Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone else think that the cops who killed themselves might have been on the inside facilitating the violent overthrow of congress and knew it was just a matter of time before the FBI came knocking?
    that's a pretty big stretch at this point. 
    Why? It’s been reported that there was coordination amongst the insurrectionists, communications indicate they had a level of knowledge of where to go and how to get there, they were able to flash badges and be allowed in and there’s pictures of them taking selfies with insurrectionists. I’m not sure if you’ve been in the capitol but beyond the public areas, there are a bevy and warren of hidden rooms, corridors and tunnels, some of them 3 stories down and part of the original Capitol (think arched brick and narrow) where the folks who service the cafeterias and conference rooms and such move unseen (catering, furniture movement, mail, auxiliary services, etc.). Many of the stairs, doors, etc aren’t marked. Very easy to get lost in.
    To think that someone committed suicide because they were part of the 'plot' seems to be the stretch.  

I have no idea if this particular officer was involved in any "plotting", but given that many people have already lost jobs and have had their names, faces and backgrounds splashed all over the media outlets leading to widespread ridicule for their involvement in the riots, I don't view it as a stretch that the prospect could lead someone to commit suicide. 
    But he did not storm the capital, he was a cop there.  I hear what you are saying, and I'm not saying anything is impossible.  But I agree with Hugh that it feels like a stretch and a tad irresponsible in the statement. 

That's not what you said in the post I was replying to. You said: "To think that someone committed suicide because they were part of the 'plot' seems to be the stretch", and that's what I disagree with - I think it's quite possible that someone would commit suicide because they knew it would be discovered that they were part of the "plot".

I'm not arguing at all that this officer was. 

Sorry, I skipped the part that I thought was known.  He was a metro police officer who responded to the assault  So for H2M to be right (in his conjecture), he would have been part of the plot and worried about getting arrested, so he committed suicide. I feel like while possible, a stretch.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone else think that the cops who killed themselves might have been on the inside facilitating the violent overthrow of congress and knew it was just a matter of time before the FBI came knocking?
    Why? It’s been reported that there was coordination amongst the insurrectionists, communications indicate they had a level of knowledge of where to go and how to get there, they were able to flash badges and be allowed in and there’s pictures of them taking selfies with insurrectionists. I’m not sure if you’ve been in the capitol but beyond the public areas, there are a bevy and warren of hidden rooms, corridors and tunnels, some of them 3 stories down and part of the original Capitol (think arched brick and narrow) where the folks who service the cafeterias and conference rooms and such move unseen (catering, furniture movement, mail, auxiliary services, etc.). Many of the stairs, doors, etc aren’t marked. Very easy to get lost in.
    To think that someone committed suicide because they were part of the 'plot' seems to be the stretch.  

I have no idea if this particular officer was involved in any "plotting", but given that many people have already lost jobs and have had their names, faces and backgrounds splashed all over the media outlets leading to widespread ridicule for their involvement in the riots, I don't view it as a stretch that the prospect could lead someone to commit suicide. 
    But he did not storm the capital, he was a cop there.  I hear what you are saying, and I'm not saying anything is impossible.  But I agree with Hugh that it feels like a stretch and a tad irresponsible in the statement. 

That's not what you said in the post I was replying to. You said: "To think that someone committed suicide because they were part of the 'plot' seems to be the stretch", and that's what I disagree with - I think it's quite possible that someone would commit suicide because they knew it would be discovered that they were part of the "plot".

Sorry, I skipped the part that I thought was known.  He was a metro police officer who responded to the assault  So for H2M to be right (in his conjecture), he would have been part of the plot and worried about getting arrested, so he committed suicide. I feel like while possible, a stretch.

big stretch.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I didn't say i was "right," in your conjecture. I asked if anyone thought it was possible. Its not like its unknown that law enforcement and military folks are white supremacists or that members of law enforcement are being investigated for a potential role. Big stretch, sure. Just like the existence of a PTAPE is a big stretch, knowing what we do of POOTWH proclivities and past behavior.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I didn't say i was "right," in your conjecture. I asked if anyone thought it was possible. Its not like its unknown that law enforcement and military folks are white supremacists or that members of law enforcement are being investigated for a potential role. Big stretch, sure. Just like the existence of a PTAPE is a big stretch, knowing what we do of POOTWH proclivities and past behavior.
    Fair enough.  I'd say even odds on the ptape, 20-1 on this issue. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i saw that manbearpigshaman is looking at 28 years in federal prison.

good.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

good.
    That might be a bit excessive but I haven't reviewed exactly what he did.

He certainly thought a lot of himself.  He reminds me of this idiot in my dorm in college that told us his name was "Zeus".  My guess is he made that nickname up to reinvent himself.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    k, the word "stretch" might have been misused. I'll just say I don't think it's appropriate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

because i'm just not a fan of accusing someone who just committed suicide of treason with nothing but conjecture, that's why. 
    There's a body of circumstantial evidence that's been reported and an AG stating that there are serious charges of sedition before a grand jury, in the hundreds. Yea, maybe I'll just chalk it up to the fact that a certain number of cops commit suicide every year. And I'm not dismissing that nor making light of it. Hopefully, there will be a full investigation and report, inclusive of those who committed suicide and whether they were involved or not.
    sometimes it's just best to keep our thoughts to ourselves for a while. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

good.

He certainly thought a lot of himself.  He reminds me of this idiot in my dorm in college that told us his name was "Zeus".  My guess is he made that nickname up to reinvent himself.  

wrote a threatening note to pence on the dias desk.

good.

Zeus??  Ha!  That's like someone named Gordon calling themselves "Sting". 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,391
    The silence from the Blue Lives Matter crowd these last few weeks has been deafening.

• Anyone else think that the cops who killed themselves might have been on the inside facilitating the violent overthrow of congress and knew it was just a matter of time before the FBI came knocking?
    because i'm just not a fan of accusing someone who just committed suicide of treason with nothing but conjecture, that's why. 
    There's a body of circumstantial evidence that's been reported and an AG stating that there are serious charges of sedition before a grand jury, in the hundreds. Yea, maybe I'll just chalk it up to the fact that a certain number of cops commit suicide every year. And I'm not dismissing that nor making light of it. Hopefully, there will be a full investigation and report, inclusive of those who committed suicide and whether they were involved or not.
    Practice what you preach?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    Practice what you preach?
    i did. i had the same thought, but thought better of expressing it this early. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mrussel1 said:

good.

I give him credit for having a full bar in his dorm room.  And I mean he sold beverages at the bar.  

That lasted about a week but still...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mrussel1 said:

good.

I give him credit for having a full bar in his dorm room.  And I mean he sold beverages at the bar.  

That lasted about a week but still...
    helluva week.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    The silence from the Blue Lives Matter crowd these last few weeks has been deafening.

Because essentially everyone condemns the riot. I have yet to personally hear a single person say this was the right thing to do. Sure, I've heard a few people say a friend of a friend of a friend said so maybe, but the overwhelming majority of the country knows this riot was wrong. Therefore I don't see a reason to speak out for Blue LM. Blue LM has always been, from my understanding and experience, a response to people targeting cops. This riot wasn't about targeting the police nor does anyone support the violence that happened here. Now if you hear people chanting they should have killed more cops so they can enter the capitol, that'd be a different story. 

good.

Probably just a huge fan of Samuel L Jackson in Die Hard 3.
  • mace1229 said:

Because essentially everyone condemns the riot. I have yet to personally hear a single person say this was the right thing to do. Sure, I've heard a few people say a friend of a friend of a friend said so maybe, but the overwhelming majority of the country knows this riot was wrong. Therefore I don't see a reason to speak out for Blue LM. Blue LM has always been, from my understanding and experience, a response to people targeting cops. This riot wasn't about targeting the police nor does anyone support the violence that happened here. Now if you hear people chanting they should have killed more cops so they can enter the capitol, that'd be a different story. 

Can you link us to the condemnation from the repubs, repub party and POOTWH, please. I haven't seen much. Links to quotes would be appreciated. Did POOTWH visit the families of the fallen or any of the injured? I haven't heard that he did. Like everything else, use 'em and abuse 'em. I guess getting hit in the head with a fire extinguisher and beaten to death isn't "targeting cops?" Or crushing a cop up against a door frame and purposely closing his face shield repeatedly, making it more difficult for him to breathe, wasn't "targeting a cop?" Or ramming a fence wicket through a cops arm wasn't "targeting a cop?" Guess their uniforms and badges didn't matter and they were just in the way?Good lord.

Brilliantati©
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:

Dude Blue Lives Matter is just a subtle way for assholes to say black lives don’t matter, always has been always will be.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:

Can you link us to the condemnation from the repubs, repub party and POOTWH, please. I haven't seen much. Links to quotes would be appreciated. Did POOTWH visit the families of the fallen or any of the injured? I haven't heard that he did. Like everything else, use 'em and abuse 'em. I guess getting hit in the head with a fire extinguisher and beaten to death isn't "targeting cops?" Or crushing a cop up against a door frame and purposely closing his face shield repeatedly, making it more difficult for him to breathe, wasn't "targeting a cop?" Or ramming a fence wicket through a cops arm wasn't "targeting a cop?" Guess their uniforms and badges didn't matter and they were just in the way?Good lord.
    I've heard numerous republican leaders speak out against it, and not a single one publicly condoning it. I know how most feel about Fox News here, but this was the first story that popped up when I searched "republicans capitol hill riot." There are many more stories with more examples of republicans speaking out against it. Do you have a single example of any republican figure condoning it? I've be very interested in see it if anyone had.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-politicians-condemn-violence-at-capitol-call-for-an-end-to-riots

No, Trump didn't reach out. I don't see how that is relevant though. He was pretty much silent and remained out of public view for the next 2 weeks with just a couple exceptions. 

Yes, many cops were injured and 1 even killed during the riot. But I was talking about the response to the riot, not the riot itself, which is what the meme was referring to-the response to the riot and the lack of Blue LM comments. There has been widespread outrage over the riot. It doesn't seem necessary to me to cry out "Blue Lives Matter" as a response, when the response is overwhelming angry that this happened from all sides and all people. I just don't see what the comment of "The silence from the Blue Lives Matter crowd these last few weeks has been deafening." says about anything. Like everyone else, I've been outspoken against the riot. Do I need to include Blue LM in my comments when condemning the riots? I don't see the purpose in that since the riots have been accepted as wrong by just about everyone.
    Thats different than the summer when you did hear support for Blue LM. Many were condoning the riots, saying its the only way to get change, accepting that violence against police was okay. That warrants a response of Blue LM.

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

Dude Blue Lives Matter is just a subtle way for assholes to say black lives don’t matter, always has been always will be.
    Yep.  Blue lives didn't really matter much on the 6th, nor in the aftermath. 

Of course nobody's coming out and saying the rioting was good (not even the people that clearly wanted it to be successful). But I'm not really seeing a lot of them Backing the Blue, either.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

Of course nobody's coming out and saying the rioting was good (not even the people that clearly wanted it to be successful). But I'm not really seeing a lot of them Backing the Blue, either.
    Didn't really matter before, either. The 6th exposed that. Just a racially-charged retort to BLM, as stated above.
    edited January 2021
    Hobbes said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

Didn't really matter before, either. The 6th exposed that. Just a racially-charged retort to BLM, as stated above.
    I've had this argument a few times before. I just have to say I strongly disagree. Blue LM wasn't about saying Black lives don't matter. It was a response to the violence that targeting police. I recognize that most of the protests were peaceful, but if some of the protests didn't turn into riots or violence targeting police, Blue LM never would have happened. In this current culture we are in it seems like we are either for black lives or for police lives (or against police violence). I don't understand why we can't be for both, I am.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

I've had this argument a few times before. I just have to say I strongly disagree. Blue LM wasn't about saying Black lives don't matter. It was a response to the violence that targeting police. I recognize that most of the protests were peaceful, but if some of the protests didn't turn into riots or violence targeting police, Blue LM never would have happened. In this current culture we are in it seems like we are either for black lives or for police lives (or against police violence). I don't understand why we can't be for both, I am.
    Blue Lives Matter was a racist Dog Whistle long before the protests last summer.  As soon as people started banding together under the Black Lives Matter maybe around Ferguson the Blue Lives Matter fools made it up for the exact purpose of negating that Black Lives Matter.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

Blue Lives Matter was a racist Dog Whistle long before the protests last summer.  As soon as people started banding together under the Black Lives Matter maybe around Ferguson the Blue Lives Matter fools made it up for the exact purpose of negating that Black Lives Matter.
    Police have been killed in protests long before this summer too.
    2016, 12 cops shot and 5 killed by a gunman targetting police out of his hate for white police officers. Does that not deserve a response of Blue Lives Matter? When are we allowed to say a cop's life matters?
    https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/protests-spawn-cities-across-u-s-over-police-shootings-black-n605686
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2021
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don’t remember hearing about it until after the officers were shot in Dallas at the BLM protest.
    Edit:  Wikipedia I know, but I remember now what kicked Blue Lives Matter off:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lives_Matter#History
    Post edited by PJPOWER on

• Dude Blue Lives Matter is just a subtle way for assholes to say black lives don’t matter, always has been always will be.
    Dumb comment 
    PJPOWER said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don’t remember hearing about it until after the officers were shot in Dallas at the BLM protest.
    Edit:  Wikipedia I know, but I remember now what kicked Blue Lives Matter off:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lives_Matter#History
    Just to clarify, it wasn't an BLM protest. It was a lone guy who never claimed affiliation with any group. That doesn't make a difference in supporting Blue Lives in my opinion, just wanted to clarify.
This discussion has been closed.