Options

Supreme Court Same Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    If the source is foxnews then yes a good chance it is exactly that.....bullshit.

But if it is indeed true and the Kleins did break an established Oregon law that EVERYONE must abide by, then YES they must pay the fine.

Like a wise man once said....

Don't do the crime if you cant do the time!!
  • Options
    whatever happened to the "right to refuse service to anyone"? isn't that being able to discriminate against people without giving a specific reason? let's go back to that and make it so you can discriminate against anyone for any reason whatsoever. skin color, gender, wealth, geographical location, religious preference whatever, let's make it all legal. this whole attitude of oh dear discrimination is terrible, except when jesus does it, is for the birds. I should be able to say oh you're a Christian? I can't serve you because I believe you're a self righteous hateful hypocrite and it goes against my beliefs to contribute to your prosperity.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

whatever happened to the "right to refuse service to anyone"? isn't that being able to discriminate against people without giving a specific reason? let's go back to that and make it so you can discriminate against anyone for any reason whatsoever. skin color, gender, wealth, geographical location, religious preference whatever, let's make it all legal. this whole attitude of oh dear discrimination is terrible, except when jesus does it, is for the birds. I should be able to say oh you're a Christian? I can't serve you because I believe you're a self righteous hateful hypocrite and it goes against my beliefs to contribute to your prosperity.

I thought those "right to refuse service to anyone" signs were basically just bullshit, no?? I mean, anyone can put up a sign. But it doesn't mean much if the sign goes against an actual law.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    uggh you're right, you're still not allowed to discriminate against people for the usual reasons. aww man.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Kat said:
    I think it will be hilarious when someone posts a link in 6 months siting this store has closed down. Fuckin bigot.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Kat said:
    very interesting points but i think this is still a bit off. what happens if you are gay in a small town and all the stored in that small town put out those signs? I can understand his point of view in a big city that has multiple stores and multiple communities that are open to the lgbt community but sometimes you need the government to step in when you are facing extreme hate.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135

@godfather, you hit the nail on the head when you said "I've always believed and still do", those are YOUR beliefs. the problem comes in when you try to force others to believe what you do. by your own admission you said you would vote against GM, which means you're trying to force your beliefs on others. that's bull shit man. what's ironic is that if a muslim person started saying how the Quran says we should do whatever and this is what Allah wants us to do blah blah blah so we need to all do it......you would be the loudest critic of that(based on my interpretations of your previous posts about muslims and islam and what not). so it really begs the question, why is it ok for you to try and shove your beliefs down my throat, but it's not ok for anyone else? other than the obvious because i'm a Christian and they're muslim.

fife said:

Kat said:
    very interesting points but i think this is still a bit off. what happens if you are gay in a small town and all the stored in that small town put out those signs? I can understand his point of view in a big city that has multiple stores and multiple communities that are open to the lgbt community but sometimes you need the government to step in when you are facing extreme hate.
    Btw how is that store owner going to determine who is gay and who is not? He could choose to say people of color are gay, or people who are Jewish so on and so on. There appears to be no end to where this could go. I do agree with the writer that she preferred that the store owner was obvious in his right to put up the sign instead of being a discreet bigot. Just so that anyone who opposes the sign can take there business elsewhere.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Kat said:
    Unreal. The thing about this is that even if you do translate the Bible to mean that being gay is wrong, I don't think there is anything saying that you can't do business with them. I'm pretty sure it just says that you shouldn't have gay sex (not so clearly as that though). So where in the fuck does this asshole get the idea that gay people should be restricted from any part of life besides his own bed?? It makes no sense. He's just decided in his own head that not having gay sex = hating gays as human beings. And then blames Christianity for his issues. There is so much wrong here.
    But I agree that his sign should be straightforward. If you're determined to be a hateful, nonsensical bigot, own it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358
    service contract businesses should be allowed to refuse entering into a contract for service. Doesn't make sense to me as a smart business model to refuse money, but whatever.

I think some of these folks are opportunists and seeking fame how ever they can get it.
    Soem of the gay folks are akin to economic terrorists, no better than those who seek to keep them 2nd class. Seems to me you would just choose to give your money to someone willing to accept it. This also creates a good marketing tool.

on the above referenced case I am curious how this couple found this particular bakery in the first place? Why did they choose to seek service there? what was the draw??
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    edited July 2015
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Why no commentary from you on this article?
    You're on the train.
    Random links posted with no comments gets things stirred.
    What do you think about this article you posted Kat?
  • Options

Kat said:
    Why no commentary from you on this article?
    You're on the train.
    Random links posted with no comments gets things stirred.
    What do you think about this article you posted Kat?
    perhaps the writer of the article provided the commentary Kat agreed with? really I think that was the point, OWN IT. Lets all know where each other stand. that way informed consumers can decide accordingly.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639
    edited July 2015

I don't think marriage has any relevancy anyways. This whole situation is about recognizing the rights of individuals.

I am not married to my partner. I call my partner 'wife' only because it most easily expresses her relationship to me when I refer to her to other people. We have been faithfully together for 20 years and have two children- ages 17 and 14. We got a really cool cat too. Our household is as happy as can be- no ancient ritual could possibly help make it better.

Why aren't we married? We are not married because marriage, like many things, is a farce- it's a relic from the past when we were very simple and thought that such events were critical. Words uttered by some priest do not solidify or make a relationship- divorce rates prove that. We talked about doing it, but ultimately, we never felt the need to take money out of our line of credit and throw a big, plastic ceremony to show everyone we are committed to each other.

I remember many people urging us to do as they did and formally get married (implying our relationship wasn't valid maybe?). Many... in fact... most of these people have since divorced.

Are there any legal benefits you miss out on not being married up in Canada?
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

I don't think marriage has any relevancy anyways. This whole situation is about recognizing the rights of individuals.

I am not married to my partner. I call my partner 'wife' only because it most easily expresses her relationship to me when I refer to her to other people. We have been faithfully together for 20 years and have two children- ages 17 and 14. We got a really cool cat too. Our household is as happy as can be- no ancient ritual could possibly help make it better.

Why aren't we married? We are not married because marriage, like many things, is a farce- it's a relic from the past when we were very simple and thought that such events were critical. Words uttered by some priest do not solidify or make a relationship- divorce rates prove that. We talked about doing it, but ultimately, we never felt the need to take money out of our line of credit and throw a big, plastic ceremony to show everyone we are committed to each other.

I remember many people urging us to do as they did and formally get married (implying our relationship wasn't valid maybe?). Many... in fact... most of these people have since divorced.

This varies provincially, but yes, in some provinces there are differences in how property is divided if the couple splits up. There are also implications upon the death of one's partner as CL spouses aren't necessarily entitled to the estate in the same way that legally married spouses are.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

This varies provincially, but yes, in some provinces there are differences in how property is divided if the couple splits up. There are also implications upon the death of one's partner as CL spouses aren't necessarily entitled to the estate in the same way that legally married spouses are.
    Without a legal will, there can be problems. Common law is essentially the same as married though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Without a legal will, there can be problems. Common law is essentially the same as married though.
    As I said, it depends on the province. This is not the case in Ontario, for instance, but it is essentially the same in BC.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited July 2015

It does impact child custody issues too (in BC at least). If you share children, it's actually the best idea to get married for this reason, rather than be common law. If you get a divorce, not getting married could end up biting you in the ass when it comes to the fine details of custody (this is more the case for men most of the time, as is usually the case in custody battles, unfortunately). I personally think those unmarried couples with young children together or who plan on having some should just get to city hall and get it on paper at least just for this reason, if They're not interested in marriage otherwise. Just as a bit if protection. Not romantic I know, lol. But no one in love thinks they'll have a bitter breakup and a custody battle someday... that doesn't mean it won't happen.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It does impact child custody issues too (in BC at least). If you share children, it's actually the best idea to get married for this reason, rather than be common law. If you get a divorce, not getting married could end up biting you in the ass when it comes to the fine details of custody (this is more the case for men most of the time, as is usually the case in custody battles, unfortunately). I personally think those unmarried couples with young children together or who plan on having some should just get to city hall and get it on paper at least just for this reason, if They're not interested in marriage otherwise. Just as a bit if protection. Not romantic I know, lol. But no one in love thinks they'll have a bitter breakup and a custody battle someday... that doesn't mean it won't happen.
    PJ_Soul, what are the rights for unmarried couples in Canada regarding health decisions for the other partner? For example, if one partner has a catastrophic injury or serious illness and medical decisions must be made for the injured/ill person. Does one partner have the right to make medical decisions on behalf of the other partner if they are not legally married?

I'm curious because many years ago in California, a friend of mine was completely excluded from any medical decisions when her partner of 16 years was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Her partner's medical condition worsened very quickly to the point where she was no longer legally able to consent to treatments. In the eyes of the law, the partner's mother was next-of-kin and she made all medical decisions, even though she never approved of the relationship and was basically absent from their lives for those 16 years. The mother was also able to dictate who could visit the hospital and later hospice room and who could not.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    The court issued an order on Monday that essentially prohibits probate judges in the state from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples for 25 days.

This has effectively stalled the Supreme Court’s gay marriage ruling in Alabama, while providing time for interested parties to file motions and petitions contesting the ruling.

“Basically it states that in the court’s judgment, it (the U.S. Supreme Court ruling Friday) is tabled effective until after the hearing (before the Alabama Supreme Court),” Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore said. “It’s not in effect until after this hearing in this 25 day period.”

Godfather.

• Options
    Hiw do you contest a federal supreme court ruling? Perhaps they are trying to get in some caveats?
    But since when can a government employee apply their own religious morals to what they do? There is still separation of church and state in the US, right?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    PJ_Soul said:

Hiw do you contest a federal supreme court ruling? Perhaps they are trying to get in some caveats?
    But since when can a government employee apply their own religious morals to what they do? There is still separation of church and state in the US, right?

Yes in theory there is supposed to be separation of church and state. But apparently judge roy moore's alabama is not part of the United States and does not have to do what the SCOTUS says it should do.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Crazy..... Sometimes I don't understand America. Gay marriage was virtually non-controversial when it became legal in Canada. Sure, a few of the most conservative politicians said they were disappointed, but that's about it. Life went on as usual from day one. If any of them and started shooting off like so many are in thebStates theybwoukd have been driven outnof office almost immediately. No offense, but I am surprised that Americans have allowed their country to support so any wackos in government. Is it apathy? People just sit sit back and let mental cases run things, and the majority whom doesn't agree simply don't vote? If so, why?? Or does America just have so many wackos that all these mental cases in office really reflect the population proportionately?
    Either way, do any of you think there will.come a time when Americans actually start doing something about this problem in government? How bad does it have to get? Now they are saying that supreme court rulings should be ignored because they're exercising tyranny, whihc i see as a dorect threat against your Constitution and justice system.... isn't everyone extremely concerned about that? Isn't that the point where people should be marching in the streets and shit in protest against their leaders? Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Crazy..... Sometimes I don't understand America. Gay marriage was virtually non-controversial when it became legal in Canada. Sure, a few of the most conservative politicians said they were disappointed, but that's about it. Life went on as usual from day one. If any of them and started shooting off like so many are in thebStates theybwoukd have been driven outnof office almost immediately. No offense, but I am surprised that Americans have allowed their country to support so any wackos in government. Is it apathy? People just sit sit back and let mental cases run things, and the majority whom doesn't agree simply don't vote? If so, why?? Or does America just have so many wackos that all these mental cases in office really reflect the population proportionately?
    Either way, do any of you think there will.come a time when Americans actually start doing something about this problem in government? How bad does it have to get? Now they are saying that supreme court rulings should be ignored because they're exercising tyranny, whihc i see as a dorect threat against your Constitution and justice system.... isn't everyone extremely concerned about that? Isn't that the point where people should be marching in the streets and shit in protest against their leaders? Or am I missing something?

More and more are coming around. Actually, this is all a good lesson in civics. What is occuring with these delays is a part of the due process we are built upon.

As for the rhetoric, its all about pandering to the "faithful" , not that that will do much for them in the end.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

Yep we do. Religious nutjobs mostly. There is also a culture of rebellion that has always existed in America. It is part of the reason we have been able to be so dominate, but it has an ugly side which we are seeing lately with racism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    the wheels on the bus go round and round............just because a group does not want or agree with G/M does not mean they're nutjobs, God and Country afford us the opertunity to think for ourselfs...too many people take this country and it's freedoms for granted and have no understanding of that, all they see is what they want to see.
    wacko's, hillbillys, fat wives, nutjobs,...which one do you fall under ? because..trust me somewhere to somebody you may fall under one of these "sterotypes", for a forum that claims to be "peacefull and loving" some of you extend a lot of hate to people that don't look like you or think like you, think about that nexy time you use the words biggot or racist.

Godfather.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

the wheels on the bus go round and round............just because a group does not want or agree with G/M does not mean they're nutjobs, God and Country afford us the opertunity to think for ourselfs...too many people take this country and it's freedoms for granted and have no understanding of that, all they see is what they want to see.
    wacko's, hillbillys, fat wives, nutjobs,...which one do you fall under ? because..trust me somewhere to somebody you may fall under one of these "sterotypes", for a forum that claims to be "peacefull and loving" some of you extend a lot of hate to people that don't look like you or think like you, think about that nexy time you use the words biggot or racist.

Godfather.

Sounds nice but it's empty. When you seek to limit the civil rights of an entire group of people because of a fairytale you read in a book, you ARE a nutjob bigot.
    All the arguments you put forward were used in the 1850's, and the 1950's and sixties to defend racial discrimination.
    They were just thinking for themselves as well, they were just people who had their own opinions in a free country.
    Well guess what, some opinions are wrong. Just because it's an opinion doesn't make it ok.

If you want to address my Wal-Mart story, which seems to have bothered you in , entirely predictable way, please do so in the Confederate flag thread.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2015
    God/Mother Nature creates humans that are sexually attracted to their same gender. The way humans, and other species develop, there will be mutations creating humans with different wiring. Same as birth defects, naturally occurring. Gonna happen with billions of births. So how can we punish humans for how they were created?

Have been informed from my Christian friends that homosexuals are okay but they shouldn't act on their sexual urges.
    Fk that has to suck and is downright cruel.

Treat others as you want to be treated. That should trump any other Rules.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited July 2015
    callen said:

eddiec said:

callen said:

Am torn on Christian photographer being forced to shoot gay marriage. They are in it. Setting up poses, getting couple to smile.

Baking a cake eh. Catering eh. But maybe there is a line?

Thoughts?

Don't you have to hire a photographer?

Don't understand your question.
    I can explain, I think .
    You said about a photographer being "forced".
    the above user thought that photographers were hired, as in not forced .
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rollings said:

callen said:

eddiec said:

callen said:

Am torn on Christian photographer being forced to shoot gay marriage. They are in it. Setting up poses, getting couple to smile.

Baking a cake eh. Catering eh. But maybe there is a line?

Thoughts?

Don't you have to hire a photographer?

Don't understand your question.
    I can explain, I think .
    You said about a photographer being "forced".
    the above user thought that photographers were hired, as in not forced .
    Okay got it thanks.

In places where sexual orientation is classified as a protected group one can't deny service due to this reason hence the word force or be sued/fined.

So I would ordinarily have black and white position on not being able to deny service due to religious beliefs but not so sure anymore though impossible to draw the line I guess.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG