Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,026
    brianlux said:
    I rarely eat meat anymore but when I do, I want it to be GOOD!  So when this guy told me this recipe today and said it was "FREAKIN' GOOD!", I thought I might have to try it sometime.  He said to cut up ribs so that they'll fit into a slow cooker and add a 12 ounces of Coca Cola. Start the slow cooker. Then, for the last hour, slather the ribs with barbecue sauce.

They guy was practically drooling when he told me this, LOL.  Anyone ever try it?
    I've got one even better.  Put Black bean and Garlic sauce on them instead, you'll find this in the Asian section.

Oh and Brian you are in the land of Tri-tip steak.  We can't get butchers to offer that cut here in NY...

@rgambs  Nice little haul.  I'll have to post the garden here soon too.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Forget cooking tonight.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    mcgruff10 said:
    Forget cooking tonight.  

That looks awesome. 

Hitting up a good old fashioned diner this evening, which is great because I am fuuuucking starving. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    That Grandma square pizza looks amazing!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    rgambs said:

This is pretty spectacular.  Well done!
  • Options
    if you have fresh basil and good fresh tomatoes, this sauce is the shit and emphasizes the tomatoes.

Stolen from Mark Bittman, as about half of my go-to recipes are.  Love how easy/good they are.
    Making myself tonight with shrimp being added....finishing some fresh pasta in it as a request from my sister, who is visiting.

Put chopped tomatoes (roughly 2 cups is what he calls for, I eyeball it at 3-4 tomatoes) in a bowl.  Add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Hack up a few cloves of garlic (keep pieces large) and add.  mix the shit all up, breaking down some of the tomatoes, but leave some chunks. 

Let it sit for a while.

While your pasta is cooking, take a scoop of water from the pasta and add to the mixture in the bowl.  After a few minutes take the garlic chunks out. 

Finish your pasta with the mixture, cooking the last minute.  Add a good amount of fresh basil and toss.

Enjoy with some wine, your favorite bread

My local italian shop where I get my fresh pasta makes killer gravy so if I want a pureed sauce, I just buy theirs.  For a rough topping (especially when mixing in shrimp) I go with the recipe above.

I was at the Italian market yesterday and decided to pick up some fresh pasta and tomatoes and made this. Very good. Will definitely be in rotation. Thanks for sharing
    Awesome!  My rendition with 2 pounds of shrimp added went over very well.  Made great drunken grind food the following night.  Good pasta and a good sauce like this is amazing to eat right out of the fridge.  Takes on a different taste than when it is hot but it is delicious.

Had a big BBQ on Saturday after our 10 Year Anniversary Re-Commitment ceremony.  Was just close family and I had a stream of beer (mixed in with tequila shots throughout) going all afternoon/night and made a few rounds of burgers & dogs.  Mother-in-law's Baked Beans and Potato Salad to go along and it was what may be our last true summer feast given our travel plans over the next month.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I will never refuse cold leftover Italiano (food, that is!).

:hug: to you and Mrs. F Me.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I will never refuse cold leftover Italiano (food, that is!).

:hug: to you and Mrs. F Me.
    Thanks Hedo -- and also for clarification on the necrophilia being out.  :lol:
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    rgambs said:

Beautiful!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    My small haul. I planted really late so in another week or so they'll be a lot more!
  • Options
    Nice -- what kind of pickles are you making?  (That is what is in the coco oil jars?)
  • Options
    Nice -- what kind of pickles are you making?  (That is what is in the coco oil jars?)
    That is coconut oil in them there jars!
  • Options
    That is coconut oil in them there jars!
    Ha!  Looked like something similar to cucumber spears were in them.  ;)

• Options
    What is coconut oil for?  A healthier version of olive oil?
  • Options
    Yes and you can cook on high heat with it too.
  • Options
    I roasted garlic yesterday, which I haven't done, and I made roasted red pepper hummus which wasn't too bad. Cooking made the day more enjoyable.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I baked brownies based on a recipe from "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar." I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try the recipe again but switch out chocolate chips and add white chocolate chips, and switch out canola oil and add apple sauce with a reduction in sugar. Also, I will add 1/8 tsp ground ginger to brighten the chocolate. Should be good!
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I baked brownies based on a recipe from "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar." I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try the recipe again but switch out chocolate chips and add white chocolate chips, and switch out canola oil and add apple sauce with a reduction in sugar. Also, I will add 1/8 tsp ground ginger to brighten the chocolate. Should be good!

Wait a minute!...you used a Vegan recipe that used Chocolate Chips?
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

Wait a minute!...you used a Vegan recipe that used Chocolate Chips?
    You bring up a good point. Some chocolate chips are vegan. I am not vegan so I didn't use that as a criteria, I just used a brand that I was familiar with. I'm looking at the ingredient list on the bag, and it looks like they are vegan, no whey and no casein. I don't see any milk powder as they are semi-sweet.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I hearby motion to ban all talk of vegan and gluten free food in our venerated food appreciation thread.
    :wink:

In reality though, I'm not down with desserts like the one you just described.  I don't see the point. Desserts are an indulgence, if they aren't, then they are wasted calories and time, no matter how healthy and easy they are.
    I've had some of these desserts and they just aren't nearly as delicious as their real counterparts.
    I do some serious calorie counting and diet monitoring, so it's not just that I don't care what I put in my body.
    Vegan, sugar free, gluten free, whatever they are cookies are nearly as nutritionally worthless as regular, tasty cookies. Personally, I'd much rather cut out things like crackers and suboptimal breads than eat dessert and feel like it's a chore.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I'm also not huge on dessert and would prefer most times to eat another helping of the main course.
    That stated, I have had some cakes/pies/whatnot that has blown my mind.
    A place around here used to make Coconut Cream Pie.  I never liked CCP but this was the best pie ever, imo. 

• Options
    House of Pies, Hollywood, early to mid '70's?  Holy shit did we consume a lot of chocolate cream pie.

That said, I'm like F Me - more of a savory than sweet person.  Ha!

I've found most "free-of-something" foods are also free of flavor and substance (and sometimes have a weird aftertaste).
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    https://wellnessmama.com/5734/coconut-oil/
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Olestra in potato chips made people shit themselves years back.  "At least they were non-fat!"
    :lol:

• Options
    rgambs said:
    I hearby motion to ban all talk of vegan and gluten free food in our venerated food appreciation thread.
    :wink:

In reality though, I'm not down with desserts like the one you just described.  I don't see the point. Desserts are an indulgence, if they aren't, then they are wasted calories and time, no matter how healthy and easy they are.
    I've had some of these desserts and they just aren't nearly as delicious as their real counterparts.
    I do some serious calorie counting and diet monitoring, so it's not just that I don't care what I put in my body.
    Vegan, sugar free, gluten free, whatever they are cookies are nearly as nutritionally worthless as regular, tasty cookies. Personally, I'd much rather cut out things like crackers and suboptimal breads than eat dessert and feel like it's a chore.
    These brownies were as good as non-vegan brownies. I'm a good judge. Also, it's another culinary culture. It's like trying to cook meals from a book based on Indian food, or a book based on Italian food, or a book based on "soul" food that you haven't tried before. It's exciting to try these new dishes.
  • Options
    FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    It's food truck Wednesday on campus. Today we got a waffle truck and a taco truck (which was supposed to be a poutine truck - not sure what happened there). I chose a chicken and waffle cone - yummy, although hard to eat.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's food truck Wednesday on campus. Today we got a waffle truck and a taco truck (which was supposed to be a poutine truck - not sure what happened there). I chose a chicken and waffle cone - yummy, although hard to eat.
    Taco trucks, as in real Mexican taco trucks, have always been my favorite.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Taco trucks, as in real Mexican taco trucks, have always been my favorite.
    My work had a grilled cheese truck for a holiday thing a few years back.  Lots of variations, fillings, etc.

MY GOD.  Rich, but so good.

It's a cereal-for-dinner evening for me (husband has leftover steak and potatoes waiting for him - I don't dare touch it).
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    LA taco trucks.  Shady neighborhood, late night.  Many a feast had.  Holy shit that is good eats right there.  A tongue taco (as opposed to tonguing taco) and a carnitas or Al pastor taco?
    Just the small ones with corn tortillas, cilantro and pico de gayo?   
    Bliss