Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That thing up there is loaded, F Me...loaded, I tell ya!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    LA taco trucks.  Shady neighborhood, late night.  Many a feast had.  Holy shit that is good eats right there.  A tongue taco (as opposed to tonguing taco) and a carnitas or Al pastor taco?
    Just the small ones with corn tortillas, cilantro and pico de gayo?   
    Bliss

Yes!  Now you're talking!  

I was just in cali for a vacay and I went to a little hole in the wall place and asked for tacos.  They showed up with meat, onions and selantro on a corn tortilla.  Salsa on the side.

Thank you very much!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Fuck.  And, Yes.
    There is a dump of a place not far from me that serves authentic Mexican food.  Worth the drive.  Not LA-style good, but really good.  Much bigger as well.  Order 3 and cannot finish...whereas with the taco truck bombers I could put back 5-6 of them w/o any trouble.

Tasty salsa picante is a must.  The places around here seem to favor Valentina whereas LA places always had Tapatio and/or Cholula.
    If you ask for the hot shit, they will serve you up some special stuff to melt your tongue off.  I know some of y'all love your heat...next time you are at a true Mexican joint, ask them for the big boy hot sauce.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I just tried a watercress salad with roasted cherry tomatoes based on a Gordon Ramsey video. It would have been better with mustard or any greens with flavor. This bunch didn't have much flavor. The flavor was in the roasted cherry tomatoes and the shallot I chopped for it. Do any of you like watercress? What do you like to put on it.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Cannot recall the last time I ate watercress.  I dont associate any positive or negative feelings toward it....
  • Options
    Watercress is typically a bit peppery.  As my mom is Persian, growing up it was a staple of "sabzi" - a mix of various herbs and greens that usually included cress.  Grows like a motherfucker too.
  • Options
    Had a giant fucking Roast Beef sammie from our best local Jewish Deli, The Kibitz Room, for lunch today.
    Rye, RB, brown mustard.  Nice & simple.  Tough to get a good bite at the start...one of those types. 
    Roast beef was super rare, as it should always be.

• Options
    I was in the middle east and had the pleasure of enjoying Lebanese food.  Probably my favorite dining experience ever.

Raw Kibbeh was placed on the table and I asked "what is that?"
    "It's delicious!  Try it!"
    Me, "OK"
    Loved it.

My second trip over there we ate Lebanese again.  When they started putting food on the table  and there was the Kibbeh!  My buddy Ahmed yelled "CHRIS!  YOUR FAVORITE!!!"  and placed the whole plate in front of me.
    Loved it.

We drank a drink called Arak.  You have to mix it a certain way with ice and when done right the liquid turns a smoky grey in the glass.  It's made with anise and is considered a liqur.
    Loved it.

So here is what Kibbeh is:
    Kibbeh nayyeh or raw kibbeh is a Levantine mezze. It consists of minced raw lamb or beef mixed with fine bulgur and spices. Kibbeh nayyeh is often served with mint leaves, olive oil, and green onions. Arabic bread is used to scoop it.

Arak explained:  Arak is usually mixed in proportions of approximately one third arak and two thirds water in a traditional Eastern Mediterranean water vessel called Abarik, Arabic abarīq أبريق; then the mixture is poured into small, ice-filled cups. This dilution causes the clear liquor to turn a translucent milky-white color; this is because anethole, the essential oil of anise, is soluble in alcohol but not in water. This results in an emulsion, whose fine droplets scatter the light and turn the liquid translucent, a phenomenon known as louching. Arak is commonly served with mezza, which may include dozens of small traditional dishes. In general, arak drinkers prefer to consume it this way, rather than alone. It is also consumed with barbecues, along with garlic sauce.[6]

If ice is added after pouring it into the cup, this results in the formation of an aesthetically unpleasant layer on the surface of the drink, because the ice causes the oils to solidify. If water is added first, the ethanol causes the fat to emulsify, leading to the characteristic milky color. To avoid the precipitation of the anise (instead of emulsion), drinkers prefer not to reuse an arak-filled glass. In restaurants, when a bottle of arak is ordered, the waiter will usually bring a number of glasses along with it for this reason.

• Options
    Love Kibbeh.  One of my roommates in college was from Lebanon.  Exposed to all sorts of food from him.
    U/f that included Arak.  I had the worst asspiss while puking experience after drinking far too much Arak one night, along with many other things.
    If I smell that (or anything that smells like it) I retch to this day, some 20+ years later.
  • Options
    Makes me think of Sambuca and Ouzo.  Also drinks that can take a flying fuck before I drink them again.  All tastes/smells about the same. 

:lol:
  • Options
    Love Kibbeh.  One of my roommates in college was from Lebanon.  Exposed to all sorts of food from him.
    U/f that included Arak.  I had the worst asspiss while puking experience after drinking far too much Arak one night, along with many other things.
    If I smell that (or anything that smells like it) I retch to this day, some 20+ years later.
    Instead of a tequila story you have an Arak story, lol!!!
  • Options
    Instead of a tequila story you have an Arak story, lol!!!
    Oh I have lots of tequila stories but I learned to drink top shelf only....is there a top shelf Arak?  (I don't think I can get past the smell)
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Roast beef is rare for @F Me In The Brain

:giggle:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Roast beef is rare for @F Me In The Brain

:giggle:
    Neat and tight, not all Roast Beef-y and worn out....not like a Catcher's Mitt.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    This thread took a turn...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902
    Sliders with potato rolls, homemade tomato salad and fries. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I cooked a potato-olive stew today, which was pretty good. I want to add mushrooms. If you were cooking a potato stew when would you add mushrooms, and what type?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I'm drooling at the pizza thread.

(damn you for that description, Thirty)

It will be a comfort food night for us, needed.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ah, the simple pleasure of a well made BLT!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Vodka is the best food and my dinner this evening.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Ms. Haiku said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I baked brownies based on a recipe from "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar." I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try the recipe again but switch out chocolate chips and add white chocolate chips, and switch out canola oil and add apple sauce with a reduction in sugar. Also, I will add 1/8 tsp ground ginger to brighten the chocolate. Should be good!

Wait a minute!...you used a Vegan recipe that used Chocolate Chips?
    You bring up a good point. Some chocolate chips are vegan. I am not vegan so I didn't use that as a criteria, I just used a brand that I was familiar with. I'm looking at the ingredient list on the bag, and it looks like they are vegan, no whey and no casein. I don't see any milk powder as they are semi-sweet.

Ok great so Vegan Chocolate Chips then?...hey as long as the Biscuits taste good that's the main thing right :tongue:

• Options
    I'm still looking for other sauce recipes!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I love this one as a basic tomato sauce, which will really show off the flavor of fresh tomatoes.  I use it as a base for other things as well. It can be a pizza sauce. I sometimes add red wine and/or balsamic vinegar. Or I'll add some vodka and cream to take it in a different direction. 

Classic Italian Tomato Sauce

from The Splendid Table
    Ingredients
    • 5 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    • 12 large fresh basil leaves, torn
    • 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    • 1/8 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/4 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
    • 3 -1/2 pounds mixed ripe delicious tomatoes (never Romas of any kind), cored and possibly peeled (do not seed), or 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, drained
    • 1 pound modest-sized maccheroni, such as gemelli, strozzapretti, casareccia, zita, or penne, or substantial string pastas, such as perciatelli, spaghetti, linguine, or bucatini
    • 6 quarts boiling salted water
    • 1 -1/2 to 2 cups (6 to 8 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
    Instructions

1. In a 4-quart saucepan, combine the garlic, basil, onion, salt and pepper, and oil. Heat over medium-high heat 30 seconds, no more. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with your hands as they go into the pan. Bring to a lively bubble, uncovered, and cook 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and reduced by half. Stir often, watching for sticking or scorching. Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let stand 15 minutes. Then taste for seasoning.

2. If desired, pass the sauce through a food mill or chop it in a blender or food processor until in small pieces. If desired, the sauce can be cooled and refrigerated up to 4 days, or frozen up to 6 months.

3. Cook the pasta in fiercely boiling water, stirring often, until tender yet firm to the bite. Drain, toss with the reheated sauce, and serve immediately. Grated cheese is an option.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:
    Totally agree! But please tell me you use mayo and not Miracle Whip!
     I cure and smoke my own bacon, and cut nice thick slices for a BLT. Combine that with fresh off the vine tomatoes, crispy lettuce, generous mayo on some toasted home baked bread and I'm in heaven.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    rgambs said:
    Totally agree! But please tell me you use mayo and not Miracle Whip!
     I cure and smoke my own bacon, and cut nice thick slices for a BLT. Combine that with fresh off the vine tomatoes, crispy lettuce, generous mayo on some toasted home baked bread and I'm in heaven.
    Nothing wrong with the tangy zip!
    I go either way, depending on my mood, same with toasted or not.
    The tangy zip really pairs well with the earthiness of the tomato and smokey bacon.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

Yeah that sounds good...also I like a Good Chutney :)

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

king's hawaiian bbq sauces are really good. we use the heck out of the stuff  

https://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20160311/343475

can't get the picture to post

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Grinding up my peppers!!!
  • Options
    Nice! 
    What kind of peppers?  They look pretty brown, do you toast them or smoke them?
    I like to do that after I dry them so that I keep the vibrant red colour.
  • Options