Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    polaris_x wrote:
    they couldn't even fill out the eastern conference roster because it was so bad ...

i must have missed something since they haven't annouced the all star reserves yet.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    81 wrote:
    i must have missed something since they haven't annouced the all star reserves yet.

TNT was picking their choices for all stars (chuck, c-webb, etc ...) both chuck and c-webb didn't want to use all the spots because they didn't think there was enough guys deserving of spots ...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

TNT was picking their choices for all stars (chuck, c-webb, etc ...) both chuck and c-webb didn't want to use all the spots because they didn't think there was enough guys deserving of spots ...

got it. i don't watch talking head shows.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    polaris_x wrote:
    do you read john hollinger at all? he's got them 14 in his power ratings (i think he had them at 26 going into the season) and has them finishing 40-42. all depends on what they do or don't do at the deadline obviously...

they'd be silly to do anything at the deadline except gain relief from salary until a new CBA is in place ...

that's what i mean. if they trade iggy it would be for expiring contracts...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

so then i don't get why you keep saying they should tank the season. you keep contracting yourself.

free agency is the easiest way...top 10 picks don't hurt either

this team is stuck in an endless cycle of mediocrity. I just don't see how you can get behind such ineptitude. I know you keep bringing up holiday in the middle of the 1st round as a good pick, which it was. The success rate of picks in the top 10 are most likely higher than picking around 20...so the more games they lose, the better they are in my opinion.

tanking for a couple of seasons and drafting a stud with the top pick is the way to go. Free agency is expensive.

you'd think the clippers would be winning championships left and right then :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    clippers are idiots....

they lose Blake in 5 years. mark it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    clippers are idiots....

they lose Blake in 5 years. mark it.

no doubt.

i keep hearkening back to my point though. how do you tank a season? by playing your young players right? with the exception of brand (who is here for 2 more years) and iguadala 5 of their top 7 minute guys are all 24 and younger. the young guys are actually kinda good. they are too good to tank. :mrgreen:

this thread just goes around in circles.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bench the good players and play the scrubs.

injuries are a good way to tank as well. just ask San Antonio back when they picked up Tim Duncan.

Or have Scott Skiles come in and coach for a few years. by the end, the players will stop playing and you end up with D. Rose.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    the 76ers are in a shit spot. too talented to miss the playoffs (in a crappy eastern confrence), but not good enough to contend.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    bench the good players and play the scrubs.

injuries are a good way to tank as well. just ask San Antonio back when they picked up Tim Duncan.

Or have Scott Skiles come in and coach for a few years. by the end, the players will stop playing and you end up with D. Rose.

:lol: dude come on.

after mj retired, didnt the bulls go like 6 seasons with wins under the 30 mark? a bunch of 17 and 19 win years. that's 6 miserable seasons. followed by 6 mediocre seasons...and now a legit contender! and i could be wrong but rose was selected after the 4th straight year of medocrity... :?

see, it's just that easy guys! :roll: :thumbup:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    obvioulsy, that 98-99 team was a disaster....

then they got somebody decent to build around (you might know this guy, he's your current PF), but traded him so they could do the twin tower of eddie curry and tyson chandler. chandler has turned out to be a solid player, if not a star. curry, well, he's a major flop in NY.

so the rebuilding began anew with the likes of small guards and bad trades (tyrus thomas for aldridge)

than they got smart and flopped during hte 07-08 and entered the lottory. thankfully, the nba is crooked and stern gifted teh top pick to the Bulls.

the rest is how you say history.

so the key is....next time the Philly region is going to produce a stud, choke that season away.

:lol:

trust me, it was a long painful decade.

this year has been so refreshing.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    obvioulsy, that 98-99 team was a disaster....

then they got somebody decent to build around (you might know this guy, he's your current PF), but traded him so they could do the twin tower of eddie curry and tyson chandler. chandler has turned out to be a solid player, if not a star. curry, well, he's a major flop in NY.

so the rebuilding began anew with the likes of small guards and bad trades (tyrus thomas for aldridge)

than they got smart and flopped during hte 07-08 and entered the lottory. thankfully, the nba is crooked and stern gifted teh top pick to the Bulls.

the rest is how you say history.

so the key is....next time the Philly region is going to produce a stud, choke that season away.

trust me, it was a long painful decade.

this year has been so refreshing.

ha... i hear you. the year you "tanked or flopped" you won 33 games and got lucky. that should have been a pick in the mid teens without stern's gift. the years you really did tank you didn't get much because the nba draft is a total crap shoot. getting the top pick like that rarely ever happens. last two years they languished around 40 wins too. sixers should have picked around 10th last year and got lucky with the 2nd pick. jury is still out on turner obviously.

i admittedly don't follow the nba nearly as much as i used to but how did the hawks build their current team? with where the sixers are, i would think they'd be a realistic team to emulate.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    if memory serves, hawks drafted most of their team outside of joe johnson who they signed away from phoenix.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    looking over the sixers roster and there is nobody that makes you go WOW, we need to build around him. Ten years ago Brand was that guy, he was a beast. 20 points and 10 boards per game as a rookie. IMO, one of the worst trades ever for the Bulls. so stupid. they had a proven big guy and they trade him for the a draft pick to take a high school kid. that still pisses me off.

outside of carmelo, there aren't even any good free agents this year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    looking over the sixers roster and there is nobody that makes you go WOW, we need to build around him. Ten years ago Brand was that guy, he was a beast. 20 points and 10 boards per game as a rookie. IMO, one of the worst trades ever for the Bulls. so stupid. they had a proven big guy and they trade him for the a draft pick to take a high school kid. that still pisses me off.

outside of carmelo, there aren't even any good free agents this year.

who did they trade him for again?

yeah that's the sixers problem. they have the pieces of the puzzle, but they're missing that one key cog. and they're most likely not getting it with the 14th pick in the draft. it is what it is. so i think playoff experience, albeit a short one, can only help their young players grow up quicker.

when's the trade deadline? 3 weeks from now?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    one of the Bulls worst trades ever. you just don't trade a big guy that can post up and rebound.
    Two years ago, the Chicago Bulls made Elton Brand the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.On Wednesday, they traded their best player to the Los Angeles Clippers for the rights to 7-foot high school forward/center Tyson Chandler and forward Brian Skinner. Brand, who shared the NBA rookie of the year award with Steve Francis after the 1999-2000 season, averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds during his two seasons in Chicago.

Chandler was the No. 2 pick by the Clippers. He averaged 26 points, 15 rebounds and eight blocked shots at Dominguez High in Compton, Calif.

The Bulls now have two high school players on their roster. With the fourth pick Wednesday night, Chicago took local product Eddy Curry, a 6-11 center from Thornwood High of South Holland, Ill.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    jrue holiday's messing around....one rebound shy of a triple double...

edit---there it is. first triple double of his career. :clap::clap:

3 back of the knicks with a home and home this weekend....take the night and run motherf#ckers! :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    iguadala...another nice game. :think:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,103

Big home and home this weekend, battle for sixth and seventh place. I predict a split with the home team winning each time. Perhaps the Sixers will stay out late Saturday night for the noon start on Sunday..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

25 dimes on 6 turnovers in the last 4 games ...
  • Options

Big home and home this weekend, battle for sixth and seventh place. I predict a split with the home team winning each time. Perhaps the Sixers will stay out late Saturday night for the noon start on Sunday..

the battle to lose to the bulls as opposed to miami or boston is heating up.... :mrgreen:

sixers are so much better at home than the road. i would agree with your take.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

the battle to lose to the bulls as opposed to miami or boston is heating up.... :mrgreen:

Though the Sixers did not come down with a case of New Yorkitis, the last time they played a noon Sunday game here. I still have nightmares of that four-game sweep they laid on the Knicks two years ago.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

Though the Sixers did not come down with a case of New Yorkitis, the last time they played a noon Sunday game here. I still have nightmares of that four-game sweep they laid on the Knicks two years ago.

i think we talked about this before but it would be pretty cool to have both teams be good at the same time. that has not happened too often. briefly in the late 80's. it's sort of like the mets and phils...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    some would say AI is playing at an all star level

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba-315939

:mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I seem to recall it occurring during 1988-1989 and 1989-90. I think by the time the Knicks became really good, the Sixers had begun their post Barkley decline, which eventually led to Allen Iverson. I still remember opening night 2000-01 at MSG when the Sixers laid a beating on the Knicks.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    some would say AI is playing at an all star level

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba-315939

:mrgreen:

that actually mentioned elton brand too, which is ridiculous.

but he's actually having a really productive season.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I seem to recall it occurring during 1988-1989 and 1989-90. I think by the time the Knicks became really good, the Sixers had begun their post Barkley decline, which eventually led to Allen Iverson. I still remember opening night 2000-01 at MSG when the Sixers laid a beating on the Knicks.

that's pretty much right.

i remember that opening night too. it was my last semester at college. one of our roomates was from the nyc area and a huge knicks fan. sixers started off 11-0 or something that year. it was fun to bust his stones and tell him the sixers were going undefeated for the first couple weeks of the season.

i think that game was halloween if i'm not mistaken.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    This is the game: http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams ... 031&tm=NYK

In my first job out of college, my maniacal boss, who I got along with was a huge Sixer fan. Every time Aaron McKie would do something, he'd yell out "Yeah Blue". Once he wanted me to get something from MSG for his kid and he reimbursed me with a Sixers' check.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

In my first job out of college, my maniacal boss, who I got along with was a huge Sixer fan. Every time Aaron McKie would do something, he'd yell out "Yeah Blue". Once he wanted me to get something from MSG for his kid and he reimbursed me with a Sixers' check.

ha...was this when you were a writer or something?

totally remember that game
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

ha...was this when you were a writer or something?

totally remember that game

This was when I worked as an overnight editor at the wire service in Jersey City. I used to always dread writing Sixers recaps but I never wound up having any problems, even with the few times I wrote Sixer playoff recaps.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022