Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    when i hear the morning songbirds, woodpeckers & can start to see a bit of daylight parading through the tent, bam, i'm up. i'm alone to the quiet woods, well, except for the birds goin to town. it is beautiful & can make one emotional.

chadwick, I love this.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2017
    chadwick said:
    dankind said:
    I just throw a bunch of ingredients (think a chadwick-like list) into a pot or skillet, spice, and eat.

And yeah, I grill a lot in the summer, but I consider that more recreation; cooking is work.

I just worked all day. Why the hell do I want to come home and do more work? Next thing you know, I'll have to do those dishes.

Fuck that noise.

i think i make a decent pot of chili

I entered my chili into a cook-off in Brooklyn, and after it made it to a final round, the organizers wanted to know the recipe.

Recipe?

I sliced and diced and browned and spiced in a pot. You can see what's in there, for fucks sake, except the spices and beer, I guess. I have no idea how much of each went into it. I make that shit by taste, let it sit out in a warm pot overnight so that it tastes even better when it's time to eat it.

Recipe.... :weary:
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited August 2017

thank you, hedonist, thank you 

did you win? yes food has to mingle... ferment if you will. measuring is a crock of dung. i rarely time what im cooking & just recently been using a meat thermometer... mostly because other folks are concerned with meat temps... never used a meat thermometer ever in my life until a year or two ago... if your steak bleeds its rare... if your steak aint bloody it's well done... if the chicken has you vomiting i'd imagine it's because you drank too much, yes/no?       

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    some may say peanut butter added to chili makes it extra tasty. i never added it to the bulk of the chili but have put a spoon scoop of the stuff in my own bowl. it is pretty good

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I did not win. 

I've made a chili for vegan/vegetarian friends with cashews as the protein.

I wound up eating more of that  one than the meat chili for that shindig. It was goddamn good. We had these raw cashews in the cupboard forever. Figured we might as well use them.

I should try to make that again sometime. No need for friends. I think I went more garlic and sriracha than cumin and paprika for that one. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    dankind said:
    chadwick said:
    dankind said:
    I just throw a bunch of ingredients (think a chadwick-like list) into a pot or skillet, spice, and eat.

And yeah, I grill a lot in the summer, but I consider that more recreation; cooking is work.

I just worked all day. Why the hell do I want to come home and do more work? Next thing you know, I'll have to do those dishes.

Fuck that noise.

i think i make a decent pot of chili

I entered my chili into a cook-off in Brooklyn, and after it made it to a final round, the organizers wanted to know the recipe.

Recipe?

I sliced and diced and browned and spiced in a pot. You can see what's in there, for fucks sake, except the spices and beer, I guess. I have no idea how much of each went into it. I make that shit by taste, let it sit out in a warm pot overnight so that it tastes even better when it's time to eat it.

Recipe.... :weary:
    Seriously.  There's no such thing as a chili recipe.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited August 2017
    dankind said:

Fuck that noise.
    I totally feel the same way. I can cook - I've actually got a natural knack for it, and my mom taught me a lot starting from a young age. The problem is that I don't enjoy it unless it's for company, and since I use my dining table as my music station instead, that doesn't happen much either, lol! I would rather just keep it super simple and minimize the time, effort, and dirty dishes. I am not adverse to eating cereal and some raw veggies for dinner. :lol: But if I'm actually cooking it's usually something simple. Steamed broccolini and some roast chicken, or some pasta tossed in a pan with some butter, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, and spices, that kind of thing. Since I let the stove do all the work, such a meal takes up maybe 6 minutes of my time, and that's what I'm going for. Recipes are for chumps (or, you know, people who like to cook! ;) ). However, when I want to impress someone, I can cook up some amazing reciepes, and I can also just make up dishes and have them turn out really well. I've got the skill but not the will. =)

I am also kind of an amateur grill master - I know how to cook everything on the grill, and understand meat very well (including real BBQ with the wood chips and all that). But I actually used my grill so much and so heavily for actual BBQ that I ruined it, and I haven't replaced it. So haven't grilled for a long time. I need to get a new one.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    mcgruff10 said:
    Anybody got a good quick dry rub recipe for London broil?
    Montreal Steak seasoning or

White pepper
    garlic powder
    lemon pepper
    onion powder
    sesame seeds

pinch of salt, forgot.
    I made that minus the sesame seeds....delish!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    if you have fresh basil and good fresh tomatoes, this sauce is the shit and emphasizes the tomatoes.

Stolen from Mark Bittman, as about half of my go-to recipes are.  Love how easy/good they are.
    Making myself tonight with shrimp being added....finishing some fresh pasta in it as a request from my sister, who is visiting.

Put chopped tomatoes (roughly 2 cups is what he calls for, I eyeball it at 3-4 tomatoes) in a bowl.  Add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Hack up a few cloves of garlic (keep pieces large) and add.  mix the shit all up, breaking down some of the tomatoes, but leave some chunks. 

Let it sit for a while.

While your pasta is cooking, take a scoop of water from the pasta and add to the mixture in the bowl.  After a few minutes take the garlic chunks out. 

Finish your pasta with the mixture, cooking the last minute.  Add a good amount of fresh basil and toss.

Enjoy with some wine, your favorite bread

My local italian shop where I get my fresh pasta makes killer gravy so if I want a pureed sauce, I just buy theirs.  For a rough topping (especially when mixing in shrimp) I go with the recipe above.

This sounds awesome. I like it. Will be made shortly.

My go to is the nytimes cooking app. Tons of good stuff. Use some of the other aggregator apps like Epicurious from time to time but so much crap on there. Terms of cook books. I got a ny times one for Christmas last year, beyond awesome. Joy of cooking 75th anniversary you can't really go wrong with.  I have a few speciality ones. Italian, game, etc. the wife and I also buy a cookbook from everywhere we go, but don't use them as much. I support local chefs too and have a ton of philly based chef cookbooks 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Anybody got a good quick dry rub recipe for London broil?
    Montreal Steak seasoning or

White pepper
    garlic powder
    lemon pepper
    onion powder
    sesame seeds

pinch of salt, forgot.
    I made that minus the sesame seeds....delish!
    Right on!
  • Options
    Not much better than some crispy chicken thighs. Put those fuckers skin down for a good 8-10 minutes before flipping them and popping them in the oven and you will have some outstanding, juicy chicken 
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If there's a recipe, it ain't chili.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    if you have fresh basil and good fresh tomatoes, this sauce is the shit and emphasizes the tomatoes.

Stolen from Mark Bittman, as about half of my go-to recipes are.  Love how easy/good they are.
    Making myself tonight with shrimp being added....finishing some fresh pasta in it as a request from my sister, who is visiting.

Put chopped tomatoes (roughly 2 cups is what he calls for, I eyeball it at 3-4 tomatoes) in a bowl.  Add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Hack up a few cloves of garlic (keep pieces large) and add.  mix the shit all up, breaking down some of the tomatoes, but leave some chunks. 

Let it sit for a while.

While your pasta is cooking, take a scoop of water from the pasta and add to the mixture in the bowl.  After a few minutes take the garlic chunks out. 

Finish your pasta with the mixture, cooking the last minute.  Add a good amount of fresh basil and toss.

My local italian shop where I get my fresh pasta makes killer gravy so if I want a pureed sauce, I just buy theirs.  For a rough topping (especially when mixing in shrimp) I go with the recipe above.

This sounds awesome. I like it. Will be made shortly.

My go to is the nytimes cooking app. Tons of good stuff. Use some of the other aggregator apps like Epicurious from time to time but so much crap on there. Terms of cook books. I got a ny times one for Christmas last year, beyond awesome. Joy of cooking 75th anniversary you can't really go wrong with.  I have a few speciality ones. Italian, game, etc. the wife and I also buy a cookbook from everywhere we go, but don't use them as much. I support local chefs too and have a ton of philly based chef cookbooks 
    I will dl that app.

The pasta was really strong last night.  I ate two helpings, which I rarely do. 

@dankind love the Macaroni contribution.  "Most Folks!"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Who knew that Colonel Sanders outtakes could be so goddamn hilarious?

I'll tell you who knew: Mike Patton.

He knows everything.

Because he is GOD.

Thread integrity: I warmed up two leftover salmon cakes in the toaster oven, two eggs over easy (lotsa black pepper) went on top of those, a couple of schmears on top of those. Breakfast!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

walnuts are a big ingredient around here. sauteed walnuts in olive oil & or butter. remove walnuts from the heat. put in brussel sprouts... add walnuts... forget about it.

saute onion, mushrooms, brussel sprouts & walnuts

throw in some ham chunks

scramble up some eggs & dump into the mix 

when nearly done add spinach & pieces of cheese (tomato is good too)

get the hell out of here 

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Sounds good!
    Walnuts are used multiple times per week -- if not as a snack, as an integral salad topping.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I love me some walnuts.

Growing up, we always had a huge wood bowl full of them; some late '60's contraption with a nutbreaker in the middle.

*edit - nutcracker?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Nutbuster?
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Nutbuster?
    Who ya gonna call?
  • Options
    Ender of families...the nutbuster!
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited August 2017
    English muffin pizzas with a san marzano sauce and fresh mozzarella for the win! ;) So simple yet so tasty if done right.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    I rarely eat meat anymore but when I do, I want it to be GOOD!  So when this guy told me this recipe today and said it was "FREAKIN' GOOD!", I thought I might have to try it sometime.  He said to cut up ribs so that they'll fit into a slow cooker and add a 12 ounces of Coca Cola. Start the slow cooker. Then, for the last hour, slather the ribs with barbecue sauce.

They guy was practically drooling when he told me this, LOL.  Anyone ever try it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I rarely eat meat anymore but when I do, I want it to be GOOD!  So when this guy told me this recipe today and said it was "FREAKIN' GOOD!", I thought I might have to try it sometime.  He said to cut up ribs so that they'll fit into a slow cooker and add a 12 ounces of Coca Cola. Start the slow cooker. Then, for the last hour, slather the ribs with barbecue sauce.

They guy was practically drooling when he told me this, LOL.  Anyone ever try it?
    I've done it, very good!  
    Even better if you don't put the BBQ sauce in the crock.  Cook em tender, take them out and slather them up, then slap em on the grill till they get a little char.
  • Options

• Options

New record for us, 1.01kg
  • Options

Let it sit for a while.

I was at the Italian market yesterday and decided to pick up some fresh pasta and tomatoes and made this. Very good. Will definitely be in rotation. Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

I've done it, very good!  
    Even better if you don't put the BBQ sauce in the crock.  Cook em tender, take them out and slather them up, then slap em on the grill till they get a little char.

Yep, I've done this as well, but sans the crock pot. Let them ribs soak in Coca Cola for about 12 hours, then onto the grill. Gots to get that char. Yum-o!
    Time to Q it up, baby!
  • Options
    gambo, wow.  That looks better than the (fairly expensive) produce at the markets I frequent.  And I can imagine how those eggs must taste, let alone how they look when cracked open.

Yum to the cokeribs!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    rgambs said:

New record for us, 1.01kg
    That will make a big omelette!!  Nice work. 
    Hey what s the difference between brown and white eggs?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......