California governor recall election

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Then don’t recall Newsome..vote against the recall.

Either way, quit rewarding these self important asshole who think their politics is more important than getting through this pandemic.

Nova Scotia’s liberal premier called a pandemic election..he had 28 point lead at the start of the campaign and was soundly defeated last night by the Conservatives…good for Nova Scotia.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    brianlux said:
    So, some kind, civic-minded (and bored?) soul on Reddit decided to look into every one of the 46 people who saw fit to place themselves on the ballot. This is California, so every election there is a gaggle of lunatics on the ballot, but the dearth of qualified, non-insane humans this time around really is depressing. For the benefit of @brianlux and anyone else who is thinking about tearing out their hair, here's a link to the Reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/p679i5/platform_notes_on_all_candidates_running_in_the/ 

Read it and vote!

These would be funny if it weren't for the fact that one of these members of The California Recall Election Shit Show might actually become the next governor of a state that has the 5th largest economy in the world... and ranks up there with the highest number of wackos per capita along with places like Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama.  The only difference is the kind of drugs that made these people go out of their minds.

Anybody got a good, halfway sane state I might move to?
    If you consider Illinois, pick the Northern part. I live in the Southern part, and you might as well be in Tennessee or Alabama.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    So, some kind, civic-minded (and bored?) soul on Reddit decided to look into every one of the 46 people who saw fit to place themselves on the ballot. This is California, so every election there is a gaggle of lunatics on the ballot, but the dearth of qualified, non-insane humans this time around really is depressing. For the benefit of @brianlux and anyone else who is thinking about tearing out their hair, here's a link to the Reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/p679i5/platform_notes_on_all_candidates_running_in_the/ 

Read it and vote!

These would be funny if it weren't for the fact that one of these members of The California Recall Election Shit Show might actually become the next governor of a state that has the 5th largest economy in the world... and ranks up there with the highest number of wackos per capita along with places like Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama.  The only difference is the kind of drugs that made these people go out of their minds.

Anybody got a good, halfway sane state I might move to?
    If you consider Illinois, pick the Northern part. I live in the Southern part, and you might as well be in Tennessee or Alabama.

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Reading through the candidates' backgrounds, my husband shook his head and said, there's only one who's remotely qualified and not probably certifiable. That would be our former mayor, of whom we are not big fans.

I get that Newsom rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm having a hard time believing that he is so terrible that we need to put a random wingnut in the governor's office for a year. We would be better off leaving the seat empty. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I received an email today from a GOP group (I was registered R when I lived in CA) and they were pushing sending a mail in vote to recall.....not a single word about picking a replacement.  Guess if the goal is just to get rid of the dumb dumb in place right now that is good messaging.
    (Would seem to make sense to pick who you want to replace before bouncing The Devil You Know....)

Good luck!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Reading through the candidates' backgrounds, my husband shook his head and said, there's only one who's remotely qualified and not probably certifiable. That would be our former mayor, of whom we are not big fans.

I get that Newsom rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm having a hard time believing that he is so terrible that we need to put a random wingnut in the governor's office for a year. We would be better off leaving the seat empty. 

I think a large number of people have some issues with Newsom- I know I'm not 100% fan- but he's done a decent enough job and this is just not the time for this nonsense.  There are so many pressing issues going on right now and this is just a distraction and a waste of money.   It's pathetic.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Really, this is just the craziest process I've ever heard of. Essentially, enough signatures can lead to a recall election where, if the Governor is recalled, an unlimited number of candidates can grab votes and someone with almost no support can be governor. I assume he'll be recalled (I think recalls tend to be successful against anyone but Scott Walker, who got a ton of out-of-state GOP money).  If I'm not mistaken, the last time this happened, Arnold was elected.  But I think he may have had large-scale support. Lots has changed since then and now it's just a bunch of goofballs almost throwing their names into a hat. This promises to end well.

Is this always going to be the pattern? Democratic majority elects a Democrat governor. The next day the GQP starts raising money to get the recall campaign going. The recall is successful and Deanna Lorraine or someone becomes governor for the duration of the term?

MCaliGA
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    We're just looking at the whole mess, saying "You have GOT to be freaking kidding!"

For a long time it was assumed that the recall was a joke and Newsom was safe. Now I'm hearing differently. If you look at the candidate info in the link I posted above, most are just bonkers. There's a "Democrat" with policies that sound like the GOP platform. There's Angelyne. There's a guy who wants to solve the state's water problems by building a pipeline to divert water from the Mississippi River (that's not a typo).

The guy with the platform that sounds most appealing is a recovering drug addict; he used to be a doctor, but I'm guessing (just guessing) that he lost his license due to his substance abuse problems. I'll give him credit for not running away from that part of his story, but sheesh.

I think the California ballot always attracts a bunch of loons, but normally there are 2-3 legitimate candidates as well, so you can giggle at the guy whose profile in the voter info pamphlet just says "search YouTube" and then vote for a serious person. This time the only serious candidate is Kevin Faulconer, former (R) mayor of San Diego. I'm torn between voting for a Republican (I'm centrist, the current incarnation of the GOP is anti-democratic, so, no) or voting for a rando and hoping things don't go to shit in the next year. :-(

Oh, and Cox was served with papers at his event yesterday; something about not paying his bills.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    We're just looking at the whole mess, saying "You have GOT to be freaking kidding!"

For a long time it was assumed that the recall was a joke and Newsom was safe. Now I'm hearing differently. If you look at the candidate info in the link I posted above, most are just bonkers. There's a "Democrat" with policies that sound like the GOP platform. There's Angelyne. There's a guy who wants to solve the state's water problems by building a pipeline to divert water from the Mississippi River (that's not a typo).

The guy with the platform that sounds most appealing is a recovering drug addict; he used to be a doctor, but I'm guessing (just guessing) that he lost his license due to his substance abuse problems. I'll give him credit for not running away from that part of his story, but sheesh.

I think the California ballot always attracts a bunch of loons, but normally there are 2-3 legitimate candidates as well, so you can giggle at the guy whose profile in the voter info pamphlet just says "search YouTube" and then vote for a serious person. This time the only serious candidate is Kevin Faulconer, former (R) mayor of San Diego. I'm torn between voting for a Republican (I'm centrist, the current incarnation of the GOP is anti-democratic, so, no) or voting for a rando and hoping things don't go to shit in the next year. :-(

Oh, and Cox was served with papers at his event yesterday; something about not paying his bills.

Oh for sure, this thing is a joke, a mess, a travesty!

"The guy with the platform that sounds most appealing is a recovering drug addict; he used to be a doctor, but I'm guessing (just guessing) that he lost his license due to his substance abuse problems. I'll give him credit for not running away from that part of his story, but sheesh."

That's the one guy, Ross, I thought maybe I could feel OK about voting for in case Newsom loses.  But I have a problem with this guy and it's not that he was a drug addict.  Who am I to judge?  I was addicted to Xanax for a number of years as a result of a medical condition.  But the way this guy worded his write-up indicates to me that he is not very bright.  He says, "I lost everything after I got hooked on drugs..."  and then a couple sentences later tell us that this was due to a medical condition.    A much better way to have worded all that would have been right from the get-go to say, "Years ago, because of a back injury, I became addicted to pain relievers.  I went through some tough times, but I pulled myself out of that situation and have been a very successful surgeon since then."  The way he words this, right off he sounds like a druggy and a drama king.  He should have mentioned why he was taking medication (not "drugs", duh) right at the outset.  We are going to be more sympathetic to that than just saying "I was a drug addict."  And don't say "narcotics", dude, everyone one knows what pain relievers are- don't make it look worse. 
    Small point, you might say, but I say, no, big point.  If you can't compose a well written single paragraph to support why we should vote for you, you should stay out of politics and stick to your cosmetic surgery.

And he's one of the "brighter" candidates.  It goes WAY down hill from there.
    We are so screwed- for at least the next year, anyway-  if Newsom is ousted.

The main points they make are spot on!

This is a unique election. Here's how it works:

• 1.7 million people signed a petition for a recall, out of 39.51 million Californians. That means the recall was triggered by 4% of all Californians.

• There will be two questions on your ballot

• A YES/NO vote asking if you support the recall

• A vote for the candidate you want to replace Newsom (he is not on this ballot)

• If over 50% vote to recall Newsom, he's out as governor.

• The candidate who gets the most votes will replace him, even if they receive fewer votes than Newsom. The current frontrunner (Larry Elder) is polling at less than 20%, but will replace Newsom if the recall succeeds.

• You can choose a candidate regardless of how you vote on Question #1. Based on current polling and the way the election is set up, we are a coin flip's chance away from having a governor who has pledged to end mask mandates and vaccine mandates in California (source).

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    California loves getting rid of their elected officials...  This is how Arnold got elected.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited August 2021
    California loves getting rid of their elected officials...  This is how Arnold got elected.
    Yeah, I lived there when that happened and voted once for him.  It wasn't the same process, though, it was a runoff if I recall on recalled Grey Davis between Arnold and some other dude 
    Wasn't the same ballot and a choose your own adventure process.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Yeah, I lived there when that happened and voted once for him.  It wasn't the same process, though, it was a runoff if I recall on recalled Grey Davis between Arnold and some other dude 
    Didn't they oust him over doubling the registration fees for cars?  I was in between travel and Cali at that time.

"Choose your own adventure"... :rofl:          

You nailed it!  This whole process is about as grown up as a kids book.  Perfect!

Didn't they oust him over doubling the registration fees for cars?  I was in between travel and Cali at that time.
    I don't remember.  He was a doofus.

That was so long ago, I don't even remember. I lived in CA then, too, and I remember voting against Arnold due to his personal behavior. In retrospect, he seems to have been a decent governor. But I don't remember the random assortment of names, either. This -- it makes me angry just to think about this. It's childish and pointless.
  • California loves getting rid of their elected officials...  This is how Arnold got elected.

Davis was tripling the vehicle registration fees, but skyrocketing electrical bills in the early 2000s contributed to the recall effort. I don't agree with recalls in the absence of corruption or serious criminal activity. California needs to change their recall election criteria. Recalls are a waste of taxpayer money and can be easily turned into a perpetual shitshow. Just wait for the next election to vote out someone you do not like.

I still have not returned my California recall ballot. There are no viable options to choose on the second question in case Newsom gets recalled, but I do not want to leave it blank. What to do. Elder would be a complete disaster for California. Ug!

Davis was tripling the vehicle registration fees, but skyrocketing electrical bills in the early 2000s contributed to the recall effort. I don't agree with recalls in the absence of corruption or serious criminal activity. California needs to change their recall election criteria. Recalls are a waste of taxpayer money and can be easily turned into a perpetual shitshow. Just wait for the next election to vote out someone you do not like.

I still have not returned my California recall ballot. There are no viable options to choose on the second question in case Newsom gets recalled, but I do not want to leave it blank. What to do. Elder would be a complete disaster for California. Ug!

"California needs to change their recall election criteria. Recalls are a waste of taxpayer money..."
    This!  This recall election is going to cost the state $276 million.  Just think of how much control burning to save some of our forests that would buy!  Or vaccines or aid to the homeless or animal rescue or any other worthwhile expenditures.

As for voting on the second question, yes, that's a tough one.  After seeing the debate a week or two ago, I'm fairly certain I'll go with Paffrath.  I don't think he's great and some of his ideas are a bit out there, but overall, to me he seems like the best choice and I like his energy and enthusiasm.  
    I'm not a total Newsom fan by any means, but I'd just as soon see him as anyone else and it's only for another year anyway.  They could have save all this money and trouble and just waited another year until the next election.  This is just another example of how unhinged the Republican party has become.

brianlux said:

"California needs to change their recall election criteria. Recalls are a waste of taxpayer money..."
    This!  This recall election is going to cost the state $276 million.  Just think of how much control burning to save some of our forests that would buy!  Or vaccines or aid to the homeless or animal rescue or any other worthwhile expenditures.

As for voting on the second question, yes, that's a tough one.  After seeing the debate a week or two ago, I'm fairly certain I'll go with Paffrath.  I don't think he's great and some of his ideas are a bit out there, but overall, to me he seems like the best choice and I like his energy and enthusiasm.  
    I'm not a total Newsom fan by any means, but I'd just as soon see him as anyone else and it's only for another year anyway.  They could have save all this money and trouble and just waited another year until the next election.  This is just another example of how unhinged the Republican party has become.

Yeah, I probably will, too. I had considered voting for Faulconer, since he comes closest to having enough experience for doing the job, but since I heard that he voted for T***p in the 2020 election and continues to support him, that's disqualifying.
  • brianlux said:

Yeah, I probably will, too. I had considered voting for Faulconer, since he comes closest to having enough experience for doing the job, but since I heard that he voted for T***p in the 2020 election and continues to support him, that's disqualifying.

Thank you for the responses, Brian and curmudgeoness. I appreciate it. I have not checked out Paffrath, but I will look into him.
    brianlux said:

Thank you for the responses, Brian and curmudgeoness. I appreciate it. I have not checked out Paffrath, but I will look into him.

It's an odd name.  Sometimes I forget how to say it so I just say, Packrat.  :lol: 

Quick reminder about Larry Elder:

1) Thinks our last president was sent by God;

2) Is a mentor to Stephen Miller, and thinks Miller would make a great president.

Ignore the polls; vote!
    MoveOn39s tweet - quotWe can39t let a Republican like Larry Elder be the next  governor of California quot - Trendsmap

Talk about sexist pig:

California gubernatorial recall candidate Larry Elder claimed women 'know less than men' about politics and 'exaggerate the problem of sexism': report

https://www.businessinsider.com/ca-recall-candidate-larry-elder-derogatory-comments-about-women-cnn-2021-8

California gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder made numerous derogatory comments about women over his years as a conservative radio host and columnist, according to a CNN KFile report on Thursday.

As recently as January 2017, Elder suggested women who appeared at the Women's March were too unattractive to be sexually assaulted, per the Los Angeles Times. He also insulted those women as " obese ."

"When you look at all these women that have marched — something like 2 million women — Donald Trump has probably gotten more obese woman off the couch and in the streets, working out, than Michelle Obama did in eight years," he said on an episode of his eponymous radio show, according to CNN.

In a 2000 column, Elder mocked women and claimed they "know less than men about political issues, economics, and current events." 

In a 1996 ad for his radio show, Elder also said women "exaggerate the problem of sexism." The following year, he wrote in a column that premenstrual syndrome "really stands for Punish My Spouse (or Significant Other)" and promoted a 1950s textbook on "How to be a Good Wife" that directed women to "have dinner ready," "clear away the clutter," "touch up your makeup," and to "never complain."

In his 2002 book, titled "Showdown: Confronting Bias, Lies, and the Special Interests that Divide America," Elder expressed support for employers asking women whether and when they plan to get pregnant, otherwise known as pregnancy discrimination, according to a Media Matters for America report.

Elder's campaign office did not immediately return Insider's request for comment.

A California native, Elder announced his campaign on July 12 for the state's upcoming recall election on September 14. Recent polling shows that he leads a crowded field of Republican candidates aiming to unseat incumbent Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom. Elder's GOP opponents have recently attacked him over his history of disparaging remarks toward women.

• As of yesterday, 538 shows Newsom surviving the recall.

As of yesterday, 538 shows Newsom surviving the recall.

I saw that, and I saw that bettors are placing odds of Newsom staying in office at 85%.

I also still twitch when I think about 2016 and 2020 polling and how those elections turned out, so I'll exhale when the votes have been counted.
    As of yesterday, 538 shows Newsom surviving the recall.

I saw that, and I saw that bettors are placing odds of Newsom staying in office at 85%.

I also still twitch when I think about 2016 and 2020 polling and how those elections turned out, so I'll exhale when the votes have been counted.

Yeah, for sure.  The thing is, I KNOW BETTER than to get my hopes up when the polls go the way I hope for, but I can't help seeing them and get my hopes up.  I too will breath easier when the votes are in and (hopefully) so is Newsom.  Again, not that he's the greatest, but the alternative...?
    Shivers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• brianlux said:

Talk about sexist pig:

California gubernatorial recall candidate Larry Elder claimed women 'know less than men' about politics and 'exaggerate the problem of sexism': report

https://www.businessinsider.com/ca-recall-candidate-larry-elder-derogatory-comments-about-women-cnn-2021-8

California gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder made numerous derogatory comments about women over his years as a conservative radio host and columnist, according to a CNN KFile report on Thursday.

As recently as January 2017, Elder suggested women who appeared at the Women's March were too unattractive to be sexually assaulted, per the Los Angeles Times. He also insulted those women as " obese ."

"When you look at all these women that have marched — something like 2 million women — Donald Trump has probably gotten more obese woman off the couch and in the streets, working out, than Michelle Obama did in eight years," he said on an episode of his eponymous radio show, according to CNN.

In a 2000 column, Elder mocked women and claimed they "know less than men about political issues, economics, and current events." 

In a 1996 ad for his radio show, Elder also said women "exaggerate the problem of sexism." The following year, he wrote in a column that premenstrual syndrome "really stands for Punish My Spouse (or Significant Other)" and promoted a 1950s textbook on "How to be a Good Wife" that directed women to "have dinner ready," "clear away the clutter," "touch up your makeup," and to "never complain."

In his 2002 book, titled "Showdown: Confronting Bias, Lies, and the Special Interests that Divide America," Elder expressed support for employers asking women whether and when they plan to get pregnant, otherwise known as pregnancy discrimination, according to a Media Matters for America report.

Elder's campaign office did not immediately return Insider's request for comment.

A California native, Elder announced his campaign on July 12 for the state's upcoming recall election on September 14. Recent polling shows that he leads a crowded field of Republican candidates aiming to unseat incumbent Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom. Elder's GOP opponents have recently attacked him over his history of disparaging remarks toward women.

What a piece of trash.  
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524