Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,033
    LukinFan said:

mcgruff10 said:

Pre ordered singles from bull moose.

has been officially been announced?
    Yeah, just this past week.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,812
    ^^ I have the same pressing from MM, the black not the blue. Awesome, awesome album. Sounds so great.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM original press including the inserts etc.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    bflynn1 said:

Nice, Classic that needs to be in everyone's collection.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Hey, BAND OF HORSES on
    AUSTIN CITY LIMITS right now PBS.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,583
    Been checking the used bins latley as my dad bought my a record player for Xmas and need some vinyl. Is it me or are vinyl records expensive. What's a decent range that I should keep in mind? I checked one store yesterday and he had a ton of what I would have liked to get, but they were all either $20 or $30. They were all in bad condition in my opinion, you could see water stains on the bottom of a bunch of them. Just not looking to spend a fortune on used records. The $20-$30 range is what I used to buy records for when I was younger and they were new
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

Been checking the used bins latley as my dad bought my a record player for Xmas and need some vinyl. Is it me or are vinyl records expensive. What's a decent range that I should keep in mind? I checked one store yesterday and he had a ton of what I would have liked to get, but they were all either $20 or $30. They were all in bad condition in my opinion, you could see water stains on the bottom of a bunch of them. Just not looking to spend a fortune on used records. The $20-$30 range is what I used to buy records for when I was younger and they were new

That's way overpriced, I guess depending on the release. My local has used between a few dollars to about $20 for a well known album. I can usually find used stuff I like for around $10. Lots of stores are just taking advantage of the vinyl resurgence and I think that is one of the reasons these brick and mortar stores are closing. Going online and purchasing records are much cheaper. If you don't mind using online resources, Discogs is a great resource and you can find really good deals.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Make a trip to the US - don't be in a hurry to build your collection. Have fun.
  • Options
    Yesterday I picked up an NM copy of both Police- Zenyatta Mondatta and Stones - Tattoo You for $13 total, out the door...both original pressings. I feel like that's a little bit of an exception as it's hard to find good pressings that cheap I think. 20-30 bucks should absolutely get you a new single at about $20 and $30 for a double album, unless there is something special or unique about it.
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,181
    edited January 2017
    Got these all on Discogs over the weekend. All are VG+ at worst, about half are NM-. Got a great deal on shipping as well. Trying to fill some gaps in my '80's collection...all original pressings.

Police - Synchronicity ($7)
    Police - Zenyatta Mondatta ($5)
    Bon Jovi - Slippery when wet ($11)
    Van Halen - 5150 ($4)
    Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA ($5)
    Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry ($8)
    Quiet Riot - Metal Health ($3)
    .38 Special - Wild-Eyed Southern Boys ($3)
    Mr. Mister - Welcome to the Real World ($4)
  • Options

Got these all on Discogs over the weekend. All are VG+ at worst, about half are NM-. Got a great deal on shipping as well. Trying to fill some gaps in my '80's collection...all original pressings.

Van Halen - 5150 ($4)

ARe you saying you ordered all these from dealers on Discogs? I'm curious how Synchronicity is on vinyl...Zenyatta was really nice so now I want more...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Van Halen - 5150 ($4)

ARe you saying you ordered all these from dealers on Discogs? I'm curious how Synchronicity is on vinyl...Zenyatta was really nice so now I want more...
    Yeah, all from dealers on Discogs. There are so many versions of Syncronicity, it is almost overwhelming. I lost count of how many U.S. Pressings alone there were. I try to enter as many things into my want list as I can, that way when something becomes available for a decent price I get an email alert.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I'm curious how Synchronicity is on vinyl...Zenyatta was really nice so now I want more...

It's a great pressing. Make sure you get one that has Bob Ludwig's etchings on both sides (RL). Those are the ones you want. Like @mookieblalock said, there are a lot of different pressings.. vinyl type, variant covers... so do your research before getting one.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,056
    mrussel1 said:

^^ I have the same pressing from MM, the black not the blue. Awesome, awesome album. Sounds so great.

Same here, one of my favorite and best sounding records to listen to.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

I'm curious how Synchronicity is on vinyl...Zenyatta was really nice so now I want more...

It's a great pressing. Make sure you get one that has Bob Ludwig's etchings on both sides (RL). Those are the ones you want. Like @mookieblalock said, there are a lot of different pressings.. vinyl type, variant covers... so do your research before getting one.
    Thanks.. do you have SP-3735?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yea, I have one that is in my trade in section of my collection. It's a little noisy for my taste, so everytime I hit a store... I look for another. One day will upgrade to a NM, hopefully. I could probably get one online, but the one I have is a used bin... so I kinda like hunting.,lol

The important part is to find RL etchings on BOTH sides. I have seen a lot that only have it on side 1.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Yea, I have one that is in my trade in section of my collection. It's a little noisy for my taste, so everytime I hit a store... I look for another. One day will upgrade to a NM, hopefully. I could probably get one online, but the one I have is a used bin... so I kinda like hunting.,lol

The important part is to find RL etchings on BOTH sides. I have seen a lot that only have it on side 1.

I found a purple RL available.. I don't knew of its etched on both sides. But it's a BYR I believe
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

I found a purple RL available.. I don't knew of its etched on both sides. But it's a BYR I believe
    If it's both sides, get it. You can get it with just side 1 RL, but you always be wondering how different a two side would be.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    bflynn1 said:

Got that for 5 bucks last year.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

Got that today for 10 bucks. I also got Making Movies by Dire Straits today as well. I just need On Every Street and the 2LP version of Brothers In Arms and I'll have all the studio DS albums. I have the shortened single lot of BIA.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

If it's both sides, get it. You can get it with just side 1 RL, but you always be wondering how different a two side would be.
    Why would RL be on one side but not the other, or why would it matter? Were the two side actually mastered by two different people?

When I look up the version (based on the number, the color (purple) and the color pattern of the front of the album, Discogs says it's mastered by RL.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

Why would RL be on one side but not the other, or why would it matter? Were the two side actually mastered by two different people?

When I look up the version (based on the number, the color (purple) and the color pattern of the front of the album, Discogs says it's mastered by RL.
    With a pressing as popular as Synchronicity, they went through a lot of stampers and the only thing you know for sure is that it was mastered and cut at Masterdisk, because that should be stamped on both sides. But depending on how many lacquers they needed to create mothers and stampers... they could have other engineers at Masterdisk cut lacquers.

Now you could look at the handwriting on the side with no RL and if it matches... he might have just not signed that lacquer for some reason.

As far as I know, the way to tell you have a true complete Ludwig cut is to have his RL etchings on both sides. Now on Discogs, somone submitting just sees the RL, and includes the credit. It's not wrong, just not completely right.

Edit - Additional Note: Because my version is an RL both sides.. I just checked a 7" single I have of Every Breath You Take.. the A side is Masterdisk RL, but the B side is just Masterdisk. So I checked the hand writing,.... doesn't match. The number 4 on the the RL does not meet like a triangle (like this 4). On side B, the top of the four does meet. So in this case, a different engineer at Masterdisk cut the B side.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

With a pressing as popular as Synchronicity, they went through a lot of stampers and the only thing you know for sure is that it was mastered and cut at Masterdisk, because that should be stamped on both sides. But depending on how many lacquers they needed to create mothers and stampers... they could have other engineers at Masterdisk cut lacquers.

Now you could look at the handwriting on the side with no RL and if it matches... he might have just not signed that lacquer for some reason.

As far as I know, the way to tell you have a true complete Ludwig cut is to have his RL etchings on both sides. Now on Discogs, somone submitting just sees the RL, and includes the credit. It's not wrong, just not completely right.

Edit - Additional Note: Because my version is an RL both sides.. I just checked a 7" single I have of Every Breath You Take.. the A side is Masterdisk RL, but the B side is just Masterdisk. So I checked the hand writing,.... doesn't match. The number 4 on the the RL does not meet like a triangle (like this 4). On side B, the top of the four does meet. So in this case, a different engineer at Masterdisk cut the B side.
    Listened to Synchronicity this morning, side one does sound better. The search will continue - thanks MendozK for the new info.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,365

mrussel1 said:

Van Halen - 5150 ($4)

Yeah, all from dealers on Discogs. There are so many versions of Syncronicity, it is almost overwhelming. I lost count of how many U.S. Pressings alone there were. I try to enter as many things into my want list as I can, that way when something becomes available for a decent price I get an email alert.
    Any tips for a Discogs newbie? I'm trying to fill in a few gaps in my collection, I've checked out a few listings on there but I haven't bought from anyone there yet. Do you have any pointers for what to look out for? I'm naturally cynical and skeptical, so I'm hesitant about trying new sites.
    Thanks!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited January 2017

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

Listened to Synchronicity this morning, side one does sound better. The search will continue - thanks MendozK for the new info.
    Ugh... And you have RL on just one side? The better sounding side?

Also, do you have the purple vinyl? It needs to be held up to light to tell.

How annoying.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    goldrush said:

mrussel1 said:

Van Halen - 5150 ($4)

Any tips for a Discogs newbie? I'm trying to fill in a few gaps in my collection, I've checked out a few listings on there but I haven't bought from anyone there yet. Do you have any pointers for what to look out for? I'm naturally cynical and skeptical, so I'm hesitant about trying new sites.
    Thanks!
    Best thing to do is if you are looking for specific pressings or conditions, just ask the seller questions before you purchase and see if they can confirm things for you.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

How annoying.
    Don't think of it as annoying, think of it as a better hunt. The internet has made is so easy. Just think how hard it would be to find that specific pressing in 1985.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

How annoying.
    Don't think of it as annoying, think of it as a better hunt. The internet has made is so easy. Just think how hard it would be to find that specific pressing in 1988.
    I found a long thread on this subject on Steve Hoffman. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/police-synchronicity-robert-ludwig-masterdisk.173583/

Here's what I gleaned (or decided..) through all of the information and misinformation:

1. There are indeed a rare few copies with RL on both sides. Some believe this was relegated to the promo copies only.
    2. The Columbia Record Company ones were cut by them and shitty (CRC)
    3. Several said it didn't make a difference if the RL was on one side or both. They were all cut by Masterdisk. Again, point of disagreement maybe.
    4. It appears... that the difference may be the vinyl itself (vs the mastering or pressing). The purple one appears to be on the KC-600 vinyl which is evidently better quality than the black. There is also a brownish one, perhaps Quiex.

I will probably pick up a purple one in short order and see if I can hear a difference between the two sides, if only one is stamped RL. I think one side is probably a longer run than the other so that could have a slight impact on the sound.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

How annoying.
    just the regular release I picked up for $1 - it's black - not really too annoyed - just part of the fun which is record collecting.....
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

How annoying.
    Don't think of it as annoying, think of it as a better hunt. The internet has made is so easy. Just think how hard it would be to find that specific pressing in 1988.
    I found a long thread on this subject on Steve Hoffman. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/police-synchronicity-robert-ludwig-masterdisk.173583/

Here's what I gleaned (or decided..) through all of the information and misinformation:

1. There are indeed a rare few copies with RL on both sides. Some believe this was relegated to the promo copies only.
    2. The Columbia Record Company ones were cut by them and shitty (CRC)
    3. Several said it didn't make a difference if the RL was on one side or both. They were all cut by Masterdisk. Again, point of disagreement maybe.
    4. It appears... that the difference may be the vinyl itself (vs the mastering or pressing). The purple one appears to be on the KC-600 vinyl which is evidently better quality than the black. There is also a brownish one, perhaps Quiex.

I will probably pick up a purple one in short order and see if I can hear a difference between the two sides, if only one is stamped RL. I think one side is probably a longer run than the other so that could have a slight impact on the sound.
    It should still sound good, because the cut is from the same Masterdisk master, no matter what engineer cut it.