Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    the heavy hitters, Scotch Bonnets and Carolina Reapers
    The Reapers are even meaner than they look.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited August 2017
    For some reason, I feel like *edit I shouldn't fear the reaper.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    rgambs said:
    Nice! 
    What kind of peppers?  They look pretty brown, do you toast them or smoke them?
    I like to do that after I dry them so that I keep the vibrant red colour.
    I have the same dehydrator, lol.

Same peppers as you it looks like.  Caribbean reds(cross breed of a habanero and made it hotter!), tabasco and cayenne.

I make hot sauce with them and dry out the rest, I don't roast them.  My sauce is vinegar based,  I filter the mash and keep pouring the vinegar through the mash.  I haven't figured out how to keep the mash without it molding.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Nice! 

Same peppers as you it looks like.  Caribbean reds(cross breed of a habanero and made it hotter!), tabasco and cayenne.

I make hot sauce with them and dry out the rest, I don't roast them.  My sauce is vinegar based,  I filter the mash and keep pouring the vinegar through the mash.  I haven't figured out how to keep the mash without it molding.
    Close, they aren't Tabasco they are Super Chilis, and Thai(Bird's Eye) rather than Cayenne.  Both are somewhat less fleshy and dry faster with less being lost to mold.
    I make vinegar based sauce too, but only out of season from the peppers I dried.  I haven't had any mold trouble in my sauce, but I don't know if that's because I use dried or because I don't mind a high vinegar content.
    When my peppers are dry they stay pretty red, is it possible you are over drying them?  Or maybe I'm under drying them and have just been lucky not to have rot?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Nice! 

Close, they aren't Tabasco they are Super Chilis, and Thai(Bird's Eye) rather than Cayenne.  Both are somewhat less fleshy and dry faster with less being lost to mold.
    I make vinegar based sauce too, but only out of season from the peppers I dried.  I haven't had any mold trouble in my sauce, but I don't know if that's because I use dried or because I don't mind a high vinegar content.
    When my peppers are dry they stay pretty red, is it possible you are over drying them?  Or maybe I'm under drying them and have just been lucky not to have rot?
    My mash is made with fresh peppers and not dried.  Same goes for the vinegar based sauce.  The dry won't produce mold but fresh will.

I use the dry for chili and my wings amongst other things.

Nice on them peppers.  What I love is the mad scientists grafting and cross breeding them to make something new.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I like this pepper talk. I have a few green bells finally growing. Shit load of jalapeños. Froze a bunch. And now have a few ghost peppers coming in 
  • Options
    The wife is not happy with yours truly today. Have no plans for dinner as I have been pretty hungover after the fight and for some reason didn't have a plan. Ruh roh
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Nice! 

My mash is made with fresh peppers and not dried.  Same goes for the vinegar based sauce.  The dry won't produce mold but fresh will.

I use the dry for chili and my wings amongst other things.

Nice on them peppers.  What I love is the mad scientists grafting and cross breeding them to make something new.
    I think I'm going to become one such mad pepper man.
    Need to do some research, but I'm going to save some Reaper seeds this year.  Too hot to eat anyways.  The only pepper plants in the vicinity is the Scotch Bonnets, if it's a cross that may be interesting.  I don't know if either is a hybrid cross or a strain which will breed true, but I'll be finding out.
    I'd like to ultimately get the intensely fruity and floral Reaper flavor into a substantially milder package.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    I like this pepper talk. I have a few green bells finally growing. Shit load of jalapeños. Froze a bunch. And now have a few ghost peppers coming in 
    Peppers freeze well?  Didn't know that!

I need help with freezing pomegranates.  I want to enjoy Pom all year long.  Has anybody had success in doing so?  I tried 2  "how to" ways from the web and both failed miserably...
  • Options
    Peppers freeze well?  Didn't know that!

I need help with freezing pomegranates.  I want to enjoy Pom all year long.  Has anybody had success in doing so?  I tried 2  "how to" ways from the web and both failed miserably...
    we shall find out. Rgambs talked about how he froze peppers earlier in this thread so I'm giving it a go. Vacuum sealed them before freezing 
  • Options
    Alright, if I can pull this off I'll impress myself. Have hummus left over from last night. Gonna try to whip up some falafel. Only have canned chick peas, so we'll see.

Some rice with turmeric too. 
  • Options
    Sheeeeit. I pulled it off. The falafel was not the right texture, but it was delicious. The bride was very impressed. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Does making falafel get you out of the doghouse?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    They freeze pretty dang well.
    They lose crispness of course, but they retain enough for stir frys and fajita type dishes where you want that tender but firm texture.
    The trick is to lay them out on wax paper and "flash freeze" them so the moisture evaporates away and they don't freeze into a big icicle clump.

Flavor retention is superb, texture loss is minimal with peppers that aren't super fleshy.  Big thick bell peppers can get kinda mushy.

It takes around 8 generations to stabilise a new variety of pepper, so maybe by 2025 the Gumby Pepper will be a thing lol
  • Options
    My version of Hot wings. I bake them rather than fry. 
  • Options
    Yum, that looks really good!
  • Options
    I do wings in the oven too.  I cook them with spices on but dry for about half the time then toss them in the sauce and pop them back in to make sure they have a crisp to them.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Yum, that looks really good!
    TY!  I'm not bragging but I will boast, lol.  When I have introduced my wings to friends they are very, very surprised as to how good they taste.  Great flavor with some heat.

Can we all make a plan to meet up somewhere and cook for each other?  How cool would it be to have a dozen of us all making meals?!?
    Cliffy6745 said:
    I do wings in the oven too.  I cook them with spices on but dry for about half the time then toss them in the sauce and pop them back in to make sure they have a crisp to them.
    I drizzle the sauce on and bake them.  When they are done cooking I broil on low for 9 minutes to crisp them up.  Then i "spin" them with the sauce in a big bowl.

Take a pic of your wings next time you make them!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, man. Will do.  Similar process.  A really good way of cooking them and obviously much healthier. 

• Options
    A dang old gourmet pot luck sounds good!
  • Options
    Anybody ever cook a prime rib?  That is on my bucket list to cook.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    As my cooking skills are nowhere near those in this thread, I can bring edibles (NOT homemade - trust me, you wouldn't want that).
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited August 2017
    I actually cooked one last week when my parents were over for a visit. I made a red wine jus to go with it. Honestly though, for the price it costs I would opt for a really thick cut of strip instead.
    Edit: Reason being is that the nice sear on the outside of a steak with rare to medium rare on the inside is probably the best way to eat beef. At least for me. Especially on a BBQ with real charcoal.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    I actually cooked one last week when my parents were over for a visit. I made a red wine jus to go with it. Honestly though, for the price it costs I would opt for a really thick cut of strip instead.
    Edit: Reason being is that the nice sear on the outside of a steak with rare to medium rare on the inside is probably the best way to eat beef. At least for me. Especially on a BBQ with real charcoal.
    I love tri-tip like that but here in NY they don't make that cut...
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    As my cooking skills are nowhere near those in this thread, I can bring edibles (NOT homemade - trust me, you wouldn't want that).
    You would earn your seat at the table just by bringing some femininity to this sausage fest!

Though who am I kidding, our ladies would surely be at hand.
    I'm quite certain if I were to "step out" my wife would more easily forgive a hardcore flirtation than a serious meal lol
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Went to a food truck festival in Pittsburgh on Saturday.  Tried out a meatball truck, a chicken & waffle truck, and a gyro truck.  I was too full to try anything else, even spacing these out over the day.  All in all about 16-20 trucks were there.

The meatball truck (Miss Meatball) had 5 different flavors of meatballs and you could get them on a sandwich or as "bare balls" as they called it.  I got bare.  Went with the traditional ball (beef) with marinara and fresh shaved mozzarella, an asiago ball (chicken) with a bechamel sauce, and a sweet chili ball (chicken) with a Thai sweet chili sauce that looked like it may have been from a can but still pretty good.  They also had the 'hot ball' (chicken) with hot buffalo sauce and blue cheese, and a sriracha teriyaki ball (also chicken).   $7.50 for a sandwich, 2/$5 bare or 3/$6 bare.
    http://www.missmeatball.com/

The chicken & waffle truck (The Coop) options were: The Rooster (two wings + belgian waffle), The Chick (two tenders & a belgian), The Hen (three tenders & a belgian), The Chick-N-Waffle (belgian waffle w/ tenders baked in), and they had blueberry & apple pie dessert waffles.  You could also get a deep fried egg on your waffle for a buck.  I went with The Chick and got sriracha maple syrup and jalapeno honey to drizzle on top.
    http://www.thecooppgh.com/#

My favorite bite of the day without a doubt was the gyro truck (PGH Halal).  They had lamb & chicken gyros, falafel pita, or you could get any of those as a salad or over rice.  I got the lamb gyro and it was one of the absolute best sandwiches I ever tasted in my life.  Fresh tomato, red onion, cucumber, homemade tzatziki sauce, and I don't know what the lamb was marinated in but holy hell was it good.  It had an assertive top note of peppercorn that mellowed out on the back end.  Only thing I regret is not getting a piece of baklava.
    http://pghhalaltruck.com/index.html
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited August 2017
    Yum! Yes, I cook a prime rib every time I find them super on sale. So delicious! I always do a brown gravy for it too - I think that's nicer than a jus, but to each their own. I keep it nice and simple - a good prime rib with great marbling and a decent fat cap needs absolutely nothing extra done to it IMO (do not trim the roast! I think this may be the most common mistake made - people take off some of that nice thick layer of fat on top of it and ruin the whole damn thing. I've even seen the store itself remove that a couple times - idiots need to go back to butchery school, obviously). I just brush it with oil, and use lots of cracked pepper, and some rock salt on all sides of the roast. Sear it at 475F for 10 minutes, then down to 350 and cook about 17 minutes per pound (if you like it more on the rare side of medium rare, do 15 min @ 325F). Baste it a few times while it's cooking. I have done them in the oven and by indirect grilling on the BBQ. Obviously the grill gives the best flavour, although the temp is harder to regulate so I feel like it's a bit more risky in terms of getting the perfect cook. I am not normally one to use a meat thermometer btw, and I resist it with the prime rib roast too, but still admit that a meat thermometer is the best idea when it comes to this roast, since such a small amount of time can make such a huge difference to the cook, possibly because of the higher fat content. Also, always be sure to place it on a roasting rack in the pan. Never put a roast directly in the pan without a rack (just in case people didn't already know that). Obviously that counts for oven roasting only.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yum! Yes, I cook a prime rib every time I find them super on sale. So delicious! I always do a brown gravy for it too - I think that's nicer than a jus, but to each their own. I keep it nice and simple - a good prime rib with great marbling and a decent fat cap needs absolutely nothing extra done to it IMO (do not trim the roast! I think this may be the most common mistake made - people take off some of that nice thick layer of fat on top of it and ruin the whole damn thing. I've even seen the store itself remove that a couple times - idiots need to go back to butchery school, obviously). I just brush it with oil, and use lots of cracked pepper, and some rock salt on all sides of the roast. Sear it at 475F for 10 minutes, then down to 350 and cook about 17 minutes per pound (if you like it more on the rare side of medium rare, do 15 min @ 325F). Baste it a few times while it's cooking. I have done them in the oven and by indirect grilling on the BBQ. Obviously the grill gives the best flavour, although the temp is harder to regulate so I feel like it's a bit more risky in terms of getting the perfect cook. I am not normally one to use a meat thermometer btw, and I resist it with the prime rib roast too, but still admit that a meat thermometer is the best idea when it comes to this roast, since such a small amount of time can make such a huge difference to the cook, possibly because of the higher fat content. Also, always be sure to place it on a roasting rack in the pan. Never put a roast directly in the pan without a rack (just in case people didn't already know that). Obviously that counts for oven roasting only.
    I've never heard of a prime rib being done on a BBQ!  Wow!

I have read that I would need to get a thermometer if I cooked it and to invite a lot of people over for dinner if I do cook it, lol.

Do you cook it with the ribs on the bottom like a cradle?  I know there are different ways and I'd like to hear from people that actually cooked them.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've never heard of a prime rib being done on a BBQ!  Wow!

I have read that I would need to get a thermometer if I cooked it and to invite a lot of people over for dinner if I do cook it, lol.

Do you cook it with the ribs on the bottom like a cradle?  I know there are different ways and I'd like to hear from people that actually cooked them.
    Always cook it with the bones down, fat up. That is the only way that great fatty cap will be infused into the meat. It's called a standing rib roast for a reason - because you cook it by "standing" it on the bones. :) Those who think there is another way to do it are doing it wrong. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is awesome!  Great stuff.  I have never done this, though it is very intriguing.  Have done beef tenderloin roasts for Christmas but I like the sound of this. Love me some prime rib.  Gonna give this a go one of these days.  Will have to check the butcher to see what they run