Options

DMB doing live concerts this summer outdoors - why not Pearl Jam ???

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,625
    Yeah and they left off Monkey Man, which I really dig. 
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah and they left off Monkey Man, which I really dig. 

Great tune
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    Song is poised for a comeback
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,837
    So for the most part lillywhite became busted stuff?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes.  They went back into the studio and re-recorded, changed some lyrics and polished it up.  Most fans like the Lillywhite versions better.  They feel raw and live.  I definitely like the Lillywhite better.  Since it's not for sale, feel free to PM me and I'll send you a link to the FLAC. 
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mcgruff10 said:

The Lilywhite Sessions were just that, studio sessions with producer Steve Lillywhite and songs that they had been playing on the road as well as some new ideas. 

The band decided to scrap all of that and work with Glen Ballard and put out Everyday instead. 

Busted Stuff, as mrsussel said, is a chunk of the LWS songs but re-recorded and a more polished (for better or worse) production.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    Jumb0 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Random fact about myself: bartender is one of my all time favorite songs.  I m thinking top five.  

Bartender from The Lillywhite Sessions is the best thing the band has ever recorded. 
    Is there a difference between this and what was recorded for busted stuff?

Yes. All of the the LWS songs that made it to Busted Stuff were re-recorded. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef4pG0wM0NA&ab_channel=SteelyDan
    Lillywhite Sessions much darker than Busted Stuff and DMBs best album 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    At a wedding reception or engagement party for the CEO of Real Media. this was back in 04? 05? Dave and his solo album band (minus Trey from Phish) played. Ed did a few solo songs in the middle of the DM set and then they played a song or 2 together acoustically.

My brother has been in Dave’s fan club so long that he only gets 1st or 2nd row tickets. I’ll see if one of his cohorts has a copy
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    He won’t. It’s never made it out (if it was even recorded). Been on DMB and DMB adjacent boards since 2000 and have never seen it pop up. Hell there was barely any talk of it happening. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Busted Stuff is a fantastic album. Under appreciated in my opinion. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    edited April 2021
    Listened to Lillywhite this afternoon at my desk. Fantastic. I love me some Busted Stuff, too. Hard to say which is better. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Listened to Lillywhite this afternoon at my desk. Fantastic. I love me some Busted Stuff, too. Hard to say which is better. 
    I think for me,  it's Lilly maybe simply because it was there first.  So you get used to one thing. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,739
    Prob not the direction the OP thought this would go lol. 

Started listening to DMB in the late 90's. The bar we would sneak into when we were 18 would always play Crash at the end of the night. That was my first memory of the band and would love to see them play someday. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,468
    I feel like Sept. will be the real opening month for shows.
    I'm still holding floors for DMB in September. Right now, to drive 3 hours away to the show is illegal. What a whirlwind a quick turn about would be!
  • Options
    Guys. We listing out top 10 DMB songs? 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Crush and...  the orchestrated string version ontop of "gravedigger when you dig my grave can you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?" -never had a chance to catch him sing that latter ditty. What will you say to the gravedigger?

How bout u Timmy? Faves?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,184
    Cry Freedom.
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    Cry Freedom.
    Recently
  • Options
    Showbiz78Showbiz78 Posts: 39
    I just dug out my wife’s burned copy of Lilly white sessions, and set a ticket alert for uncasville. Thanks y’all 
    PJ has a different concert formula than DMB, never been the same never will be. Whenever they’re back, we all win the lottery. The figurative lottery of course, not the ticket lottery 
  • Options
    Recently... Drunken Soldier
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    If there was a thread that deserved to be derailed, this thread would get my vote. 

Never a big DMB fan, but always loved the vibes of Don't Drink the Water & Halloween. 
  • Options
    If there was a thread that deserved to be derailed, this thread would get my vote. 

Never a big DMB fan, but always loved the vibes of Don't Drink the Water & Halloween. 
    Two solid songs for sure.  I m a big fan of drive in drive out, tripping billies and lie in our graves.  
    I did it is easily one of his worst songs.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Grace is Gone

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 437
    Mo*s can we kill this threa* please? *y ex is a *** fanatic, trying to eli*inate those 3 letters fro* *y existence, please an* thank you.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Mo*s can we kill this threa* please? *y ex is a *** fanatic, trying to eli*inate those 3 letters fro* *y existence, please an* thank you.
    Ha ha. My ex wife is a huge dmb fan. I have mixed feelings about listening to him because he was such a big part of my life in the “dark days”.  We would see dmb two or three times a tour from 99-08.   
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 437
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ha ha. My ex wife is a huge dmb fan. I have mixed feelings about listening to him because he was such a big part of my life in the “dark days”.  We would see dmb two or three times a tour from 99-08.   
    Lol I hear ya. Ex is a fanatic. 70 shows, his autograph tattooed on her arm, named her son after the drummer. I was never a fan of his music. Saw him live once, thought it was awful, seats were behind the stage, but they were free, so I can't complain too much I suppose.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    You Never Know
    Seek Up
    Lie In Our Graves
    One Sweet World
    Kill The King
    Typical Situation
    Pig
    Cigarette Lit
    Lying In The Hands of God

probably my top 10 in no order. Maybe the Stone instead of KtK.
  • Options
    You Never Know
    Seek Up
    Lie In Our Graves
    One Sweet World
    Kill The King
    Typical Situation
    Pig
    Cigarette Lit
    Lying In The Hands of God

probably my top 10 in no order. Maybe the Stone instead of KtK.
    No order:

Recently
    Song that Jane Likes
    The Stone
    Proudest Monkey
    Last Stop
    Raven
    Captain
    Minarets
    Big Eyed Fish

I didn't used to love LITHOG, but now they are giving Buddy the solo time before Dave comes back, and I am really digging it live. 
  • Options
    Minarets live at Luther is one of my all time favorites.  
  • Options
    I feel like Sept. will be the real opening month for shows.
    That's what I thought too, and then the MCR tickets I had got delayed until 2022 lol