Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    DE4173 said:
    https://youtu.be/IaZRPWNoEWI?si=XXLV76evTTyFtrJK

"A few years ago I wrote a blog essay explaining how I had acquired a reel-to-reel dub of two Buffalo Springfield acetates in 1971. They had come from then-WBCN legend Charles Laquidera. He had prepared the tape for me at the station's top recording speed, 15 ips.

I had asked for the first acetate, the extended, 9 1/2-minute "Bluebird," which I learned years later was the best-quality version that had never circulated.

But Charles was generous enough to also include a dub of a second acetate, Neil Young's "Down to the Wire." Neil had included the song on his "Decades" compilation in 1977. This acetate, though was an entirely different mix, rowdier, with additional background vocals and lead guitar, and a song-ending explosion.

I digitized the "Bluebird" acetate in late 2003 and set aside "Down to the Wire," not realizing then how rare it was.

These last two weeks I've been digging out my reel-to-reels and came across Charles' tape. And so, 53 years later, "Down to the Wire" has finally been digitized, and here it is".

This is great! Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    ST66483 said:
    New Canadian dates added to the tour for those interested.
    playing outside in winnipeg. interesting. I might go, depending how much tickets are this go round. last time he was here they were atrocious, but he played a small venue. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    ST66483 said:
    New Canadian dates added to the tour for those interested.
    playing outside in winnipeg. interesting. I might go, depending how much tickets are this go round. last time he was here they were atrocious, but he played a small venue. 
    He is playing an outside venue here in Vancouver also at Deer Lake park, last time I saw Neil was solo at an outdoor venue at Ambleside beach here about 15 years ago. I would love to see him play with the Horse, haven't been to Deer Lake for a concert but it sounds like it would be great. I'm also interested to see what the ticket prices are going to be. 
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 701
    @Celticskemba8 - yeah too bad on the Atlantic Canada dates, but wondering if maybe Festival d’ete in Quebec City could be a possibility. Their lineup is coming soon. No insider knowledge, just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    DE4173 said:
    https://youtu.be/IaZRPWNoEWI?si=XXLV76evTTyFtrJK

"A few years ago I wrote a blog essay explaining how I had acquired a reel-to-reel dub of two Buffalo Springfield acetates in 1971. They had come from then-WBCN legend Charles Laquidera. He had prepared the tape for me at the station's top recording speed, 15 ips.

I had asked for the first acetate, the extended, 9 1/2-minute "Bluebird," which I learned years later was the best-quality version that had never circulated.

But Charles was generous enough to also include a dub of a second acetate, Neil Young's "Down to the Wire." Neil had included the song on his "Decades" compilation in 1977. This acetate, though was an entirely different mix, rowdier, with additional background vocals and lead guitar, and a song-ending explosion.

I digitized the "Bluebird" acetate in late 2003 and set aside "Down to the Wire," not realizing then how rare it was.

These last two weeks I've been digging out my reel-to-reels and came across Charles' tape. And so, 53 years later, "Down to the Wire" has finally been digitized, and here it is".

Charles Laquidara was one of the greatest radio DJs ever. Hope he's enjoying his retirement; he's been sorely missed on Boston airwaves. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    goldrush said:
    Neil, come down to Australia anytime. 
    Preferably after I’ve paid off my PJ Sydney tickets!  =)

Seriously though, it’s been way too long between drinks. I’ve always said my dream show would be Neil acoustic at Sydney Opera House, but I’d love the chance to see the Horse one more time…
    Agreed! Nearly bought last minute Queens of the Stone Age tix for Melbourne the other week. But with PJ tix on the horizon I decided not too. 💰An early
    2025 show would be good. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,311

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    goldrush said:

Oh boy! 😀
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    Oh, Europeeeee. Time to get a new NYA sub maybe then

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    Pre sale starts in a few minutes, and there's nothing on Neil's ticket page?

Anyone know what's up?
  • Options
    The get code page doesn’t load for me so far.
  • Options
    Took a while, but finally worked for me and got tickets.
  • Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    ST66483 said:
    Took a while, but finally worked for me and got tickets.
    Same here. Scored a nice pair of aisle seats.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    Just got tickets for Vancouver, looking forward to it! Shaping up to be a great concert year
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Dume arrived over the weekend.

I have to admit that it’s been a while since I listened to Zuma, it’s just not one that I reach for when I listen to Neil these days. I loved the Dume disc in Archives II though, and I’m really happy to have it on vinyl  

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Hawkshore said:
    Just got tickets for Vancouver, looking forward to it! Shaping up to be a great concert year
    how much were tix?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 176
    Hawkshore said:
    how much were tix?
    All tickets are lawn GA but only $93 USD
  • Options
    Hawkshore said:
    how much were tix?
    All tickets are lawn GA but only $93 USD
    holy shit. that's amazing
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    got two for Neil in the Peg. nearly $200 for 2, but they are pretty far back. it's at a minor league baseball field, and oddly, there is a pit front and centre, and seats to the left and the right, A GIANT VOID in the outfield, and then seats in the stands. I'm in the stands. I wasn't going to pay the premiums for the pit or the seats close up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    diamond_marmaladediamond_marmalade Posts: 418
    edited March 6
    Anyone happen to have a Ticketmaster code?
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • Options
    edited March 6
    KEY
    CONVERT
    ENERGY

these are the 3 I found when I googled it this morning. Key worked for me. I didn't try the other two
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    KEY worked. Thank you!
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,005
    goldrush said:

That’s great news, my Neil listening dropped off a lot since he left Spotify so I have some catching up to do 
  • Options
    very good news now that I'm seeing him in July. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    edited March 22
    in my entire life, I never thought I would get to see Neil Young & Crazy Horse play Great Woods in Mansfield, Massachusetts, my local outdoor amphitheater!
    Very blessed !
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    locked said:
    in my entire life, I never thought I would get to see Neil Young & Crazy Horse play Great Woods in Mansfield, Massachusetts, my local outdoor amphitheater!
    Very blessed !

Awesome!  Would love to hear a bit about how it goes.  Have a great time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Obviously any ranking is subjective, but I really liked Silver and Gold and Are You Passionate?

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/neil-young-albums-ranked-from-worst-to-best
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    life is good with neil on the road again! blessed we are!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    ST66483 said:
    Obviously any ranking is subjective, but I really liked Silver and Gold and Are You Passionate?

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/neil-young-albums-ranked-from-worst-to-best

As soon as I saw they ranked Broken Arrow way down at #40 I knew that list is a crock of Horse shit.  One of my favorites!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.