Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    callen said:

rollings said:

callen said:

eddiec said:

callen said:

Am torn on Christian photographer being forced to shoot gay marriage. They are in it. Setting up poses, getting couple to smile.

Baking a cake eh. Catering eh. But maybe there is a line?

Thoughts?

Don't you have to hire a photographer?

Don't understand your question.
    I can explain, I think .
    You said about a photographer being "forced".
    the above user thought that photographers were hired, as in not forced .
    Okay got it thanks.

In places where sexual orientation is classified as a protected group one can't deny service due to this reason hence the word force or be sued/fined.

So I would ordinarily have black and white position on not being able to deny service due to religious beliefs but not so sure anymore though impossible to draw the line I guess.
    So just say you're busy that day and don't do it. It's only illegal if you are stupid enough and mean enough to tell someone you won't work for them because of how they were born.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

rollings said:

callen said:

eddiec said:

callen said:

Am torn on Christian photographer being forced to shoot gay marriage. They are in it. Setting up poses, getting couple to smile.

Thoughts?

I can explain, I think .
    Okay got it thanks.

In places where sexual orientation is classified as a protected group one can't deny service due to this reason hence the word force or be sued/fined.

So I would ordinarily have black and white position on not being able to deny service due to religious beliefs but not so sure anymore though impossible to draw the line I guess.
    So just say you're busy that day and don't do it. It's only illegal if you are stupid enough and mean enough to tell someone you won't work for them because of how they were born.
    When I said this to my father in law he replied "why should we have to lie? Christians have values and God's word we have to follow." I tried very hard not I laugh, but I couldn't resist.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

rollings said:

callen said:

eddiec said:

callen said:

Thoughts?

I can explain, I think .
    Okay got it thanks.

That might be one option but you are speaking from the point of view of a person who lives in a big city with lots of options and a general public that is at the least neutral, and in many instances LGBT-friendly. What about the people who live in smaller towns in more conservative areas with fewer options - what do they do when the town's bakeries, photographers and caterers are all mysteriously totally booked up on their wedding day? Ideally the law protects everyone, not just those with plenty of options.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    the supreme court got one right.

in between moving stops last week i had a chance to read some of the dissents. i cringed at scalia's. that man is a menace.

kennedy's opinion was beautifully written. especially the final paragraphs.

congratulations to the lgbt community.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I apologize I haven't read this whole thread - a lot to keep up on too little time - I just read an article titled "Democrats now seeking to ban the words "husband" and "wife" because somehow they are offensive to gay people"

It talks about the forced gay lobbys agenda on the county. That they want gender neutral words like spouse or married couple. The continued push for equality.

Not sure how gender specific words can be found offensive. Even in a same sex marriage you are still gender specific right?

Why strip these words from the law? Why not simply add new words?

Why do straight people have to be stripped or offended in the process?

There are still other government programs that will always refer to them as same sex marriages cuz that's what they are. Because it's new law they have to differentiate.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    FoxyRedLa said:

I apologize I haven't read this whole thread - a lot to keep up on too little time - I just read an article titled "Democrats now seeking to ban the words "husband" and "wife" because somehow they are offensive to gay people"

It talks about the forced gay lobbys agenda on the county. That they want gender neutral words like spouse or married couple. The continued push for equality.

Not sure how gender specific words can be found offensive. Even in a same sex marriage you are still gender specific right?

There are still other government programs that will always refer to them as same sex marriages cuz that's what they are. Because it's new law they have to differentiate.

I highly doubt there is any legitimate effort by Democrats to ban those words. There may be some fringe activists going down that road, but otherwise it sounds like typical far right hyperbole.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358
    FoxyRedLa said:

what law is this?

what I understand is some laws were struck DOWN based on the 14th amendment protections. No New LAW was enacted by the court. that isnt really possible.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Welfare and other federal and state funded programs/laws have to be written to reflect changes in eligibility.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,640
    rgambs said:

FoxyRedLa said:

I highly doubt there is any legitimate effort by Democrats to ban those words. There may be some fringe activists going down that road, but otherwise it sounds like typical far right hyperbole.
    Based on the speed of change we are seeing I don't think there is much that is hyperbole anymore these days. Soon companies are going to be required to have three, four or five different separate bathrooms for every possible gender type out there.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947

rgambs said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Based on the speed of change we are seeing I don't think there is much that is hyperbole anymore these days. Soon companies are going to be required to have three, four or five different separate bathrooms for every possible gender type out there.
    I suppose someone could argue for 58 bathrooms....

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/

... but I'm guessing it is more likely to be one-kind-fits-all bathroms in the future.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

You likely read the article on LibertyNews or Fox News or some other equally inflammatory website, which distorted (surprise!) the actual intent of the bill (H.R.2976) introduced by Rep. Lois Capps in the U.S. Congress House. There is no "ban," and the words husband and wife are not being updated because they are found to be offensive.

capps.house.gov/press-release/capps-introduces-bill-update-entire-federal-code-reflect-marriage-equality

Capps Introduces Bill to Update Entire Federal Code to Reflect Marriage Equality

"In light of the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry and that states have an obligation to perform same-sex marriages, Rep. Lois Capps (CA-24) introduced a bill to ensure that the United States Code reflects the equality of all marriages.

The Amend the Code for Marriage Equality Act of 2015 would strike the use of gendered terms such as “husband” and “wife” from the federal code and replace them with more gender-neutral terms, such as “spouse” or “married couple.”

The Amend the Code for Marriage Equality Act recognizes that the words in our laws have meaning and can continue to reflect prejudice and discrimination even when rendered null by our highest courts,” Capps said. “Our values as a country are reflected in our laws. I authored this bill because it is imperative that our federal code reflect the equality of all marriages.”

The proposed legislation would not only ensure that the code reflects marriage equality, but it could also make several positive changes to the U.S. Code by removing areas of gender discrimination written into federal law. For instance, it is currently illegal to threaten the President’s wife – but not the President’s husband. Capps’ bill would update the code to make it illegal to threaten the President’s spouse. The bill would correct a number of these types of discrepancies in the code.

The bill currently has 23 original cosponsors."

Here is a link to the full text of the bill:
    https://congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2976/text?q={%22search%22%3A[%22The+Amend+the+Code+for+Marriage+Equality+Act+2015%22]}

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2015
    p.

rgambs said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Work for a company that has social organization for LGTB. On companies internal website and we get emails on what they do and when they have meetings and if we want to join. And we have two bathrooms. It's just not a big deal.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    And really husband and wife should be omitted.

I give two craps about "tradition ". No value About the present and future but mostly what's right.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Prince Of DorknessPrince Of Dorkness Posts: 3,763
    edited July 2015
    FoxyRedLa said:

Ugh... no. We do not find the words "husband and wife" to be "offensive." We USE those words, for fuck's sake. What idiot told you that?

What IS happening is that the Senate is moving to change language in some existing laws to reflect the changes. Now instead of "his wife" or "her husband," they are changing some old laws to "their spouse." That's it. That's all. Nobody is trying to "ban" the words "husband" or "wife."

Ugh.
  • Options
    Oh and by the way... YES... I'm now legally married in all 50 states and all the territories and if you don't like it... there ain't a God Damn thing you can do about it.

• Options

Oh and by the way... YES... I'm now legally married in all 50 states and all the territories and if you don't like it... there ain't a God Damn thing you can do about it.

How great that must feel.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Congratulations, now you get to give half of your stuff away when you legally divorce too! :rofl:
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

Congratulations, now you get to give half of your stuff away when you legally divorce too! :rofl:
    hahhahahhahahah ! yea, welcome to the jungle.

Godfather.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    Great to see you here again Prince and congrats on your new status ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

rollings said:

callen said:

eddiec said:

callen said:

Thoughts?

I can explain, I think .
    Okay got it thanks.

That might be one option but you are speaking from the point of view of a person who lives in a big city with lots of options and a general public that is at the least neutral, and in many instances LGBT-friendly. What about the people who live in smaller towns in more conservative areas with fewer options - what do they do when the town's bakeries, photographers and caterers are all mysteriously totally booked up on their wedding day? Ideally the law protects everyone, not just those with plenty of options.
    I'm not saying it's a good option for the business owners or the buyers.

FoxyRedLa said:

Ugh... no. We do not find the words "husband and wife" to be "offensive." We USE those words, for fuck's sake. What idiot told you that?

What IS happening is that the Senate is moving to change language in some existing laws to reflect the changes. Now instead of "his wife" or "her husband," they are changing some old laws to "their spouse." That's it. That's all. Nobody is trying to "ban" the words "husband" or "wife."

Ugh.
    Thank you.
    Nice to see you chime in! It's been a long time!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata