Options

COVID and band members

Comments

• Options
    SpokenJeremySpokenJeremy Posts: 604
    Anyone know if the merch stand in sac is stll open?
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    all they did was set up the tent and tear down the tent.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 580
    We have three band members sick folks. 

It’s unreasonable to assume they are just sitting around with a cough. Performing is hard work and takes 100%. I know I can’t do desk work when I don’t feel well, I can’t imagine getting up and performing. Ed I’m sure was not having a fun time on Monday. To think he’s recovered 100% in two days at his age would be unreasonable. 

They tried their best to stick it out. 2 out of 5 well members is not good numbers to move forward. 

Edit: anyone in for a Stone and Mike power show? 😁
    No way they are fully recovered to put on a show. It took me almost a full week to have energy to get up and down our stairs, and that's fully vaxxed/boosted at 44 years old AND that cough is real. Still lingers 2 weeks post COVID diagnosis. 
    Everyone is different. I tested positive and never would have known as I was asymptomatic.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,396
    Never opened... that's what sucks
  • Options
    Yep. Maybe 5th in line for a long wait of nothing. Along with those around me. Sucks
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    This fucking sucks. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,500
    That must have been brutal to watch. 
  • Options
    SpokenJeremySpokenJeremy Posts: 604
    I really wanted the t shirt even if cancelled. 
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    That must have been brutal to watch. 
    There was a dude walking around saying it was cancelled for like 20 minutes before merch was set to open saying box office told him and we thought he was kidding… he wasn’t kidding 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    RocketninoRocketnino SLO, CA Posts: 42

I’m surprised they’re cancelling over this. Nothing against you low-end lovers, but I feel like the show could go on without the bassist. It would be somewhat lacking. But I’d rather a show with no bass than no show at all. Tough luck for the band and fans that had tickets. 
    Josh only has two arms - can't do drums and bass.  ;)

• Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    Yep. Maybe 5th in line for a long wait of nothing. Along with those around me. Sucks
             really, clearly sucks
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 695
    Get_Right said:
    Sorry for Jeff, Matt and all the people that traveled for these shows.  Get well soon.  Sucks to get COVID after 2+ years of playing it smart and being vaxxed.  It just ran through our house about three weeks ago and it was not fun. Took a full 10 days for us to feel 100% and we around the same age. 
    Same here. Played it really safe overall.  Recently I had been on multiple trips over the past few months. Used mass transit, went to some big sporting events. Felt back to normal. Got back home and went out to dinner a week later and got it. Its pretty frustrating. Knocked me out for about a week, and I'm still feeling the effects weeks later. 

Vegas was going to be my celebration of being in the clear! Stay safe out there. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Weird Al also said today that he has covid. I just saw him live on Saturday. He said he’ll make up the dates ASAP though. 

I’m surprised they’re cancelling over this. Nothing against you low-end lovers, but I feel like the show could go on without the bassist. It would be somewhat lacking. But I’d rather a show with no bass than no show at all. Tough luck for the band and fans that had tickets. 
    as a bass player and appreciator of Jeff's contributions, I find this to be a very odd comment. This isn't the white stripes (and I love me some bassless bands). The bass has a huge part in this band. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right said:
    Sorry for Jeff, Matt and all the people that traveled for these shows.  Get well soon.  Sucks to get COVID after 2+ years of playing it smart and being vaxxed.  It just ran through our house about three weeks ago and it was not fun. Took a full 10 days for us to feel 100% and we around the same age. 
    Same here. Played it really safe overall.  Recently I had been on multiple trips over the past few months. Used mass transit, went to some big sporting events. Felt back to normal. Got back home and went out to dinner a week later and got it. Its pretty frustrating. Knocked me out for about a week, and I'm still feeling the effects weeks later. 

Vegas was going to be my celebration of being in the clear! Stay safe out there. 

Feel better!  I went to SHN, Ohana, the US Grand Prix in Austin, and three nights of MMJ in Chicago and did not catch it.  One soccer carpool and all four of us got it.  Indeed stay safe, it is still here, perhaps more contagious than ever with the rules being relaxed.  It is surging in our schools, and it is not fun!  
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Weird Al also said today that he has covid. I just saw him live on Saturday. He said he’ll make up the dates ASAP though. 

as a bass player and appreciator of Jeff's contributions, I find this to be a very odd comment. This isn't the white stripes (and I love me some bassless bands). The bass has a huge part in this band. 
    Yup. He doesn't just play the root notes.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,500

+1
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 695
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Feel better!  I went to SHN, Ohana, the US Grand Prix in Austin, and three nights of MMJ in Chicago and did not catch it.  One soccer carpool and all four of us got it.  Indeed stay safe, it is still here, perhaps more contagious than ever with the rules being relaxed.  It is surging in our schools, and it is not fun!  
    Right? At least I could have got it doing something big!! My aunt and uncle haven't left their condo in 2 1/2 years. Only to get groceries. They got it recently. It just sucks. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729

What’s odd about it? I said the show would be lacking without a bassist. But it’s not like the show can’t go on. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    EMC77EMC77 Almería, Spain Posts: 129
    edited May 2022
    how many more members can you do without and still call it Pearl Jam?

And I don't think Jeff is "only" the bassist in PJ. People saying he can be replaced but you do that and then no upright bass, 12 strings or fretless, you miss a lot if he's not there

That said, I undestand the frustation of  those who were going to Sacramento and Vegas
    Post edited by EMC77 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,045
    I imagine it has more to do with two members being gone than the bass as a specific instrument. 
    I'm sure they know bassplayers and I bet Jeffs bass tech would know many of the parts.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

What’s odd about it? I said the show would be lacking without a bassist. But it’s not like the show can’t go on. 
    lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I imagine it has more to do with two members being gone than the bass as a specific instrument. 
    I'm sure they know bassplayers and I bet Jeffs bass tech would know many of the parts.
    This is a good point. If they could play shows without Matt, it wouldn’t be an issue to get a bassist to fill in for Jeff. So maybe it actually is just a matter of “how many band members can we be down and still be Pearl Jam?”
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,312

What they're not telling us is that the planned set for tonight was going to consist of "Sweet Lew" played 24 times.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,742
    We have three band members sick folks. 

It’s unreasonable to assume they are just sitting around with a cough. Performing is hard work and takes 100%. I know I can’t do desk work when I don’t feel well, I can’t imagine getting up and performing. Ed I’m sure was not having a fun time on Monday. To think he’s recovered 100% in two days at his age would be unreasonable. 

They tried their best to stick it out. 2 out of 5 well members is not good numbers to move forward. 

Edit: anyone in for a Stone and Mike power show? 😁
    No way they are fully recovered to put on a show. It took me almost a full week to have energy to get up and down our stairs, and that's fully vaxxed/boosted at 44 years old AND that cough is real. Still lingers 2 weeks post COVID diagnosis. 
    I tested positive May 10th after the LA shows and I’m still not better yet. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,185

Enjoy Jeremy without the bass line. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,204
    Had just checked into Sac hotel after a four hour flight when I saw the tweet. Oof. Still heading to Vegas tomorrow, too late to cancel hotels and change flights at this point. Still gonna make a fun vacation of it but disappointing for sure 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,045
    SHZA said:
    Had just checked into Sac hotel after a four hour flight when I saw the tweet. Oof. Still heading to Vegas tomorrow, too late to cancel hotels and change flights at this point. Still gonna make a fun vacation of it but disappointing for sure 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    aliciavaliciav Posts: 48

This. 🥰
  • Options

Enjoy Jeremy without the bass line. 
    Maybe leave that one off the setlist for this hypothetical no-bass show. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,341
    aliciav said:

This. 🥰
    He's quickly become an indispensable member of the band in the Covid era. Using a baseball analogy, he is the band's utility player.