Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    I spent some time visualizing it, yesterday, and got to a pretty good spot.  Will have to see as the week goes on - I'm sure I will be excited.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Well....just got this email so I guess I can visualize a little longer.
    Immediate reaction is that I run on Saturday, myself, on my own course. 
    Will have to think on it, some.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,813

Wow. I am sorry to hear this. I know you have been training for this for a while. If you do decide to run it yourself on Saturday keep us posted. Again, sorry for this. I can only imagine the disappointment.

beano.79 said:
    4 miles at around 7:50 pace yesterday. Legs felt good but the lungs still need the work. So I think I'll keep it short and on the quicker side for a few weeks. Actually a  nice change from the 6 hour training runs! 😂
    Awesome!! What a great pace. I am sure your lungs will continue to get stronger. You have a good plan. You don't want to overdue it too soon.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

Oh, bloody hell! I'm sorry to hear that. You worked and trained hard for this. Even if you run the distance on your own it still isn't the same, I know (though you managed great with your personal marathon last year).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 640

Fuck sake 😔 sorry to hear that mate.

For what it's worth my advice would be to do 'something'. Something to get all the training out of your system, something that will feel atleast a little satisfying. 
    Thanks All.

So much messed up stuff going on in the world right now, this is a drop in the bucket.  Granted, in my own personal bucket it makes a significant splash, but no water need spill out.  :) 

Mrs FMe is strongly counseling to just go forward with the Philadelphia Marathon in just under a month and then to start training again in 2022 for the April race.

I don't know if I can do that.   Not sure if I want to do the crazy way of doing it Saturday, doing the marathon in a month, and doing it again in April....especially since if I was running "large" in 2022 it was meant to be a 50 mile race.  Now I would need to train through winter to run the 50k, get some rest/recovery in, train even more for a 50 miler later in the year.

Not sure what to do -- which is pretty damn unusual for me.  I normally know very quickly what direction I want to go in & waste no time in mashing the gas pedal down to get there. 

I would run 4 miles tomorrow if doing the 31 on Saturday and 5 miles if I slide over to the Marathon training for late Nov.  Doesn't make much of a difference until Wednesday (3 miles or 10 miles) so I do have another day to kick it around in my head and I can just go 4 tomorrow AM. 

• Tried to get my run in, couldn't do it. Guess I'll have to give up on my race next weekend. Have a dr appointment next week to confirm my injury is another stress fracture of the pelvis. So frustrated. 
    Tried to get my run in, couldn't do it. Guess I'll have to give up on my race next weekend. Have a dr appointment next week to confirm my injury is another stress fracture of the pelvis. So frustrated. 

Ah, that sucks, sorry to hear that.  Fingers crossed that it is a best case scenario result after visiting with the doc, and hopefully something you can identify contributing factors for so that you can work to avoid re-occurance in the future.
    Nice easy 2.5 miles this morning.

Doing the 50K tomorrow, solo.  Decided that I don't need to care about the event being pushed out & I don't need other people around me to accomplish the goal I've worked hard toward all year.  Gonna be a bit of a grind, I imagine, but that is not a news flash.

We are having messed up weather this weekend so I am trying to watch and pick the best time for wind/rain impact.  Looking like I will probably get up at 3AM and start.  If things change too much I might need to bump to Sunday.  Going with the flow and am going to trust that my brain will get me where my body does not want to go.  :lol:

Doing the 50K tomorrow, solo.  Decided that I don't need to care about the event being pushed out & I don't need other people around me to accomplish the goal I've worked hard toward all year.  Gonna be a bit of a grind, I imagine, but that is not a news flash.

We are having messed up weather this weekend so I am trying to watch and pick the best time for wind/rain impact.  Looking like I will probably get up at 3AM and start.  If things change too much I might need to bump to Sunday.  Going with the flow and am going to trust that my brain will get me where my body does not want to go.  :lol:

50k solo in the wind and rain - sounds like a treat! Good luck!! You know we’ll  all be rooting for you. 

50k solo in the wind and rain - sounds like a treat! Good luck!! You know we’ll  all be rooting for you. 

As long as there are no tricks.  ;/
    Thanks!

Wow!! Good for you, B. I will definitely be thinking about you as my motivation as I do my normal little run tomorrow. If I start complaining after mile 3, I will tell myself to shut the fuck up. Good luck. I can't wait to hear all about it.

edited October 2021

Yes! Fantastic. If 50k needed to be any harder 😂 running solo will do it. Look forward to your updates! Smash the effing granny out if it my friend.

And with a 3am start.... "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
    Post edited by beano.79 on

As long as there are no tricks.  ;/
    Thanks!
    May all the little goblins and spirits around just speed you on your way. 
    Well, weather cooperated...no rain and wind was manageable.  Actually pretty warm.
    Made great time up until mile 27 and me knee decided it wasn't going to work.  Had to stiff leg it through the finish, added 40+ mins to my time to frigging walk most of the end.  Hobble I did, though, and did my best to run the last quarter mile.  I'm hoping everything will be cool for the next run as I didn't push the knee too hard once it told me it had all it was gonna take, today.
    Would have finished in the 10s, which would have been great given the distance and my first time.
    Instead, I will smile and be happy with what I got and cross my fingers that my knee works in a few days!

Well, weather cooperated...no rain and wind was manageable.  Actually pretty warm.
    Made great time up until mile 27 and me knee decided it wasn't going to work.  Had to stiff leg it through the finish, added 40+ mins to my time to frigging walk most of the end.  Hobble I did, though, and did my best to run the last quarter mile.  I'm hoping everything will be cool for the next run as I didn't push the knee too hard once it told me it had all it was gonna take, today.
    Would have finished in the 10s, which would have been great given the distance and my first time.
    Instead, I will smile and be happy with what I got and cross my fingers that my knee works in a few days!

57,206 steps - that's hilarious :lol::angry:

And "unproductive"?? Rude.

You did it, so massive congrats to you.

👏👏👏That is awesome!! How many calories did you burn? Sorry your knee gave out near the end. But it is good you listened to your body or you could have made it worse. Finishing in the 10s would have been amazing. My average pace for a five mile run is around 10:20. If I ran as far as you it would probably take me so much longer than you, even with the bum knee. Is 47 your average resting heart rate. That is so good. My average is around 56, which I am happy with since it is still below the norm of 60-100. Rest up today and give yourself a little treat for a job well done!
    Thanks to you both.

I think the calories were around 5,000.
    Resting heart is usually in the 40s.  Good work with the low heart rate for yourself!

Fantastic, good job mate!🍻 I do love an unproductive 50k 😂
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I tried … the wind kept blowing out my joint…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    beano.79 said:

Fantastic, good job mate!🍻 I do love an unproductive 50k 😂
    Yeah I can't seem to get enough anaerobic in, ever.  Anytime I do a long run it tells me it is unproductive.
    Fucking wise ass watch!
    Well, I intended to run 4 miles yesterday morning and ran 3.  Somewhere into mile 2 the knee started hurting some.  Felt ok when I cut it short and iced up, felt fine (normal knee pain, lol) last night

This morning I intended to run 5, perhaps going 4 if things felt uncomfortable.  Started hurting during mile 2 again and at about 3.25 I had to turn off the watch and start walking back home.
    By the time I got home I was limping and the times I had to go up/down (curbs, steps) it was pretty painful.  

Not going to be able to do the 12 miles planned for Friday....and probably not the 10k Sunday nor Marathon 2 weeks later.  If I can't even run 3 miles without severe pain something is not right.

Will chew on next steps, some, but I really don't want to go to Doc and Physio.  Perhaps some time on the shelf, easing back into exercises and then running.  

Getting old sucks! :lol:

Very glad I finished the 31.  No regrets and if I need to take a break for a while, so be it.

Hope y'all had a better running day than I did!
    Well, I intended to run 4 miles yesterday morning and ran 3.  Somewhere into mile 2 the knee started hurting some.  Felt ok when I cut it short and iced up, felt fine (normal knee pain, lol) last night

This morning I intended to run 5, perhaps going 4 if things felt uncomfortable.  Started hurting during mile 2 again and at about 3.25 I had to turn off the watch and start walking back home.
    By the time I got home I was limping and the times I had to go up/down (curbs, steps) it was pretty painful.  

Not going to be able to do the 12 miles planned for Friday....and probably not the 10k Sunday nor Marathon 2 weeks later.  If I can't even run 3 miles without severe pain something is not right.

Will chew on next steps, some, but I really don't want to go to Doc and Physio.  Perhaps some time on the shelf, easing back into exercises and then running.  

Very glad I finished the 31.  No regrets and if I need to take a break for a while, so be it.

That does suck, but I believe you're a good ten years younger than me so you're not old ;)

How come you don't want to go back to physio?

I had just been tentatively testing out a bit of running again. Now I've sprained my ankle so that's on hold but I may go back to physio if it doesn't heal up quickly.

That does suck, but I believe you're a good ten years younger than me so you're not old ;)

I had just been tentatively testing out a bit of running again. Now I've sprained my ankle so that's on hold but I may go back to physio if it doesn't heal up quickly.

Thanks -- I am young, again!  Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhoooooooooooo!  :lol:   

The time, mostly, is the reason I don't want to go back.  So many docs and xrays and mris and readings and follow ups.  Also, cost me a pretty bag of pennies.  The physio was OK, it was only 10 mins away and a really good dude, but I would rather work on it myself.  Perhaps a few visits to show the ropes to me and set me free.  We will see.

How is your ankle, today?

Thanks -- I am young, again!  Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhoooooooooooo!  :lol:   

The time, mostly, is the reason I don't want to go back.  So many docs and xrays and mris and readings and follow ups.  Also, cost me a pretty bag of pennies.  The physio was OK, it was only 10 mins away and a really good dude, but I would rather work on it myself.  Perhaps a few visits to show the ropes to me and set me free.  We will see.

How is your ankle, today?
    I agree that all the doctor stuff is a pain in the butt :lol:  I think a good physio can tell you a lot about the nature of the injury and what you might most productively do on your own, or whether it’s beyond that and you need to consider other options. Good luck whatever you decide. 

The ankle is slowly improving. I am going to try to climb again tomorrow. Might be a disaster but you never know until you try!

I hope the knee is feeling better. It is great that you are listening to your body when I know the temptation is there to push through it. I know you went though a lot with your foot last year, so take it easy if you have to. If it is really severe, and not getting better you should get it checked out - though I know you know that. And, yet it is amazing that you did the 31K.

My run today was difficult as well. It wasn't joint pain, but twice during the run I felt a low level nausea come over me. I stopped each time and walked about 30 seconds and that helped. I finished my run with a bit of a slower time, but was happy to finish. When I got home, I realized the reason I felt sick. I always eat a banana before I run. It is all I really need. When I got home today I saw my banana sitting on the counter. I was in a rush to get out this morning, and I guess I forgot to eat it. So, I was running on an empty stomach. I know people can run on empty stomachs. My sister ran a 10K last weekend without eating anything first. But I always have to eat a little something - like a banana or a hard boiled egg with toast before I run. Lesson learned!

Perhaps and hopefully just a rest required after what has been alot of running 👍

I'm enjoying just getting out for a few miles without any pressure at the moment. Haven't done any long runs since the 100. Plus been having some really good family time over last few weeks with various trips and shows rescheduled from covid cancellations

I hope the ankle is feeling better.

GlowGirl said:

I hope the knee is feeling better. It is great that you are listening to your body when I know the temptation is there to push through it. I know you went though a lot with your foot last year, so take it easy if you have to. If it is really severe, and not getting better you should get it checked out - though I know you know that. And, yet it is amazing that you did the 31K.

My run today was difficult as well. It wasn't joint pain, but twice during the run I felt a low level nausea come over me. I stopped each time and walked about 30 seconds and that helped. I finished my run with a bit of a slower time, but was happy to finish. When I got home, I realized the reason I felt sick. I always eat a banana before I run. It is all I really need. When I got home today I saw my banana sitting on the counter. I was in a rush to get out this morning, and I guess I forgot to eat it. So, I was running on an empty stomach. I know people can run on empty stomachs. My sister ran a 10K last weekend without eating anything first. But I always have to eat a little something - like a banana or a hard boiled egg with toast before I run. Lesson learned!

Thanks.  I can walk pretty much as normal so long as I am walking on flat surfaces.  Up/down/any sort of slope causes pain.  Will just chill for a while, continue to ice every day, and see how things go.

Interesting that it was the food that got you.  I followed a strict eating regimen, based on calories/time, during training and anything beyond 60 minutes saw me carry food and liquid.  One of the gross effects the 20 mile+ runs had on me was that after I forced down a gel pack I frequently would have to fight back the urge to puke.  Sometimes it was really gross sounding/feeling.  As someone that has puked 1 time since 2005 (I loath vomiting - one of the worst things, to me) I would not allow myself to be ill but there were a number of times I wanted to.
    I knew that I needed to force my body to take some calories in....especially if I had some caffine along the way since I know that can block hunger feelings.

Put your banana on top of your keys the night before.  :)