California governor recall election

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jesus. if there's one thing Joe Rogan and I agree on, it's "don't read the comments". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• It used to be "get out and vote." Obviously the implication was to get out and vote for the democrat...but at least it was just an implication. Now it's "we feel you should vote this way." 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • California loves getting rid of their elected officials...  This is how Arnold got elected.
    Yeah, I lived there when that happened and voted once for him.  It wasn't the same process, though, it was a runoff if I recall on recalled Grey Davis between Arnold and some other dude 
    Wasn't the same ballot and a choose your own adventure process.
    Didn't they oust him over doubling the registration fees for cars?  I was in between travel and Cali at that time.

Davis was tripling the vehicle registration fees, but skyrocketing electrical bills in the early 2000s contributed to the recall effort. I don't agree with recalls in the absence of corruption or serious criminal activity. California needs to change their recall election criteria. Recalls are a waste of taxpayer money and can be easily turned into a perpetual shitshow. Just wait for the next election to vote out someone you do not like.

I still have not returned my California recall ballot. There are no viable options to choose on the second question in case Newsom gets recalled, but I do not want to leave it blank. What to do. Elder would be a complete disaster for California. Ug!
    The power bills spiking were because of Enron I thought and not the Governor's fault?
    It used to be "get out and vote." Obviously the implication was to get out and vote for the democrat...but at least it was just an implication. Now it's "we feel you should vote this way." 

too much risk in ambiguity. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    It used to be "get out and vote." Obviously the implication was to get out and vote for the democrat...but at least it was just an implication. Now it's "we feel you should vote this way." 

So what? The Elder Administration isn't going to worry about this.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • California loves getting rid of their elected officials...  This is how Arnold got elected.
    Yeah, I lived there when that happened and voted once for him.  It wasn't the same process, though, it was a runoff if I recall on recalled Grey Davis between Arnold and some other dude 
    Wasn't the same ballot and a choose your own adventure process.
    Didn't they oust him over doubling the registration fees for cars?  I was in between travel and Cali at that time.

Davis was tripling the vehicle registration fees, but skyrocketing electrical bills in the early 2000s contributed to the recall effort. I don't agree with recalls in the absence of corruption or serious criminal activity. California needs to change their recall election criteria. Recalls are a waste of taxpayer money and can be easily turned into a perpetual shitshow. Just wait for the next election to vote out someone you do not like.

I still have not returned my California recall ballot. There are no viable options to choose on the second question in case Newsom gets recalled, but I do not want to leave it blank. What to do. Elder would be a complete disaster for California. Ug!
    The power bills spiking were because of Enron I thought and not the Governor's fault?

Yes, you are right. It was not Governor Gray Davis's fault. Governor Pete Wilson signed the deregulation that the California power companies wanted. Afterwards, when California's electricity demand exceeded supply, Enron took advantage of the deregulation and gouged California. Since the price spikes and rolling blackouts happened during the time Gray Davis was Governor, he got blamed, especially by the media. 
  • Was that Nancy Pelosi's daughter in the pink gorilla mask throwing eggs? Jessie Smellit was asking? 
    Was that Nancy Pelosi's daughter in the pink gorilla mask throwing eggs? Jessie Smellit was asking? 
    oh my god, you are seriously asking about political rival's children without mentioning trump's kids? HAHAHA
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited September 2021
    Was that Nancy Pelosi's daughter in the pink gorilla mask throwing eggs? Jessie Smellit was asking? 
    oh my god, you are seriously asking about political rival's children without mentioning trump's kids? HAHAHA
    Or…. You can say a black conservative was attacked by a white liberal wearing a gorilla mask. The hypocrisy on both sides, especially their voters, are enough to keep me away from politics…. Forever. Honestly. If this was the other way around everyone would be up in arms. 

I understand the way the poster brought this up was immature at best and deserved this answer, but Trumps idiotic children have nothing to do with anything. Luckily. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    nicknyr15 said:
    Or…. You can say a black conservative was attacked by a white liberal wearing a gorilla mask. The hypocrisy on both sides, especially their voters, are enough to keep me away from politics…. Forever. Honestly. If this was the other way around everyone would be up in arms. 

I understand the way the poster brought this up was immature at best and deserved this answer, but Trumps idiotic children have nothing to do with anything. Luckily. 
    i came to this thread and was surprised to see my post. i don't recall posting it! we were out at a function and i clearly had more to drink than i recall. lol. my post makes no sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    nicknyr15 said:

i came to this thread and was surprised to see my post. i don't recall posting it! we were out at a function and i clearly had more to drink than i recall. lol. my post makes no sense. 
    Hahaha. I love it. All good man hope you had fun. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Man, Hughes Notworking stuck it to me and I haven't been able to check in here for about a week (I'm on a borrowed device right now), and I come back and people are throwing pink eggs and shit.  Gnarly!

I dropped off my ballot today.  I figure I will either be glad when this is over, or REALLY getting serious about moving.  We shall see.

Ya'll be good 'cause I can only check in occasionally (like anything I say would matter anyway, haha!  :-D ).  The Spruce Goose Notworking ISP is really sticking it to us.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    brianlux said:

I dropped off my ballot today.  I figure I will either be glad when this is over, or REALLY getting serious about moving.  We shall see.

Same here, on all points.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited September 2021
    San Diego County representing =)

Edit to add: This might be an early night. 2.4M votes already counted, 65-35 for "no recall."
    Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    -- And it's called by NBC. Newsom stays.

What a colossal waste of time and money.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    One of the biggest complaints and reasons for a recall is the homeless and crime issues. I used to live in Venice Beach and now the pictures I see it’s just overgrown with tents. But how much of that is state vs local government to blame? 
    We’ve got a growing homeless problem here in Colorado, part of it is local city council struck down the ban on “urban camping” so tent encampments are growing, spreading and are a much bigger problem than they were just a year ago. That’s local, not state. I’m not a fan of Newsom, but I also think he’s getting blame for things out of his control too.
    mace1229 said:
    One of the biggest complaints and reasons for a recall is the homeless and crime issues. I used to live in Venice Beach and now the pictures I see it’s just overgrown with tents. But how much of that is state vs local government to blame? 
    We’ve got a growing homeless problem here in Colorado, part of it is local city council struck down the ban on “urban camping” so tent encampments are growing, spreading and are a much bigger problem than they were just a year ago. That’s local, not state. I’m not a fan of Newsom, but I also think he’s getting blame for things out of his control too.

So, in the past few years I've been to Seattle and Portland (and Boulder), and I live in San Diego. Lived in Seattle many years ago, when there was homelessness and the McDonald's on 4th and Pike(?) already was scary, but what I saw in 2018 was out of control compared to how it used to be. It's a big issue in cities all along the West Coast as far as I can tell -- Portland offers storage facilities for homeless people, so they have a place where they can leave their stuff each day. Downtown San Diego -- I volunteered at the vaccination supersite at Petco Field this spring, and we were advised to travel in groups, during the day, to the parking garage. 

And I was surprised by the number of tents/ encampments along the Boulder Creek trail, too.

I do think it's a matter that needs to be addressed more locally than on a state level, even while the problem transcends state borders.
    So I assume the next recall process starts tomorrow.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Fuck Newsom and his oiliness. 

(I am still entitled to an opinion, I assume — says the lone naysayer :lol: )

Crime here has become ridiculous. Some committed by homeless / mentally unwell or those just out to get theirs…from anyone and by any means. Burglaries, robberies, holdups of patrons at outdoor eateries, attempted breakins, successful breakins…it’s sad, and angering that many if not most receive neither assistance nor punishment. 

Just the tip of my personal iceberg.

Still, sincere congrats to those who love the guy.  

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    mace1229 said:
    fiscal conservatives could go a long way by spending money to try to eradicate the homeless issue. instead they caused tax payers to spend over $250 million on an unnecessary recall election that was officially called 37 minutes after polls closed. the vote gap is getting bigger as the night goes on. 

this recall rejection is going to be a landslide by tomorrow morning.

california needs to fix their recall laws and keep on trying to do the progressive thing because it wins there. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    mace1229 said:
    fiscal conservatives could go a long way by spending money to try to eradicate the homeless issue. instead they caused tax payers to spend over $250 million on an unnecessary recall election that was officially called 37 minutes after polls closed. the vote gap is getting bigger as the night goes on. 

this recall rejection is going to be a landslide by tomorrow morning.

california needs to fix their recall laws and keep on trying to do the progressive thing because it wins there. 
    It's definitely looking that way at 1/3 voting yes to recall, 2/3 voting no.  Good!

This whole election was bullshit in the first place and a terrible waste of money that could have been used for more important things: fighting wildfires, helping the homeless and pandemic victims, and more.  Far right wingers need to get their priorities straight.  All they needed to do was wait 12 months for the regular election.  Glad this is over but what a fucking waste.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

hedonist said:

Crime here has become ridiculous. Some committed by homeless / mentally unwell or those just out to get theirs…from anyone and by any means. Burglaries, robberies, holdups of patrons at outdoor eateries, attempted breakins, successful breakins…it’s sad, and angering that many if not most receive neither assistance nor punishment. 

It’s not about loving Newsom. I’m indifferent to him. The recall process here is a mess, and the candidates running to replace Newsom were, with the possible exception of Faulconer, wholly unqualified.

Is homelessness a problem? Yes. Did the recall do anything to address homelessness? No. Are you entitled to your opinion? Of course. Don’t like what you’re seeing? Push for actual qualified candidates, not cranks; we need a healthy multi-party system, and right now we don’t have one.
    hedonist said:

It’s not about loving Newsom. I’m indifferent to him. The recall process here is a mess, and the candidates running to replace Newsom were, with the possible exception of Faulconer, wholly unqualified.

Is homelessness a problem? Yes. Did the recall do anything to address homelessness? No. Are you entitled to your opinion? Of course. Don’t like what you’re seeing? Push for actual qualified candidates, not cranks; we need a healthy multi-party system, and right now we don’t have one.
    Yeah, I can't say I love the guy either.  I've said here before I have issues with him as governor.  I'm mixed to neutral as well, but not anti-Newsom.

Not a big fan of Faulconer and he's so-so OK, and I did vote for Paffrath, but you may be right that Faulconer is more qualified experience-wise.

What was embarrassing- and you could even say insulting to us as California residents- was the shit-show list of cranks, whackadoos and assorted nutcases (with a few so-so political types) who ended up on the ballet.  If we're going to make a joke of the process, we might as well just vote for whatshername Boobs-a-Lot-Pink-Lady and really make fools of ourselves.

We must look like idiots to the other states.  Thank goodness for Texas... I guess.  :lol:

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    Larry Elder Claims Widespread Evidence of Him Losing

andy borowitz
    adbook post
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mace1229 said:
    is this covid related? the homeless encampments have been a massive issue in Winnipeg as well. they have grown exponentially in size and in numbers of. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I'm pretty sure this whole recall effort was an attempt to damage him for a future presidential run.  This was his Benghazi hearing.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Well that didn’t go the way the GOP wanted lol the message was cristal clear most sane folks want to be vaccinated & wear masks! Screw Republicans 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Whatever your thoughts are on Newsom (I have none really) or however you usually vote,* how can you not think this recall process is messed up? I don't know the exact numbers, so correct me if I am wrong but after a majority of voters elect a Governor, a few hundred thousand can sign petitions to recall. Then if said governor fails a referendum with 49% voting not to recall, someone with a plurality (possibly like 10% of the vote) can take his place. That's crazy.

*But of course Republicans love it because 1) they are not often going to win the general gubernatorial election and 2) they have big money to pursue the recall option.

Looking at 2003, it doesn't look quite that awful.  Arnold had 48% of the vote and "no" had 44%. At that moment, this reflected the will of a plurality of those who voted in California (though 8% were invalid or blank ballots). I still think my scenario is plausible. Even if it's not, having a "do over" just because deep-pocketed people are unhappy with an election and having a somewhat confusion election at a somewhat random time doesn't seem to be the American Way.

• OnWis97 said:
    Whatever your thoughts are on Newsom (I have none really) or however you usually vote,* how can you not think this recall process is messed up? I don't know the exact numbers, so correct me if I am wrong but after a majority of voters elect a Governor, a few hundred thousand can sign petitions to recall. Then if said governor fails a referendum with 49% voting not to recall, someone with a plurality (possibly like 10% of the vote) can take his place. That's crazy.

*But of course Republicans love it because 1) they are not often going to win the general gubernatorial election and 2) they have big money to pursue the recall option.

Looking at 2003, it doesn't look quite that awful.  Arnold had 48% of the vote and "no" had 44%. At that moment, this reflected the will of a plurality of those who voted in California (though 8% were invalid or blank ballots). I still think my scenario is plausible. Even if it's not, having a "do over" just because deep-pocketed people are unhappy with an election and having a somewhat confusion election at a somewhat random time doesn't seem to be the American Way.

Whatever it is, it sure as shit isn't democracy, that's for sure.