Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

been enjoying portabella mushrooms w/ peach slices & cheese. wanted to use blue cheese but couldn't find any. used monterey jack w/ jalapeno. tasty.

so i was looking around online & found something that looks really good.

http://www.floatingkitchen.net/roasted-portobello-and-peach-sandwiches-with-basil-and-blue-cheese/

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    chadwick said:

been enjoying portabella mushrooms w/ peach slices & cheese. wanted to use blue cheese but couldn't find any. used monterey jack w/ jalapeno. tasty.

so i was looking around online & found something that looks really good.

http://www.floatingkitchen.net/roasted-portobello-and-peach-sandwiches-with-basil-and-blue-cheese/

Portabellas and peach?  What an interesting fusion.
  • Options

was at a small gathering saturday & there was food. but there was only one that slapped me silly. i don't know much about it yet but the lady in my life just got the recipe from her friend. i guess ya boil a couple chicken breasts, put the chicken through a grinder of sorts, add cream cheese, sour cream, whatever else & spices. put that in a crock pot. get yourself a sack of scoopin corn chips... get the hell out of here so good

anyone?  

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Little fish taco action tonight. Cod with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and some crushed red pepper. 

Little cabbage, tomato and picketed jalapeño on them.

they are pretty good. A weekday staple here.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Did a little experiment tonight; made a "breakfast" burger for dinner.  1/3 lb patty made up 2 parts 85/15 beef to 1 part pork sausage, bacon, cheese, & over easy egg on a toasted kaiser roll with a dab of mayo on the heel & butter on the crown.  Grated a potato and made hash browns for a side. I'm sure my cholesterol is about 300 right now but damn that shit was good!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    Did a little experiment tonight; made a "breakfast" burger for dinner.  1/3 lb patty made up 2 parts 85/15 beef to 1 part pork sausage, bacon, cheese, & over easy egg on a toasted kaiser roll with a dab of mayo on the heel & butter on the crown.  Grated a potato and made hash browns for a side. I'm sure my cholesterol is about 300 right now but damn that shit was good!
    A fried egg on a burger is always delicious! I think it's a highly underrated burger ingredient.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Stir fry.
    Chinese yard long beans, yellow squash, Carmen and Thai peppers, green cabbage and onion.  All from the garden of course.
    Sauce is brown sugar and soy sauce with fish sauce, garlic, chili paste, salt and ginger.  A typical Asian style sauce, sweet and hot and savory.
    Yum.

Too bad I can't grow rice lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Leftover turkey stew. Better on day 2.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Half a dozen eggs lightly scrambled as well.  With the temperature very moderate here the girls are laying at peak capacity, an egg per day each for 6 days in a row now.
  • Options
    Is it Portugal that does the egg on everything?  Some culture does it.
  • Options

made a pot of chili today. one can of black beans, one can of kidney beans, two cans of chili pinto beans & one can of chili starter bean mix. i like bush's beans. one day i'll use dry beans & soak them... until then, i like bush's. a good pound of 80/20 burger, one garden grown tomato given to us, about a 1/3 of a onion & a good splashing of el yucateco black habanero sauce. it's not hot chili, just quite tasty. add your frank's redhot sauce, whatever cheese is favored & or a nice dallop of sour cream if so inclined.

we're doing well this night      

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    enjoying this thread. thanks everyone. y'all be pretty good   

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    chadwick said:

made a pot of chili today. one can of black beans, one can of kidney beans, two cans of chili pinto beans & one can of chili starter bean mix. i like bush's beans. one day i'll use dry beans & soak them... until then, i like bush's. a good pound of 80/20 burger, one garden grown tomato given to us, about a 1/3 of a onion & a good splashing of el yucateco black habanero sauce. it's not hot chili, just quite tasty. add your frank's redhot sauce, whatever cheese is favored & or a nice dallop of sour cream if so inclined.

we're doing well this night      

This sounds good but definitely give dry beans A try sometime. They are great. Not a bad little recipe you got going there though

• Options
    edited August 2017
    i've soaked beans before when i was younger, like when mom was showing me how to cook. they do have a different taste & texture for sure. they seem to have a cleaner taste... less sodium & such. i'll give it a go here soon. now i'm excited about soaking beans     
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

Chili?

Is it November where you live Chad?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017

cooking is quite enjoyable most of the time except when feeling like dog crap, then cooking sucks. i've so many things i wanna cook. i'll give a quick (off the top of my head) list:

i wanna bake:

bread

pies

cakes

cinnamon & pecan rolls

cookies

edit - & biscuits  

bbq & or smoked to perfection:

beef brisket

one whole pig

& several other meaty things but (currently) i don't remember what they're called

i think i'd like to deep fry a turkey

the old man (rip) made a perfect pot of oyster stew every year for christmas. no matter what i do, it is not the same & it bums me out  

Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

Chili?

it's pretty much november all year over here. yep 12 months of november.

almost added a few scoops of peanut butter to the pot but didn't as i was thinking of others & their tastes

anyone ever make up a crock pot of lil smokies & add an entire jar of grape jelly to it? a friend back home does this & it is quite good   

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ I've tried it with equal parts grape jelly and plain yellow mustard. It was years ago, but I remember it being tasty.
  • Options
    This is the first time I've tried the yardlong beans, I'm sold 100%.
    They take time growing long first before filling, so you have a bigger picking window which is the issue I run into with bush and pole beans.
  • Options
    ^ I've tried it with equal parts grape jelly and plain yellow mustard. It was years ago, but I remember it being tasty.

yes mustard too, forgot that one

rgambs said:
    This is the first time I've tried the yardlong beans, I'm sold 100%.
    They take time growing long first before filling, so you have a bigger picking window which is the issue I run into with bush and pole beans.

nicely done, mr. that's really good stuff you got there

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    A fried egg on a burger is always delicious! I think it's a highly underrated burger ingredient.
    Yeah, I've had a fried egg on sandwiches (usually Primanti Bros style) but never tried it on a burger.  Seen it done, just haven't done it myself.  Figured since I had all the other breakfast ingredients, why not try it out?  The beef/sausage combo patty really set it off.  The bacon may have been a bit much.  Maybe I'll try a fried green tomato next time in place of it.

Is it Portugal that does the egg on everything?  Some culture does it.
    Yep, it's Portugal. And everything is not an exaggeration.
  • Options
    chadwick said:

Chili?

almost added a few scoops of peanut butter to the pot but didn't as i was thinking of others & their tastes

anyone ever make up a crock pot of lil smokies & add an entire jar of grape jelly to it? a friend back home does this & it is quite good   

I've had the crockpot lil smokies before and, yes, they are good.  I've never made them but I have done crockpot meatballs with jelly.  I don't use grape jelly though.  Barbecue sauce as a base (Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n spicy), a small jar of apple or red currant jelly, and a tablespoon or two of hot pepper jelly.  I'll throw in chopped green chilis and some spices as well.
  • Options
    chadwick said:

Chili?

I've had the crockpot lil smokies before and, yes, they are good.  I've never made them but I have done crockpot meatballs with jelly.  I don't use grape jelly though.  Barbecue sauce as a base (Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n spicy), a small jar of apple or red currant jelly, and a tablespoon or two of hot pepper jelly.  I'll throw in chopped green chilis and some spices as well.
    Oh geez I forgot about hot pepper jelly!  Haven't made it in 2 or 3 years.
    WTF am I doing with my life??

I don't know how true homesteaders get it all done.
    I've got about 20 hours worth of jellyin and picklin to do with all the attendant prep and cleanup.
    I need a grandma to help me I can't do it all on my own lol
  • Options
    Have some ghost peppers finally growing.  What should I do with these little bastards?  Just dry them?  Do a little ghost pepper oil infusion?
  • Options
    Ghost peppers make a great hot bbq sauce!  Hawaiian style with ghost peppers?  Yes please.

Anybody have any ideas for deviled eggs? 
    I'll make some normal ones, and some with hot peppers and vinegar, what else?
    I've got 2 dozen eggs old enough to boil and a campfire party this weekend.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Ghost peppers make a great hot bbq sauce!  Hawaiian style with ghost peppers?  Yes please.

Love this bbq sauce idea.  I have an awesome bbq sauce that I make as it is, and I think I'll make that and just substitute the crushed red pepper with a ghost pepper.  Boom.  Let that fucker simmer for a couple hours, strain, then use all the goodies (onion, garlic, ghost pepper now) on top of a burger or something.

The wife does our deviled eggs.  Love them, but I am no help here.

• Options
    rgambs said:

This looks interesting:
    http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51831/everything-deviled-eggs-recipe/

• Options
    chadwick said:

cooking is quite enjoyable most of the time except when feeling like dog crap, then cooking sucks. i've so many things i wanna cook. i'll give a quick (off the top of my head) list:

i wanna bake:

bread

pies

cakes

cinnamon & pecan rolls

cookies

edit - & biscuits  

beef brisket

one whole pig

& several other meaty things but (currently) i don't remember what they're called

the old man (rip) made a perfect pot of oyster stew every year for christmas. no matter what i do, it is not the same & it bums me out  

I'll speak for the deep fried turkey.

So living in Louisiana I was asked to a buddys house for turkey day.  He told me he's having a fried turkey delivered.  My response was "these damn southerners will fry anything!"

I was hesitant but said I'd try it.  Also told my buddy about making turkey salad afterwards for sandwiches.  He was excited about that.

Then I try it.  

Juiciest and best tasting turkey I've ever had.  Informed my buddy that making this into turkey salad would be blasphemous.   He splurged on the turkey and got it "injected" with juices too.

Since that day I've helped fry turkeys.

Fry it 1 minute for every pound and don't skimp on the oil.  100% peanut oil.

Enjoy
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    chadwick said:

i wanna bake:

bread

pies

cakes

cinnamon & pecan rolls

cookies

edit - & biscuits  

beef brisket

one whole pig

I would like to do a whole pig too.

have done a bunch of brisket. Not easy to get tender but delicious 

• Options

Starting at: $795.00
    October 13th - 15th, 2017
    Jack's Old South Cooking School will be held at my home in Unadilla, Georgia. There will be a meet and greet dinner on Friday at night, and the class starts at 9:00am on Saturday with Whole Hog. We'll then move on to Ribs, Chicken, Brisket, and Pork. The class will end on Sunday at 3:00pm. My school is for the novice, the enthusiast, and the trained chef, as well as for the BBQ competitor. The recipes are the same. The difference is who you'll be feeding. Whether you're serving BBQ judges, customers, or just friends and family, you'll elevate your BBQ game at my class. So, come over to my house and let's cook a little Q! See you there! ... Myron

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce