Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,766
    Neil's greatest albums are forever easy to love, but every now and then it's great to just sit down and listen to some of those less-often acknowledged great albums like Chrome Dreams, American Stars and Bars, and (especially!) Time Fades Away.  Which is how I spent a lot of my evening, and it really reminded me of what a great and beautiful thing it is after all these years to still have Neil Young in this world.  And there he is with the boys, out there doing it again. Fantastic!

If you get a chance to go, please give us some feedback or maybe even a bit of a review.  Enjoy, and thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,123
    edited February 16

Tracklist
    Side A        
    1        8. City Life [Country Home]
    2        7. Feels Like A Railroad (River of Pride) [White Line]
    3        6. Heart Of Steel [Fuckin' Up]

Side B        
    1        5. Broken Circle [Over And Over]
    2        4. Valley of Hearts [Love To Burn]

Side C        
    1        3. Farmer John
    2        2. Walkin' In My Place (Road of Tears) [Mansion On The Hill]
    3        1. To Follow One's Own Dream [Days That Used To Be]

Side D  

So it's just the song titles that are... "updated"? I though for a moment that the song lyrics would be changed/updated?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 701
    I believe it’s a live album from his secret show in Toronto last year.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/neil-young-and-crazy-horse-detail-new-album-fuckin-up
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Odd that it's billed as "The Horse" and not Crazy Horse, but never mind, Ragged Glory is one of the greatest rock records ever made and the released clips sound very promising.  I hope the price isn't too out the roof (but I won't bitch- there's enough of that going on over at the Pearl Jam site on Facebook, haha!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Neil's aggressive vinyl pushing is starting to be a bit off-putting. 

Would like him to start pushing his video archive for a while. Or something else.
  • Options
    Neil's aggressive vinyl pushing is starting to be a bit off-putting. 

Would like him to start pushing his video archive for a while. Or something else.

Yeah, I hear you.  I'm really on the fence on this one.  One the one hand- Crazy Horse live with Nils Lofgren is hugely tempting.  On the other hand, another $40 plus tax and shipping to The Greedy Hand...?  Man.. I dunno.  :shrug: 

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,841
    Man, I REALLY wanted to go see NYCH
    So damn badly. But they are playing Chicago the day before I am committed to being in Charlotte for mybnieces graduation. 1st world problems, of course. I really hope they add some more midwest shows at some point. I'm afraid there won't be many shows left to enjoy with The Horse.

Also, those prices!!! Yikes!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,154
    So damn badly. But they are playing Chicago the day before I am committed to being in Charlotte for mybnieces graduation. 1st world problems, of course. I really hope they add some more midwest shows at some point. I'm afraid there won't be many shows left to enjoy with The Horse.

100% with you, I am out of town for his two show run at Forrest Hills and looking at CT, it’s a small sold out venue and the resales are at $300 for an average ticket. Found a hotel a half hour away for $150 so struggling with committing $450+ knowing PJ MSG could cost $600+ to see them.

Neil is a known  legend this should be an easy decision!
  • Options

Fly from chicago to charlotte early in the morning? Pack your suit?
  • Options
    Have you bought Dume?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    I have tickets for ATLANTA.  holy shit i cant wait to see this again. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Is Nils with Crazy Horse on this latest tour?

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,310
    brianlux said:
    I think he’s with Springsteen. Micah Nelson will be with The Horse.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    I think he’s with Springsteen. Micah Nelson will be with The Horse.

Too bad!  Understandable, I guess, and not dissing Micah, but I'd rather see Nils with the Horse.  Maybe next time (if there is a next time...  I hope there is!)

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    edited February 20
    They are playing Northerly Island in Chicago. Has anybody been to a show there? How big of a hassle is it to get in and out of there?

bit of a walk to get in, but its a nice venue with the best backdrop.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,123
    edited February 20
    I have  ahard time putting up the 35 dollars for Dume... am I dumb not buying it? IS IT THE No1 WAY TO LISTEN TO ZUMA?

I will buy High Flyin' though. Sounds great.

I CANT DEAL WITH THESE VINYL PRICES. Chrome Dreams are like 45 dollars. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEN IT AND DUME THAT WARRANTS 10 DOLLARS MORE?!
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    I have  ahard time putting up the 35 dollars for Dume... am I dumb not buying it? IS IT THE No1 WAY TO LISTEN TO ZUMA?

I CANT DEAL WITH THESE VINYL PRICES. Chrome Dreams are like 45 dollars. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEN IT AND DUME THAT WARRANTS 10 DOLLARS MORE?!

I don't know because I haven't heard the DUMA version, but the OG Zuma I have sounds as great as ever and you can still get a near mint for under $20.  That's how I would go.

• Options

I got my shipping notification for Dume yesterday…
    and I’ll order Fu##in’ Up as well…
    because I am a sucker and I have a very understanding wife!

Not sure why Chrome Dreams would be more expensive though. They’re both double albums with 3 sides of music, although Dume has more songs. Maybe it’s because Chrome Dreams is a famously ‘lost’ album, whereas Dume is more of an Archives compilation?

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

I got my shipping notification for Dume yesterday…
    and I’ll order Fu##in’ Up as well…
    because I am a sucker and I have a very understanding wife!

Not sure why Chrome Dreams would be more expensive though. They’re both double albums with 3 sides of music, although Dume has more songs. Maybe it’s because Chrome Dreams is a famously ‘lost’ album, whereas Dume is more of an Archives compilation?

I have to admit, I'm tempted to buy the official Chrome Dreams.  Years ago, I saw a copy in a record store and, knowing Neil is not a bootleg fan, asked the store owner, "Is this a bootleg?"  He (sort of) truthfully said simply, "No", and so I bought it.  What he didn't say was, "No, but it is an unofficial' release."  I'm also guessing the official release sounds better.  Great album, for sure!

• Options
    Archives 3 will be "mid year for sure"... but which year? ;)  

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I bought Dume (40 dollars) and High Flyin' (30 dollars). I skipped Odeon Budokan. I don't need more live releases with Neil (other than a mid 90s release, a Freedom-era release and a 2001 European Tour release).

Kind of nice splitting up parts of the CD-based archive in separate releases on LP. Can't pay 50 dollars for Chrome Dreams though.  

• Options
    Just got Chrome Dreams from Amazon for $27 a few weeks ago. Do a price watch at Camel Camel Camel for it.

• Options
    I was just blowing through his discogs page and adding shit I've bought over the past 5 years. He has put out a crazy amount of releases and so many of them are absolute must haves. Granted, none of it is new material, but all the classic live stuff and "unreleased" albums are just steller.

• Options
    I bought Dume (40 dollars) and High Flyin' (30 dollars). I skipped Odeon Budokan. I don't need more live releases with Neil (other than a mid 90s release, a Freedom-era release and a 2001 European Tour release).

Kind of nice splitting up parts of the CD-based archive in separate releases on LP. Can't pay 50 dollars for Chrome Dreams though.  

I listened to my vinyl copy of Odeon Budokan this evening and am actually on the fence about keeping it or selling it.  There's a lot of pluses to be said for these performances, but... The songs on side one with just Neil are nice- a few are downright lovely-  but the audience is super obnoxious.  Side B with Crazy Horse would be fine except, GOOD GOD, what's with Poncho's guitar?  Were the pickups on his guitar loose and about to fall off?  Did someone shove a tin can full of glass beads in his amp?  Was he playing a toy guitar?  His playing, as always, is fine but man, that tinny guitar sound!  Yikes!
    And on top of that, the idea of two incongruous sides just seems off to me. 
    Pondering... pondering...

• Options
    DE4173DE4173 Posts: 353
    edited February 25
    https://youtu.be/IaZRPWNoEWI?si=XXLV76evTTyFtrJK

"A few years ago I wrote a blog essay explaining how I had acquired a reel-to-reel dub of two Buffalo Springfield acetates in 1971. They had come from then-WBCN legend Charles Laquidera. He had prepared the tape for me at the station's top recording speed, 15 ips.

I had asked for the first acetate, the extended, 9 1/2-minute "Bluebird," which I learned years later was the best-quality version that had never circulated.

But Charles was generous enough to also include a dub of a second acetate, Neil Young's "Down to the Wire." Neil had included the song on his "Decades" compilation in 1977. This acetate, though was an entirely different mix, rowdier, with additional background vocals and lead guitar, and a song-ending explosion.

I digitized the "Bluebird" acetate in late 2003 and set aside "Down to the Wire," not realizing then how rare it was.

These last two weeks I've been digging out my reel-to-reels and came across Charles' tape. And so, 53 years later, "Down to the Wire" has finally been digitized, and here it is".

Post edited by DE4173 on
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 701
    New Canadian dates added to the tour for those interested.
  • Options
    ST66483 said:
    New Canadian dates added to the tour for those interested.
    Was praying for Atlantic Canada when I saw this!
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    Neil, come down to Australia anytime. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Neil, come down to Australia anytime. 
    Preferably after I’ve paid off my PJ Sydney tickets!  =)

Seriously though, it’s been way too long between drinks. I’ve always said my dream show would be Neil acoustic at Sydney Opera House, but I’d love the chance to see the Horse one more time…

(Tim Rogers)