Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I used to jog a lot in a cemetery.
    Is this taboo?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    Heading out in a couple of hours with a friend... Thursday it was 24c and we dusted off the BBQ... This morning it's 0c and snowing, can't beat British weather 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Jogging in the snow - glorious!

Running through the cemetery made me chuckle.
    The people there can't object!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Jogging in the snow - glorious!

Running through the cemetery made me chuckle.
    The people there can't object!
    I have run in the local cemetery a few times. I asked about it on a running forum because I wanted to make sure I wasn't being disrespectful. The consensus was as long as a funeral wasn't going on, then it was ok. I also made it a point not to run in areas where someone was visiting a grave.   
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    I tried the track this morning. I ran a mile down to the track, then ran 2 miles on the track. 2 miles was about all I could do. It was nice running on a flat surface that was slightly softer than the ground. It was more even, no slopes or pot holes. I liked that. But running round and round in a circle when the river path was in sight reminded me of being on a treadmill and looking out the window. So, I hopped off the track and ran some more on the path. I can see the benefits of the track and may use it here and there for part of my run. There were very few people on it as well, so I didn't need to dodge and weave too much. So, it is a nice option, I guess.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    GlowGirl said:
    I tried the track this morning. I ran a mile down to the track, then ran 2 miles on the track. 2 miles was about all I could do. It was nice running on a flat surface that was slightly softer than the ground. It was more even, no slopes or pot holes. I liked that. But running round and round in a circle when the river path was in sight reminded me of being on a treadmill and looking out the window. So, I hopped off the track and ran some more on the path. I can see the benefits of the track and may use it here and there for part of my run. There were very few people on it as well, so I didn't need to dodge and weave too much. So, it is a nice option, I guess.

Awesome! 
    Did you go any faster?
    Agree about the monotony, but sometimes being on autopilot is a nice trade.
    I think at most I have done 18 miles on the track as part of a run.  You think 8 times around is boring, try 72!  :lol:     
    Also, I read somewhere that you can damage your knees if you run in the same direction all of the time because of the slight curving, consistently.  I change direction every mile or every 2 miles.  Not sure if that is true but at least I change perspectives a bit!
    GlowGirl said:

Awesome! 
    Did you go any faster?
    I think at most I have done 18 miles on the track as part of a run.  You think 8 times around is boring, try 72!  :lol:     
    Also, I read somewhere that you can damage your knees if you run in the same direction all of the time because of the slight curving, consistently.  I change direction every mile or every 2 miles.  Not sure if that is true but at least I change perspectives a bit!
    72!? Haha ouch.

I follow a trail runner on social media called Jamil Coury, during the first lockdown he did a marathon on a helipad on the roof of his office.

Glowgirl, it would definitely be hard staying on the track when there is a River trail in view
    GlowGirl said:

Awesome! 
    Did you go any faster?
    72 times around a track :o . That must have been quite the experience. My overall time was actually a bit faster. I have trouble zoning out when I run since I am always on the lookout for potholes and other debris on the sidewalk. So, I would probably need to run more around the track to get to that zone out head space. I didn't really reach it today. Interesting about changing directions. I will keep that in mind.
    Today was perfect weather for a run. Somewhere after mile 2 I really started to enjoy it. Had a bit of a slow start though. How are you all doing? 
    I had a poor running week, but that was self chosen.  Another 5 day fast week....water only

Had a great run Tuesday and was surprised.  Wednesday I walked half of it and Thursday more than half.  Finally ate yesterday and so thought I would have a better go this morning, but I shit out after about 15 minutes of good running.  :lol:. Alternated jogging/running/walking for the rest of the time.
    Tough to run with nothing in the tank.  It is a weird feeling....legs felt ok but just nothing there.  Funny feeling in my chest and no wind.
    Not unusual based on past fasts, some have a stronger impact on my body and take longer to recover from.
    Will eat up this weekend and do my hour cross train tomorrow....and Monday is off.  Tuesday am should be ready to rock.

Enjoyed this after being out there today - part of the refueling!  ;)

I had a poor running week, but that was self chosen.  Another 5 day fast week....water only

Had a great run Tuesday and was surprised.  Wednesday I walked half of it and Thursday more than half.  Finally ate yesterday and so thought I would have a better go this morning, but I shit out after about 15 minutes of good running.  :lol:. Alternated jogging/running/walking for the rest of the time.
    Tough to run with nothing in the tank.  It is a weird feeling....legs felt ok but just nothing there.  Funny feeling in my chest and no wind.
    Not unusual based on past fasts, some have a stronger impact on my body and take longer to recover from.
    Will eat up this weekend and do my hour cross train tomorrow....and Monday is off.  Tuesday am should be ready to rock.

Enjoyed this after being out there today - part of the refueling!  ;)

I am sure it is hard to run while fasting. I don’t think I could do it. That burger and onion rings look delicious. I hope you enjoyed it. 
    Thanks - after a fast everything is good but this was really good
    All things while fasting are difficult.  Having no reserve energy makes all sorts of things challenging.
    Thanks - after a fast everything is good but this was really good
    All things while fasting are difficult.  Having no reserve energy makes all sorts of things challenging.
    Do you mind me asking the reason you fast?

Got a 5 mile run in with my daughter on her bike today. Stopped 3 or 4 times so she could rest and have a drink, but with 3 weeks left until training begins its just really nice to get out and share that time with her.
    I think it is really cool that you can have her be a part of the running you do.  

Don't mind at all.
    Mostly it is because I am am idiot.
    Think it was 2018 at some point and a group I belonged to (Vistage) had a speaker visit us who was this nutritionist/health/life guy and he was an inspiration.  He shared how his wife beat stage four cancer after Mayo Clinic (one of our most renown medical centers in the US) gave up on her chances....and how he plans to live to be 113.
    Among the nutty things this guy spoke to us about was his fasting ritual.  Intermittent fasting was a daily thing, along with pretty strict dietary regimen.  The crazy part was that every quarter he does a 7 day water only fast.  Throughout those days he does everything else he normally does, which includes extreme fitness stuff.
    Told us he started with five day fasts.  Nothing but water.
    His physical feats include at one point holding a Guinness book of records entry for longest continuous time going on a treadmill.....he was on one for 48 hours straight.  :lol:.  

Anyway, in our group was about fifteen alphas....women and men who are leaders in their businesses.  We were highly competitive with one another.  I suppose it was obvious that a few of us would immediately take this as a challenge and start discussing who could do five day fasts.  3 of us made a wager and all three were able to do it.  I've kept at it every quarter since, exception being one quarter I didn't do it last year during peak training.  1 of the other guys still does it semi regularly.  

Not going to lie - it is very challenging.  Tried to extend to 7 days one time and I just started to feel too poorly.

For me, it has been a mental challenge that I enjoy.  I cannot tell you if it is cleaning out toxins in my body and allowing it to be much healthier or not.  I typically feel great once I recover, and most of the weight goes back on within 4-5 days.

I come and go on the strict dietary regimen and intermittent fasting.... generally only eating between noon and 8pm any day.  Once training picks up to long runs I have to mix in breakfast and snacking to add energy, I found.

I think it is really cool that you can have her be a part of the running you do.  

Don't mind at all.
    Mostly it is because I am am idiot.
    Think it was 2018 at some point and a group I belonged to (Vistage) had a speaker visit us who was this nutritionist/health/life guy and he was an inspiration.  He shared how his wife beat stage four cancer after Mayo Clinic (one of our most renown medical centers in the US) gave up on her chances....and how he plans to live to be 113.
    Among the nutty things this guy spoke to us about was his fasting ritual.  Intermittent fasting was a daily thing, along with pretty strict dietary regimen.  The crazy part was that every quarter he does a 7 day water only fast.  Throughout those days he does everything else he normally does, which includes extreme fitness stuff.
    Told us he started with five day fasts.  Nothing but water.
    His physical feats include at one point holding a Guinness book of records entry for longest continuous time going on a treadmill.....he was on one for 48 hours straight.  :lol:.  

Anyway, in our group was about fifteen alphas....women and men who are leaders in their businesses.  We were highly competitive with one another.  I suppose it was obvious that a few of us would immediately take this as a challenge and start discussing who could do five day fasts.  3 of us made a wager and all three were able to do it.  I've kept at it every quarter since, exception being one quarter I didn't do it last year during peak training.  1 of the other guys still does it semi regularly.  

Not going to lie - it is very challenging.  Tried to extend to 7 days one time and I just started to feel too poorly.

For me, it has been a mental challenge that I enjoy.  I cannot tell you if it is cleaning out toxins in my body and allowing it to be much healthier or not.  I typically feel great once I recover, and most of the weight goes back on within 4-5 days.

I come and go on the strict dietary regimen and intermittent fasting.... generally only eating between noon and 8pm any day.  Once training picks up to long runs I have to mix in breakfast and snacking to add energy, I found.

That's quite interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure it's for me! 😂 but still interesting.

It's nice to be out with my daughter, she is only 5 so I don't like to push to far with her, when my training block begins and I'm more strict/fussy with distance and pacing then she can stay home and annoy mummy 😁
    Does she ride without training wheels?
    My six year old still has his on, which makes his riding very slow.
    Does she ride without training wheels?
    My six year old still has his on, which makes his riding very slow.
    We managed to start riding without them last spring during the first lockdown. Her school closed and I was furloughed from work so we had plenty of time! We just bought her a bigger bike so she's having a little trouble with the start/stop but rides fine once she is moving.
    Nice.  I told him we need to get rid of the trainers so he can go faster.
    edited April 2021
    Nice.  I told him we need to get rid of the trainers so he can go faster.
    I spend all my time telling her to slow down now 😁 I was lucky that she really wanted to take them off because some of her friends had, so she was quite determined. I actually removed her peddles, and on a gentle slope let her roll down and lift her feet to feel the balance. Once she was enjoying that..put on the peddles and had her roll down the slope with her feet on the peddles and so on. It was a very gentle slope though. Taking peddles off allowed her to put her feet down and shuffle more comfortably.
    Post edited by beano.79 on
    Interesting approach, thanks!
    This week was interesting as I got my 2nd covid shot and didn't feel super.  Still ran a really good 3 mile clip wrapped in a 5 mile run one of the mornings.  Was at the track at that point and I passed the only other 2 people there (who were running together) 3 times during that 3 mile clip.  I love having something to aim at....something lost w/o race opportunities and with distancing.

I know we discussed running watches some in the past....my Polar M430 battery was crapping out, used it as an excuse to get a new watch.  Went with a Garmin Fenix6 Pro.  Something new to learn!
    Awesome!! Sounds like you are recovered from your injury. That is great that you got your 2nd shot. I get my 2nd Moderna shot on the 28th. I am little nervous about it. But it will be ok if I need to take a few days off. 

I don’t use a watch when I run but was thinking it would be a good idea to at least have a heart rate monitor so I was thinking of getting a basic Fitbit or Garmin. I will have to look into that. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Awesome!! Sounds like you are recovered from your injury. That is great that you got your 2nd shot. I get my 2nd Moderna shot on the 28th. I am little nervous about it. But it will be ok if I need to take a few days off. 

I don’t use a watch when I run but was thinking it would be a good idea to at least have a heart rate monitor so I was thinking of getting a basic Fitbit or Garmin. I will have to look into that. 

Yeah, I still have some pain and soreness...but I have that in lots of other parts of my body.  I would like to stop wearing the brace but will go for a while longer and see. 

I am sure you will be fine with the 2nd shot - I haven't seen anyone really spend more than a few days feeling like crap even on the strong reactions.  (At least nobody that was in good shape.) 

Let me know what you end up getting -- they are pretty cool.  I liked the Polar but it was ugly as fuck.  I went from wearing a nice Tag every day to an ugly as fuck black brick on my wrist.  This Garmin looks better.  They can do all sorts of things if you are so inclined to utilize them for such.  Good idea to have one for the heart rate, at a minimum.  Don't need to keel over mid-run!

How old are you both? I'm 41 and still waiting for my 1st jab. They're doing over 45s here now so not long 🤞

I did two 4 milers in the week and doing 7 my race partner tomorrow. 2 weeks and the weekly mileage is going to start kicking up. Can't wait.
    Nice.  Did a solid 60 mins this morning.  Almost 6.5 miles and after about a mile I held a good pace.

I turn 47 this week.  
    Damn.  47.  I remember when I turned 25 like it was yesterday.  
    Getting old!
    Nice.  Did a solid 60 mins this morning.  Almost 6.5 miles and after about a mile I held a good pace.

I turn 47 this week.  
    Damn.  47.  I remember when I turned 25 like it was yesterday.  
    Getting old!
    It's crazy isn't it!? I remember being 13, borrowing Vs from my cousin and having my mind blown! Flies by
    Yep.  I first saw PJ on vs tour while I was in college.  Closest I came to jogging at that point was intramural football with the fraternity.  Puked in-between games most Sundays since I would be up partying all night prior.
    Good times.  :lol:.   
    Yep.  I first saw PJ on vs tour while I was in college.  Closest I came to jogging at that point was intramural football with the fraternity.  Puked in-between games most Sundays since I would be up partying all night prior.
    I used to love track running at school 800m and 1500m. Also enjoyed cross country. Then into adult life I played football (soccer) and stopped running. I picked up running again when I stopped playing football at around 35 yrs old.
    beano.79 said:
    I used to love track running at school 800m and 1500m. Also enjoyed cross country. Then into adult life I played football (soccer) and stopped running. I picked up running again when I stopped playing football at around 35 yrs old.
    There are 2 standards of local football here... On a Saturday afternoon you would play in a semi-serious league and try to be at your best...then get out on the beer that night.. followed by playing in a hungover shambles of a Sunday morning league absolutely hanging out of your arse 😂🤢
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:
    There are 2 standards of local football here... On a Saturday afternoon you would play in a semi-serious league and try to be at your best...then get out on the beer that night.. followed by playing in a hungover shambles of a Sunday morning league absolutely hanging out of your arse 😂🤢
    Yeah the Sunday version is what we did in college.  Always doubleheaders.
    Brutal.