Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Do you have a trusted pt from past injury?
    I'd go to mg PT and stretch with him, let him know what I feel,let him check it out and advise.
    (It helps that he is very pro-working it out vs. The shut down approach....)

I would not have done the sprints, probably a good sign that this didn't hurt

I'd stretch like crazy a number of times, daily, at a minimum.
    Good luck!
    The main reason I finished my run is I was probably 40 minutes away from my car, so I didn't have alot of choice. The fact it didn't aggravate it I took as a good sign.
    Makes sense, good luck, fingers crossed 🤞 for you!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Do you people run several days in a row, or do you always rest for full days?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Do you people run several days in a row, or do you always rest for full days?
    I run three days a week. But I am not training for anything, nor am I as hardcore as some of the others on here. They are amazing with what they do.

• Do you people run several days in a row, or do you always rest for full days?
    I normally run every day other than Monday.

This week I'm managing my inner thigh tightness so I took yesterday off, ran today, will probably take tomorrow off.

Trying to manage this through my race on Nov 6th. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I'm currently running 5 days a week, 1 day cross training, 1 day off.

My knees both are hurting.  Once I'm past the Half Marathon in about a month I'm going to go to every other day again.   
  • I'm currently running 5 days a week, 1 day cross training, 1 day off.

My knees both are hurting.  Once I'm past the Half Marathon in about a month I'm going to go to every other day again.   
    That stinks that both your knees hurt. Fortunately my leg is no worse today after my run. It was a work day, not an easy run, and my leg didn't bother me much. 

I figure post race I'll need to let it rest for a week or 2 to recover. 
    I'm currently running 5 days a week, 1 day cross training, 1 day off.

That stinks that both your knees hurt. Fortunately my leg is no worse today after my run. It was a work day, not an easy run, and my leg didn't bother me much. 

Great news!
    My knees are fucked.  Doc told me to stop running a little over a year ago, after the 50K.  I know the rules....just need to keep running.  :)
    They don't hurt enough to make a difference,  now.  A little pain makes things more satisfying.  :lol:  

• I'm currently running 5 days a week, 1 day cross training, 1 day off.

Great news!
    My knees are fucked.  Doc told me to stop running a little over a year ago, after the 50K.  I know the rules....just need to keep running.  :)
    They don't hurt enough to make a difference,  now.  A little pain makes things more satisfying.  :lol:  

I had a Dr tell me last year to give up running after my 2nd pelvic stress fracture in just over a year. He was kind of an ass, didn't want to take the time to figure out why I was getting the stress fractures, just told me I'm not making a living at running, so why keep at it. 

Ultimately another dr diagnosed me with osteoporosis (as a 44 year old male, pretty uncommon). Been on a daily shot for it since. 

I do need to work on my balance and core strength,  I know what would help with some of my minor injuries that come up. Will focus on that after my race. 
    Work it!
  • I have such a hard time taking days off. I keep trying to convince myself to go run since my leg doesn't feel that bad. Then I remind myself if I overdue it I'll have to skip my race again this year. 
    Maybe work yourself some other way
      Swimming, hiking...playing a sport.  I love my slide board, but I can go only about 20 minutes before my back forces me to do other stuff.  Try to do strength training.
    Today is my off day and I have soccer practice (I'm coach, they are kids, but I still run around quite a bit with them) and then I am likely to do some slide board and exercises.

If you are close to your race you will want to taper anyway, right?
    Also, I have a 5 mile pace tomorrow and a long run on Saturday.   Always need to try and listen to your body and take rest when needed.
  • Maybe work yourself some other way
      Swimming, hiking...playing a sport.  I love my slide board, but I can go only about 20 minutes before my back forces me to do other stuff.  Try to do strength training.
    Today is my off day and I have soccer practice (I'm coach, they are kids, but I still run around quite a bit with them) and then I am likely to do some slide board and exercises.

Yeah, taper is coming up. This is the last full week, next week is starting the taper.  

I'll work in some stretching today and walk my dogs. Should probably do some of my core exercises as well (as much as I hate them). 

Just need to be patient and smart about things right now.
  • Also, I have a 5 mile pace tomorrow and a long run on Saturday.   Always need to try and listen to your body and take rest when needed.
    Agreed. Trying to remind myself of that.

I have a 1:15 supra-threshold run tomorrow then my long run on Sunday of 2:10, with two 20 minute half marathon pace segments.

The days I'm skipping right now are my 50 minute easy runs which are 3 days a week. 

Yeah, taper is coming up. This is the last full week, next week is starting the taper.  

I'll work in some stretching today and walk my dogs. Should probably do some of my core exercises as well (as much as I hate them). 

Yeah. It’s good to mix it up. Besides running I also take weekly yoga and pilates classes. I think that also helps with the running in terms of my posture and core strength. 

Good luck with the run. Keep us posted. 
  • I was focused on buying a pair of shorts that had a zipper for the pocket (for my phone). Bought a pair. Turns out the ”mesh pocket” is really elastic and my phone starts dingling underneath the shorts in the pocket when I tried them. 

Yuck. I guess I should have really asked for ”runner dedicated shorts”
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I was focused on buying a pair of shorts that had a zipper for the pocket (for my phone). Bought a pair. Turns out the ”mesh pocket” is really elastic and my phone starts dingling underneath the shorts in the pocket when I tried them. 

I use a running belt to avoid this. I have a flip belt and love it.
  • GlowGirl said:

Yeah. It’s good to mix it up. Besides running I also take weekly yoga and pilates classes. I think that also helps with the running in terms of my posture and core strength. 

Good luck with the run. Keep us posted. 
    My run today went well. No sign of the inner thigh strain. Will probably still rest tomorrow ahead of my long run. Assuming that goes well will run the last 2 weeks as planned without skipping any runs. 
    I was focused on buying a pair of shorts that had a zipper for the pocket (for my phone). Bought a pair. Turns out the ”mesh pocket” is really elastic and my phone starts dingling underneath the shorts in the pocket when I tried them. 

I use a running belt. It holds my phone, keys, and even has a loop to hold a small flexible water bottle - which I end up holding in my hands. The running belt is definitely a worthwhile purchase. 
    Arm band, for me on normal runs.  Holds the phone.  Have zip pockets for ID / key in shorts.  I can't stand the phone bouncing around.  On long runs I have the vest on so there is room to carry whatever is needed

• NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    edited October 2022
    Here is the belt I use

https://a.co/d/bPU6nwt

You can also get a water bottle that fits inside. It has a key hook so you can secure your keys. It holds small or large phones securely. 
  • Arm band, for me on normal runs.  Holds the phone.  Have zip pockets for ID / key in shorts.  I can't stand the phone bouncing around.  On long runs I have the vest on so there is room to carry whatever is needed

My boss ”playfully” picks on my collegue for her arm band. 

”do you know how future generations will look back and see all these pictures of people with a gigantic phone attaches to their arm”. 

Hehe. Will look into an arm- or waistband. Or a pair of shorts with better pockets. 
    I feel that way about belts
    My arm band is hardly visible.  Phone is about the size of my arm and the band is all black, which blends into whatever shirt I have one, which is almost always black or blue.  (If I have a short sleeve shirt, I hike the band up high and you barely see it

Some people do use gigantic ones.  
    I use this one

• 16 miles today, no issues. Look to be in the clear for my race in 2 weeks. 

How was everyone's runs this weekend?
    10 yesterday and felt good.  Faster than intended, but fuck, it was cold out to start.  35 and windy.
    Ran a pace 5 mile run Friday AM so it felt good to stretch it out, some.

Glad your injury scare is done.
    Glad everyone is doing well with their running. I took a week off. I had to do some traveling and just got a bit lazy. But it is nice to take time off here and there. I am back at it on Monday. You all are very  motivating.
  • I THINK I HAVE SOLVED A PAIR OF BETTER SHORTS. 

Not expensive either. Will run tomorrow. 
  • The mood when running in shorts and tights:

• I THINK I HAVE SOLVED A PAIR OF BETTER SHORTS. 

Not expensive either. Will run tomorrow. 
    What shorts did you get?