Whiskey Clique

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
This thread is not for pansies who romanticize their clear sissy spirits all out of proportion; it's for human beings who like to get slapped in the mouth and stabbed in the gut by badass foxy browns that don't play well with energy drinks or fruit juices or even ice at times.

So, my fellow folks who value a libation by the grimace it bears, what's your poison?

Mine:

Pappy 20
Pappy "Lot B" 
Four Roses SB
Jefferson's Ocean
Basil Hayden
Wild Turkey
Redemption Barrel Proof Rye
Jack Daniels (if you please)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (and everything Laphroaig)
Ardbeg An Oa (and everything Ardbeg)
Lagavulin 16
Canadian Club
Yamazaki 12

Currently in rotation are three Islay single malts -- Bunnahabhain 12, Laphroaig Select, and Ardbeg An Oa -- perfect for this frigid winter.
I SAW PEARL JAM

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Most of us will never know what Pappy tastes like. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Most of us will never know what Pappy tastes like. 
    I've had each bourbon and the rye.

The 10 needs to cool down a bit, the 15 is napalm, you can almost chew the 23, and there are better ryes.

The 12 ("Lot B") is beautiful. The 20 is sublime; nothing else even comes close. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • I just bought these two. I'm really excited to try the Orphan Barrel soon. 

Ive had pappy 23, 20 and B. The 23 was the best. 

Jameson Black barrel 18 is really, really good too. 

Four Roses is next on my list. 
    edited December 2017
    I just bought these two. I'm really excited to try the Orphan Barrel soon. 

Ha. So you like the chewier Pappy.

Let us know how the Orphan Barrel Canadian goes down (sounds dirty).

Blanton's is a little too hot for me, but I wouldn't turn it down if offered by a friend. I'd just sip it a little more slowly than I would the others on my list -- and back it with a glass of water instead of a beer.

I don't touch the Irish stuff. I've seen what it does to the Irish. :lol: Still, I'd try a finger of the Jameson Black Barrel if someone were so inclined to pour one for me.

Careful with the Four Roses. In my experience, that stuff is liquid crack. I bought nothing but Four Roses SB for about a year after I tried some. Finally, I was at a friend's place, and he poured me about three fingers of Black Maple Hill (back when it was the bomb diggity), and that helped to free me from my Four Roses SB addiction. Still, just typing it now, I'm tempted to go buy a bottle.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes.

F ME, if you read this, scram.

Scotch Scotch Scotch. Here it goes down. Down into my belly.

All things Laphroaig. GIVE ME ALL THE PEAT!
    Lagavulin 12 is in regular rotation
    The Dalmore 18. 
    Ileach 

Jameson on the rocks I drink waaaay to much of.  Step it up with some Red Breast, not my favorite though.

Bourbon is my side piece.

Basil Haydens
    Michters US 1 is a good go to
    I do like Blanton's.  Was the first Bourbon I really fell for.
    Can't go wrong with anything Woodford.  
    Bulleit rye is a go to.
    I have heard awesome things about Four Roses but somehow do not think I have tried.
    Have a bottle of Maker's 46 that was a christmas present for my old man the year before he passed and is the last drink we had together. 
    Too many friggen Bourbons out there these days.

I have never had Pappy.  Would like to try.
    edited December 2017
    Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes.

The Dalmore 18. 
    Ileach 

Jameson on the rocks I drink waaaay to much of.  Step it up with some Red Breast, not my favorite though.

Basil Haydens
    Bulleit rye is a go to.
    I have heard awesome things about Four Roses but somehow do not think I have tried.
    Have a bottle of Maker's 46 that was a christmas present for my old man the year before he passed and is the last drink we had together. 

Goddamn it, Cliffy. Next time I'm in the Philly area, we're ditching F Me at the martini bar and drinking a bottle of Laphroaig somewhere with decent burgers.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

Blanton's is a little too hot for me, but I wouldn't turn it down if offered by a friend. I'd just sip it a little more slowly than I would the others on my list -- and back it with a glass of water instead of a beer.

I don't touch the Irish stuff. I've seen what it does to the Irish. :lol: Still, I'd try a finger of the Jameson Black Barrel if someone were so inclined to pour one for me.

Careful with the Four Roses. In my experience, that stuff is liquid crack. I bought nothing but Four Roses SB for about a year after I tried some. Finally, I was at a friend's place, and he poured me about three fingers of Black Maple Hill (back when it was the bomb diggity), and that helped to free me from my Four Roses SB addiction. Still, just typing it now, I'm tempted to go buy a bottle.
    Pappy 23 wasn't chewy at all.  Weird you say it tasted like that.  Maybe someone had a bootlegged bottle?

The Orphan 25 has an interesting back story where RC had left overs and just held on to it then said "shit, we can sell this!"  I'm hoping it's good but can't find reviews of anyone actually tasting it...
    dankind said:
    Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes.

The Dalmore 18. 
    Ileach 

Basil Haydens
    Bulleit rye is a go to.

Goddamn it, Cliffy. Next time I'm in the Philly area, we're ditching F Me at the martini bar and drinking a bottle of Laphroaig somewhere with decent burgers.
    Oh hell yeah. Can sure as hell make that happen.

He can have his sushi and martinis while we down some red meat and stinky Scottish gloriousness. 
    dankind said:

Pappy 23 wasn't chewy at all.  Weird you say it tasted like that.  Maybe someone had a bootlegged bottle?

The Orphan 25 has an interesting back story where RC had left overs and just held on to it then said "shit, we can sell this!"  I'm hoping it's good but can't find reviews of anyone actually tasting it...
    No bootleg. I had good connections in Brooklyn.

Chewy might be the wrong word. My second experience with Pappy, I had a flight of all the years in order to help me decide which bottle I wanted to buy, and it was not what I was expecting at all after the 20. The 20 was just so smooth and round after the harsh 15 that I was expecting even more mellowing out for the 23, and what I got was a dram that stuck with me. No lie. I had some water afterward, and the water tasted like Pappy 23. Helluva punch that one packed.

In the end, I was glad that I wound up liking the 20 more than the 23 (and the 12 more than the 15); it saved me lots of money on my standing orders every year.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Aberlour or Glenlivet for Scotch, Knob Creek or Booker's for bourbon.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Ohhh, Aberlour.  I do like that one
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    I had to give all but my Pappy away.....it was trouble.

I’m back to beer only, for awhile.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ohhh, Aberlour.  I do like that one
    :clap:

Perfect blend of character and smooth drinkability
    dankind said:
    Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes.

The Dalmore 18. 
    Ileach 

Basil Haydens
    Bulleit rye is a go to.

He can have his sushi and martinis while we down some red meat and stinky Scottish gloriousness. 

I would gladly do burgers with cliffy or sushi with F’me......just as long as dan wasn’t there.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    Since I live in Scotland now, I learned to love Whisky. At the moment I have a bottle of 15 y/o Glendronach open but I always need a wee drop of water for all the flavours come out and I can always appreciate an Aberfeldy. But there are still so many Whiskys to try, I am still a total newbie...

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Our late Scottish accountant recommended Laphroaig at a holiday party several years back.  Man oh man, that was...wow.  I made good use of the open bar there.

Do we have a neat or on-the-rocks crowd here?  I'm of the former.
    Neat. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    edited December 2017
    Neat or with a drop of water. As far as I am aware you just don't drink (Scottish) Whisky with ice...
    Post edited by Miss.Snowdrop on
    dankind said:
    Neat. 
    unlike your hair.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    Neat. I like the burn. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Jim Beam was part of my almost-road-to-hell so I must forgo the Mr. Beam and opt for a little Southern Comfort sippin' now and them, especially in the winter or when camping.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Jim Beam was part of my almost-road-to-hell so I must forgo the Mr. Beam and opt for a little Southern Comfort sippin' now and them, especially in the winter or when camping.
    I slip a nice portion of local maple syrup in for camping.  You need that sweet, thick, throat coating when sitting by a fire, whiskey is smokey enough and the combination of whiskey and smoke can make for a froggy throat at the trailhead.
    Honey works too, but I prefer the spiciness of maple.
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    I tried a Canadian maple whiskey in Quebec City and it was delicious..warming not too sweet. When I'm fighting a cold I love hot toddies with whiskey, honey. Hot water, and a big squeeze of lemon. I still like Jim Beam--the black label is good. Woodford is nice to sip on. And for camping a flask of 100 proof southern comfort makes some of the most rustic situations more comfortable.

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    I'm a bourbon man myself, although I do enjoy some Scotch every now and then.

My favorite bourbon is Woodford Reserve. I like it slightly chilled, so I use my whiskey stones with it. My boss gave me a 750 ml bottle as a Christmas present (I guess he appreciates my work) and I'll be opening that for NYE. If I'm going to be making a mixed drink, I'll use either Beam or Maker's Mark, depending on whichever was cheaper at the time.

For Scotch, the one I liked the best was Glenlivet 18, but that's too pricey for me, so I usually buy the Glenlivet 12. Occasionally, I'll have an Islay, but the peatiness is usually too much for me. Still relatively new to Scotch though and have only tried Speysides and Islays.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    Four Roses is my favorite if I'm looking for something straight and neat. When I want something a little milder and with a touch of sweetness the Knob Creek Smoked Maple and Jim Beam Red Stag are deliciously addictive.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I'm a bourbon man myself, although I do enjoy some Scotch every now and then.

My favorite bourbon is Woodford Reserve. I like it slightly chilled, so I use my whiskey stones with it. My boss gave me a 750 ml bottle as a Christmas present (I guess he appreciates my work) and I'll be opening that for NYE. If I'm going to be making a mixed drink, I'll use either Beam or Maker's Mark, depending on whichever was cheaper at the time.

For Scotch, the one I liked the best was Glenlivet 18, but that's too pricey for me, so I usually buy the Glenlivet 12. Occasionally, I'll have an Islay, but the peatiness is usually too much for me. Still relatively new to Scotch though and have only tried Speysides and Islays.
    you can't beat the value of the Glenlivet 12, it's the cheapest Scotch that's truly top shelf and it's good for every occasion.
    Oh yeah. Jim Beam Red Stag and Buffalo Trace are others that I'll keep on the shelf.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Had a little Basil Hayden's last evening while watching a bootleg version of The Last Jedi.  The nerds are wrong. The movie was solid.
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:
    Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes.

The Dalmore 18. 
    Ileach 

Basil Haydens
    Bulleit rye is a go to.

I would gladly do burgers with cliffy or sushi with F’me......just as long as dan wasn’t there.

https://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8
    I SAW PEARL JAM