Whiskey Clique

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    bbiggs said:
    Man, I got super lucky today and scored a William Larue Weller at retail.  I gave my store my “wish list” a few months ago and the only one I prioritized over WLW was Pappy 20. They took great care of me and I’ll be cracking it this weekend or Christmas at latest. Can’t wait. 
    Nice score! Merry Christmas indeed!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    cookie dough?!?!  wow.  the peanut butter and banana bourbon was one and done for me.  I don't like sweet drinks.  
    I saw the Skrewball a couple weeks ago and was intrigued by it. That seems like it would be up my alley, but I'm wary of a lot of the flavored whiskeys. Is it a syrupy kind of sweet (think something like Jack Daniels Honey) or is it more that it's just a sweeter tasting whiskey? I think I could handle the latter, but would pass on something syrupy.
    Very syrupy. I didn’t like it but I don’t like sweet flavored whiskey like that, so I knew it wasn’t going to be my thing. 
  • bbiggs said:
    Man, I got super lucky today and scored a William Larue Weller at retail.  I gave my store my “wish list” a few months ago and the only one I prioritized over WLW was Pappy 20. They took great care of me and I’ll be cracking it this weekend or Christmas at latest. Can’t wait. 
    Wow, that's amazing! Congrats! Easily a top 5 bottle every year. WLW has been at the top of my wish list for years, but I've never been able to score one. It seems like an extra special bottle this year since GTS wasn't released. 
  • bbiggs said:
    Lucky bastard!!!  Enjoy that!

We did put a drop of water in there and it opened right up.  Let us know what you think about it.

Retail should be $175 I believe.  What did you pay?
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    cookie dough?!?!  wow.  the peanut butter and banana bourbon was one and done for me.  I don't like sweet drinks.  
    I saw the Skrewball a couple weeks ago and was intrigued by it. That seems like it would be up my alley, but I'm wary of a lot of the flavored whiskeys. Is it a syrupy kind of sweet (think something like Jack Daniels Honey) or is it more that it's just a sweeter tasting whiskey? I think I could handle the latter, but would pass on something syrupy.
    Very syrupy. I didn’t like it but I don’t like sweet flavored whiskey like that, so I knew it wasn’t going to be my thing. 
    Thanks for the clarification. I would probably try it if someone else offers it to me, but I won't be buying a bottle. 
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    bbiggs said:
    That’s awesome. Still never tried WLW or the proper Pappys. I found a place that did a flight for a reasonable price but they shut down after COVID. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    bbiggs said:
    Wow, that's amazing! Congrats! Easily a top 5 bottle every year. WLW has been at the top of my wish list for years, but I've never been able to score one. It seems like an extra special bottle this year since GTS wasn't released. 
    Exact same thing here.  I've been lucky enough to land some Pappy bottles, but this one has been super hard to get.  I'm a huge Weller fan all around so this one is extra special and I can't wait to give it a go!

bbiggs said:
    Lucky bastard!!!  Enjoy that!

We did put a drop of water in there and it opened right up.  Let us know what you think about it.

Retail should be $175 I believe.  What did you pay?
    I'll definitely report back.  I paid $120 plus tax.  Got very lucky.

One more thing to add, and sorry for going on and on about this bottle, but it's exciting.  My store called me and said, "come on in, we have a bottle for you."  I knew it was going to be something from the Pappy/BTAC release, but didn't know what.  I fully thought it would be a Handy, Old Rip 10 or 12.  I'd be thrilled and super appreciative to get any of those three, but my top choices were Pappy 20, WLW, ER17 and Pappy 15 in that order (they ask in advance).  I knew allocations were down again this year and had zero expectations of landing something near the top of my wish list.  As he brought out the bottle, the suspense was killing me.  Took a peek inside and saw the WLW tissue paper and felt like Charlie Buckets seeing the golden ticket.  :smile:  Just a cool moment as a bourbon nerd.  Good luck to all that are hunting for something this year!
  • bbiggs said:
    One more thing to add, and sorry for going on and on about this bottle, but it's exciting.  My store called me and said, "come on in, we have a bottle for you."  I knew it was going to be something from the Pappy/BTAC release, but didn't know what.  I fully thought it would be a Handy, Old Rip 10 or 12.  I'd be thrilled and super appreciative to get any of those three, but my top choices were Pappy 20, WLW, ER17 and Pappy 15 in that order (they ask in advance).  I knew allocations were down again this year and had zero expectations of landing something near the top of my wish list.  As he brought out the bottle, the suspense was killing me.  Took a peek inside and saw the WLW tissue paper and felt like Charlie Buckets seeing the golden ticket.  :smile:  Just a cool moment as a bourbon nerd.  Good luck to all that are hunting for something this year!
    It's Christmas!
  • OK I have an Angels Envy store pick if anyone is interested.  Here is the back story.  It costs $99 if you want it.
    https://www.popswine.com/blog/Start-of-Pop-s-Single-Barrel-and-Special-Selections-Program-g4558863pz
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited December 2021
    limited to 600 bottles. If you are interested let me know. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    bbiggs said:
    Very cool!  I've never owned a BTAC before, so I would be super pumped.

• bbiggs said:
    Awesome! Getting "that call" is one of the most exciting things. While I've never had a chance to get WLW, I've been lucky to get that call for GTS, Old Rip 10, and Lot B in recent years. Always thankful to get those bottles at retail (or close to it). 

Don't we all wish we could use the Delorean to go back and scoop up cases of BTAC for $60/bottle...

• bbiggs said:
    Awesome! Getting "that call" is one of the most exciting things. While I've never had a chance to get WLW, I've been lucky to get that call for GTS, Old Rip 10, and Lot B in recent years. Always thankful to get those bottles at retail (or close to it). 

Don't we all wish we could use the Delorean to go back and scoop up cases of BTAC for $60/bottle...

This is why I don't chase bottles anymore.  Stupid inflated costs by people who buy just to resell.  
    bbiggs said:

Oh man!  That picture is something else.  "SALE!"...as if they needed to give an incentive for someone to buy it.  The funny thing is that picture was taken within the last 20 years.  Not that long ago in reality.
    Good stuff on getting "that call" and definitely thankful anytime it happens.  Always an exciting time of the year if you like bourbon.

bbiggs said:

This is why I don't chase bottles anymore.  Stupid inflated costs by people who buy just to resell.  
    Agree...BUT, if you're lucky enough to grab one at retail, the prices on these are very reasonable.  The hard part is getting it at retail.

• bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Agree...BUT, if you're lucky enough to grab one at retail, the prices on these are very reasonable.  The hard part is getting it at retail.

I've always mentioned that I'll buy retail.  I have zero problem w that.  The bottles I do have are bought right at that or slightly higher.  I'm not paying $1000 for the Larue.  That's just nuts.  I've had and tried enough Pappy that it can be left for the taters and flippers though I would like a bottle of 15 to sip.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I've always mentioned that I'll buy retail.  I have zero problem w that.  The bottles I do have are bought right at that or slightly higher.  I'm not paying $1000 for the Larue.  That's just nuts.  I've had and tried enough Pappy that it can be left for the taters and flippers though I would like a bottle of 15 to sip.
    I have a hard time believing that I could tell the difference between Pappy and Col Taylor.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Agree fully.  Retail or bust.  If given the chance, I'm a buyer of any Pappy or BTAC bottle at retail without hesitation.

• bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I have a hard time believing that I could tell the difference between Pappy and Col Taylor.  
    Which col taylor?  There is definitely a difference.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Outside of a bar, restaurant or club setting, I have never paid above retail for any alcohol and don't plan to.

That picture is a perfect example of everything wrong with the bourbon world today
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I have a bottle of small batch right now...I would love to try Pappy sometime but I'm not paying those outrageous prices
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I have a bottle of small batch right now...I would love to try Pappy sometime but I'm not paying those outrageous prices
    As you shouldn’t.  I won’t even bother trying at the ridiculous prices.

• I took a trip to my old spot and the manager was there.  We chatted it up for a minute and I told him I was looking for 1 bottle, Mid Winters Night Dram.

He went to the back and came out with one.  I said how much?  $130.  Deal.

I’ve only seen this bottle for $200 and up so I’ll take it for the 130.  Have been wanting this one for a while now.

I took a trip to my old spot and the manager was there.  We chatted it up for a minute and I told him I was looking for 1 bottle, Mid Winters Night Dram.

I’ve only seen this bottle for $200 and up so I’ll take it for the 130.  Have been wanting this one for a while now.
    Enjoy man!  Seems reasonable enough. I think it’s around $100 - $120 on average so that’s a fair price. 
  • bbiggs said:

I took a trip to my old spot and the manager was there.  We chatted it up for a minute and I told him I was looking for 1 bottle, Mid Winters Night Dram.

Enjoy man!  Seems reasonable enough. I think it’s around $100 - $120 on average so that’s a fair price. 
    I’m in NY… That is the best I’m going to get.  $300 everywhere else.

To show the Mgr that I really wanted that bottle I offered him a pour.  He declined and was happy that it was going to someone whom wanted it.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    edited December 2021
    Shit, I now find myself preferring scotch over bourbon/rye.  RIP my wallet.  
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Got this for xmas.  Didn't even know this existed....my last name is Roe.  Apparently I have some relatives in Dublin making their own whiskey....