Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2021

"The above offerings will not be available in bluray as the resolution of the originals will not benefit from that format."

Weird choice by an artist, to my knowledge there are no uncompressed audio formats in the DVD specs. And can you get more channels than 5.1 if doing a surround mix? 

So a concert would BENEFIT FROM THAT FORMAT (BD or UHD). 

And bitrate and compression would still be better on a Bluray when it comes to video. Whatever the original video source might be. If marginal, it would still be better/As good as possible.

Let's hope the Dublin 95-show is released in as good quality as possible at least. 

Weird choice by the emperor of bla bla spotify sucks bla bla bla
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    edited January 2021

"The above offerings will not be available in bluray as the resolution of the originals will not benefit from that format."

Weird choice by an artist, to my knowledge there are no uncompressed audio formats in the DVD specs. And can you get more channels than 5.1 if doing a surround mix? 

And bitrate and compression would still be better on a Bluray when it comes to video. Whatever the original video source might be. If marginal, it would still be better/As good as possible.

Let's hope the Dublin 95-show is released in as good quality as possible at least. 

PCM stereo is uncompressed audio and capable of bit depths up to 24 and sampling rates up to 96 khz, so it can "preserve" audio quality just as much as blu-ray can.

Post edited by darthvedder on

• "The above offerings will not be available in bluray as the resolution of the originals will not benefit from that format."

PCM stereo is uncompressed audio and capable of bit depths up to 24 and sampling rates up to 96 khz, so it can "preserve" audio quality just as much as blu-ray can.

NEIL WINS AGAIN!

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889

NEIL WINS AGAIN!

Neil always wins!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:

NEIL WINS AGAIN!

Neil always wins!
    Except when it comes to that fucking website!
    Scio me nihil scire

• adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

NEIL WINS AGAIN!

Neil always wins!
    Heh, this gave me a good chuckle! 

I do use the NYA app a lot more these days. I keep tellin myself (with good headphones on), “This is how Neil wants you to hear it!” 

Anyone else here still diggin’ Archives II? I’m lovin every minute.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    It's available via Amazon today. I didn't think twice to make the pre-order.

Would have bought from Neil but much more expensive with shipping.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

NEIL WINS AGAIN!

Neil always wins!
    HAHA, I'm not the only one who says that.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    cutz said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

NEIL WINS AGAIN!

Neil always wins!
    HAHA, I'm not the only one who says that.

Ditto.  Of course, for me part of the problem is my Hughes Notworking ISP is slow to load anyway but Neil's site takes too much time off my life to wait for it to load.  I never go there any more. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Neil has released a list of the demos and outtakes that have been added to the NYA site. The easiest way to find them is in the filing cabinet feature, I can’t find them on the app yet.

Barefoot Floors is beautiful, but unfinished. It could have been another highlight on Archives II if he’d finished it. 

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2021
    One of my favorite Neil Young records:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    One of my favorite Neil Young records:

Ha ha! I just saw this on NYA so it’s safe to say Neil likes it too!

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
    Awesome! Just confirming, does anyone see a way to access these new outtake songs, and/or the “performance timeline” concerts, via the app?

Seems many of these things are desktop only and not on the app version of NYA, but figured I’d ask cuz....you know, navigating thru these treasures isn’t the easiest! Which is okay, sometimes ya gotta dig to find the treats.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I think he needs to rethink the interface for the archives. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2021
    So, THE TIMES will be released on vinyl end of february?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited January 2021
    Mid Feb, I believe. The 17th maybe? 
    Feb 19th. 
    Way Down In The Rust Bucket is $99.98, and Neil’s store does free shipping over $100 so I added The Times to my order and basically got it for about $3

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Feb 19th. 
    Way Down In The Rust Bucket is $99.98, and Neil’s store does free shipping over $100 so I added The Times to my order and basically got it for about $3
    Damn I wish I would have been smart enough to do that!  I am curious about the sound quality of a vinyl taken from an iPad video recordings audio though.
    Scio me nihil scire

• static111 said:

I am curious about the sound quality of a vinyl taken from an iPad video recordings audio though.
    What
    static111 said:

I am curious about the sound quality of a vinyl taken from an iPad video recordings audio though.
    What
    Isn’t the times ep from the fireside sessions, which to my understanding his wife shot on an iPad?  Or is the times ep a non vinyl release?
    Scio me nihil scire

It is culled from the Fireside sessions. But it’s possible the audio was recorded separately from the video. 

But yeah, it’s not a studio sesh.
    Ok, according to Pitchfork, it is recorded from an iPad. 
    It is culled from the Fireside sessions. But it’s possible the audio was recorded separately from the video. 

But yeah, it’s not a studio sesh.
    Ok. Should be interesting.  Maybe there will be some liner notes that bring clarity to the signal chain.  I guess we will find out
    Scio me nihil scire

Also, what an old person way to record a video. An iPad lol
    Neil has said in the past that Daryl films and edits the Fireside Sessions on an iPad, then they send it to a friend to upload because their bandwidth is too low at home.

The only liner notes on the CD version are these:

(Tim Rogers)
    lol

this guy : stream HD Audio from my site!
    Also this guy: OuR bAnDwIDtH iS lOw!
  • Neil is a cranky enigma

YASSS!!