The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    It's a Honolulu Fish Company weekend.  Ordered 3 pounds of tuna (ultra) and 2 pounds of salmon.  Having some people over for the first time in a year basically. Looking forward to it very much.
    Hell yeah! I did the same thing. Did 2lbs of Ultra and 2lbs of Opah. Mom's in town for first time in year, so looking forward to delivery tomorrow. Enjoy brotha!
    I was looking at this again yesterday.
    I'm going to do the week after next when we have a shore house.  Excited already.  Look forward to pictures, guys!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    It's a Honolulu Fish Company weekend.  Ordered 3 pounds of tuna (ultra) and 2 pounds of salmon.  Having some people over for the first time in a year basically. Looking forward to it very much.
    Hell yeah! I did the same thing. Did 2lbs of Ultra and 2lbs of Opah. Mom's in town for first time in year, so looking forward to delivery tomorrow. Enjoy brotha!
    Let’s go!! Enjoy. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Yummmmm, pasta and lamb dishes.  They look amazing.

Tonight I made salmon Wellington (aka en cruté), saffron rice with sautéed garlic and onions, and steamed asparagus.  For dessert I made puff pastries stuffed with braised apples in a brown sugar, bourbon, and roasted pecan sauce.  Served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a homemade butterscotch syrup drizzle.

I think I just made a sticky in my pants looking at that dessert.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Just sear my tuna, blackened seasoning...hot pepper mango chutney on the side. Enjoy!!!!
    Loujoe said:
    Just sear my tuna, blackened seasoning...hot pepper mango chutney on the side. Enjoy!!!!
    No heat on this stuff. It’s the shit
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited April 2021

First time cooking Sirloin in a cast iron skillet.  The family is very happy with the way it was cooked. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    mcgruff10 said:

For time cooking Sirloin in a cast iron skillet.  The family is very happy with the way it was cooked. 
    Great color. Looks tasty as hell.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yeah buddy
    Both on stove and in oven?
    edited April 2021
    Yeah buddy
    Just the stove this time, four minutes a side and let it rest for about ten minutes.  I like the idea of using the oven.  So if I use the oven then it would probably be something like a 90 second sear and then what?

I thought the taste of the steak was way better than cooking it on the grill; I m sure the melted butter helped lol.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:

First time cooking Sirloin in a cast iron skillet.  The family is very happy with the way it was cooked. 
    Looks outstanding. I’d eat some plain and then throw some in a fajita...mmmm 
    edited April 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah buddy
    Just the stove this time, four minutes a side and let it rest for about ten minutes.  I like the idea of using the oven.  So if I use the oven then it would probably be something like a 90 second sear and then what?

I thought the taste of the steak was way better than cooking it on the grill; I m sure the melted butter helped lol.  
    There are many ways to try to see what you like best 
    I like putting the skillet into the oven at start and set for 550.  
    Once it hits 550, put the skillet on the highest flame you have and hit the steaks at 30 seconds a side.
    When you flip, put back on a hot spot, not the same spot.
    Put back into 550 and turn it halfway through.
    Timing all depends on how thick the steaks are

I don't go beyond 3 mins a side unless it is huge.  

Take out, transfer to a plate, pop butter on them and put tent of foil over and let rest for ten

Like I said, many ways to use that glorious device and I'm sure many here have different takes on it

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Awesome info and we ll try that next time.  Thanks Brett!
    Yours looked awesome - just fun to try different ways.
    For doneness you will want to check until you find the time/temp you like, as always.
    Also. -. You need some real potholders or a heavy towel/folded to handle the iron after it is on there at 550.  Of you have to walk far you will pay for using shitty ones.  (Like the seasonal decorations my wife puts out.)

Baby backs. Smoked 4.5 hours with Cherry wood.
    Masters Sunday treat.
    Finished them for the last half hour with a bourbon BBQ sauce.
    eddiec said:

Masters Sunday treat.
    Wowzer.  I'm doing two racks today but in the oven.  They don't look special but they do taste very good.  Those look better, no doubt!!!
    What are you having with?
    Just finished the corn bread and will make a slaw and asparagus as well 

edited April 2021
    eddiec said:

Masters Sunday treat.
    Wowzer.  I'm doing two racks today but in the oven.  They don't look special but they do taste very good.  Those look better, no doubt!!!

Slaw, corn on cob, baked beans (new recipe was a bit too sweet), and sweet potato.

That corn bread looks the business.
    Awesome.
    Our corn comes in weeks from now but I cannot wait.  Some of the best corn I've ever had grows a mile away.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    eddiec said:

Masters Sunday treat.
    My favorite. Those look absolutely amazing!!!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    eddiec said:

Masters Sunday treat.

Looks great. I am glad you are eating some awesome food after your fast. Nice way to bring on the food again. 
    Ok, food peoples.... asparagus.  If you don't like it, I get it.  I love it.  Best, to me, is steamed or grilled, with lemon.
    Anyway -. Do you snap, snap and peel, or just cook it?

Easy to see my vote....

Ok, food peoples.... asparagus.  If you don't like it, I get it.  I love it.  Best, to me, is steamed or grilled, with lemon.

Easy to see my vote....

I snap one and cut the rest the same way.  evoo, salt, bread crumbs and parm.  350, 15 minutes.   sooooo good.   
    mcgruff10 said:

Easy to see my vote....

I snap one and cut the rest the same way.  evoo, salt, bread crumbs and parm.  350, 15 minutes.   sooooo good.   
    Nice.  Snap, no peel for you.
    The bread and cheese is great with it, I'm sure.

Easy to see my vote....

I don't peel, but that looks great.
    I usually steam then dunk in ice water to keep it vibrant green. Olive oil and lemon juice my go to seasoning.
    Otherwise, I just grill it on the BBQ.
    Such a great tasting veg that you'll smell in the toilet for the rest of the night.
    Had people over for the first time in a year.

Cliffy, holy shit!

Nice work that all looks amazing.  I imagine people were blown away that you made that spread!  Damn, man.  Gotta break down what is in the items at some point beyond the obvious ones.

Nice, Eddie....so I am alone in peeling the asparagus this far!  

Duuuude....
    Serious spread.
    Was wondering what you were going to do with that fish order.
    Thanks, fellas. Was quite the spread and people were definitely impressed. 
    You guys really do make some
    incredible dishes, awesome work cliffy!!!!