I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    MedozK said:

Picked this one up this week. If you're a fan of Bill, this is an exceptional pressing.

Not specifically a question about this album but more of a question about greatest hits albums. With the material on the album coming from several different recording sessions and several disparate album masters - how can a audiophile album be created like this?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,610
    In 1981 they probably cut a hits master from the master tapes. This reissue was probably cut from that hits master. But it is entirely possible they went back to original tapes and redid it from those
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951

In 1981 they probably cut a hits master from the master tapes. This reissue was probably cut from that hits master. But it is entirely possible they went back to original tapes and redid it from those

Thanks for the info - I'm kinda needy like that
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,883
    mcgruff10 said:

Anybody know a cheap place to pick up:
    Achtung baby
    How to dismantle an atomic bomb

Not cheap, but the 20th Anniversary deluxe blue vinyl boxset for Atchung Baby is pretty sweet .... for less than $200. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Achtung baby

Not cheap, but the 20th Anniversary deluxe blue vinyl boxset for Atchung Baby is pretty sweet .... for less than $200. :lol:;)
    Yikes!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited January 2017
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Achtung baby

Yikes!
    I actually have it, but bought it when it came out for face value, which I think was around $100 or so? I thought it was worth it at the time, apparently. :tongue: It really is a nice package, but the 3rd and 4th discs are various remixes.... TBH I don't like any of those, really. They're mostly kind of like dance remixes, which to me is almost like a symbol of some of the bad things to come after Achtung Baby. That's why if I had to do it over, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I guess I paid that much because I had collectors' brain that day and wanted some blue vinyl, lol. Plus the actual box is swanky. It's the kind with the magnetic flap, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Achtung baby

Yikes!
    I actually have it, but bought it when it came out for face value, which I think was around $100 or so? I thought it was worth it at the time, apparently. :tongue: It really is a nice package, but the 3rd and 4th discs are various remixes.... TBH I don't like any of those, really. They're mostly kind of like dance remixes, which to me is almost like a symbol of some of the bad things to come after Achtung Baby. That's why if I had to do it over, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I guess I paid that much because I had collectors' brain that day and wanted some blue vinyl, lol. Plus the actual box is swanky. It's the kind with the magnetic flap, lol.
    Hit it on the head with the bold...

Pop, Zoo, etc. that was too different than the U2 I wanted to hear. Achtung was a transition for sure...
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Achtung baby

Yikes!
    Hit it on the head with the bold...

Pop, Zoo, etc. that was too different than the U2 I wanted to hear. Achtung was a transition for sure...
    yeah i love acthung and then hated pop and zoo. yuck.
    Man. Zooropa is one of my favorite U2 albums. I was able to track down a legit original pressing (Its massively bootleged). That being said, I really like electronic music, so those flourishes hit the spot.
    I see they pressed the 2 LP Joshua Tree again. How does that sound vs the Original 1 LP pressing. May be worth picking up.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346

I see they pressed the 2 LP Joshua Tree again. How does that sound vs the Original 1 LP pressing. May be worth picking up.

I bought mine last night. Should be here in a few days. I know it's digitally sourced from the analogue tapes, but it's supposed to be much more dynamic than the original Island pressing. I actually like the original, it's not bad for the 80's. I'll give it the Pepsi challenge when it arrives. I'm very much looking forward to getting it.

I haven't heard it, but I think the original 1LP version sounds really great, so I don't get why anyone would want to bother with the 2LP when they could have a great sounding album on 1LP.
    Nerdery. And buying new stuff.
    Blink 182: enema of the state. One of my favorite albums from college.

Nerdery. And buying new stuff.

I see. :lol:
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Blind Melon--Soup (reissue)

Finally! Can't wait to spin this tonight!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    mfc2006 said:

It's waiting for me when I get home. Also bought a copy for my roommate because he's a big Blind Melon fan but doesn't keep up with music releases like I do.
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,380
    David Bowie- Blackstar
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    edited January 2017
    bflynn1 said:

mfc2006 said:

It's waiting for me when I get home. Also bought a copy for my roommate because he's a big Blind Melon fan but doesn't keep up with music releases like I do.
    Damn, mine is still showing waiting to ship. i guess i should've checked the PO box today.
    Did you guys tracking # update?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• reesdogreesdog Posts: 1,981
    New:

Mos Def ‎- Black On Both Sides.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2015 Reissue.

This was a very expensive album for brand-new. But, its great hip-hop...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.

• King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz (Ultra Clear w/ Black Smoke)

Never has gravity been so uplifting.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    edited January 2017
    lolobugg said:

bflynn1 said:

mfc2006 said:

Damn, mine is still showing waiting to ship. i guess i should've checked the PO box today.
    Yes. Ordered from Bull Moose. Left the east coast 2 days ago & arrived today in Portland.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    mfc2006 said:

lolobugg said:

bflynn1 said:

mfc2006 said:

Yes. Ordered from Bull Moose. Left the east coast 2 days ago & arrived today in Portland.
    Mine arrived here today in Fayetteville, AR. I ordered from Amazon.
  • GM17961GM17961 Posts: 158
    Went to my local record store for the first time in a while and bought more than I probably should have...
    Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody; Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Johnny Cash - American IV
    Decemberists - Crane Wife; The Tain
    Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
    Courtney Barnett - Sometimes...Sit
    Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here
    Blur - The Great Escape
    1st - Randalls Island 1 '96
    20 shows in-between
    Most recent - St Louis '22
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Is there a pressing of Yoshimi that reigns supreme over others?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • reesdogreesdog Posts: 1,981
    GM17961 said:

Went to my local record store for the first time in a while and bought more than I probably should have...
    Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody; Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Johnny Cash - American IV
    Decemberists - Crane Wife; The Tain
    Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
    Courtney Barnett - Sometimes...Sit
    Tribe Called Quest - We Got it From Here
    Blur - The Great Escape

Great mixture there, hearing good things about that A Tribe Called Quest record..

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    Went and ordered that Music Matters Blue Train pressing.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    mcgruff10 said:

Pre ordered singles from bull moose.

has been officially been announced?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2017

Went and ordered that Music Matters Blue Train pressing.

Nice. You spend the extra and get the Blue vinyl? You have to really like that album to pay $60 for the basic version.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    Yeah. I paid up.

I love Trane. And Blue Tain was one of my first exposures to jazz, so its a album I'll always love. Any time I've paid up for audiophile Jazz reissues, its been well worth the money. This is the first Music Matters reissue I've purchased,but I know I wont be disappointed.

And yeah, I probably could have paid $30 and bought the mono Atlantic box. But I think thats gonna be around for a bit, these MM pressings wont.