California governor recall election

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218

I'm sure he has presidential ambitions. Having just read Steve Rodrick's essay on the recall in Rolling Stone this morning ("handsome mannequin," "perfectly fanged"), I see I'm not the only person who gets a plastic vibe from him. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/gavin-newsom-recall-victory-landslide-california-1226548/  I don't see him as being a successful candidate on a national level, no matter how often he invokes Bobby Kennedy.

Someone on SD Reddit called the results a "swift kick in the balls" for Kevin Faulconer, former SD mayor who was eyeing a gubernatorial run himself.

And yes this has served as a wake-up call to Californians -- the recall process needs to be changed. To be fair, this recall got a four-month extension to gather enough signatures, but still, needing signatures from just 12% of the number of people who voted in the last election to spark a recall? $276 million later, it's time to change those rules.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • mace1229 said:
    One of the biggest complaints and reasons for a recall is the homeless and crime issues. I used to live in Venice Beach and now the pictures I see it’s just overgrown with tents. But how much of that is state vs local government to blame? 
    We’ve got a growing homeless problem here in Colorado, part of it is local city council struck down the ban on “urban camping” so tent encampments are growing, spreading and are a much bigger problem than they were just a year ago. That’s local, not state. I’m not a fan of Newsom, but I also think he’s getting blame for things out of his control too.
    is this covid related? the homeless encampments have been a massive issue in Winnipeg as well. they have grown exponentially in size and in numbers of. 
    We should continue this in the homeless thread too.

I lived in Cali and seattle in the 90's.

Visited back again in the 2000's and 2010's.

Even went to Missoula.

Seattle and Cali are shells of what they used to be.  There was homeless in the 90's but nothing like this.  It's unbelievable.  San Francisco did not have a tent on it in the 80's or 90's.  They are everywhere now.

In Missoula the homeless live by the river and under the bridges.  In Ventura they live by the beach and under the bridges.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    mace1229 said:
    One of the biggest complaints and reasons for a recall is the homeless and crime issues. I used to live in Venice Beach and now the pictures I see it’s just overgrown with tents. But how much of that is state vs local government to blame? 
    We’ve got a growing homeless problem here in Colorado, part of it is local city council struck down the ban on “urban camping” so tent encampments are growing, spreading and are a much bigger problem than they were just a year ago. That’s local, not state. I’m not a fan of Newsom, but I also think he’s getting blame for things out of his control too.
    is this covid related? the homeless encampments have been a massive issue in Winnipeg as well. they have grown exponentially in size and in numbers of. 
    We should continue this in the homeless thread too.

I lived in Cali and seattle in the 90's.

Visited back again in the 2000's and 2010's.

Even went to Missoula.

Seattle and Cali are shells of what they used to be.  There was homeless in the 90's but nothing like this.  It's unbelievable.  San Francisco did not have a tent on it in the 80's or 90's.  They are everywhere now.

In Missoula the homeless live by the river and under the bridges.  In Ventura they live by the beach and under the bridges.

I was shocked, visiting Seattle, to see tents pitched on pretty much every grassy spot downtown. There's an intersection down by, Macy's, I think, where there's a tiny traffic island in the middle of the road, and someone was camping there. It's much worse than it was years ago.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Way to blow $300 million, petulant, sulking republicans (and a few others).  As others of you have pointed out, the process is a joke and needs to be changed, the timing was awful (in another 12 months we have another gubernatorial election anyway), and there are more pressing need that money could have gone toward.  State on fire anybody?
    In response, some of those on the losing end of the recall are whining about how now they might "have to" leave the state.   Fine, good riddance.  Go waste people's time and money somewhere else.  Better yet, go to Texas or Florida where you won't have to do that because there, you will be accepted with open arms.  (Sorry, TX and FL, but you screwed already.) 
    And mother nature is doing some purging of her own.  The counties that voted strongest in favor of recall were rural counties like the shit-head county I live in, and mother nature is burning us out of here as best she can. 
    Can you blame her?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    Way to blow $300 million, petulant, sulking republicans (and a few others).  As others of you have pointed out, the process is a joke and needs to be changed, the timing was awful (in another 12 months we have another gubernatorial election anyway), and there are more pressing need that money could have gone toward.  State on fire anybody?
    In response, some of those on the losing end of the recall are whining about how now they might "have to" leave the state.   Fine, good riddance.  Go waste people's time and money somewhere else.  Better yet, go to Texas or Florida where you won't have to do that because there, you will be accepted with open arms.  (Sorry, TX and FL, but you screwed already.) 
    And mother nature is doing some purging of her own.  The counties that voted strongest in favor of recall were rural counties like the shit-head county I live in, and mother nature is burning us out of here as best she can. 
    Can you blame her?
    frustrating times, for sure, brian. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    Our federal liberal government in Canada called an election absolute no one wanted but them...cost us 600 million for what will likely be the same result as the previous election 2 years ago and the liberal PM has already been on record claiming if he is returned with a minority then we will likely have another election in 2 years and another 600 billion wasted...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    I read that Cali is going to change the process.  it is absurd at how much it cost and to have literally nothing change...
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    Our federal liberal government in Canada called an election absolute no one wanted but them...cost us 600 million for what will likely be the same result as the previous election 2 years ago and the liberal PM has already been on record claiming if he is returned with a minority then we will likely have another election in 2 years and another 600 billion wasted...
    Sorry to hear that.  I thought Canadians had more sense than us.  I guess it's all "Murica".
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    I read that Cali is going to change the process.  it is absurd at how much it cost and to have literally nothing change...

I hope so.  But what I wonder is, how did it get this way in the first place.  Obviously being predominant a Democrat blue state does not make us perfect by any means.  I mean, after all, the system is run by that most illogical of species:  homo sapiens. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mace1229 said:

So, in the past few years I've been to Seattle and Portland (and Boulder), and I live in San Diego. Lived in Seattle many years ago, when there was homelessness and the McDonald's on 4th and Pike(?) already was scary, but what I saw in 2018 was out of control compared to how it used to be. It's a big issue in cities all along the West Coast as far as I can tell -- Portland offers storage facilities for homeless people, so they have a place where they can leave their stuff each day. Downtown San Diego -- I volunteered at the vaccination supersite at Petco Field this spring, and we were advised to travel in groups, during the day, to the parking garage. 

And I was surprised by the number of tents/ encampments along the Boulder Creek trail, too.

I do think it's a matter that needs to be addressed more locally than on a state level, even while the problem transcends state borders.
    Having lived in Boulder I can tell you that it is not as bad as it was when weed was legalized. Then the transients were everywhere. But then the city outlawed smoking in public  (of anything) and then other states legalized weed so a lot of the transients moved on.
  • mace1229 said:

So, in the past few years I've been to Seattle and Portland (and Boulder), and I live in San Diego. Lived in Seattle many years ago, when there was homelessness and the McDonald's on 4th and Pike(?) already was scary, but what I saw in 2018 was out of control compared to how it used to be. It's a big issue in cities all along the West Coast as far as I can tell -- Portland offers storage facilities for homeless people, so they have a place where they can leave their stuff each day. Downtown San Diego -- I volunteered at the vaccination supersite at Petco Field this spring, and we were advised to travel in groups, during the day, to the parking garage. 

And I was surprised by the number of tents/ encampments along the Boulder Creek trail, too.

I do think it's a matter that needs to be addressed more locally than on a state level, even while the problem transcends state borders.
    Having lived in Boulder I can tell you that it is not as bad as it was when weed was legalized. Then the transients were everywhere. But then the city outlawed smoking in public  (of anything) and then other states legalized weed so a lot of the transients moved on.
    Legalizing weed brought in the transients?  That is a very interesting perspective.  I wonder why?  Easy jobs?
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    over 200 million wasted by the zealots on this little spectacle. maybe they should just masturbate next time. they would feel better after, and they would have at least a little something to show for it.

that is my modified george carlin joke for the day.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    Done by "fiscally responsible" people who believe "elections have consequences."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    mace1229 said:

Legalizing weed brought in the transients?  That is a very interesting perspective.  I wonder why?  Easy jobs?
    No
    Easy access to weed.

over 200 million wasted by the zealots on this little spectacle. maybe they should just masturbate next time. they would feel better after, and they would have at least a little something to show for it.

that is my modified george carlin joke for the day.
    Haha!  Good one!
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    Done by "fiscally responsible" people who believe "elections have consequences."
    This!  The irony.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    Sorry to hear that.  I thought Canadians had more sense than us.  I guess it's all "Murica".
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?

I hope so.  But what I wonder is, how did it get this way in the first place.  Obviously being predominant a Democrat blue state does not make us perfect by any means.  I mean, after all, the system is run by that most illogical of species:  homo sapiens. 
    And the Prime Minister who triggered the election was in Ontario this week violating public health guidelines with his campaign rallies…only 1 person wanted the election…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,385
    edited September 2021
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
    edited September 2021
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?

And the Prime Minister who triggered the election was in Ontario this week violating public health guidelines with his campaign rallies…only 1 person wanted the election…
    more lies^^^^

oftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 12,385
    Meltdown99 said:
    Trudeau holding rallies violating Ontario public health measures…one set of rules for the elites…
    Wrong again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-rips-trudeau-campaign-event-1.6176747

The Speranza Banquet Hall has a pandemic-era capacity of 500, down from the normal limit of 1,000 — so the 400-strong Liberal crowd did not violate provincial rules that limit indoors events to 50 per cent of regular capacity.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?

more lies^^^^

Meltdown99 said:
    Trudeau holding rallies violating Ontario public health measures…one set of rules for the elites…
    Wrong again.

The Speranza Banquet Hall has a pandemic-era capacity of 500, down from the normal limit of 1,000 — so the 400-strong Liberal crowd did not violate provincial rules that limit indoors events to 50 per cent of regular capacity.
    Whoa. I’m being cross-thread quoted. Trippy. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?
    brianlux said:
    Can you blame her?

more lies^^^^

Meltdown99 said:
    Wrong again.

Whoa. I’m being cross-thread quoted. Trippy. 
    well i didn't want to post it and not give you credit. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I just Googled "How much money was wasted on California recall election?" and was not at all surprised to see that this recall election is being seen as a waste of money.  And who do you suppose is the first to cry "foul" about government wasting money?  Yup!

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    brianlux said:
    I just Googled "How much money was wasted on California recall election?" and was not at all surprised to see that this recall election is being seen as a waste of money.  And who do you suppose is the first to cry "foul" about government wasting money?  Yup!

It is ridiculous. They bitched and complained about the Mueller report which cost $32 million. This thing cost $300,000,000 and had next to no chance of succeeding. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    brianlux said:

It is ridiculous. They bitched and complained about the Mueller report which cost $32 million. This thing cost $300,000,000 and had next to no chance of succeeding. 
    Remember these are the same people who happily send millions of dollars to a known con artist to fund his "reelection pac".
    brianlux said:

Remember these are the same people who happily send millions of dollars to a known con artist to fund his "reelection pac".

How's that go about "a fool and his [or her] money"?

brianlux said:

if it had no chance of succeeding, why were democrats so (seemingly) concerned about it? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited September 2021
    brianlux said:

if it had no chance of succeeding, why were democrats so (seemingly) concerned about it? 
    Appearances. In a blue state like that, you want to make sure they not only win but demolish the opponent. If Newsom won by like 10% instead of 30% (or whatever it ended up at) that would be perceived as a win for republicans and give them momentum heading into VA next month and midterms next year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • I am hearing "voter fraud" and crying about the recall from the right side.

The state is heavily democrat.  Has been for years.  What did you really think was going to happen?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Not saying this one was rigged, but I just don’t trust our voting system anymore.

And FYI, the way the ballot was prefolded so you didn’t have to think much about it, if someone did elect for the recall, their answer would be plainly shown through the holes in the envelope unless you folded it differently yourself.

Not saying a conspiracy, but who the hell designs so-called anonymous ballots so haplessly? 
  • hedonist said:
    Not saying this one was rigged, but I just don’t trust our voting system anymore.

And FYI, the way the ballot was prefolded so you didn’t have to think much about it, if someone did elect for the recall, their answer would be plainly shown through the holes in the envelope unless you folded it differently yourself.

Not saying a conspiracy, but who the hell designs so-called anonymous ballots so haplessly? 
    I can't speak for this recall vote, but when trump's election integrity commission set out to prove all of trump's claims about voter fraud they came up with nothing. 

I feel like if these elections were indeed rigged, it would have been exposed by this point. 

Just my $0.02. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    brianlux said:

Not taking any chances after what happened in '16.

#triggered