Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    Fu##in up sounds great! Ragged in all its glory !

Who puts out killer albums three decades into their career? Neil, that’s who. Ragged, Moon, Freedom, if I don’t mention Mirrorball, then what?
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,879
    So. I was gonna grab this, but didn't see f..king up on the tracklist...then I read that they changed all the names of the songs? 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,994
    Loujoe said:
    So. I was gonna grab this, but didn't see f..king up on the tracklist...then I read that they changed all the names of the songs? 
    Yeah. It was really interesting that they did that. If you can still find it you should get it. It is great. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,879
     B)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    edited April 28
    I love Neil and the Horse of course, but at some point I feel compelled to not buy every release he puts out, not because they aren't worth hearing, but because of dollar and cents, and space (the final frontier).

So tell me fans, on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 meaning buying an old rusty hammer would be better expenditure, and 10 being meaning of the gods, you must have this or risk going to hell) where would you rank this purchase?

Edit: of course, I'm referring to Fu##in' up

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    brianlux said:
    I love Neil and the Horse of course, but at some point I feel compelled to not buy every release he puts out, not because they aren't worth hearing, but because of dollar and cents, and space (the final frontier).

So tell me fans, on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 meaning buying an old rusty hammer would be better expenditure, and 10 being meaning of the gods, you must have this or risk going to hell) where would you rank this purchase?

I can’t tell you. Skipped the last six or seven NY releases. I truly feel like he’s been phoning it in for a while. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I can’t tell you. Skipped the last six or seven NY releases. I truly feel like he’s been phoning it in for a while. 

Have to admit, some of Neils stuff is definitely not up to par these days.  But when I think about his age, the long road he's been on, the multiple health issues he's battle, I think phoning in beats the alternative, and when he still makes the magic happen now and then like he did on that version of "Cortez the Killer" from the 24th in San Diego, I'm thanking the heaven he's still out there doing it. 

So OK, waiting for the votes to come in.  F##in' Up, One to Ten, let's hear it, folks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,148
    edited April 28
    Fuckin’ Up comes off as ”retirement fund for crazy horse”-mans Taylor Swift re-recordings
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 701
    I’d give F##in' Up about a 6 or a 7. To me it’s a solid album, but part of my slightly lower score is because it’s not my favourite source material, I.E., Ragged Glory isn’t one of my go to Neil albums. Still a very good listen and I suspect bigger fans of Ragged Glory would like this one even more.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    I noticed this on FU and Now and Then. Neil finally sounds OLD. 
  • Options
    I’ll always take a live album of Neil’s over a new studio release. FU is a 5 or a 6. Always nice to hear the horse outta the barn. Not essential but the band can still play. 
  • Options
    Like every Neil release for the past decade. Wait a year and get it from Amazon for half the price. 
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,703
    Like every Neil release for the past decade. Wait a year and get it from Amazon for half the price. 
    That's what I'm doing at the moment or off ebay. I managed to pick up 15 cd albums recently on ebay for £40. All released from last 15 years.
    Kearnsy
  • Options

Kearn5y said:
    That's what I'm doing at the moment or off ebay. I managed to pick up 15 cd albums recently on ebay for £40. All released from last 15 years.

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I think waiting on this one is the way to go.  I love Neil, but I've got my eye on some other things I'm more exited about like the long overdue reissues of both the dBs Stand For Decibels and the Blake Babies Earwig.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    Fu##in’ Up is pretty solid release, it’s definitely ragged and raw like The Horse should be.

I think Way Down In The Rust Bucket is a much better live album though, and it has 8 of the 9 songs that are on FU.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Fu##in’ Up is pretty solid release, it’s definitely ragged and raw like The Horse should be.

I think Way Down In The Rust Bucket is a much better live album though, and it has 8 of the 9 songs that are on FU.

Yes, I've heard good things about Way Down In The Rust Bucket.  Another one to consider, for sure.  Thing is, if I were to get every LP and box set Neil ever put out, I'd have to shore up the foundation under my room first!

• Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,973
    goldrush said:

We’d love to see you Uncle Neil 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,256
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Yes, I've heard good things about Way Down In The Rust Bucket.  Another one to consider, for sure.  Thing is, if I were to get every LP and box set Neil ever put out, I'd have to shore up the foundation under my room first!

Rust Bucket is an amazing live album, I love it. The vinyl box set is lovely as well. He does release way too much stuff for me to keep up with but Rust Bucket was a must-buy for me and it didn't let me down!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Rust Bucket is an amazing live album, I love it. The vinyl box set is lovely as well. He does release way too much stuff for me to keep up with but Rust Bucket was a must-buy for me and it didn't let me down!

Mighty tempting, Edved!

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Mighty tempting, Edved!
    It worth having if only for Over and Over. As far as I’m concerned it’s the definitive recording of that track.

You can pick this up cheap too. I know you’re not an Amazon fan, but if youre cool with eBay there are new copies for $35-38 shipped.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    Can anyone who has gone to recent shows share with us what kind of merch is offered? I am hoping they have cool tour shirts ! Pics are encouraged!

"This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Is anyone here holding tickets for the July 23 Neil show at Deer Lake Burnaby that they would consider selling, or trading for July 22 tickets?  Let me know
  • Options
    shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 176
    I got an extra ticket for Austin (5/1) in section 103 and wanting to sell below face value. Meet at the venue and walk-in. PM me
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    locked said:
    Can anyone who has gone to recent shows share with us what kind of merch is offered? I am hoping they have cool tour shirts ! Pics are encouraged!

from reddit
    rneilyoung - Merch for the Love Earth Tour
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Mighty tempting, Edved!
    It worth having if only for Over and Over. As far as I’m concerned it’s the definitive recording of that track.

You can pick this up cheap too. I know you’re not an Amazon fan, but if youre cool with eBay there are new copies for $35-38 shipped.

Such a fine song.  Now even more tempted, lol!

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    Weather not looking good for my show tonight…
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Looks like Austin has been postponed due to the lightning. That’s shitty luck for everyone that got there.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Bummer news, Austin, sorry to hear it!