Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    beano.79 said:
    Well, I intended to run 4 miles yesterday morning and ran 3.  Somewhere into mile 2 the knee started hurting some.  Felt ok when I cut it short and iced up, felt fine (normal knee pain, lol) last night

This morning I intended to run 5, perhaps going 4 if things felt uncomfortable.  Started hurting during mile 2 again and at about 3.25 I had to turn off the watch and start walking back home.
    By the time I got home I was limping and the times I had to go up/down (curbs, steps) it was pretty painful.  

Not going to be able to do the 12 miles planned for Friday....and probably not the 10k Sunday nor Marathon 2 weeks later.  If I can't even run 3 miles without severe pain something is not right.

Will chew on next steps, some, but I really don't want to go to Doc and Physio.  Perhaps some time on the shelf, easing back into exercises and then running.  

Getting old sucks! :lol:

Very glad I finished the 31.  No regrets and if I need to take a break for a while, so be it.

Hope y'all had a better running day than I did!
    Perhaps and hopefully just a rest required after what has been alot of running 👍

I'm enjoying just getting out for a few miles without any pressure at the moment. Haven't done any long runs since the 100. Plus been having some really good family time over last few weeks with various trips and shows rescheduled from covid cancellations

Hope that is the case!

Glad to hear you are catching up.  My wife was not disappointed to learn that I will have some more time back, for sure.  I know it took a lot of time for me and you had much longer training runs to fit in.  Good to know you are making great use of the time.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,835
    GlowGirl said:
    Well, I intended to run 4 miles yesterday morning and ran 3.  Somewhere into mile 2 the knee started hurting some.  Felt ok when I cut it short and iced up, felt fine (normal knee pain, lol) last night

This morning I intended to run 5, perhaps going 4 if things felt uncomfortable.  Started hurting during mile 2 again and at about 3.25 I had to turn off the watch and start walking back home.
    By the time I got home I was limping and the times I had to go up/down (curbs, steps) it was pretty painful.  

Not going to be able to do the 12 miles planned for Friday....and probably not the 10k Sunday nor Marathon 2 weeks later.  If I can't even run 3 miles without severe pain something is not right.

Will chew on next steps, some, but I really don't want to go to Doc and Physio.  Perhaps some time on the shelf, easing back into exercises and then running.  

Very glad I finished the 31.  No regrets and if I need to take a break for a while, so be it.

I hope the knee is feeling better. It is great that you are listening to your body when I know the temptation is there to push through it. I know you went though a lot with your foot last year, so take it easy if you have to. If it is really severe, and not getting better you should get it checked out - though I know you know that. And, yet it is amazing that you did the 31K.

My run today was difficult as well. It wasn't joint pain, but twice during the run I felt a low level nausea come over me. I stopped each time and walked about 30 seconds and that helped. I finished my run with a bit of a slower time, but was happy to finish. When I got home, I realized the reason I felt sick. I always eat a banana before I run. It is all I really need. When I got home today I saw my banana sitting on the counter. I was in a rush to get out this morning, and I guess I forgot to eat it. So, I was running on an empty stomach. I know people can run on empty stomachs. My sister ran a 10K last weekend without eating anything first. But I always have to eat a little something - like a banana or a hard boiled egg with toast before I run. Lesson learned!

Thanks.  I can walk pretty much as normal so long as I am walking on flat surfaces.  Up/down/any sort of slope causes pain.  Will just chill for a while, continue to ice every day, and see how things go.

Interesting that it was the food that got you.  I followed a strict eating regimen, based on calories/time, during training and anything beyond 60 minutes saw me carry food and liquid.  One of the gross effects the 20 mile+ runs had on me was that after I forced down a gel pack I frequently would have to fight back the urge to puke.  Sometimes it was really gross sounding/feeling.  As someone that has puked 1 time since 2005 (I loath vomiting - one of the worst things, to me) I would not allow myself to be ill but there were a number of times I wanted to.
    I knew that I needed to force my body to take some calories in....especially if I had some caffine along the way since I know that can block hunger feelings.

Put your banana on top of your keys the night before.  :)   
    Yeah. if I ran as many miles as you I am sure I would need more than just a banana, or have a stricter eating regimen. At least I think that is what made me feel sick - since the one day I felt sick was the same day I didn't eat before running. I don't run long enough to need a gel pack, but I am sure the texture would make me gag. I always carry water no matter how short the run. It seems to help propel me. I hope a few days off will help your knee.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I hope the knee is feeling better. It is great that you are listening to your body when I know the temptation is there to push through it. I know you went though a lot with your foot last year, so take it easy if you have to. If it is really severe, and not getting better you should get it checked out - though I know you know that. And, yet it is amazing that you did the 31K.

My run today was difficult as well. It wasn't joint pain, but twice during the run I felt a low level nausea come over me. I stopped each time and walked about 30 seconds and that helped. I finished my run with a bit of a slower time, but was happy to finish. When I got home, I realized the reason I felt sick. I always eat a banana before I run. It is all I really need. When I got home today I saw my banana sitting on the counter. I was in a rush to get out this morning, and I guess I forgot to eat it. So, I was running on an empty stomach. I know people can run on empty stomachs. My sister ran a 10K last weekend without eating anything first. But I always have to eat a little something - like a banana or a hard boiled egg with toast before I run. Lesson learned!

Thanks.  I can walk pretty much as normal so long as I am walking on flat surfaces.  Up/down/any sort of slope causes pain.  Will just chill for a while, continue to ice every day, and see how things go.

Interesting that it was the food that got you.  I followed a strict eating regimen, based on calories/time, during training and anything beyond 60 minutes saw me carry food and liquid.  One of the gross effects the 20 mile+ runs had on me was that after I forced down a gel pack I frequently would have to fight back the urge to puke.  Sometimes it was really gross sounding/feeling.  As someone that has puked 1 time since 2005 (I loath vomiting - one of the worst things, to me) I would not allow myself to be ill but there were a number of times I wanted to.
    I knew that I needed to force my body to take some calories in....especially if I had some caffine along the way since I know that can block hunger feelings.

Yeah. if I ran as many miles as you I am sure I would need more than just a banana, or have a stricter eating regimen. At least I think that is what made me feel sick - since the one day I felt sick was the same day I didn't eat before running. I don't run long enough to need a gel pack, but I am sure the texture would make me gag. I always carry water no matter how short the run. It seems to help propel me. I hope a few days off will help your knee.

Probably is the empty stomach based on what you describe.

I don't mind the gels, my stomach just didn't want food added in.  (But my body did...I tried going with some diffferent food sources and gels worked best....so I dealt with the gagging.  :lol:)  

Unfortunately I will miss the beach run I planned for Friday AM.  Guessing I will take at least a month off but will see how it goes.  There is for sure something wrong, it'll just come down to how I address.  One of my best friends is a doc so will likely zoom with him next week to see what he thinks. 

You all will just have to be my running for now -- so get going and tell me how tough it is & how you did it anyway! 

• Options
    I lurk on this thread often mostly because I find it uplifting as training, obstacles, goals, success, defeat, is living.  I do a little running too for general exercise (used to run cross country back in the day in high school and am also a cross country skier and avid jack of all trades exerciser). I don't run ultramarathons but have done six?  50k ski races in the past. Started reading A Runners High: My Life in Motion that I found at the library this week.  A good read so far. 
  • Options
    Nice.  How is it to ski 50k? Is that like we see on TV during Olympics?

Let us know what you think of the book.
  • Options
    Xc skiing is pretty much the ultimate cardio in that it's a total body workout that might be second to none. Elite skiers are often top mountain runners during the off season and it's their side training when off snow. Skiing 50k (as a normal person) is hard, but you get awesome rest breaks on the downhills that you don't get in running, so you can kind of recoop a little before hitting an uphill. The physical toll on joints, etc. is also less so that a fit nonelite skier can still do multiple 50ks in a month if the training is there.  The 50K is an Olympic event, yes. Many different distance events, like running. Also two different ski techniques, freestyle and classic that differ in ski gear, balance, and timing of movement.

Will post on what I think of the book. 
  • Options
    I lurk on this thread often mostly because I find it uplifting as training, obstacles, goals, success, defeat, is living.  I do a little running too for general exercise (used to run cross country back in the day in high school and am also a cross country skier and avid jack of all trades exerciser). I don't run ultramarathons but have done six?  50k ski races in the past. Started reading A Runners High: My Life in Motion that I found at the library this week.  A good read so far. 
    Hi. You are right that this is one of the more positive threads here. I also love reading about everyone's athletic endeavors. Cross country skiing seems like a massive full body workout to me. That is awesome you have done several 50Ks. I hope you keep posting here.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Probably is the empty stomach based on what you describe.

I don't mind the gels, my stomach just didn't want food added in.  (But my body did...I tried going with some diffferent food sources and gels worked best....so I dealt with the gagging.  :lol:)  

Unfortunately I will miss the beach run I planned for Friday AM.  Guessing I will take at least a month off but will see how it goes.  There is for sure something wrong, it'll just come down to how I address.  One of my best friends is a doc so will likely zoom with him next week to see what he thinks. 

You all will just have to be my running for now -- so get going and tell me how tough it is & how you did it anyway! 

Sorry you are going to miss your beach run, B. But if something is wrong, then I am sure you are doing the right thing taking some time off. Maybe it won't take month to heal. See what your doctor friend says. I think I don't have many injuries because my runs are so short - I still have not surpassed 7 miles. If I ran like you maniacs I would probably be in a body cast :lol: Also, as I have said before years of yoga has really helped my joints. If you haven't tried it yet, I still recommend it (if the doctor says its ok). Being more flexible can only help. When I first started yoga I couldn't even touch my toes. Now I can step on my hands with straight legs. Keep us posted on your healing.

BTW - I love King of Queens.
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Xc skiing is pretty much the ultimate cardio in that it's a total body workout that might be second to none. Elite skiers are often top mountain runners during the off season and it's their side training when off snow. Skiing 50k (as a normal person) is hard, but you get awesome rest breaks on the downhills that you don't get in running, so you can kind of recoop a little before hitting an uphill. The physical toll on joints, etc. is also less so that a fit nonelite skier can still do multiple 50ks in a month if the training is there.  The 50K is an Olympic event, yes. Many different distance events, like running. Also two different ski techniques, freestyle and classic that differ in ski gear, balance, and timing of movement.

Will post on what I think of the book. 
    I love cross country skiing! I wish I could do more of it but where I live snow is light and short-lived. I grew up in northern BC and really miss having snow sports available. Of course, the trade off is that I can cycle year round. I try to get at least some cross country skiing in each winter even though I have to travel for it. So far this winter I'm booked to be in Banff in 2022, so that's something at least. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 640
    beautiful Sunday morning run. Really enjoying the 'no pressure' 'non training' runs at the moment
  • Options
    Looks like a nice view during a run.
    I've been at the beach the last 4 days and see people running all day long.
    Should be on my way to the 10k happening today
    (Running over a large bridge and back covers half of it, really cool course) - instead, no running!  :lol:.     

• Options
    I finished A Runners High by Dean Karnazes. It's an easy read with some good story telling along the way. Definitely one unique dude and I understand the freeing attitude of running in the outdoors to find your escape, I just find it in a bunch of different ways than running 100 miles at a time which is fine. Some are built for it, but most bodies just can't do that year after year.  It would be interesting to know how many pairs of shoes he burns through in a year. 

I have a 5 mile run in order today on some icy,snowy trails. Have my trail running shoes rigged with some ice cleats. So far the setup is working well and I can avoid the need for a pair of Icebugs shoes. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I finished A Runners High by Dean Karnazes. It's an easy read with some good story telling along the way. Definitely one unique dude and I understand the freeing attitude of running in the outdoors to find your escape, I just find it in a bunch of different ways than running 100 miles at a time which is fine. Some are built for it, but most bodies just can't do that year after year.  It would be interesting to know how many pairs of shoes he burns through in a year. 

I have a 5 mile run in order today on some icy,snowy trails. Have my trail running shoes rigged with some ice cleats. So far the setup is working well and I can avoid the need for a pair of Icebugs shoes. 
    How does it feel to run on cleats? Is it noticeably less cushiony? I would think it might feel like more work but I’ve never tried it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Cool, thanks for the feedback on the book. 
    I bought 4 pairs of shoes this year, although 1 is still relatively new and in good shape.  1 is destroyed, & 2 semi-destroyed.
    Think it has to do with how you run and what you run on, as well. 

Beano can tell us much better since he trained for, and ran, a 100 mile race this year. 

Everyone trains a different amount, as well, as you indicated some of that seems to be based on what some bodies need and what some bodies can take.

Being that I fucked my body 2 years in a row, now, I am leaning toward my body not enjoying the amount of mileage my brain was enjoying.  :lol:  

Running in ice sounds very tricky. 
  • Options
    I'm currently on a set of Yaktrax snowtrax over a pair of Salomon speedcross shoes for trail use.  There's 5 carbides under the ball of the foot and 2 at the heel. The cleats are very light and the rubber webbing fits between the lugs (which are worn down some) on the shoes pretty good. They also fit very tightly so thus far, are staying on. I don't notice a decrease in cushion with the lightweight minimal design and man those little spikes help a ton.  Without them I was running very gingerly at a much slower pace just because I had to concentrate so much on not wiping out.  With those cleats on I've been running pretty much normal.  Not sure how long they will last, but for occasional use so far they've been working well. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Had a decent 5.5 mile run today. Right before my run I had a very annoying conversation with a USPS worker about a lost package of mine. She was super nasty. I let my rage fuel me!!!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Had a decent 5.5 mile run today. Right before my run I had a very annoying conversation with a USPS worker about a lost package of mine. She was super nasty. I let my rage fuel me!!!
    Angry run = fun run, at the end, to me.  Did you enjoy running out the anger?
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Angry run = fun run, at the end, to me.  Did you enjoy running out the anger?
    Yes. It felt great. I was fuming. Long story short, a few records that I ordered were marked as delivered, but I couldn't find them anywhere. Rather than buzzing my buzzer to come down and get the package (I was home at the time), they said they just left on the floor in the lobby. Someone, likely took it. Apparently it was not my usual mail carrier - who does buzz me to come down. When I told the USPS woman on the phone that I wished the mail carrier would have buzzed me so I could have come down and gotten the package handed to me, her reply was - "Yeah, well I wish I was rich." I was infuriated. But, it made for a good run.

• Options
    Yeah, that would make me upset as well.  Glad you ran it out!
  • Options
    Had great runs all week until today. I woke up really unmotivated to run. I often don't feel like running, but do it anyway and it is fine. But today was a real struggle. About 2 miles in I got a really bad cramp in my side. I had to keep stopping and walking it off. I also just felt low energy - I wasn't feeling the run at all. I finally stopped after 4.7 miles and called it a day. Because of the walking I was also not happy with my time. Oh well. It happens sometimes. I think I need a few rest days. My next run is Saturday, so hopefully I will be back up to speed.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Had great runs all week until today. I woke up really unmotivated to run. I often don't feel like running, but do it anyway and it is fine. But today was a real struggle. About 2 miles in I got a really bad cramp in my side. I had to keep stopping and walking it off. I also just felt low energy - I wasn't feeling the run at all. I finally stopped after 4.7 miles and called it a day. Because of the walking I was also not happy with my time. Oh well. It happens sometimes. I think I need a few rest days. My next run is Saturday, so hopefully I will be back up to speed.
    Side cramps are just the worse! good for you for recognizing the time to call it quits for the days. Your body thanks you lol
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    Would side cramps be what we call here I. The UK 'stitch'? A pain in the rib area making it painful to breathe?

I'm really enjoying pressure free, beautiful autumn time running. 6 mile's was my longest this week. Around 8:30 pace nice and easy. Only 5 weeks until I'm running back on a training plan! This time it's all about back to backs and hills
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Would side cramps be what we call here I. The UK 'stitch'? A pain in the rib area making it painful to breathe?

I'm really enjoying pressure free, beautiful autumn time running. 6 mile's was my longest this week. Around 8:30 pace nice and easy. Only 5 weeks until I'm running back on a training plan! This time it's all about back to backs and hills
    Yes. We also call it a stitch here as well. But, they are the same thing. A pain in the side while running. It sounds like you have had a nice week, working up to your training plan. Hills, ugh! I had a much better run yesterday. Took today off, and will be back at it tomorrow. Glad to see you are all recovered from Covid.

• Options
    Good updates, glad you backed off some M.
    Today was the Philadelphia Marathon.  I made a point to not turn on the TV this morning but could not help looking at my watch and knowing about when I would have finished.  Grrrr.
    Still have not followed up on the initial doc visit that I made last weekend.  X-ray showed knee to look ok but doc saw what he thinks is a stress fracture in my leg.  Meant to go to Ortho to see about the leg and to get referral needed for an MRI on my knee, which still is not great.  
    Hope to get in this week or next.  Since I know I can't be running right now I'm not in any rush.  I'm kind of concerned they might try to get me to stay off my feet, which can't happen right now for a few reasons.
    Keep giving updates so I don't go mad.  :lol:
  • Options
    Good updates, glad you backed off some M.
    Today was the Philadelphia Marathon.  I made a point to not turn on the TV this morning but could not help looking at my watch and knowing about when I would have finished.  Grrrr.
    Still have not followed up on the initial doc visit that I made last weekend.  X-ray showed knee to look ok but doc saw what he thinks is a stress fracture in my leg.  Meant to go to Ortho to see about the leg and to get referral needed for an MRI on my knee, which still is not great.  
    Hope to get in this week or next.  Since I know I can't be running right now I'm not in any rush.  I'm kind of concerned they might try to get me to stay off my feet, which can't happen right now for a few reasons.
    Keep giving updates so I don't go mad.  :lol:
    Did you make it over to the Ortho yet? I hope your knee is doing better. Not much to report here. Status quo. I was at my parents' house for the Thanksgiving holiday. I did not feel like running the hills in their neighborhood, so I went over to by brother's place and used his treadmill. I got two good runs on it. It made me wish I had the room in my apartment to get my own. But the gym is only 3 blocks away, so I can deal with it. How is everyone else doing?

• Options
    Do they have one that can turn into a bed?
    Life in Manhattan doesn't allow for wasted space!
    Good on you for getting the run in, regardless.
    :lol:
    Finally went yesterday and have an MRI appointment tomorrow evening.
    Ortho says he thinks there is no soft tissue damage but he thinks the tibia may have a stress fracture.
    The urgent care doc said fibula.  Ortho says he thinks tibia, on the top/ back side.
    MRI should set the record straight.  Been a month so if it is a stress fracture it should be well on its way to healing.

Fingers crossed that I'll be back out there soon!

• Options
    Do they have one that can turn into a bed?
    Life in Manhattan doesn't allow for wasted space!
    Good on you for getting the run in, regardless.
    :lol:
    Finally went yesterday and have an MRI appointment tomorrow evening.
    Ortho says he thinks there is no soft tissue damage but he thinks the tibia may have a stress fracture.
    The urgent care doc said fibula.  Ortho says he thinks tibia, on the top/ back side.
    MRI should set the record straight.  Been a month so if it is a stress fracture it should be well on its way to healing.

Fingers crossed that I'll be back out there soon!

Great news that there is no soft tissue damage. But I hope the stress fracture heals up soon. Good luck with the MRI tonight. Hopefully, you will be back to running those crazy miles soon.

• Options
    new addition to the family
  • Options
    5 weeks until I start training for the ultra tour of Arran. Tomorrow I'm racing a 5k Santa dash. Every runner gets a cheap Santa suit to run in. And from next week I need to start raising the minutes a bit
  • Options
    Nice!  What kind did you get?

Picture of running santas, please!