Options

DMB doing live concerts this summer outdoors - why not Pearl Jam ???

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PJNB said:
    The fan club message board you are on is for a band of bozos.  (Aka people who are concerned about the health of others, even people who do not have the vaccine.)

- Bozo #xxx468

So no shows until the unvaccinated get sick on their own and get immunity that way? Respect your opinion over the last year but also curious on when you think shows can happen again. I feel like those that are ok with just not seeing concerts anytime soon look at this differently than those that are really itching to get back and both sides have tunnel vision sometimes. 
    Other people have already addressed the main part of your message, but I just want to point out that you make a flawed assumption here as well.  The bolded assumes there are only "those who are ok just not seeing concerts anytime soon" and "those that are really itching to get back [to concerts]", as if those are the only 2 ways to feel about it.  They're not.

There are MANY of us here, who are itching to get back, but NOT itching to do it in a risky way.  We can all argue until the damn cows come home about "what is safe" and "what is too risky", but feeling like it's not yet safe enough is NOT equal to not itching to get back to shows.  I have plenty of friends (myself included) who can't wait for the 1st show, and can't wait for a few events we hope are happening.  But we also want the bands, promoters, public health departments, and anyone else key to these decision to choose wisely, and if it is deemed too risky postpone or cancel.

Don't assume those of us "itching to go back" can't also be worried about whether it's safe to go back.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    edited April 2021
    TH113769 said:
    If the vaccine meant that people could not still carry and transmit COVID then I could see people being able to do what they please....but they can still spread it.
    Also, I very much hope everyone that wants to get fully vaccinated by memorial day can do so but I think that is still wishful thinking.

We will see how things play out.  Hope I'm wrong.

People speaking definitively about this have not learned much from the past year +. (That is not you or all people hoping to be back at shows soon, more those who keep saying it WILL happen.)

Still haven't found anyone to bet me with big odds from the "ohana is definitely happening" crowd....not the "SHN is absolutely happening" few.

Hope PJ shows and DMB shows can safely happen soon for all who want them.

First, I totally respect the safety and health of everyone.  That is obviously most important.  With that said, I'm happy to take your offer for a bet on Ohana happening.  I'm purely following the science as I make some of my living by doing this, and this vaccine is extremely effective (infection rates once vaccinated are .008%. or one in 12,500).  I think unfortunately there are many misconceptions about the vaccine (not working against variants, people who are vaccinate still spreading the virus, etc.) that are not necessarily correct.  Anyway, everyone should be vaccinated that wants one in 6 weeks, that gives us 4 months until Ohana - I think we are good to go.  
    To the person claiming the infection rate is 1/12500, how does that jive with the 6/100 that would be the assumption based on the claimed 94% effectiveness of Moderna for example?
    While I have no clue if those numbers are right Infection rates and the efficacy or effectiveness of a vaccine are different. 

If a vaccine's efficacy rate is 95 percent, you might assume that 5 out of every 100 people vaccinated people will get sick. But that's not how the math works. The actual percentage of vaccinated people who got COVID-19 in both the Pfizer and Moderna clinical trials was far smaller — just around 0.4 percent.

Efficacy is actually calculated by comparing people in a trial who got the vaccine to people who got the placebo, Wald says. So if you received the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, “whatever your chance was [of getting COVID-19] before, it's now 95 percent less.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/coronavirus-after-vaccination.html

I wonder how many people look at those numbers and think that is the odds of them catching covid after getting vaccinated. I bet a lot of people do. 

Thread integrity. I would love to see DMB at some point in the next couple of years but they are not playing anywhere until the governments tell him its good to go. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    This person also seems to insinuate that people who are vaccinated cannot spread the virus, which is erroneous if that is what they are saying.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    TH113769TH113769 Posts: 436
    TH113769 said:
    If the vaccine meant that people could not still carry and transmit COVID then I could see people being able to do what they please....but they can still spread it.
    Also, I very much hope everyone that wants to get fully vaccinated by memorial day can do so but I think that is still wishful thinking.

People speaking definitively about this have not learned much from the past year +. (That is not you or all people hoping to be back at shows soon, more those who keep saying it WILL happen.)

Still haven't found anyone to bet me with big odds from the "ohana is definitely happening" crowd....not the "SHN is absolutely happening" few.

First, I totally respect the safety and health of everyone.  That is obviously most important.  With that said, I'm happy to take your offer for a bet on Ohana happening.  I'm purely following the science as I make some of my living by doing this, and this vaccine is extremely effective (infection rates once vaccinated are .008%. or one in 12,500).  I think unfortunately there are many misconceptions about the vaccine (not working against variants, people who are vaccinate still spreading the virus, etc.) that are not necessarily correct.  Anyway, everyone should be vaccinated that wants one in 6 weeks, that gives us 4 months until Ohana - I think we are good to go.  

Sweet!
    Will you give me 10 to 1?
    I'll bet you a hundred at those odds.
    I offered in that thread when multiple people were expressing that Ohana would happen for sure but nobody would back up their certainty and take the easy money on a sure thing.

You in?

I'm not giving 10 to 1 odds.  I thought you wanted to do an even bet - sorry, didn't see the other thread.  I will give you 2-1 though.  Good odds if you are convinced it isn't happening.  
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • Options
    This person also seems to insinuate that people who are vaccinated cannot spread the virus, which is erroneous if that is what they are saying.
    “If you can’t get infected, you can’t infect anyone else, which means the vaccines can reduce transmission as well as the disease,” said Marm Kilpatrick, an infectious diseases researcher at the University of California, Santa Cruz,
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    TH113769 said:
    “If you can’t get infected, you can’t infect anyone else, which means the vaccines can reduce transmission as well as the disease,” said Marm Kilpatrick, an infectious diseases researcher at the University of California, Santa Cruz,
    But you can get Covid if you are vaccinated.  I wish you could not but you can.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    TH113769 said:
    TH113769 said:

Sweet!
    I offered in that thread when multiple people were expressing that Ohana would happen for sure but nobody would back up their certainty and take the easy money on a sure thing.

You in?

I'm not giving 10 to 1 odds.  I thought you wanted to do an even bet - sorry, didn't see the other thread.  I will give you 2-1 though.  Good odds if you are convinced it isn't happening.  
    Sorry, I know you didn't post in that thread - the call for big odds was due to people presenting as only idiots didn't understand that the concerts were going to happen.  If they were so sure it would be an easy bet.
    Not interested in a close bet....I hope I'm wrong.  Don't want to root for this to remain a problem.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    TH113769 said:
    TH113769 said:

Sweet!

You in?

Sorry, I know you didn't post in that thread - the call for big odds was due to people presenting as old idiots didn't understand that the concerts were going to happen.  If they were so sure it would be an easy bet.
    Not interested in a close bet....I hope I'm wrong.  Don't want to root for this to remain a problem.
    No problem at all for not betting  I don't think anyone is an idiot - everyone's opinion is respected. My opinion is that we, as a country, have done of poor job of educating people on how well these vaccines are actually working and therefore people should get vaccinated and wipe this thing out.  Fortunately, I live in AZ and things are pretty damn normal.  We see local shows in clubs, eat out, drink at bars, etc.  Everyone I know seems to be vaccinated and there is massive vaccine supply for anyone 16+ years old.  I check almost daily to make sure I could make a vaccine appt just to see what supply is like.  

Now for Ohana, I really think we start seeing massive better data very soon as things will be "back to normal" in late summer, hence the festival will go on.  I'm going to stay positive, positive!  Stay safe and healthy everyone.  

• Options
    E-G-A-GE-G-A-G Posts: 228
    What this board was missing was another thread to fight about covid.

When can we go back to bitching about our seat allocation or win/loss in the 10c lottery?
    When Covid stops being an issue.
    Until then those topics don't matter
      :lol:.     
    #Gutted =)
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    edited April 2021
    drfox said:
    Aren’t Pearl Jam a significantly more popular band than DMB? I know here in Europe no one has heard of DMB. I only ever heard of them a couple of years ago. Not really famous like PJ, Foo Fighters etc. Assume DMB will play to smaller crowds unlike massive shows for PJ
    DMB is arguably WAY more popular than Pearl Jam. People know they’re around, people still wonder if Pearl Jam had an album after Vitalogy
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    And most people can't name a DMB album after Everyday. and lets be honest, its not like they've put out a record since then that really rocked fans worlds, let alone the larger population. 

Having been a massive fan of both in my 42 years (I went from hardcore PJ in early mid 90s to hardcore DMB in the mid 90s to early 00s) , I would say they are equally as popular. DMB just plays more shows and thus, to more fans. Either way, both bands are massively successful 30 years later and sell out pretty much every show in massive places.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    And most people can't name a DMB album after Everyday. and lets be honest, its not like they've put out a record since then that really rocked fans worlds, let alone the larger population. 

Having been a massive fan of both in my 42 years (I went from hardcore PJ in early mid 90s to hardcore DMB in the mid 90s to early 00s) , I would say they are equally as popular. DMB just plays more shows and thus, to more fans. Either way, both bands are massively successful 30 years later and sell out pretty much every show in massive places.

When Butch was still there and before Roi died, they were a monster live. So tight, so focused, and yet so free in their exploration on stage.  Shows were so fun and amazing.  Things got stagnate between Away and now, but I thought the 19 tour was vey good.  I hope they come back strong. Dave’s set selection can be strange sometimes, if you get him on he wrong night.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    DMB for RRHOF

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 598
    Saw DMB when they were on the same line-up as Springsteen at Hyde Park in 2009. Had I not saw them live that day I doubt I would have a clue who they were today.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,215
    PJNB said:
    TH113769 said:

To the person claiming the infection rate is 1/12500, how does that jive with the 6/100 that would be the assumption based on the claimed 94% effectiveness of Moderna for example?
    While I have no clue if those numbers are right Infection rates and the efficacy or effectiveness of a vaccine are different. 

If a vaccine's efficacy rate is 95 percent, you might assume that 5 out of every 100 people vaccinated people will get sick. But that's not how the math works. The actual percentage of vaccinated people who got COVID-19 in both the Pfizer and Moderna clinical trials was far smaller — just around 0.4 percent.

Efficacy is actually calculated by comparing people in a trial who got the vaccine to people who got the placebo, Wald says. So if you received the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, “whatever your chance was [of getting COVID-19] before, it's now 95 percent less.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/coronavirus-after-vaccination.html

I wonder how many people look at those numbers and think that is the odds of them catching covid after getting vaccinated. I bet a lot of people do. 

Thread integrity. I would love to see DMB at some point in the next couple of years but they are not playing anywhere until the governments tell him its good to go. 
    If the math is as you suggest, and it does make sense the way you explain it, then SHN should absolutely be able to happen.  Crossing fingers now.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    matt84 said:
    Saw DMB when they were on the same line-up as Springsteen at Hyde Park in 2009. Had I not saw them live that day I doubt I would have a clue who they were today.
    For ten years, starting around 98, the sold more tickets than any other act in the world.  
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,279
    matt84 said:
    They're the ones with Dave Matthews.  That's how I tell them apart from other bands.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Just got back from a devils/rangers game.  20% indoor capacity, it s getting better every day!  I see a fall pj tour  on the horizon. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just got back from a devils/rangers game.  20% indoor capacity, it s getting better every day!  I see a fall pj tour  on the horizon. 
    That’s awesome.  😁
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did you have to show vax card?  Distancing?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would f’ing love to go to a Bruins game right now. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did you have to show vax card?  Distancing?
    No vax card.  Temp check on entry.  Even sections entered an hour before the game, odd sections were a half hour.  You needed to enter the correct gate or you were sent out.  
    Masks on the whole game except to eat and drink.  Seating was like flying first class, there was no one around you.  
    They encouraged people to order food from their seat but it didn’t matter. 
    Even the bathrooms were socially distanced as in every other urinal was blocked off.  
    People were constantly cleaning everywhere.  We left early with two minutes to go in the third but at the conclusion of the game you exited when they called your section.  

Overall a very very positive experience except for the $14.50 Miller lites!!! Ouch.  (We passed).  No clue what a titos and club would have cost.  Lol
  • Options
    From waiting to go through security, to the escalators to
    just walking around,  everyone really did distance themselves.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would f’ing love to go to a Bruins game right now. 
    It felt really really  good going to a game.  If you can go to a game do yourself a favor and go!
  • Options
    Interesting, glad you had a great time!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Interesting, glad you had a great time!
    Thanks bud!! 
    I m going to a yanks game may 6th and from what I ve read my father and I have to show our vax cards and my 12 year old son has to show a negative covid test within 72 hours of the game. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    Jim TresselJim Tressel Posts: 129
    JimmyV said:
    Pearl Jam steps up for its fans by behaving responsibly and not putting people in danger. If you are expecting them to be among the first bands to play then you are likely to be disappointed. 
    So what about bands that wait till after PJ determine it’s ok to play? Are they stepping up even more for their fans? It gets pretty silly when you start putting bands on pedestals. 
    It won’t be 100 percent safe in a year. Question is how safe does it have to be. Every band will have a different answer to that question.  Doesn’t make their decision right or wrong. 
  • Options
    GoinHungry94GoinHungry94 Albuquerque, NM Posts: 236
    JimmyV said:
    Pearl Jam steps up for its fans by behaving responsibly and not putting people in danger. If you are expecting them to be among the first bands to play then you are likely to be disappointed. 
    Bumparoo on this
    Hey nanana
    ain't that somethin
    PJ Chi 2--08-24-2009
    SG Chi 1--01-23-2013
    PJ Wrigley--07-19-2013
    CCornell Chi--10-06-2015
    PJ Wrigley--08-20 & 22 2016
    PJ Wrigley--08-18 & 20 2018
    Denver— 09-22-2022
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    I'm surprised a recording of Dave and Ed playing together never surfaced (all we got is that lo res picture). And honestly, I'm kinda bummed. Maybe someday they'll play together again.

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I'm surprised a recording of Dave and Ed playing together never surfaced (all we got is that lo res picture). And honestly, I'm kinda bummed. Maybe someday they'll play together again.

When did they play together?