2022 North American rumour thread take 2

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Mikemzl91 said:
    Chad Smith from a recent Rollng Stone interview:

How did you end up playing with Eddie Vedder on his new solo album and live at the Ohana Fest?
    I work a lot with the producer/musician Andrew Watt. He’s amazing. We did a couple of songs for Ed, and then it turned out great and we just ended up doing a whole record, which is excellent. I’ve known him forever. We took Pearl Jam on that first tour in 1991 way back when, and you know, obviously he’s an amazing musician and so fun to connect with on a musical level. We’ve played together but we’ve never recorded or done any shows. It was really fun. Easy, fast. You didn’t hear it from me, but Ed’s talking about doing [more solo tour] dates

Full article:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/chili-peppers-2022-stadium-tour-count-me-in-1241147/
    I've been convinced for awhile now that Eddie will play shows, either PJ or solo, until the end.  I think he has the hunger to play as much as he can.  I cant say the same for the rest of the band.  Again, I have no intel on this, its just my gut feeling.  I don't think EV is the reason the band has scaled back so much over the last 5 years.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    Mikemzl91 said:

How did you end up playing with Eddie Vedder on his new solo album and live at the Ohana Fest?
    I work a lot with the producer/musician Andrew Watt. He’s amazing. We did a couple of songs for Ed, and then it turned out great and we just ended up doing a whole record, which is excellent. I’ve known him forever. We took Pearl Jam on that first tour in 1991 way back when, and you know, obviously he’s an amazing musician and so fun to connect with on a musical level. We’ve played together but we’ve never recorded or done any shows. It was really fun. Easy, fast. You didn’t hear it from me, but Ed’s talking about doing [more solo tour] dates

Full article:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/chili-peppers-2022-stadium-tour-count-me-in-1241147/
    I've been convinced for awhile now that Eddie will play shows, either PJ or solo, until the end.  I think he has the hunger to play as much as he can.  I cant say the same for the rest of the band.  Again, I have no intel on this, its just my gut feeling.  I don't think EV is the reason the band has scaled back so much over the last 5 years.
    I feel like someone in the band (doesn't really matter who, but probably not Ed) doesn't want to live the touring life until the pandemic is cleared up. One-off performances (or weekend trips) are probably ok, just no night after night of bus/plane, hotel, repeat. I could see that being not so attractive at this point.

That being said, things are looking up - so I still anticipate spring.
    biz999 said:
    Mikemzl91 said:

Full article:

I feel like someone in the band (doesn't really matter who, but probably not Ed) doesn't want to live the touring life until the pandemic is cleared up. One-off performances (or weekend trips) are probably ok, just no night after night of bus/plane, hotel, repeat. I could see that being not so attractive at this point.

I feel the same, and agree its not Ed.  I think Eddie would light up MSG 4 nights in a row this weekend if it was up to him.
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    biz999 said:
    Mikemzl91 said:

Full article:

I feel the same, and agree its not Ed.  I think Eddie would light up MSG 4 nights in a row this weekend if it was up to him.
    Based on interviews I'm thinking it is Jeff.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Jeff has said before that he's not the first the guy that wants to sign up for a big tour. And that's during normal, safe times.  Add in Covid and it's easy to see why there might be some hesitation.  

Scaling back over the past 5 years or so might have a lot to do with their kids too. I think all of them except Jeff have had school aged kids during that time frame. 
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    mcgruff10 said:

Based on Brandi Carlile's recent interview on Stern, she was saying how Mike lives in a Yurt out in the middle of nowhere,  so maybe he enjoys that lifestyle, or maybe he isn't too keen on being around lots of people. 
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    mcgruff10 said:
    biz999 said:
    Mikemzl91 said:

Full article:

Agree
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hihobibo said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Based on Brandi Carlile's recent interview on Stern, she was saying how Mike lives in a Yurt out in the middle of nowhere,  so maybe he enjoys that lifestyle, or maybe he isn't too keen on being around lots of people. 
    mike lives in a yurt?

"I'll take 'things I never expected to read' for a thousand, alex". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    she said he has a yurt on the property he owns next to hers.  he still has a house in seattle.  she even said when they come he sleeps in her house most of the time.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • I need to start putting in vacation days for next year starting tomorrow 
  • I need to start putting in vacation days for next year starting tomorrow 

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    I need to start putting in vacation days for next year starting tomorrow 
    👀
    edited October 2021
    Talk about a complete loser move

The Weeknd canceled his entire arena tour so he could “go bigger” with a stadium tour instead

What a slap in the face to ticket holders.  I’ve suddenly lost any and all interest in The Weeknd

Good news is that frees up a weekend in February.  

Is the entire touring industry just turning into “let’s savagely make as much $$$ as we can, who gives a shit about the fans and their plans?”

Maybe it always has been but seems to be worse now than ever 
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    👀
    This reads as his vacation days can start to be booked tomorrow.... Or maybe dates are starting to leak? 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    PJNB said:
    👀
    This reads as his vacation days can start to be booked tomorrow.... Or maybe dates are starting to leak? 

This.
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    The vaccination being available to children may also have something to do with it. I believe Stone and Mike have kids under 12, could be wrong, but I think they do. Even if the kids aren't going on tour, those guys may not be thrilled about going out on tour and coming home and feeling like they would need to quarantine, or maybe they do want them to come along some too. As a parent of kids under 12, I know I will feel a lot better about getting more back to normal, once I can protect all the members of the household, and the guys in the band may feel similar, which may also be part of why touring continues to be delayed.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • biz999biz999 Posts: 172

The Weeknd canceled his entire arena tour so he could “go bigger” with a stadium tour instead

What a slap in the face to ticket holders.  I’ve suddenly lost any and all interest in The Weeknd

Is the entire touring industry just turning into “let’s savagely make as much $$$ as we can, who gives a shit about the fans and their plans?”

I LOVE live music and typically if I am free and there is an arena show that looks even semi-interesting, I'll grab a cheap ticket and go check it out. The Weeknd is on my list of most boring shows I've seen. I'm not knocking him, but it really did not click with me.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I thought The Weeknd was a band until he played the Super Bowl and it was just one guy. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876

I love when artists spin moving to a bigger venue as an "upgrade."  Nope.  As an avid concert-goer, while certain venues are better than other, I can safely generalize that I prefer smaller venues.  And arenas vs. stadiums...no contest.  Stadiums are too big for concerts.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Spurs14Spurs14 Buffalo Grove, IL Posts: 226
    Spurs14 said:
    That was a very good read thanks.

Surprised that insurance is an issue with the world we live in now but I guess even those companies have had enough and do not want further losses. It actually makes a lot of sense on why PJ is potentially waiting on announcing next years dates now with some uncertainty still out there with covid. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    This is the content we are looking for!
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    PJNB said:
    Spurs14 said:

Surprised that insurance is an issue with the world we live in now but I guess even those companies have had enough and do not want further losses. It actually makes a lot of sense on why PJ is potentially waiting on announcing next years dates now with some uncertainty still out there with covid. 
    Surprised in what sense?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:
    Spurs14 said:

Surprised in what sense?
    I just assumed that they could back out with covid being an excuse at any point after announcing the tour. It looks like that is not the case for some locations hence the risk of announcing too early.  Lots of bands have been doing this this year. 

As a fan I want them to announce the dates asap but stuff like this makes sense from a business perspective to not  announce until they are almost certain the shows will happen. 
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:
    Spurs14 said:

Surprised in what sense?
    I just assumed that they could back out with covid being an excuse at any point after announcing the tour. It looks like that is not the case for some locations hence the risk of announcing too early.  Lots of bands have been doing this this year. 

As a fan I want them to announce the dates asap but stuff like this makes sense from a business perspective to not  announce until they are almost certain the shows will happen. 
    That was probably true before Covid was a known thing. Once it became known, any reasonable insurance company is going to not cover Covid as a reason for cancellation. Either that or the premiums to cover are insane.

If album sales actually made $$$ like back in the day, I suspect everyone would just be cranking out albums and nobody would be out on tour. Let's face it, a few members of Pearl Jam probably have enough money to not deal with this poop. Especially the ones with young kids at home.

There are two great festivals in Monterrey and Mexico City in November (Foo Fighters, Tame Impala, Twenty One Pilots). I just got back from Mexico City and it is an amazing place full of tacos. Would highly recommend if you are mildly adventurous. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:
    Spurs14 said:

Surprised in what sense?

Exactly.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore

I love when artists spin moving to a bigger venue as an "upgrade."  Nope.  As an avid concert-goer, while certain venues are better than other, I can safely generalize that I prefer smaller venues.  And arenas vs. stadiums...no contest.  Stadiums are too big for concerts.

Yeah I immediately said to myself “thanks for the refund, I’m good now”

In the past month, I’ve had The Killers cancel last minute without any band announcement, The Weeknd cancel to “upgrade” and my favorite band going on month 20 of silence regarding multiple shows

Thank God for TwentyOne Pilots to keep my faith alive.  Going to the Boston show this weekend and Columbus show the next.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Probably way less chance of needing to cancel an outdoor stadium show.  Might be a smart move by The Weeknd.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs said:
    Probably way less chance of needing to cancel an outdoor stadium show.  Might be a smart move by The Weeknd.  
    He had too many weeknights on the indoor tour.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023