Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,622
    Thanks, and good to see you starting to gear up again
    Been going every other day, just three miles.  Waiting for PT to call back for schedule so I can consult with him

Thinking about getting and mixing in an elliptical, although I haven't enjoyed when done in the past.  I know that is non impact and can be a very good workout.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867
    Thanks, and good to see you starting to gear up again
    Been going every other day, just three miles.  Waiting for PT to call back for schedule so I can consult with him

Thinking about getting and mixing in an elliptical, although I haven't enjoyed when done in the past.  I know that is non impact and can be a very good workout.
    Good luck with the PT. I used the elliptical a while back when I was having ankle pain. I used it for about a week. I didn't love it either, but I have to say the workout was good - so it is still good for your cardio to use it. I also liked using the rowing machine, but am not as good on it. I know that doesn't help with training for runs, but it is a good substitute for running if you want to keep up your cardio. I agree it is not as enjoyable. It doesn't scratch that running itch for some reason.

• Options
    Happy New Year to all my running friends!! I finished my last run of 2021 this morning. According to my running app, I ran 664 miles this year with an average pace of 10:25. I know that that is not much compared to some of you. However, it is a big improvement over the year before for me. I want to thank you all for you motivation this year. You have really helped to keep me going during this shit show of a year or two - especially @F Me In The Brain and @beano.79. You guys are amazing. Have a happy and healthy New Year. Keep those running injuries to a minimum.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,622
    That is awesome, great work, M!
    Much love to you and to all of the contributors in this thread, with a special shout out to @beano.79, as well.  Inspired and motivated by what this group shares.

I checked and it says 966 miles, for me.  I also was on the shelf for 90+ days, 30+ at the start of the year with my ankle and 60 here, recently, with the knee.  A cool way to look at it.

Guessing there are some much larger numbers in this group!
    I ran at 4am yesterday in 40 degree weather.  Only three miles, but I loved it.  Shorts and a T!

Monday it is meant to be windy and low 20s.  I'm guessing I will need full gear for that one.

Monday after work I see the PT for knee and finger.  Fun!

Happy New Year, friends!

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 659
    Happy new year guys! 

Got my first 2022 run in today with my daughter on her bike. Also ordered a second pair of trail shoes as I'll need 2 pairs for Arran, and even if I didn't need 2 pairs? So fucking what... getting new running shoes is cool as.... 😂
  • Options
    Much love to you and to all of the contributors in this thread, with a special shout out to @beano.79, as well.  Inspired and motivated by what this group shares.

I checked and it says 966 miles, for me.  I also was on the shelf for 90+ days, 30+ at the start of the year with my ankle and 60 here, recently, with the knee.  A cool way to look at it.

I ran at 4am yesterday in 40 degree weather.  Only three miles, but I loved it.  Shorts and a T!

Monday it is meant to be windy and low 20s.  I'm guessing I will need full gear for that one.

Happy New Year, friends!

Great job this year, B. even with all the forced time off. Good luck on Monday with the PT. Hoping that will help get you back to where you want to be. Keep us posted. 
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Happy new year guys! 

Got my first 2022 run in today with my daughter on her bike. Also ordered a second pair of trail shoes as I'll need 2 pairs for Arran, and even if I didn't need 2 pairs? So fucking what... getting new running shoes is cool as.... 😂
    Nice that you got a run in today. I am having a lazy weekend. I will get back out there on Monday. New running shoes for a new year. I am about ready for a new pair as well. 
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Happy new year guys! 

Awesome!

GlowGirl said:

Happy New Year, friends!

Great job this year, B. even with all the forced time off. Good luck on Monday with the PT. Hoping that will help get you back to where you want to be. Keep us posted. 
    Thanks!
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    Happy new year guys! 

Nice that you got a run in today. I am having a lazy weekend. I will get back out there on Monday. New running shoes for a new year. I am about ready for a new pair as well. 
    I'm having a lazy quarter. Maybe even 4 months.
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone! Been a while.

Went to a sports medicine dr today who told me not to run anymore because of my 2 stress fractures. Getting a 2nd opinion next week. I'm not convinced I shouldn't run, just wanted advice on how to prevent the fractures going forward. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that.  
    Hope the second opinion is one more in line with your hopes.
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone! Been a while.

Went to a sports medicine dr today who told me not to run anymore because of my 2 stress fractures. Getting a 2nd opinion next week. I'm not convinced I shouldn't run, just wanted advice on how to prevent the fractures going forward. 
    Sorry to hear that. I hope the second opinion is a different opinion. 
  • Options
    On the plus side my regular Orthopedist said I can start running again (although to take it easy for now). 
  • Options
    What will taking it easy look like?
    Good news!
  • Options
    On the plus side my regular Orthopedist said I can start running again (although to take it easy for now). 
    Great news!!
  • Options
    Soundtrack: Hamish Hawk (check them/him out) and Ghost.

90 minutes today. Plenty of muddy hill reps. Feels great to get the pack out again and get back on it properly. 

This is the 3rd fucking time I have started training for this event so fingers crossed for a better covid forecast heading into the spring. 
  • Options
    Good luck!
    You run with those on?  Interesting.   My in ear units hate the really cold weather, so when below freezing (like this week) they have issues. 

Had to dreadmill yesterday as the snow and ice was thick.  Hoping some rain today washes all that away and I can be outside tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Good luck!
    You run with those on?  Interesting.   My in ear units hate the really cold weather, so when below freezing (like this week) they have issues. 

Had to dreadmill yesterday as the snow and ice was thick.  Hoping some rain today washes all that away and I can be outside tomorrow. 
    I do prefer running in over ears rather than in ear. It can be an issue in the hot weather and in that case I'll switch to in ear.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Soundtrack: Hamish Hawk (check them/him out) and Ghost.

90 minutes today. Plenty of muddy hill reps. Feels great to get the pack out again and get back on it properly. 

This is the 3rd fucking time I have started training for this event so fingers crossed for a better covid forecast heading into the spring. 
    Awesome!! I hope the event happens. I know you have been training a while for it. Good luck!

• Options
    How's everyone getting on?

I'm into back to back weekend runs now 5 mile's Friday and 10 miles Saturday which will gradually grow over the next 10 weeks. Starring to feel excited again
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

I'm into back to back weekend runs now 5 mile's Friday and 10 miles Saturday which will gradually grow over the next 10 weeks. Starring to feel excited again
    Awesome. I haven’t been posting much since I am basically just doing my same 5.5 miles as usual. Nothing exciting to report. Yesterday I did have a good treadmill run. My energy was high and time didn’t drag on as usual. So that was good. I am glad you are excited about training. Maybe I should train for something to keep it interesting. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Awesome. I haven’t been posting much since I am basically just doing my same 5.5 miles as usual. Nothing exciting to report. Yesterday I did have a good treadmill run. My energy was high and time didn’t drag on as usual. So that was good. I am glad you are excited about training. Maybe I should train for something to keep it interesting. 
    I enjoy runnings regardless but having an event to train for does change it up a little and keep things interesting. I say go for it!
  • Options
    For sure,  pick something out, will be exciting.
    Ran 3 again this AM.  9 degrees, cold!

Ready to start adding more mileage, I think.  Wil ask my PT about it tomorrow.  
  • Options

Did your PT allow you to add more mileage? 

Instead of getting a second opinion from a Dr I decided to go to a PT. I'm on a 5 week program to get back to regular running (assuming no setbacks), with strict instructions that once I'm on regular running to not increase my mileage more than 10% week to week. 

They are also going to have me do a biometric analysis of my running form once I can run 5 minutes with no issues again. Hoping they can figure out what's been causing my stress fractures. 

Luckily they have no issued with my plan to run a half marathon in the fall, and a marathon next year, so hopefully I can stay injury free this time.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

That's great. I can't wait to get back to my regular running routine, I miss my long runs. 

I've been using a recumbent bike for my cardio right now. Not a big fan, but watching old seasons of the Amazing Race while riding it to get me through. 
  • Options

Instead of getting a second opinion from a Dr I decided to go to a PT. I'm on a 5 week program to get back to regular running (assuming no setbacks), with strict instructions that once I'm on regular running to not increase my mileage more than 10% week to week. 

They are also going to have me do a biometric analysis of my running form once I can run 5 minutes with no issues again. Hoping they can figure out what's been causing my stress fractures. 

Luckily they have no issued with my plan to run a half marathon in the fall, and a marathon next year, so hopefully I can stay injury free this time.
    Great, glad to hear you found a path forward.

PT said to start adding mileage, using 10% per week as a barometer....and in in few weeks I could add a short day if I wanted, but not to keep growing that day yet.

Did suggest I could get a slide board, to help open my hips and quads up and I ordered one.  $500, so cheaper than a bike or elliptical and something I will enjoy more, I think.  Will do that most every day

I'm ready for it to warm up, again...in the single digits is sucky.
    Tomorrow  meant to rain and be 30s.
  • Options

Great, glad to hear you found a path forward.

PT said to start adding mileage, using 10% per week as a barometer....and in in few weeks I could add a short day if I wanted, but not to keep growing that day yet.

Did suggest I could get a slide board, to help open my hips and quads up and I ordered one.  $500, so cheaper than a bike or elliptical and something I will enjoy more, I think.  Will do that most every day

I'm ready for it to warm up, again...in the single digits is sucky.
    Tomorrow  meant to rain and be 30s.
    I am glad your PT is giving you some good news. Knowing you, you will be likely adding as much as you can. Slide board looks pretty interesting. I hope you meant that it cost $50, and not $500. Let us know how you like it.

Had my usual 5 mile run today. I did the treadmill. It was harder than my run on Monday. There are certain treadmills that get more of the air blasted on them. The one I was on today did not. So, maybe that is why it felt harder. I was definitely more sweaty. But I am glad I am still at it.

• Options
    Good work on the dreadmill.  I may need to do that tomorrow morning, depending  on the weather overnight.

No, I meant $500....plus shipping.  :)
    The others just looked cheap and not like the one I've been using....which is the one I bought

https://ultraslide.com/product/ultraslide-8/
  • Options
    Good work on the dreadmill.  I may need to do that tomorrow morning, depending  on the weather overnight.

No, I meant $500....plus shipping.  :)
    The others just looked cheap and not like the one I've been using....which is the one I bought

https://ultraslide.com/product/ultraslide-8/
    Wow. Ok. So you got a really pro slide board. It looks great. I was also seeing them as low as $40.00, so I didn't realize they also had a much more expensive version. I am with you in that I tend to spend more for quality workout gear. It's worth it - especially if you are relying on it to help with an injury. Let us know how it goes. Good luck with the recovery.

• Options
    Yeah, for $500 it is worth it if I use most days.  Rather go quality over the cheapo stuff.