DMB doing live concerts this summer outdoors - why not Pearl Jam ???

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    JimmyV said:
    A summer of Pearl Jam playing a DMB schedule might be my new bucket list dream. 
    It'll never happen... those days are long gone.  DMB is fundamentally an old school jam band.  They like doing 40 shows in summer.  It's really crazy the schedule they keep, especially considering that Carter is now in his 60's, and I can't even imagine how many times he hits the drums in a show.  He's already slowing down a bit too.  His fills are not as intense as in his heyday, but still amazing.  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    It'll never happen... those days are long gone.  DMB is fundamentally an old school jam band.  They like doing 40 shows in summer.  It's really crazy the schedule they keep, especially considering that Carter is now in his 60's, and I can't even imagine how many times he hits the drums in a show.  He's already slowing down a bit too.  His fills are not as intense as in his heyday, but still amazing.  
    Agreed, but it's still fun to dream. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    edited April 2021
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed, but it's still fun to dream. 
    I dream of a club tour!  10C members only, you get the show closest to your zip code.  I doubt that's possible for major urban areas, but dreaming too. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    on2legs said:

I saw Dave with a buddy in Camden like 7 or 8 years ago.  We were on the rail and my buddy got attacked by a drunk who mistook him for someone else.  My buddy was just defending himself and I was trying to pull the dude off and security tossed all of us.  Although they were at least very kind and courteous to us about it and even apologetic once they got the whole story. But it was near the end of the show so we missed the last couple songs and the show was almost over before they sorted it out so there was no point in going back down to the floor. 
    Ah, Camden. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Vaccines are widely available and the vast majority of people who want them will be fully vaccinated by Memorial Day. Planning a tour is complicated so I wouldn't begrudge any band touring or not - there are many factors. But any bozo carrying on that summer tours in the US are unsafe should be spending more time with a therapist than on the internet. 
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    pjl44 said:
    Vaccines are widely available and the vast majority of people who want them will be fully vaccinated by Memorial Day. Planning a tour is complicated so I wouldn't begrudge any band touring or not - there are many factors. But any bozo carrying on that summer tours in the US are unsafe should be spending more time with a therapist than on the internet. 
    Well said!  You have a .008% chance if getting Covid once vaccinated and if you win that lottery there have not been any serious symptoms to date.  There will be major festivals and outdoor shows by the end of summer, including Ohana.  
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    pjl44 said:
    Cases are increasing again in almost half of states, and it’s a disaster in parts of Canada.  The University of Washington is predicting another 58k US covid deaths by August 1 based on the current trajectories of all variables including vaccination.  See you in September, as the song goes.  

-Bozo

PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    edited April 2021
    pjl44 said:
    Cases are increasing again in almost half of states, and it’s a disaster in parts of Canada.  The University of Washington is predicting another 58k US covid deaths by August 1 based on the current trajectories of all variables including vaccination.  See you in September, as the song goes.  

-Bozo

If you're vaccinated, you're safe. If you choose not to be vaccinated, go to events at your own risk. Your mish mashing of countries and actual vs. "predicted" data is fearmongering. That contributes to vaccine hesitancy. 
    I'm fully vaccinated and going to an indoor concert in May. Festival in July and more indoor shows in the fall. If more shows pop up soon, I'm in. It ain't complicated. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    The fan club message board you are on is for a band of bozos.  (Aka people who are concerned about the health of others, even people who do not have the vaccine.)

- Bozo #xxx468

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    The fan club message board you are on is for a band of bozos.  (Aka people who are concerned about the health of others, even people who do not have the vaccine.)

- Bozo #xxx468

So no shows until the unvaccinated get sick on their own and get immunity that way? Respect your opinion over the last year but also curious on when you think shows can happen again. I feel like those that are ok with just not seeing concerts anytime soon look at this differently than those that are really itching to get back and both sides have tunnel vision sometimes. 
    The prediction I quoted is not my own but that of the professionals at UW whose model has been, sadly, very accurate to date.  I am climbing the walls waiting for a chance to see PJ again.  I have a pile of tickets longer than my arm.  It will be safe in the fall, hopefully.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    edited April 2021
    PJNB said:

- Bozo #xxx468

So no shows until the unvaccinated get sick on their own and get immunity that way? Respect your opinion over the last year but also curious on when you think shows can happen again. I feel like those that are ok with just not seeing concerts anytime soon look at this differently than those that are really itching to get back and both sides have tunnel vision sometimes. 
    Well my strong reaction was to his dumbass post saying people thinking it could be unsafe this summer should see therapists.  Not sure if he was drinking and posting, certainly have been guilty of that myself plenty, but that is just an idiotic position to take.

The assumption that this is about how badly I (or others) want to see concerts is one that I think misses the point.  I really do want to see people and see concerts very much.  I haven't seen my mom since 2019 - some things are more important.
    The concerns can go beyond concerts and extend to the concern over lives being impacted by the virus.
    I don't think watching music or sports (two things I really miss) should ever be weighted over public safety.  

I'm not any expert in when this can be safe, I don't even pretent to be.  The numbers are really not good in many areas right now so until those improve my opinion is that concerts are not something that should be happening without different levels of precaution.  Same with ballgames with fan attendance....space people out and be safe and I think it is fine.  Ignore the pandemic like Texas and I think it is playing with fire.

We can have different opinions....this is an area I think Pearl Jam will approach with an abundance of caution.  My guess is that Pearl Jam doesn't play any GA shows this year and if they do play any seated events that it happens with some special rules in place....which is overall to say I would guess that Pearl Jam will not play shows until 2022

Hope I am wrong with my guesses and that they feel things are safe to move ahead this year.  I feel they will make good decisions in this area so if they decide to play things will be better.

Saying people who are concerned it is unsafe this summer should see therapists is asinine.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PJNB said:

- Bozo #xxx468

Well my strong reaction was to his dumbass post saying people thinking it could be unsafe this summer should see therapists.  Not sure if he was drinking and posting, certainly have been guilty of that myself plenty, but that is just an idiotic position to take.

The assumption that this is about how badly I (or others) want to see concerts is one that I think misses the point.  I really do want to see people and see concerts very much.  I haven't seen my mom since 2019 - some things are more important.
    The concerns can go beyond concerts and extend to the concern over lives being impacted by the virus.
    I don't think watching music or sports (two things I really miss) should ever be weighted over public safety.  

I'm not any expert in when this can be safe, I don't even pretent to be.  The numbers are really not good in many areas right now so until those improve my opinion is that concerts are not something that should be happening without different levels of precaution.  Same with ballgames with fan attendance....space people out and be safe and I think it is fine.  Ignore the pandemic like Texas and I think it is playing with fire.

We can have different opinions....this is an area I think Pearl Jam will approach with an abundance of caution.  My guess is that Pearl Jam doesn't play any GA shows this year and if they do play any seated events that it happens with some special rules in place....which is overall to say I would guess that Pearl Jam will not play shows until 2022

Hope I am wrong with my guesses and that they feel things are safe to move ahead this year.  I feel they will make good decisions in this area so if they decide to play things will be better.

Saying people who are concerned it is unsafe this summer should see therapists is asinine.
    Bozo therapist and professor working closely with top state physicians checking in. Good luck everyone. That’s my final comment on the matter. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited April 2021

PJNB said:

- Bozo #xxx468

I do not think people here for the most part are desperate to go back to unsafe shows and if they are they really can not be part of a productive discussion on the matter. That is strong language about this summer with the therapist and asinine but I think for those that are vaccinated in the US outdoor shows would be safe this summer. 

I just see with the vaccine being as strong and effective as it is and you have the majority of the population (all that want it) being vaccinated the risks for those that made the wise choice is minimal, herd immunity or not. I do not wish to have my family and I restricted still because a bunch of people want to hold out for a better vaccine or no vaccine at all. I am not saying day 1 when I am fully vaccinated I should do as I please. I get the wait for the rest of the population to catch up but once they catch up are we really still going to have restrictions in place due to antivaxxers? I hope not. 

Also with regards to not seeing your mom, yes that is more important obviously but if we can go to concerts again safely seeing your mom would have been allowed before that too so its a win win.  

edit: I also think you are probably right with PJ and 2021. I do not see anything added to this year unexpectedly in a limited capacity format. Either we get the two fests and maybe a couple of more added or we get nothing until Jan 2022. I am still holding out hope for a Nov-Dec spring 2020 make up date tour but know that is very unlikely. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
    If the vaccine meant that people could not still carry and transmit COVID then I could see people being able to do what they please....but they can still spread it.
    Also, I very much hope everyone that wants to get fully vaccinated by memorial day can do so but I think that is still wishful thinking.

We will see how things play out.  Hope I'm wrong.

People speaking definitively about this have not learned much from the past year +. (That is not you or all people hoping to be back at shows soon, more those who keep saying it WILL happen.)

Still haven't found anyone to bet me with big odds from the "ohana is definitely happening" crowd....not the "SHN is absolutely happening" few.

Hope PJ shows and DMB shows can safely happen soon for all who want them.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    I have tickets for the Black Crowes at an outdoor amphitheater the last day of July. If vaccinations continue at the rate they are, I do think it is possible for the show to go on. No guarantee though. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Fingers crossed that things improve so we can have a safe outdoor show in the fall.  But more importantly, I’m hopeful because it will mean that the country as a whole is in a much better place if we are able to attend a show.  If not... 2022 will be epic!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Manu117Manu117 Burlington VT Posts: 105
    For what it's worth, My Chemical Romance postponed their fall 2021 tour to fall 2022. The dates and venues they are playing are also more comparable to PJ than DMB. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,984
    The question of safety notwithstanding, I think a significant barrier to Pearl Jam touring outdoor venues in 2021 is that they have shows at indoor venues which have yet to be rescheduled from 2020, and for which they are holding large sums of money from ticketholders.  (I'm not implying that this is inappropriate; refunds were available to those who wanted them.)  Nevertheless, it would create bad feelings if the band were to keep holding that money without rescheduling the postponed shows while simultaneously scheduling new shows and collecting new money.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    What this board was missing was another thread to fight about covid.

When can we go back to bitching about our seat allocation or win/loss in the 10c lottery?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    What this board was missing was another thread to fight about covid.

When can we go back to bitching about our seat allocation or win/loss in the 10c lottery?
    When Covid stops being an issue.
    Until then those topics don't matter
      :lol:.     
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    BF25394 said:
    The question of safety notwithstanding, I think a significant barrier to Pearl Jam touring outdoor venues in 2021 is that they have shows at indoor venues which have yet to be rescheduled from 2020, and for which they are holding large sums of money from ticketholders.  (I'm not implying that this is inappropriate; refunds were available to those who wanted them.)  Nevertheless, it would create bad feelings if the band were to keep holding that money without rescheduling the postponed shows while simultaneously scheduling new shows and collecting new money.

I think Stone was clear about the postponed shows being the first priority.
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    If the vaccine meant that people could not still carry and transmit COVID then I could see people being able to do what they please....but they can still spread it.
    Also, I very much hope everyone that wants to get fully vaccinated by memorial day can do so but I think that is still wishful thinking.

People speaking definitively about this have not learned much from the past year +. (That is not you or all people hoping to be back at shows soon, more those who keep saying it WILL happen.)

Still haven't found anyone to bet me with big odds from the "ohana is definitely happening" crowd....not the "SHN is absolutely happening" few.

First, I totally respect the safety and health of everyone.  That is obviously most important.  With that said, I'm happy to take your offer for a bet on Ohana happening.  I'm purely following the science as I make some of my living by doing this, and this vaccine is extremely effective (infection rates once vaccinated are .008%. or one in 12,500).  I think unfortunately there are many misconceptions about the vaccine (not working against variants, people who are vaccinate still spreading the virus, etc.) that are not necessarily correct.  Anyway, everyone should be vaccinated that wants one in 6 weeks, that gives us 4 months until Ohana - I think we are good to go.  
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
    Get_Right said:
    BF25394 said:

I think Stone was clear about the postponed shows being the first priority.
    I took it as they have stuff that comes before the make up shows meaning the fests potentially this fall and then maybe Australia early winter. Who knows though how accurate any of this stuff is coming from them. 

"I think we'll probably be on the road. I mean, my hope is that we'll start playing some shows in the fall or early winter. I don't know what they're gonna be or when they're gonna be, but that's my hope. And after that, we've got a lot of makeup shows to do. We've got a lot of work to do."
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    It’s precious how some fans have decided it’s time because they are personally ready. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    It’s precious how some fans have decided it’s time because they are personally ready. 
    Exceptional, even. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    TH113769 said:

First, I totally respect the safety and health of everyone.  That is obviously most important.  With that said, I'm happy to take your offer for a bet on Ohana happening.  I'm purely following the science as I make some of my living by doing this, and this vaccine is extremely effective (infection rates once vaccinated are .008%. or one in 12,500).  I think unfortunately there are many misconceptions about the vaccine (not working against variants, people who are vaccinate still spreading the virus, etc.) that are not necessarily correct.  Anyway, everyone should be vaccinated that wants one in 6 weeks, that gives us 4 months until Ohana - I think we are good to go.  

Sweet!
    Will you give me 10 to 1?
    I'll bet you a hundred at those odds.
    I offered in that thread when multiple people were expressing that Ohana would happen for sure but nobody would back up their certainty and take the easy money on a sure thing.

You in?

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Step up? Are you kidding me? 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    TH113769 said:

To the person claiming the infection rate is 1/12500, how does that jive with the 6/100 that would be the assumption based on the claimed 94% effectiveness of Moderna for example?