Options

COVID and band members

Will shows still go on if a band member has Covid? Obviously if it is Eddie they can’t but what about someone like Matt or mike, etc? 

Comments

• Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 925
    seriously? getting old
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    You think they can replace Mike or Matt on short notice, huh? 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,418
    edocon said:
    Josh could probably step in for Mike
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Power trio. Mike, Jeff and Matt. I would actually love to hear that.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
     Just want Mike
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,742
    To be brief…no. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,233
    Most of the Phoenix setlist didn’t have Boom or Josh playing so those guys could probably miss.  The original 5 are another story.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    igotid88 said:
    edocon said:
    No, he could not. 100% no.

There is no Pearl Jam without Mike McCready's guitar. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,872
    JimmyV said:
    igotid88 said:
    edocon said:

Pretty sure "Earthling" proved this. I love the album, but it's not Pearl Jam.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,049
    i think mike had covid so hopefully he's clear for a few months with immunity
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Dave, don’t get all scientific with natural immunity talk… he might need like a booster shot before each show??? 🤪
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,795
    Did not now that

Knew about Eddie and Josh
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,968
    edited May 2022
    igotid88 said:
    edocon said:
    Josh 
    If its a last minute thing, this is exactly whats gonna happen. We know Josh is a multi instrumentalist, he can hold it down for a show or 2. Ed is the only one he wouldn't step in for, but we know Ed had it before the Earthlings tour. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I know everyone has a set idea of what PJ is, but thats more a you issue than anything. PJ would go on without Matt, Jeff, Mike or Stone when you have Josh in your pocket, if its a day of thing. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 528
    edited May 2022
    I know Josh plays some Gigaton parts, but maybe there’s another reason he’s touring/playing with them…..

Big money for a cancelled show. 
    Post edited by DM282158 on
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    Is it better to have your show postponed or have your show played without the full band? Tough call. I might answer one way for a local show and another way for a show I traveled to. 

One thing though...it is not Eddie and the Pearl Jams. The guys with him on stage are not interchangeable. 

• Options
    elcazador83elcazador83 Posts: 90
    Dave Matthews last year played without his band for a few shows at Red Rocks. Did solo acoustic stuff. Had some other friends step in. I can see PJ pulling it off.
  • Options
    I know you feel that way, but a time may come where that could very well be the case. Best to not hold onto that so tight. 
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    If someone in the band tests positive, shows over. Even if there’s positives in the crew it probably won’t happen.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    Dave Matthews last year played without his band for a few shows at Red Rocks. Did solo acoustic stuff. Had some other friends step in. I can see PJ pulling it off.
    It was the gorge. A bit different as you already had people camping for 3 days. They really didn’t have a choice.

that said the shows were pretty cool and unique after losing their rhythm section 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 494
    i doubt they'd play without one member. they've only done it once if i recall..2002 they played without Stone but i can't remember why. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    It was the gorge. A bit different as you already had people camping for 3 days. They really didn’t have a choice.

that said the shows were pretty cool and unique after losing their rhythm section 
    They made the best of a tough situation. 

• Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,058
    edited May 2022
    Would you be more disappointed if you traveled to a show (flights/hotel, etc) and they canceled, or if you showed up and instead they had someone like Duff McKagan and Jack White playing with them, and it was mainly a cover band show for 2.5 hours? I would prefer the show to go on if I already took the trip. Otherwise, I'll be selling the tickets for the makeup show and not have seen anything at all. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,048
    edited May 2022
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    igotid88 said:
    edocon said:

Pretty sure "Earthling" proved that a concert can be had and played through without Mike McCready. 98% of the crowd wouldn't know the difference when exiting. 

If they had to go through with a show. 

Matt Camerons drumtech could step in. Like Peter Criss drumtech did for Criss in 97:

https://youtu.be/JWUP3qHSgnQ

But I can not see them doing anything but cancel.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,612
    DM282158 said:
    I know Josh plays some Gigaton parts, but maybe there’s another reason he’s touring/playing with them…..

Big money for a cancelled show. 
    Josh was going to be do this on the original Gigaton tour, before Covid shut it down, so I don't think that has anything to do with him being a part of it. With that said, I honestly believe Josh could step in to any of the instrument roles, and they could put on a concert. I am not sure they would do that, but it seems to be they definitely could based on his playing and what has been said in interviews.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    igotid88 said:
    edocon said:

Pretty sure "Earthling" proved that a concert can be had and played through without Mike McCready. 98% of the crowd wouldn't know the difference when exiting. 

Matt Camerons drumtech could step in. Like Peter Criss drumtech did for Criss in 97:

The Earthling tour that many of us skipped, that had $25 tickets in Chicago and 100 giveaways in Los Angeles? I don't think Earthling proved what you think it proved. 

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    igotid88 said:
    edocon said:

The Earthling tour that many of us skipped, that had $25 tickets in Chicago and 100 giveaways in Los Angeles? I don't think Earthling proved what you think it proved. 
    That was weird.

if Ed decided to read a book out loud for two hours in a small venue close to me I would probably go.  

Why this happened for the Earthling tour I can’t understand 
  • Options
    Agreed, can't understand why people would be wishy washy about attending an indoor concert immediately on the heels of another surge, of which several band members fell ill during.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    This is a perfect thread to dovetail with the "play the hits" thread.

I know this doesn't need to be said, but the band is bigger than just the hardcores. People do show up for the hits. People won't care if a member has to miss a show that isn't ed. WE know its not the Eddie Vedder show, but to most people, he is the face of the band. I think we get lost in the minutiae of the band, its music and the details around all of that. Most people who go to see PJ don't care. 

• Options
    Its gonna be OK if the band does have to perform without Matt, Mike Stone or Jeff. 

Its gonna be OK if you have to hear Even Flow again with only 24 other songs.