• Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 344
    PJNB said:
    Jed said:
    igotid88 said:
    PJNB said:
    igotid88 said:
    strilo said:
    I also teared up at that video. Does anyone have the story on who Josh A is and how this happened? What an amazing experience!
    Matt has covid
    I saw someone on social media say Jeff A picked him out of the crowd since he had a shirt with all of the PJ drummers names on it and he could actually play. 
    Eddie asked the audience if anyone knew how to play. He brought up The Who when Keith passed out. Then the cameras pointed to the guy in the crowd
    If you want to see how Josh A ended up playing Y. Ledbetter with the band... here is a video of what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9W-rIyAu0
    Awesome thanks. What a moment looks like Mike spotted him
    Yeah I was on Mikes side relatively close to the guy, pretty sure Mike spotted him. What a damn treasure Mike is, always interacting with fans the whole show 
    He is very personable. A couple guys I know saw him after a concert in Toledo (  They started yelling how they were from Maine and drove all the way there to see them play. He waived them past security and had an actual conversation with them. How he liked the state of Maine and so on. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,965
    I'm sure they could have played on, move Josh to bass and whatnot, but these dudes, while professional still have to lean the songs so they don't sound like some crappy cover band winging it. Between the learning curve and the material they could learn in that short of time, it was easier to just cancel. Sucks, but it is what it is. 

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    It's very possible that some of the crew have it too. That may have played into the decision to cancel as well.
  • Options
    mtrovato328mtrovato328 Posts: 18
    Interested to know how the guys got it. I know it was mentioned that they were in a “bubble”. Wonder how strict the bubble was? Also, could they have gotten it from playing on stage from someone in the audience?
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,396
    I really wanted the t shirt even if cancelled. 
    Me too! It's the best of the California shirts.. unless your a Rams fan
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,232
    Interested to know how the guys got it. I know it was mentioned that they were in a “bubble”. Wonder how strict the bubble was? Also, could they have gotten it from playing on stage from someone in the audience?
    There was no bubble around the stage.  Airborne virus.  No brainer.  Hope the cases are mild.  Health first.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,313
    Yes, hundreds of people close to the stage singing at the top of their lungs, nearly all of whom were not wearing masks, projecting the contents of said lungs in the general direction of the unmasked performers-- infections are not surprising.

I went to a show on April 30 in a small venue--the back room of a guitar shop in Santa Monica-- that required the 150 or so seated patrons to wear masks.  There was universal compliance.  One of the reasons why was that the owner of the venue spoke to the crowd before the show and explained that, while wearing masks is inconvenient for the patrons, it's nowhere near as inconvenient as it is for the performer if he tests positive and has to cancel subsequent shows that could cost him thousands of dollars.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    Well Mike was letting fans in front rows touch his Strat. So I'd say, not terribly strict with the bubble.
  • Options
    edocon said:
    Well Mike was letting fans in front rows touch his Strat. So I'd say, not terribly strict with the bubble.
    In the pit in L.A., my friend said to me that, because of what you are talking about, Mike was the betting favorite to burst the bubble.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    Seems impossible to really be in a bubble on tour. Everyone they are in contact with would also have to be in a bubble. Wouldn’t make sense for you to be in a bubble but your guitar tech who handles all your instruments isn’t. 

About a bassless show, I was talking about that earlier. they might be able to pull it off in an acoustic, stripped down show. I’d probably think it was an awesome treat. But thousands of other fans who have only seen them a couple times might not. So it probably is the best decision to cancel, as much as I hated it.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,048
    Weird Al also said today that he has covid. I just saw him live on Saturday. He said he’ll make up the dates ASAP though. 

I’m surprised they’re cancelling over this. Nothing against you low-end lovers, but I feel like the show could go on without the bassist. It would be somewhat lacking. But I’d rather a show with no bass than no show at all. Tough luck for the band and fans that had tickets. 
    as a bass player and appreciator of Jeff's contributions, I find this to be a very odd comment. This isn't the white stripes (and I love me some bassless bands). The bass has a huge part in this band. 
    What’s odd about it? I said the show would be lacking without a bassist. But it’s not like the show can’t go on. 
    Enjoy Jeremy without the bass line. 
    I've enjoyed the bass lines but without Jeremy being played for most of my shows :( 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    I'll be wearing my mask in MSG

Might not matter anyway, but I'd rather take some precaution.  

severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Seems impossible to really be in a bubble on tour. Everyone they are in contact with would also have to be in a bubble. Wouldn’t make sense for you to be in a bubble but your guitar tech who handles all your instruments isn’t. 

About a bassless show, I was talking about that earlier. they might be able to pull it off in an acoustic, stripped down show. I’d probably think it was an awesome treat. But thousands of other fans who have only seen them a couple times might not. So it probably is the best decision to cancel, as much as I hated it.
    The crew is also inside the bubble.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    What does a "bubble" consist of? Mike was out at a march this past Saturday I think. I know Ed was talking about not being able to visit with friends and families. But if Mike is out in public with a lot of people (albeit masked), was there really a bubble? 

The whole thing just sucks
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I think masked and outdoors still constitutes a bubble. the risk of transmission outside is very low. even when not taking precautions. and he did. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I'm not optimistic for Europe. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    JimmyV said:
    I bet the discussions are pretty intense between band members and manager about that! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 344
    JimmyV said:
    I bet the discussions are pretty intense between band members and manager about that! 
    A lot of time energy and money will be lost to get everyone and their gear over there just to have things cancelled. They may have insurance that covers some of it though. 
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,079
    JimmyV said:
    I think the band has just been unlucky in the last week. We’ve had loads of massive bands touring Europe and they’ve not been badly impacted, very few cancellations. Loads of US bands doing massive tours here at the moment - the Killers, My Chemical Romance etc. 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,396
    edited May 2022
    ** I found this applies to what must happened in Sacramento... and probably to Matt in Az**
    Couple good passages about new variant and how really really transmissible it is

What to do if you test positive for Covid-19 now

Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    drfox said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think the band has just been unlucky in the last week. We’ve had loads of massive bands touring Europe and they’ve not been badly impacted, very few cancellations. Loads of US bands doing massive tours here at the moment - the Killers, My Chemical Romance etc. 
    All true. They may have better luck next time, and I hope they do. 

Right now though? Right now I don't think it's certain they even get on the plane. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    aweisman10aweisman10 Posts: 145
    JimmyV said:
    Just wild. Seems like the band doesn’t want to tour tbh…The shorter shows, canceling Vegas instead of rescheduling, among other things….while lots of other artists out there are still performing strong..
  • Options
    aweisman10aweisman10 Posts: 145
    drfox said:
    JimmyV said:
    yup lots of tours going on in the us with no cancellations…Unfortunate 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Just wild. Seems like the band doesn’t want to tour tbh…The shorter shows, canceling Vegas instead of rescheduling, among other things….while lots of other artists out there are still performing strong..
    Come on.  The fact that they're playing sets between 2:15 and 2:30 in their late 50s is a sign that they don't want to tour?  When they added three shows to the original itinerary of this leg that they didn't have to add?  Maybe they're playing shorter sets-- still longer than most other artists-- because they're doing what they can to ensure that they'll be able to keep touring into their 60s and 70s.

And why do you assume that they could have just rescheduled the Vegas show?  Do you have any idea how much money from ticket sales and merchandising they left on the table by cancelling?  Do you really think they made that decision lightly?
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    mace1229 said:

But how much of a bubble is it really when it includes dozens of people? You’re telling me all the crew is isolated completely from everyone outside the bubble? None of them saw any family, went out to eat, took an elevator with someone? I find that doubtful. 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Rescheduling probably doesn’t make sense. Get all the crew together for 1 or 2 shows down the road a few months? Probably not worth it for such a short list of reschedules.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    mace1229 said:

But how much of a bubble is it really when it includes dozens of people? You’re telling me all the crew is isolated completely from everyone outside the bubble? None of them saw any family, went out to eat, took an elevator with someone? I find that doubtful. 
    I think that, for the 18 days of the tour and the days of rehearsal leading up to it, they made every effort to minimize interactions with people outside the core group of band members and crew.  It's not a perfect system.  In the end, the infections probably came from the audience.  Six feet is a meaningless metric.  If you're 20 feet away from someone for over two hours and they're singing along at the top of their lungs, unmasked, aspirating aerosolized virus particles in your general direction, you're vulnerable to infection.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    mace1229 said:n
    BF25394 said:
    mace1229 said:

I think that, for the 18 days of the tour and the days of rehearsal leading up to it, they made every effort to minimize interactions with people outside the core group of band members and crew.  It's not a perfect system.  In the end, the infections probably came from the audience.  Six feet is a meaningless metric.  If you're 20 feet away from someone for over two hours and they're singing along at the top of their lungs, unmasked, aspirating aerosolized virus particles in your general direction, you're vulnerable to infection.
    I agree. They probably took every reasonable measure available. Just saying it would be impossible to expect the whole band and crew to be in a complete bubble. I still think it’s probably more likely an innocent interaction with food service or some other person that’s nearly impossible to avoid for 3 weeks while on tour than a fan.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,644
    edocon said:
    I doubt he was licking the strat afterward. 
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    mace1229 said:

I've had these conversations about how to implement such a bubble for a production and yes, the crew should not see anyone from outside the bubble while it is in effect. That is how it is set up and that is what is supposed to happen. Now how do you enforce that other than by honor? You're not going to be able to. It's not like China sealing doors shut so people cannot get out of their homes.