Options

Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    I wonder who, if they had been inside the complex that day, seeing and hearing what was going on outside and watching the media coverage of the building being breached, would not feel in danger?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    AOC says she was hiding in her bathroom while people were trying to get into her office. 

I don't think we truly appreciate how close we came to seeing a big name killed.* It's not hyperbolic to say that her life was in jeopardy nor that someone like Pelosi or Pence could have been killed if seconds/minutes had been lost.  But hey, let's move on!

*And of course there's a lot of ignoring of those that did die, including the cop beaten to death on the scene. But realistically if a lawmaker had been killed the GOP would not be able to do this "time to move on" shtick.

So it turns out the whole thing was a lie. LOL. She wasn't even in the building.  #AlexandriaOcasioSmollett
    what?

There are mixed feelings on what it means. She was in Katie Porter's office in another building.  The "banging" on the door was a cop trying to move them to a secure location.  I guess you could argue that it's easy for us from the cheap seats to suggest she shouldn't have been freightened, but I'm starting to wonder whether she did go for the opportunist angle here.
    She wasn’t in the Capitol? 

No.  A nearby office building. That said, I don't have any idea how close/accessible the buildings are to each other.
    Just because she wasn't in the fucking rotunda doesn't mean she wasn't in the mix of what was going on.  Nothing she said was untrue.  Don't believe the right wing bullshit.
    It may or may not matter.  But people should be really clear and honest, that's all.  And she may have been...but from what I was reading or saw I never knew she wasn't closer to the actual chambers
    Maybe AOC exaggerates.  Maybe she is dramatic.  Maybe she was never truly in danger, but maybe she felt she was.  Maybe she just likes face time.  None of that matters.  How someone felt in that situation is irrelevant to the fact that what happened was an abomination.  And no one will convince me (nor probably 75% of Americans) that had the rioters actually found her, she would have been in grave danger.  
    tell me if I'm reading this wrong: "....no one will convince me....she would have been in grave danger". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    AOC says she was hiding in her bathroom while people were trying to get into her office. 

I don't think we truly appreciate how close we came to seeing a big name killed.* It's not hyperbolic to say that her life was in jeopardy nor that someone like Pelosi or Pence could have been killed if seconds/minutes had been lost.  But hey, let's move on!

*And of course there's a lot of ignoring of those that did die, including the cop beaten to death on the scene. But realistically if a lawmaker had been killed the GOP would not be able to do this "time to move on" shtick.

So it turns out the whole thing was a lie. LOL. She wasn't even in the building.  #AlexandriaOcasioSmollett
    what?

There are mixed feelings on what it means. She was in Katie Porter's office in another building.  The "banging" on the door was a cop trying to move them to a secure location.  I guess you could argue that it's easy for us from the cheap seats to suggest she shouldn't have been freightened, but I'm starting to wonder whether she did go for the opportunist angle here.

No.  A nearby office building. That said, I don't have any idea how close/accessible the buildings are to each other.
    Just because she wasn't in the fucking rotunda doesn't mean she wasn't in the mix of what was going on.  Nothing she said was untrue.  Don't believe the right wing bullshit.
    It may or may not matter.  But people should be really clear and honest, that's all.  And she may have been...but from what I was reading or saw I never knew she wasn't closer to the actual chambers
    Maybe AOC exaggerates.  Maybe she is dramatic.  Maybe she was never truly in danger, but maybe she felt she was.  Maybe she just likes face time.  None of that matters.  How someone felt in that situation is irrelevant to the fact that what happened was an abomination.  And no one will convince me (nor probably 75% of Americans) that had the rioters actually found her, she would have been in grave danger.  
    tell me if I'm reading this wrong: "....no one will convince me....she would have been in grave danger". 
    I forgot the word 'not'.  I guess that makes a difference.  Had the insurrectionists found her, she definitely would have been in grave danger.  
  • Options

So there was a threat when Mace wanted to tweet about it, but not when AOC wanted to tweet about it, is that the situation?

It's my understanding that AOC never claimed that "insurrectionists stormed our hallway". 
    But wait! There’s more! Mace had plenty to say in the wake of trump’s insurrection, in a brief moment of clarity: 

“Mace said she barricaded herself inside her D.C. office during the attack. Fearing that Trump supporters she had seen staying at her hotel might target her after she voted to certify the electoral votes, Mace said she decided to sleep in her office that night. 

She said her children keep texting her asking if the protesters are gone.

As she talked about the impact Wednesday’s deadly insurrection had not only on democracy, but on the Republican Party and its members, Mace’s voice began to shake. 

“My anger not only stems from the violence last night, where four people died and people were injured, but everything (Trump) accomplished during the last four years of his presidency. That legacy has now been wiped out. It is gone, and we have to start over from scratch,” Mace said, noting that Republicans will be the minority party in both congressional chambers during at least the first two years of Democrat Joe Biden’s presidency. 

“We now have lost the Senate. We did that on our own accord. We did it to ourselves, and we reap what we sow. The rhetoric has got to stop,” Mace continued. “That is one of the main reasons that we lost people within our party. We lost independents. We lost moderates. We lost centrist Republicans. We lost Republicans who voted for a Democrat for the first time in their life this cycle.”

Source: https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article248343115.html

I wonder what happened since Mace made those comments.... just kidding, we all know what happened. The GOP reminded her who they & what they’re about, so she’s back toeing the party line. 

Good stuff. 

• Options
    AOC's office is listed as the cannon house office building (the red marker on the map). the Capitol is clearly visible. make of this what you will. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

what?

I forgot the word 'not'.  I guess that makes a difference.  Had the insurrectionists found her, she definitely would have been in grave danger.  
    agreed 100%. just wanted to clarify. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I wonder who, if they had been inside the complex that day, seeing and hearing what was going on outside and watching the media coverage of the building being breached, would not feel in danger?
    i certainly would have, especially with someone beating on my door yelling the words she said they were yelling. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2021
    The first one was obviously before Mace got the talking points memo from the GOP leaders.
  • Options
    I have no idea why AOC would even be the slightest bit concerned.  https://www.courthousenews.com/dallas-area-man-accused-of-threatening-to-assassinate-rep-ocasio-cortez/
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I have no idea why AOC would even be the slightest bit concerned.  https://www.courthousenews.com/dallas-area-man-accused-of-threatening-to-assassinate-rep-ocasio-cortez/
    the party of law and order indeed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Funny how some get so offended when not even quoted, eh? OMG, an opinion I don't agree with! The horror!
    I quoted you because of the after comment.  If you didn't direct that first part at me then I'll move on.

I'm not offended at all, you're still a tool.
    Grasping. 
    So did you you or didn't you direct your tirade at me?
    Tirade? Because I think you made a lame attempt at minimizing something by asking "how many?" What if it were one person and the result was the same? Say, one person with an assault rifle and a few hundred rounds of armor piercing ammo? Almost a month later and we're debating "how many got inside." Like it makes a fucking difference. Tirade. Tool. You seem stuck on Ts today, Tempo. Tirade. Tool. Tirading Tool. Tooling Tirader. Tirading Tool Tooling Tiraded. FFS. I'll respectfully ask, do you watch the news? Did you not see the countless hours of footage from inside the capitol? Seems to me to be more than 200. But again, what fucking difference does it make?
    so let's back this up: the guy got his facts wrong, he gets trashed for it. he then asks for facts, and now those facts are irrelevant? and how is asking for facts "minimizing" in your head?

I'd say the difference between 200 and 10,000 is quite a fucking bit. and relevant. no matter the number, yes, they were all traitorous pieces of trash. but I think factual questions should be THE MINIMUM expectation around here. 
    A month after the “fact,” he got his facts wrong. WTF? Pay the fuck attention to the biggest fucking political conspiracy and malfeasance in several generations, maybe since 1860. Pay the fuck attention to “simple” fucking facts that were broadcast live, streamed live and reported on and rebroadcast for a month. The “facts” weren’t hidden, they weren’t made the fuck up and they weren’t fake fucking news. If you want to know the facts, Jack. By the way, I heard it was 201. Again, what the fuck difference does it make if it were 1, 100, 200, 201, 1,000, 10,000, 100,000, particularly if the result, and attempted result, were the same? Tool Tirading on behalf of facts and against minimizing.
    we're on a rock band's message board. a guy asked a question. and your reaction is how many pages of this^^^^?

I know you have trouble with people discussing things and not being at the same exact level of outrage as you all the time. But some of us like to calmly discuss facts. you blathered on and on and on about facts the last 4 fucking years. i'd think you of all people would appreciate someone wanting to clarify them. 
    I don’t go to a rock band’s message board for the clarification of “facts,” thank you. As someone already stated, oh never mind my blathering on. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    edited February 2021
    Funny how some get so offended when not even quoted, eh? OMG, an opinion I don't agree with! The horror!
    I quoted you because of the after comment.  If you didn't direct that first part at me then I'll move on.

Grasping. 
    Tirade? Because I think you made a lame attempt at minimizing something by asking "how many?" What if it were one person and the result was the same? Say, one person with an assault rifle and a few hundred rounds of armor piercing ammo? Almost a month later and we're debating "how many got inside." Like it makes a fucking difference. Tirade. Tool. You seem stuck on Ts today, Tempo. Tirade. Tool. Tirading Tool. Tooling Tirader. Tirading Tool Tooling Tiraded. FFS. I'll respectfully ask, do you watch the news? Did you not see the countless hours of footage from inside the capitol? Seems to me to be more than 200. But again, what fucking difference does it make?
    so let's back this up: the guy got his facts wrong, he gets trashed for it. he then asks for facts, and now those facts are irrelevant? and how is asking for facts "minimizing" in your head?

I'd say the difference between 200 and 10,000 is quite a fucking bit. and relevant. no matter the number, yes, they were all traitorous pieces of trash. but I think factual questions should be THE MINIMUM expectation around here. 
    A month after the “fact,” he got his facts wrong. WTF? Pay the fuck attention to the biggest fucking political conspiracy and malfeasance in several generations, maybe since 1860. Pay the fuck attention to “simple” fucking facts that were broadcast live, streamed live and reported on and rebroadcast for a month. The “facts” weren’t hidden, they weren’t made the fuck up and they weren’t fake fucking news. If you want to know the facts, Jack. By the way, I heard it was 201. Again, what the fuck difference does it make if it were 1, 100, 200, 201, 1,000, 10,000, 100,000, particularly if the result, and attempted result, were the same? Tool Tirading on behalf of facts and against minimizing.
    we're on a rock band's message board. a guy asked a question. and your reaction is how many pages of this^^^^?

I know you have trouble with people discussing things and not being at the same exact level of outrage as you all the time. But some of us like to calmly discuss facts. you blathered on and on and on about facts the last 4 fucking years. i'd think you of all people would appreciate someone wanting to clarify them. 
    I don’t go to a rock band’s message board for the clarification of “facts,” thank you. As someone already stated, oh never mind my blathering on. 
    NVMD

Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options

Grasping. 

sure you do. i've seen you clarify facts many times. but hey, I'm assuming you'll just refute that since I don't care enough to go through your 26 thousand plus posts to find examples. 

rage on! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108

Grasping. 

sure you do. i've seen you clarify facts many times. but hey, I'm assuming you'll just refute that since I don't care enough to go through your 26 thousand plus posts to find examples. 

rage on! 
    I can't wait till you get your own nickname or stupid acronym from him!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Grasping. 

rage on! 
    it won't be long. anyone got any suggestions? my guess is Speculatin' Hughie. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781

Grasping. 

rage on! 

canadian commie
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Grasping. 

rage on! 

canadian commie
    Is there another kind?
  • Options
    Maybe Tr-Hugh-Deau. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Why are you worried about the nickname Ptape is going to give you?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    LMAO
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Back to the riots.

The charges of a bunch of people might not get prospected and others not charged at all because they don't want to clog up DC's legal system?

Not so sure I like that.  At least put them in cuffs to scare the shit out of them please.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    LMAO
    Watch out, you don't want to be Hughmiliated.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    Back to the riots.

The charges of a bunch of people might not get prospected and others not charged at all because they don't want to clog up DC's legal system?

Not so sure I like that.  At least put them in cuffs to scare the shit out of them please.

hmm, federal crimes requiring federal courts. surely they can be tried in blocks together or bring in visiting judges from other courts to process? or even transfer to the district courts nearest those charged? that serves justife as well as the rights of the accused.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Grasping. 

rage on! 
    Clarifying “facts” or misinformation posted as “facts” are not the same as coming on to a rock band’s message board asking for “facts” to be clarified. If “facts” have to be clarified, doesn’t that then make them not “facts?” But something else, like misinformation?

Love the name calling, by the way. I’ve got plenty o material but some on here are so thinned skinned and wouldn’t be able to cope. Enjoy your day!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Back to the riots.

hmm, federal crimes requiring federal courts. surely they can be tried in blocks together or bring in visiting judges from other courts to process? or even transfer to the district courts nearest those charged? that serves justife as well as the rights of the accused.
    I thought it was ridiculous but the articles discussed this.  Clogging up the courts in the DC area. So now I don't know if it's considered a DC crime or a federal one?  If it is indeed federal then the people can be tried anywhere in the country.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967

This is crazy....I saw Mace on one the Sunday am news shows a few weeks back and thought that she seemed like a reasonable voice in the GOP.  She has totally done an about face.  She had tweeted that she was scared on the 6th and now she's attacking AOC?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

Grasping. 

rage on! 
    Clarifying “facts” or misinformation posted as “facts” are not the same as coming on to a rock band’s message board asking for “facts” to be clarified. If “facts” have to be clarified, doesn’t that then make them not “facts?” But something else, like misinformation?

Love the name calling, by the way. I’ve got plenty o material but some on here are so thinned skinned and wouldn’t be able to cope. Enjoy your day!
    I now know what puke looks like in its online post form. 

clarifying facts is not the same as asking for facts to be clarified. okedokie then. 

open the Hali-vault. come on. you know we all die for new nicknames. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Says the fucking guy who posts dumb shit all of the time.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OK hold it.  AOC knew people were being killed the moment they stormed the Capitol?  Didn't know what areas were compromised but knew people died?

I also believe Mace was escorted out of her office but decided to stay the night rather than return to her hotel room.  I also see her as opportunist for bringing this up too even if it is to call AOC out on something.

This is a story where people are going to be called out on their shit.
This discussion has been closed.