Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Woo Hoo!! Finally.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921

Way to go SCOTUS

Absolutely. We have had same-sex marriage here in Massachusetts for more than eleven years now. It has been proven that there are no legitimate arguments against it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    Great news.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    welcome aboard! you are only 10 years behind canada. just joking.

its about time.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    what is sad is that it was a 5-4 vote.

In a dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia blasted the Court's "threat to American democracy."
    so this guy rank gay marriage as a threat to America. how is this guy still on the SCOTUS?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    fife said:

In a dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia blasted the Court's "threat to American democracy."
    so this guy rank gay marriage as a threat to America. how is this guy still on the SCOTUS?

Lifetime appointment
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    fife said:

I was thinking the same thing. Crazy that it passed by such a slim margin. Threat to democracy??? Unbelievable.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    YES YES YES. THIS IS HUGE.

This is why we can never vote for politicians that pander to religious extremists.

First housing protection.

Saved AHC

Now finally equality on marriage.

I have hope for this country.

We are evolving.

YES YES YES.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    :clap:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    fife said:

I haven't read everything, but I would assume he doesn't mean gay marraige is a threat to democracy, but the framework the majority of the SCOTUS used to come to the ruling was.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Excellent!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Really happy with the ruling. Especially happy that the religious nuts got handed a huge loss. I am sick and tired of the religionists using their mythology to determine how the rest of us live. Great news for all of the US. I'm also happy that this court has shown pragmatism. It seems the "conservative" nature of the court is shifting. Even our Chief Justice seems to put legal considerations over politics or religion which is exactly how it should be.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited June 2015
    I'd say that it's likely that any time Scalia is writing a dissent, I'm probably happy...and they are entertaining. He quipped, "Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms? "And if intimacy is, one would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie."

I guess he's just going to have to "get over it."
    Have a great weekend, everyone.
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    I would've thought some of these came from The Onion. This decision didn't go his way so apparently the court isn't qualified to decide anything. Or something like that. A temper tantrum of epic proportions which has been recorded forever in a historic document.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gay-marriage-ruling-7-angriest-805326?utm_source=twitter

On Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a landmark ruling that will provide a nationwide right for same-sex couples to marry. Not everyone was celebrating. Here are some highlights from the curmudgeonly dissent authored by Justice Antonin Scalia, who refers to fortune cookies and hippies to make the point that a small majority of the country's most important court shouldn't be defining liberty for all:

1. "Today’s decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court... A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy."

2. "The Federal Judiciary is hardly a cross-section of America. Take, for example, this Court, which consists of only nine men and women, all of them successful lawyers who studied at Harvard or Yale Law School. Four of the nine are natives of New York City. Eight of them grew up in east- and west-coast States. Only one hails from the vast expanse in-between. Not a single South-westerner or even, to tell the truth, a genuine Westerner (California does not count)."

3. "And to allow the policy question of same-sex marriage to be considered and resolved by a select, patrician, highly unrepresentative panel of nine is to violate a principle even more fundamental than no taxation without representation: no social transformation without representation."

4. "The opinion is couched in a style that is as pretentious as its content is egotistic. It is one thing for separate concurring or dissenting opinions to contain extravagances, even silly extravagances, of thought and expression; it is something else for the official opinion of the Court to do so. Of course the opinion’s showy profundities are often profoundly incoherent."

5. "Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms? And if intimacy is, one would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie."

6. "If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: 'The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,' I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

7. "Hubris is sometimes defined as o’erweening pride; and pride, we know, goeth before a fall... With each decision of ours that takes from the People a question properly left to them...we move one step closer to being reminded of our impotence."

• Options
    The court unknowingly settled the Confederate flag issue today as well.

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    ^^^ love that!

Today is a great day. :smiley:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    edited June 2015

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Religion or supposed morals aside, no one need tell another how to live peacefully or with whom to whatever.

Nice news this morning. Really nice.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I neither agree with those for or against Same Sex Marriage legalization, but I just want it to be known that from now on I request to be referred to as:

KOTUS
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    ...............nevermind.

Godfather.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,802
    So do the laws concerning social security, income tax, health benefits, and inheritance rights ...

Do those laws now ...Hell whats the word I am looking for??? haha

Are those laws now the exact same for married couples of the same sex?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

So do the laws concerning social security, income tax, health benefits, and inheritance rights ...

Yup
  • Options
    This could be entertaining!

"Texas pastor Rick Scarborough made the bold declaration that he would rather burn to death than sanction same-sex marriage"

http://www.hngn.com/articles/103690/20150624/texas-pastor-will-set-himself-fire-protest-over-gay-marriage.htm

Maybe he could put it on pay per view and and generate some port-mortem funding to continue his good work.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797

rights to decide health concerns for hospitalized SPOUSES
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited June 2015
    jeffbr said:

"Texas pastor Rick Scarborough made the bold declaration that he would rather burn to death than sanction same-sex marriage"

http://www.hngn.com/articles/103690/20150624/texas-pastor-will-set-himself-fire-protest-over-gay-marriage.htm

Maybe he could put it on pay per view and and generate some port-mortem funding to continue his good work.

Just part if the disinformation campaign saying churches must marry gays which is not true. Now military chaplains. We'll see.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    :heart:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callen said:

jeffbr said:

Maybe he could put it on pay per view and and generate some post-mortem funding to continue his good work.

Just part if the disinformation campaign saying churches must marry gays which is not true. Now military chaplains. We'll see.
    And now some GOP candidates are jumping in with their hysteria. Predictable guys like Cruz, Santorum, Perry, Jindal and of course Huckabee are frothing at the mouth. Jeb has issued a pretty moderate statement, so he's at least acting like a front runner.
    http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/26/unelected-judges-constitutional-amendmen

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    My newsfeed looked like a glitterbomb went off in it this morning. Very happy to hear the news.
    A bit sad it had to be fought for so hard
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435