Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,743
    edited January 2017
    MedozK said:

BLACK35 said:

Been checking the used bins latley as my dad bought my a record player for Xmas and need some vinyl. Is it me or are vinyl records expensive. What's a decent range that I should keep in mind? I checked one store yesterday and he had a ton of what I would have liked to get, but they were all either $20 or $30. They were all in bad condition in my opinion, you could see water stains on the bottom of a bunch of them. Just not looking to spend a fortune on used records. The $20-$30 range is what I used to buy records for when I was younger and they were new

That's way overpriced, I guess depending on the release. My local has used between a few dollars to about $20 for a well known album. I can usually find used stuff I like for around $10. Lots of stores are just taking advantage of the vinyl resurgence and I think that is one of the reasons these brick and mortar stores are closing. Going online and purchasing records are much cheaper. If you don't mind using online resources, Discogs is a great resource and you can find really good deals.
    I don't really find online the best place for used records unless they are hard to find (or the store is ripping you off, as MedozK said). Once the shipping cost is factored in you don't save money compared to used bins at the record store.
    But BLACK35, some used albums cost a lot because of rarity. Best method IMO is to look up the album you're looking at in the store on discogs using your phone. Comparison shop so you can determine if the used record in the store is overpriced or reasonably priced. Just remember to factor in shipping with the online price, be (unless the store is use that could cost even more than the record itself. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

BLACK35 said:

Been checking the used bins latley as my dad bought my a record player for Xmas and need some vinyl. Is it me or are vinyl records expensive. What's a decent range that I should keep in mind? I checked one store yesterday and he had a ton of what I would have liked to get, but they were all either $20 or $30. They were all in bad condition in my opinion, you could see water stains on the bottom of a bunch of them. Just not looking to spend a fortune on used records. The $20-$30 range is what I used to buy records for when I was younger and they were new

That's way overpriced, I guess depending on the release. My local has used between a few dollars to about $20 for a well known album. I can usually find used stuff I like for around $10. Lots of stores are just taking advantage of the vinyl resurgence and I think that is one of the reasons these brick and mortar stores are closing. Going online and purchasing records are much cheaper. If you don't mind using online resources, Discogs is a great resource and you can find really good deals.
    I don't really find online the best place for used records unless they are hard to find (or the store is ripping you off, as MedozK said). Once the shipping cost is factored in you don't save money compared to used bins at the record store.
    Lots of sellers on Discogs combine shipping on lots, the key is to look for shipping terms and save big. I just bought a lot of records this weekend; I listed them a few pages back. I paid $4 in shipping TOTAL, not to mention I didn't pay tax.
  • Options
    fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PA Posts: 332
    Just picked up Fugazi - Repeater. Pretty excited to spin it.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,403

Just picked up Fugazi - Repeater. Pretty excited to spin it.

very nice!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,797

I received the 2007 reissue in the mail yesterday and spun it last night. I have a very nice copy of the 1987 original Island. Here are my thoughts about it in comparison, in case you were debating this.

The reissue is definitely better, but by home much is debatable. I found the sound a little fuller than the original. The original is a very good press I think, for the 80's but it's a bit bright, not distant which is why it sounds very good. This reissue is both clear and 'lush', which is the best of both worlds. The big difference is how quiet the vinyl is. It does not have any of the surface noise as a record from 30 years ago will have so that's a plus. I would say that if this record is important to you and one of your favorites (it is for me) then it's worth spending the $30. If it isn't one that you listen to often, the OG is still pretty damn good.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I received the 2007 reissue in the mail yesterday and spun it last night. I have a very nice copy of the 1987 original Island. Here are my thoughts about it in comparison, in case you were debating this.

The reissue is definitely better, but by home much is debatable. I found the sound a little fuller than the original. The original is a very good press I think, for the 80's but it's a bit bright, not distant which is why it sounds very good. This reissue is both clear and 'lush', which is the best of both worlds. The big difference is how quiet the vinyl is. It does not have any of the surface noise as a record from 30 years ago will have so that's a plus. I would say that if this record is important to you and one of your favorites (it is for me) then it's worth spending the $30. If it isn't one that you listen to often, the OG is still pretty damn good.

Are you saying you think there is surface noise on an OG in perfect condition? Or surface noise because it's often damaged after 30 years? Just wondering your take, since I don't hear any surface noise on my OG.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

Are you saying you think there is surface noise on an OG in perfect condition? Or surface noise because it's often damaged after 30 years? Just wondering your take, since I don't hear any surface noise on my OG.
    I think it's a little noisy as a record. It's just got that vinyl sound that I feel like I hear on any record from the 70's and 80's, just that tiny little static that you hear. It's never dead quiet. And mine is at least a VG+. Some people really like that sound. I'm fine with it, but I prefer dead quiet.
    But even if you get past that and maybe my record could be a little nosier than yours, there is definitely a fuller sound on the reissue. I also compared it to my CD FLAC rip and to a 24/96 vinyl rip and it's not even close there.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,577
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

BLACK35 said:

But BLACK35, some used albums cost a lot because of rarity. Best method IMO is to look up the album you're looking at in the store on discogs using your phone. Comparison shop so you can determine if the used record in the store is overpriced or reasonably priced. Just remember to factor in shipping with the online price, be (unless the store is use that could cost even more than the record itself. :)
    Thanks for the advise, will keep that in mind :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

I think it's a little noisy as a record. It's just got that vinyl sound that I feel like I hear on any record from the 70's and 80's, just that tiny little static that you hear. It's never dead quiet. And mine is at least a VG+. Some people really like that sound. I'm fine with it, but I prefer dead quiet.
    But even if you get past that and maybe my record could be a little nosier than yours, there is definitely a fuller sound on the reissue. I also compared it to my CD FLAC rip and to a 24/96 vinyl rip and it's not even close there.
    That isn't my experience with older records in perfect condition... but interesting outlook. ;)
    I doubt I'll even need the reissue of Joshua Tree, since I'm very happy with my OG, but nice to know U2 is paying attention to sound quality on the reissues in general.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Blind Melon- Soup (Reissue)
    happy to finally get to listen to this on wax.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

That isn't my experience with older records in perfect condition... but interesting outlook. ;)
    I doubt I'll even need the reissue of Joshua Tree, since I'm very happy with my OG, but nice to know U2 is paying attention to sound quality on the reissues in general.
    They really need to remaster WAR. I love that album but it sounds so distant...
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Is it bad that I have zero U2 vinyl in my collection?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    edited January 2017
    MedozK said:

nope, the only ones that I would be interested in are Achtung Baby and Zooropa.
    but I think they are only available as special editions.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozK said:

Joshua is a must have in my book. It's a brilliant, although a pretentious album. But every song on it is beautiful and Bono's singing is stellar.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,027
    Surprisingly, Zooropa has never been repressed. It was included as a remastered CD in the Auchtung box, but the LP was ignored. Weird.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,022
    MedozK said:

Joshua tree and rattle and hum are a must in my opinion.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,360
    MedozK said:

Nope, it's a very good thing
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I think if you want classic albums in your collection, you need The Unforgettable Fire through Achtung.
  • Options
    Got the new Japandroids and Ty Segall today.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

Joshua is a must have in my book. It's a brilliant, although a pretentious album. But every song on it is beautiful and Bono's singing is stellar.

mcgruff10 said:

I think if you want classic albums in your collection, you need The Unforgettable Fire through Achtung.

Oh, I have them in the collection.. just Digital. Downloads (I have original UK pressing needle drops) and CDs... just wondering owning the actual vinyl is a must.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Oh, I have them in the collection.. just Digital. Downloads (I have original UK pressing needle drops) and CDs... just wondering owning the actual vinyl is a must.
    For Joshua Tree.. .definitely. The remaster is so much better than the original CD or the 2007 RE CD. If you have the OG pressing and don't love the album then it's good enough. But there is a stark difference between cd and vinyl on this one. IMO. Like I said above, I have some 24/96 vinyl rips too and they don't compare.
    I don't own any other as I stopped liking U2 after Achtung and the albums I really like are not that great on vinyl, from what I understand.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

For Joshua Tree.. .definitely. The remaster is so much better than the original CD or the 2007 RE CD. If you have the OG pressing and don't love the album then it's good enough. But there is a stark difference between cd and vinyl on this one. IMO. Like I said above, I have some 24/96 vinyl rips too and they don't compare.
    I don't own any other as I stopped liking U2 after Achtung and the albums I really like are not that great on vinyl, from what I understand.

Yea, I like the needle drops. I have a few of the more collectable early CDs, but don't listen to those much. In regard to the 2007 vinyl reissue of Joshua Tree, I have just read bad things about the pressing (it being pressed at United).. read that non-fill and scuffs were bad. Do you happen to have a EU version? Is it pressed somewhere else?
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

Yea, I like the needle drops. I have a few of the more collectable early CDs, but don't listen to those much. In regard to the 2007 vinyl reissue of Joshua Tree, I have just read bad things about the pressing (it being pressed at United).. read that non-fill and scuffs were bad. Do you happen to have a EU version? Is it pressed somewhere else?
    https://www.discogs.com/U2-The-Joshua-Tree/release/2094689

This is the one I have. I saw some remarks around that as well but the Hoffman commentary was very good as was the overall rating. My copy is clean..perfect. And I hear everything. I sent back lots of records people rave about.
  • Options

Surprisingly, Zooropa has never been repressed. It was included as a remastered CD in the Auchtung box, but the LP was ignored. Weird.

Really? There is a Zooropa CD in the Achtung Baby anniversary blue vinyl boxset? Or are you talking about some other box set?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

This is the one I have. I saw some remarks around that as well but the Hoffman commentary was very good as was the overall rating. My copy is clean..perfect. And I hear everything. I sent back lots of records people rave about.
    Thanks, I may take a look at that one.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

Thanks, I may take a look at that one.
    I have the Canadian OP. It's OK.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,054
    lolobugg said:

Blind Melon- Soup (Reissue)
    happy to finally get to listen to this on wax.

Same here...the black vinyl sounds fantastic!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited February 2017
    ^^^just got the colored version of Soup. Sounds amazing.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

I wouldn't go off the 'reviews' section on Discogs for individuals comments on certain pressings, I find them grossly misleading, one mans shit sounding record is another mans great pressing. Plus, no one ever seems to say what gear they're playing the records on and weather they've cleaned them properly before playing.

Also, of course there are anomalies within pressings (a warped record, scuff marks) and the people who have a bad one out of, say a batch of 5000, soon jump on Discogs and tell you how crap it is... Rediculous, tedious and very frustrating, it's vinyl, it's not meant to be perfect, never has been, never will be.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    reesdog said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

I wouldn't go off the 'reviews' section on Discogs for individuals comments on certain pressings, I find them grossly misleading, one mans shit sounding record is another mans great pressing. Plus, no one ever seems to say what gear they're playing the records on and weather they've cleaned them properly before playing.

Also, of course there are anomalies within pressings (a warped record, scuff marks) and the people who have a bad one out of, say a batch of 5000, soon jump on Discogs and tell you how crap it is... Rediculous, tedious and very frustrating, it's vinyl, it's not meant to be perfect, never has been, never will be.
    I find the Steve Hoffman discussions more helpful than discogs. But I do look at the review rating on the site. I hope they are evaluating the media quality not the music but I'm sure it's both.