The Food Thread

Comments

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    OK @Cliffy6745 , @lmckenney24        For the Honolulu Fish Co order, the package I wanted (1 lb Ultra Ahi, 1 lb King Salmon, 1 lb Kanpachi) is not available to order today, and I need to order by Noon tomorrow to get when we want it.
    3 pounds seemed right for multiple days of varying raw fish prep.
    (Called them and they confirmed that pack would not be up in time to arrive when I wanted.)

Given that the three pound pack is out....the other packs are 1 lb tuna, 1 lb salmon. 
    How much is that, for two people (my son won't eat much) -- I am concerned I need to order more. 
    Given that we have not gone out for sushi in almost a year, I do not care about the cost of ordering more but there is not a sweet 3 lb pack, thought I would see what you guys have ordered / how long it took to eat.

Thanks!

Here is what I would suggest, if you want extra and cost isn't a huge issue.

Go with the 2 lbs of Ultra and 2lbs of Salmon. 1lb of each is not enough in my opinion, if you want to make a few dishes over the course of a weekend.

My wife and I did the 2lbs of each a few weeks back and killed both, with about 3/4lb of salmon left over that we decided to grill and put into a salad. The options are endless if you roll with those two.

I can send you a PM on some fridge storage tips if you need it. You won't be disappointed in the purchase my friend.

Sweet, I like that and am happy to receive tips (just the tips!) if storage is something you learned from/about.
    Yeah, ill shoot you a PM. Def go the 2lbs of each.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    OK @Cliffy6745 , @lmckenney24        For the Honolulu Fish Co order, the package I wanted (1 lb Ultra Ahi, 1 lb King Salmon, 1 lb Kanpachi) is not available to order today, and I need to order by Noon tomorrow to get when we want it.
    (Called them and they confirmed that pack would not be up in time to arrive when I wanted.)

Given that the three pound pack is out....the other packs are 1 lb tuna, 1 lb salmon. 
    How much is that, for two people (my son won't eat much) -- I am concerned I need to order more. 
    Given that we have not gone out for sushi in almost a year, I do not care about the cost of ordering more but there is not a sweet 3 lb pack, thought I would see what you guys have ordered / how long it took to eat.

Thanks!

Go with the 2 lbs of Ultra and 2lbs of Salmon. 1lb of each is not enough in my opinion, if you want to make a few dishes over the course of a weekend.

My wife and I did the 2lbs of each a few weeks back and killed both, with about 3/4lb of salmon left over that we decided to grill and put into a salad. The options are endless if you roll with those two.

I can send you a PM on some fridge storage tips if you need it. You won't be disappointed in the purchase my friend.

Sweet, I like that and am happy to receive tips (just the tips!) if storage is something you learned from/about.

Having a tough time not ending up with 10 pounds.  :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Thanks!

Having a tough time not ending up with 10 pounds.  :lol:  
    I know, but you'll never eat 10lbs haha.

Pro tip (I know you like tips)...sign up for newsletter/deals with your order. Tuesdays typically have great Ahi Specials (lately its been for the Premium, which is a great option for sashimi/poke) for $79 for 2lbs for Thursday delivery. They run shit like that all the time. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Thanks will do.

You guys ever see this site?
    Ordered up some fine Tobiko and Ikura to go with.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Agreed on all accounts.  3-4 pounds is a lot, but we get through it and I wasn't fish'd out by the end of the weekend. The wife was maybe a little at times.
    Awesome, thanks guys. 
    Dude's tips are rock solid too.
    Rock solid dude tips.  Sweet!
    Rock solid dude tips.  Sweet!
    Everyone loves a rock solid tip.
    edited February 2021
    lol fuck
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    What do these boxes of ultra premium tasty fishflesh cost? 100$ 200$ 300$
    ??
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited February 2021
    That one was $253....2 pounds each of the tuna and salmon.
    It's a deal, although you have to do the work yourself and still provide all of the other things.
    When all is said and done I probably will be about $350 in.  This should be a great series of meals.
    Our favorite sushi place would cost more (with Sake) for a single birthday dinner, which is what she usually wants to do.

First time I ordered it at the beginning of this god forsaken pandemic 3 pounds of the best tuna was $80. It’s now $180. Think they realized what they had on their hands. Still worth it. At that other price I’d give myself hepatitis eating it every meal

I'm sure people not being able to go out helped lots of companies like this, as much as it pummeled restaurants
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Awesome.  Looks totally worth it if it's in the budget.  
    It's not in our budget lol
    Maybe it will be when we get a little older, but probably not because we are simple country folk 🤣 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited February 2021
    First time I ordered it at the beginning of this god forsaken pandemic 3 pounds of the best tuna was $80. It’s now $180. Think they realized what they had on their hands. Still worth it. At that other price I’d give myself hepatitis eating it every meal

Prices have gone up, but its out of peak season for Tuna in Hawaii believe it or not. So I'm hoping that pricing come down in April. If not, they are just price gouging, but as you said, it's worth the cost.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I pay $49/lb for maguro and $89/lb for toro from my local Japanese fishmonger. $180 for three pounds of premium tuna is not outrageous by any stretch. Top quality fish is expensive.

Get_Right said:
    I pay $49/lb for maguro and $89/lb for toro from my local Japanese fishmonger. $180 for three pounds of premium tuna is not outrageous by any stretch. Top quality fish is expensive.

Yessir - especially if you compare to what we would pay at a restaurant.  Cannot even imagine what 3 pounds of sashimi would cost at my favorite joint.  I think it is something like $21 for 6 pieces, if I recall.  How many pieces per pound?  30?  I have no way of knowing, that seems light.  If 30 is the number, that would be $105 per pound and $315 for 3 pounds.  
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Get_Right said:

Yessir - especially if you compare to what we would pay at a restaurant.  Cannot even imagine what 3 pounds of sashimi would cost at my favorite joint.  I think it is something like $21 for 6 pieces, if I recall.  How many pieces per pound?  30?  I have no way of knowing, that seems light.  If 30 is the number, that would be $105 per pound and $315 for 3 pounds.  
    Hmm next time I buy some i will count it out. I think I get 6-8 pieces out of each 1/3 lb. block. 
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Hmm next time I buy some i will count it out. I think I get 6-8 pieces out of each 1/3 lb. block. 

Thanks, will be interested.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Chimichanga night!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Wow I'd like to scarf one of those down!
    So what are folks cooking up for tomorrow.
    Making an attempt to go somewhat healthy but still have lots of good eats.
    Working on preparations for:

Okra
    Golden Beets
    Guacamole & Chips
    Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
    Mac & Cheese 
    Meatballs (this and M&C for the kiddo)
    Oven "fried" Chicken
    Broiled Skrimps

Just three of us and we have all the fish coming on Tuesday so the challenge will be to eat it all before then, likely to make early on Sunday.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Jose that looks great man

For tomorrow, the wife is making French Dips. I think I’m gonna make some potatoe skins. Not sure what else

Made French toast in the air fryer for my nephew this morning

chinese-happy.jpg
    Wow that looks good.
    French Dips are amazing.

Okra
    Golden Beets
    Guacamole & Chips
    Mac & Cheese 
    Oven "fried" Chicken
    Broiled Skrimps

Just three of us and we have all the fish coming on Tuesday so the challenge will be to eat it all before then, likely to make early on Sunday.
    Sounds like a nice spread!

Wings with three homemade sauces. Making pineapple salsa and Buffalo chicken dip and some scallops wrapped in bacon. 

Few growler's of beer I just went and picked up.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Damn I’d mess that French toast up for sure! 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    That French toast and chimichanga look awesome.  I just made one of my favorite comfort foods on this cold day.  Toasted Seven grain bread, roast beef, Buffalo chicken and cheddar cheese sandwich (added some lettuce) 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Okra
    Golden Beets
    Guacamole & Chips
    Mac & Cheese 
    Oven "fried" Chicken
    Broiled Skrimps

Wings with three homemade sauces. Making pineapple salsa and Buffalo chicken dip and some scallops wrapped in bacon. 

I would love to try the wings, be sure to share pics!

Okra
    Golden Beets
    Guacamole & Chips
    Mac & Cheese 
    Oven "fried" Chicken
    Broiled Skrimps

I would love to try the wings, be sure to share pics!
    Will do bud.