them to do?

you completely miss the point on the dalembert trade. his production this year is meaningless. his expiring contract is much more valuable than anything they got in return (hawes, who can't play at all...and nocioni, who is an 8th guy who they are now stuck with for 3 fucking years!!). wouldn't it have been nice to have some cash to throw at a free agent this offseason? maybe take dalembert's cap hit and trade brand or iggy, then go after carmelo. holy shit, what a concept. but no, this team is stuck with a bunch of shitty players that were brought in for no apparent reason.

turner and speights should be playing more. seriously, why is nocioni in the rotation? give his minutes to turner...even if it means playing young and/or iguodala somewhere other than the 3.

you are all excited about mediocrity. this team has no direction
  • Options
    Fixer, I see your point, but the Dalembert trade really isn't that horrible. I'll take one more year of Nocioni and Hawes over having Dalembert here for one more day. It's not like their going to be dominating anyone next year either. It's really not incredibly terrible. Who knows, maybe they move another one of them since both have one year left.
  • Options
    Dude, Nocioni's contract runs though the '12/'13 season, and that's a team option. Neither will be here past next season.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

...maybe you are suggesting they play their young players and tell them to purposely lose like their the washington generals or something, is that what you want them to do?

you completely miss the point on the dalembert trade. his production this year is meaningless. his expiring contract is much more valuable than anything they got in return (hawes, who can't play at all...and nocioni, who is an 8th guy who they are now stuck with for 3 fucking years!!). wouldn't it have been nice to have some cash to throw at a free agent this offseason? maybe take dalembert's cap hit and trade brand or iggy, then go after carmelo. holy shit, what a concept. but no, this team is stuck with a bunch of shitty players that were brought in for no apparent reason.

turner and speights should be playing more. seriously, why is nocioni in the rotation? give his minutes to turner...even if it means playing young and/or iguodala somewhere other than the 3.

you are all excited about mediocrity. this team has no direction

i agree about nocioni, though i don't think he's under contract as long as you say. turner's minutes are more taken by iguadala at this point though. once we hopefully get him out of here, tuner will be playing more. he's averaging 24 minutes. i'd like to see him get another 6 or 7. luckily nocioni has been hurt for the past week or so. but the core youngsters of this squad are all average more than 24 minutes. again--we are playing the young bucks...they're just playing better than casual fans expected.

the dalembert thing--that was collins. dude was a cancer. you keep ripping the front court and saying if he were still here it would be better...but fail to realize he has been dreadful this year. i hear you on the money thing though.

speights.....speights? i just don't think he's that good. i don't like no-effort guys. and that's what he is to me. hopefully collins can get something more out of him. i don't see why love the guy so much though.

bottom line is you're talking to a guy who watched the phils even during the dark ages man. i still watch this team too. it's impossible not to see the improvement this year...if you actually watch them.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Fixer, I see your point, but the Dalembert trade really isn't that horrible. I'll take one more year of Nocioni and Hawes over having Dalembert here for one more day. It's not like their going to be dominating anyone next year either. It's really not incredibly terrible. Who knows, maybe they move another one of them since both have one year left.

i can't blame collins for wanting him out of here. collins has this team playing hard every single night. i don't think that would have happened with that stiff still around.

you gotta respect they way they've been playing. their defense is good and they don't turn the ball over that much.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

nocioni has 2 years after this one.

it was an awful trade. they added 2 guys that aren't any help. it was strictly a cost saving move.

I will always root for the sixers, but they are a horribly run franchise. even cliffy, a guy who WORKED there, said as much