California governor recall election

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
This may be of interest to those of you outside of California as well.
I'm not a huge Newsom fan- pretty much split in my opinion of him.  But the alternative, should he lose next months recall election, could see a far right republican put into office.  In liberal California, you say?  Yes, it's very possible. 
"Democratic California governor Gavin Newsom, who could be ousted from his post in a recall election scheduled for September 14, blasted talk-radio host and Republican front-runner Larry Elder as a fringe candidate more right-wing than former President Donald Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/13/politics/gavin-newsom-recall-dianne-feinstein/index.html

It’s the Democrats’ doomsday scenario: California Gov. Gavin Newsom loses his recall race this fall, and a Senate vacancy is later filled by a GOP governor.

And the 50-50 Senate, currently controlled by Democrats, is run again by Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell.

It’s a scenario that Democrats publicly say they’re confident will never happen – but privately, many acknowledge that it’s entirely possible.

Beyond the obvious effect this could have on this state, I think it's also worth noting how close this country is to becoming predominantly controlled by the radically right wing. 

If this can happen in California... need I say more? 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I've seen Elder advertising on TV (on MSNBC!).

There are FORTY-SIX names on the ballot, plus a write-in option (should I run??). ONE person, and only one, is even marginally qualified for the job, and that's former San Diego mayor Faulconer; I'm not endorsing him, I'm saying he's the only person on the ballot who has any business at all running.

California is the world's seventh-largest economy. Anyone who decided to put their name on the ballot for shits and giggles or because they ACTUALLY think they could run this state has disqualified themselves for the role.

That said: Hey, Californians, listen up! Even if you are a die-hard Newsom superfan, you MUST vote, and you MUST vote on both questions! If you don't vote, or if you just vote "no" on the first (recall) question, any random person with any assortment of non-qualifications could be the next governor.

IF Newsom is recalled, the next governor is the person, out of that list of 46, who gets the MOST votes -- not a majority, just the MOST. So in theory, some jackass with a podcast who gets 5% of the vote would be our next governor. Can we please not do that?!?

The recall election is stupid and wasteful, but at this point, voting, on BOTH questions, is essential.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’m hearing it all over the place: those Republicans, those TRUMP Republicans! Complete with hand-wringing. Can’t have them in that position!!

I say if you suck at your job and care more about your image than the state you run, get the fuck OUT.

Oh, and I heard someone call his main opponent, Larry Elder, “Uncle Tom”. They know nothing of the man — he’s not even *gasp* Republican…or radical :lol:

So yeah, I’d love to see that smarmy ineffectual ass gone. Too bad so many have bought into the rhetoric.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594

There are FORTY-SIX names on the ballot, plus a write-in option (should I run??). ONE person, and only one, is even marginally qualified for the job, and that's former San Diego mayor Faulconer; I'm not endorsing him, I'm saying he's the only person on the ballot who has any business at all running.

California is the world's seventh-largest economy. Anyone who decided to put their name on the ballot for shits and giggles or because they ACTUALLY think they could run this state has disqualified themselves for the role.

That said: Hey, Californians, listen up! Even if you are a die-hard Newsom superfan, you MUST vote, and you MUST vote on both questions! If you don't vote, or if you just vote "no" on the first (recall) question, any random person with any assortment of non-qualifications could be the next governor.

IF Newsom is recalled, the next governor is the person, out of that list of 46, who gets the MOST votes -- not a majority, just the MOST. So in theory, some jackass with a podcast who gets 5% of the vote would be our next governor. Can we please not do that?!?

The recall election is stupid and wasteful, but at this point, voting, on BOTH questions, is essential.

"That said: Hey, Californians, listen up! Even if you are a die-hard Newsom superfan, you MUST vote, and you MUST vote on both questions! If you don't vote, or if you just vote "no" on the first (recall) question, any random person with any assortment of non-qualifications could be the next governor."

Excellent point. 

"IF Newsom is recalled, the next governor is the person, out of that list of 46, who gets the MOST votes -- not a majority, just the MOST. So in theory, some jackass with a podcast who gets 5% of the vote would be our next governor. Can we please not do that?!?"

Totally agree.

What pisses me off is that if people don't like Newsom, fine, vote him out next election.  In the meantime, this recall election is costing millions of dollars, dollars that could be much better use to solve other more pressing problems.  People are dying of COVID.  The state is on fire and we are losing parks and public lands and people are losing their homes and livelihoods.  The climate is changing and wrecking havoc in the west.  And these angry right wing people want to spend all that money on a damn recall election?  Get effing real!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I'm agnostic on Newsom, but the wastefulness of this election is pissing me off, too.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited August 2021
    I'm agnostic on Newsom, but the wastefulness of this election is pissing me off, too.

Exactly.  It's a reflection of several modes of thinking that are common today- lack of logic, misappropriation of funds and resources, misplaced priorities, actions ruled by anger instead of reason, a greater willingness to be combative rather than diplomatic.
    All signs of crumbling social order.

brianlux said:

"That said: Hey, Californians, listen up! Even if you are a die-hard Newsom superfan, you MUST vote, and you MUST vote on both questions! If you don't vote, or if you just vote "no" on the first (recall) question, any random person with any assortment of non-qualifications could be the next governor."

Excellent point. 

"IF Newsom is recalled, the next governor is the person, out of that list of 46, who gets the MOST votes -- not a majority, just the MOST. So in theory, some jackass with a podcast who gets 5% of the vote would be our next governor. Can we please not do that?!?"

Totally agree.

What pisses me off is that if people don't like Newsom, fine, vote him out next election.  In the meantime, this recall election is costing millions of dollars, dollars that could be much better use to solve other more pressing problems.  People are dying of COVID.  The state is on fire and we are losing parks and public lands and people are losing their homes and livelihoods.  The climate is changing and wrecking havoc in the west.  And these angry right wing people want to spend all that money on a damn recall election?  Get effing real!

See? Whether you ignored what I wrote (disagree?) or not, it comes back to the same old same old.”Angry right-wing people”. 

Newsom hasn’t wasted money at all. 

Got it. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    is there any billionaire real estate developer running, hotelier. maybe.
    Give Peas A Chance…

It's amazing how many people are running for governor in this recall election.  And some really serious contenders too.  Here's a sampling (and yes, these people are all in the Official Voter Information Guide):

Dan Kapelovitz.    His full official statement: "Can you dig it?"

Jenner is in Australia as deadline passes for recall ballot - Los Angeles  Times

Adam Papagan:  No party.  Full official statement:  "Love U"
    Adam Papagan - Ballotpedia

Angelyne.  That's all.  No last name.  Official statement:  "Angelyne Billboard Queen.  Icon.  Experienced politician."

2021 California Newsom recall voter guide Who is Angelyne  The  Sacramento Bee

hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

See? Whether you ignored what I wrote (disagree?) or not, it comes back to the same old same old.”Angry right-wing people”. 

Got it. 

Sigh...  OK, look, sorry.  I know you hate Newsom.  I know you are feisty and tough (that's cool), and you probably want to go a few rounds, but that's just not what I'm up for here. 
    Around here, we're in the mist of a shit show of anxiety about the bad air and a minimum or two more months more of high fire danger where we are and, no, that's not your problem and I'm not going to make it your problem, dig.  But here's the thing, to my way of thinking, this recall election is a crock of shit that's tying up a lot of time, money, and resources that are badly needed for more important things.
    Some people hate the fucker?  Fine.  Vote for someone else next time.  But right now we need to address these more serious and immediate problems that are going on.
    That's my take.  You have yours.  Cool?  Cool.

brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

Got it. 

Sigh...  OK, look, sorry.  I know you hate Newsom.  I know you are feisty and tough (that's cool), and you probably want to go a few rounds, but that's just not what I'm up for here. 
    Around here, we're in the mist of a shit show of anxiety about the bad air and a minimum or two more months more of high fire danger where we are and, no, that's not your problem and I'm not going to make it your problem, dig.  But here's the thing, to my way of thinking, this recall election is a crock of shit that's tying up a lot of time, money, and resources that are badly needed for more important things.
    Some people hate the fucker?  Fine.  Vote for someone else next time.  But right now we need to address these more serious and immediate problems that are going on.
    I’m always fine with people having their own takes. Apparently not everyone is. 

Contrary to your misguided beliefs, I am not looking to go any “rounds” over this. It doesn’t bother me (or matter) if I’m in the minority on this issue. I simply expected a polite reply to the points I made regarding the hysteria over the recall and those evil angry right-wing Trump Republicans you and others keep mentioning.

Good job. You’ve done your part very well. 
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

Got it. 

I’m always fine with people having their own takes. Apparently not everyone is. 

Contrary to your misguided beliefs, I am not looking to go any “rounds” over this. It doesn’t bother me (or matter) if I’m in the minority on this issue. I simply expected a polite reply to the points I made regarding the hysteria over the recall and those evil angry right-wing Trump Republicans you and others keep mentioning.

Good job. You’ve done your part very well. 

"Contrary to your misguided beliefs..."

See what I mean?  Sorry, I'm gonna have to ignore all your comments on this thread.
    Bye!

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    brianlux said:

It's amazing how many people are running for governor in this recall election.  And some really serious contenders too.  Here's a sampling (and yes, these people are all in the Official Voter Information Guide):

Jenner is in Australia as deadline passes for recall ballot - Los Angeles  Times

Angelyne.  That's all.  No last name.  Official statement:  "Angelyne Billboard Queen.  Icon.  Experienced politician."

If I still lived there, Angelyne would get some consideration.
    Think I may have voted for her in a recall election when I was in CA.  My opinion doesn't matter any longer since I moved away, but CA politics have been a mess for as long as I can remember.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    brianlux said:

If I still lived there, Angelyne would get some consideration.
    Think I may have voted for her in a recall election when I was in CA.  My opinion doesn't matter any longer since I moved away, but CA politics have been a mess for as long as I can remember.

Ahhhh huh.  You've been eying her billboards, haven't you? :lol:         

Angelyne 4 Governor of California

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yeah they made no sense back then, I'm sure they don't now, but her and her silly pink Corvette are LA icons, of sorts.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited August 2021
    Will someone please explain the logic behind this (if you can).
    Here is how this recall election is going to go as explained in the voter guide:
    The recall election happens September 14, 2021
    The ballot will have two question.
    Question 1:  Yes or no, should Governor  Newsom be recalled?
    Question 2:  Pick one of the candidates you prefer in the event that the recall is successful (there are 46 candidates on the ballot, write ins are also allowed)
    You may answer either or both questions.
    If the "no" votes are in the majority, the governor will not be recalled and the count for question #2 is moot and void.
    If the "yes" votes are in the majority, Governor Newsom is recalled and the candidate in question #2 with the most votes becomes the new governor.

OK, got that?
    Now, here's what baffles me beyond belief:  A statement (see link below) from the California Democratic Party was tweeted as follows:
    "How to Vote in the Recall Election:  Vote No on the first question.  Leave the second question BLANK."

OK, obviously the Dem party wants the recall to fail.  But republicans are coming out in force to try to pass the recall and oust Newsom.  If the "yes" votes win and enough democrats fail to answer question #2, as advised, the outcome will be Newsom out, and a new governor will be in- likely a far right republican-  and could do so with as low as 5% to 20% of the total vote.

What kind of insanity is this?  WTF is the California Democratic Party thinking?  Where is the logic in leaving question #2 BLANK???

Post edited by brianlux on

<<What kind of insanity is this?  WTF is the California Democratic Party thinking?  Where is the logic in leaving question #2 BLANK???>>

That's a good question. Apparently they discouraged any legitimate Dem candidates from running because they didn't want it to look like they did not support Newsom. So here we are with a veritable clown car of candidates, instead.

<<What kind of insanity is this?  WTF is the California Democratic Party thinking?  Where is the logic in leaving question #2 BLANK???>>

That's a good question. Apparently they discouraged any legitimate Dem candidates from running because they didn't want it to look like they did not support Newsom. So here we are with a veritable clown car of candidates, instead.

Yep, and the republican base is working hard to see this recall go through and if it does, we will end up with a far right governor elected by a small minority of voters.  The risk the Ca. Dem Party is taking on this is HUGE and unnecessary.  AND if Newsom is recalled and a far right governor takes his place, the Dems could lose Feinstein's Dem Senate seat in 2022.  And then beyond to 2024?  What then? 

Wake up Dems, Too many on the left are asleep and too many on the far right are pushing their crazed religion and anti democracy/ anti environment down our throats. 

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    edited August 2021
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

If I owned a business and felt I was unnecessarily closed while he spent thousands dinning out and telling me I can't, and as a result have struggled financially this year, I'd probably want to recall now and not wait until the next election. Right or left wing. 
    If its only right wing angry people who want him out, it wont be enough to recall. We'll find out in a month if that's the case or not.

edited August 2021
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

If I owned a business and felt I was unnecessarily closed while he spent thousands dinning out and telling me I can't, and as a result have struggled financially this year, I'd probably want to recall now and not wait until the next election. Right or left wing. 
    If its only right wing angry people who want him out, it wont be enough to recall. We'll find out in a month if that's the case or not.

One stupid move?  Name any politician who hasn't.  And if you have a problem with that expense (yes, it was wasteful), think about how much this recall is costing.  MILLIONS!  When we need the money to fight fires, fight COVID, save lives!  So much for that argument.
    Logic!

I get some of the dissatisfaction, but the alternative?  Fuggedaboutit!
    No better choices at this time!

If I owned a business and the building it was housed and that building was on fire and my employees were having health issues from COVID and smoke inhalation, I would put out the fire, ramp up the medical help and then look into getting a new manager.
    More  logic!  Priorities! 

mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

The optics on that were poor, no doubt, and I'm not going to try to excuse it.

California is solidly blue, but, as always, turnout is key. People who are angry at Newsom will be motivated to vote. Others? I don't know. But if Newsom is recalled and someone else is elected with a small percentage of the vote, my guess is we will have some big problems well before mid-terms.

edited August 2021
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

The optics on that were poor, no doubt, and I'm not going to try to excuse it.

California is solidly blue, but, as always, turnout is key. People who are angry at Newsom will be motivated to vote. Others? I don't know. But if Newsom is recalled and someone else is elected with a small percentage of the vote, my guess is we will have some big problems well before mid-terms.

Yes, I think so.
    And the timing.  We're one year away from the gubernatorial election in California.  Instead of focusing on the current extreme problems that require our attention and resources, all of this time, energy and expense is being diverted at something that will probably resolve itself in Nov. of '22 anyway.*    Fools.  What a sham. 

(*I don't see Newsom being re-elected and he can kiss off his presidential hopes as well.)

Post edited by brianlux on

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

I didn’t say he should be recalled because he went to dinner. I’m just saying if I had a business in California that I thought was unnecessarily struggling that would be a pretty big deal to me. If it was just the right wing who wanted him out that wouldn’t be enough votes, especially in California. I don’t live in California anymore so it doesn’t impact me as much and I don’t remember every covid restriction he made, but He’s obviously made a lot more than just the far right upset.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Excellent point. 

Totally agree.

I didn’t say he should be recalled because he went to dinner. I’m just saying if I had a business in California that I thought was unnecessarily struggling that would be a pretty big deal to me. If it was just the right wing who wanted him out that wouldn’t be enough votes, especially in California. I don’t live in California anymore so it doesn’t impact me as much and I don’t remember every covid restriction he made, but He’s obviously made a lot more than just the far right upset.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Yeah, he's made some blunders, for sure.  But the thing is, this is a Republican recall (it has even been officially designated as such).  If Dems come out in big numbers, the recall will lose.  The problem with California Dems is the take things for granted.  They fall asleep under a spell of assuming this is a liberal state so "don't worry, it will all work out".  If they sleep through this, we are all screwed.

WAKE UP, DEMS!

So, some kind, civic-minded (and bored?) soul on Reddit decided to look into every one of the 46 people who saw fit to place themselves on the ballot. This is California, so every election there is a gaggle of lunatics on the ballot, but the dearth of qualified, non-insane humans this time around really is depressing. For the benefit of @brianlux and anyone else who is thinking about tearing out their hair, here's a link to the Reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/p679i5/platform_notes_on_all_candidates_running_in_the/ 

Read it and vote!
    So, some kind, civic-minded (and bored?) soul on Reddit decided to look into every one of the 46 people who saw fit to place themselves on the ballot. This is California, so every election there is a gaggle of lunatics on the ballot, but the dearth of qualified, non-insane humans this time around really is depressing. For the benefit of @brianlux and anyone else who is thinking about tearing out their hair, here's a link to the Reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/p679i5/platform_notes_on_all_candidates_running_in_the/ 

Read it and vote!

These would be funny if it weren't for the fact that one of these members of The California Recall Election Shit Show might actually become the next governor of a state that has the 5th largest economy in the world... and ranks up there with the highest number of wackos per capita along with places like Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama.  The only difference is the kind of drugs that made these people go out of their minds.

Anybody got a good, halfway sane state I might move to?

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I think Vote for newsome…he did not want a pandemic election.

in Canada people need to vote the PM out who called an unnecessary pandemic election…
    Give Peas A Chance…

in Canada people need to vote the PM out who called an unnecessary pandemic election…

We can't write him in, though. If he's recalled, he's just gone.

We can't write him in, though. If he's recalled, he's just gone.

I have read that we can write in anyone, even Newsom. 
    My wife wants to write in Arnold.  I told her that he's probably content with his bicycle ride and cigars and wouldn't want the job again even if he could have it.
    Sure will be glad when this ridiculous fiasco is over (and hopefully let Newsom finish out his term.)

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin