Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Nice work!
    I got a splashdown last year and all I could do was laugh.  I was waiting to cross and didn't even think about it, was list in my head.  
    Would like to think I learned a lesson!
    I know. I didn’t think about puddles either. Will have to take more notice of them next time it rains. In the summer I got misted from the East River a few times. I run really close to the wall there and when the waves kick up from a boat or the wind there can be some splashing. But it felt really good in the heat. Not sure about the quality of East River water though. 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    I need to do better, I fell off the wagon. Like I said before, I was never a runner. I enjoy lifting a lot more, but now that I can't seem to get back to how strong I was before my shoulder surgery, combined with high cholesterol and borderline A1C, I think now is the time to get a bit more serious with running and focus my diet towards fueling that vs bodybuilding (a lot of people don't know bodybuilding diets can be absolutely terrible for you). I've been at it for a week, running anywhere between 3-5 miles a day. I have one of those NordicTrack incline trainers. I used to only walk/hike on it for cutting phases.Lol I now run on it and said fuck it and paid the annual fee so I can pick and choose a program to follow. I picked a half-marathon program. 2-part series of 4 weeks each. Goal is to run a half marathon under 10 mins per. So far it's been brutal, but doable.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    edited January 2021
    so this year I have 2 ultras. A 2 day 60 mile event in the scottish mountains, in April which I am pretty much just waiting for the cancellation of (although the vaccination rate here is starting to pick up pace). And my first 100 miler in September.

Rested well after the Christmas marathon and now I am out with my running bag getting muddy on some trails where I can, and building up some slow miles. Winter is my favourite time to run and off road is definitely my favourite place to run 👌

Hope everyone is feeling motivated and most importantly getting some good head space and enjoyment from their running, that is what its all about 🙌
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    :clap: to you both!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I need to do better, I fell off the wagon. Like I said before, I was never a runner. I enjoy lifting a lot more, but now that I can't seem to get back to how strong I was before my shoulder surgery, combined with high cholesterol and borderline A1C, I think now is the time to get a bit more serious with running and focus my diet towards fueling that vs bodybuilding (a lot of people don't know bodybuilding diets can be absolutely terrible for you). I've been at it for a week, running anywhere between 3-5 miles a day. I have one of those NordicTrack incline trainers. I used to only walk/hike on it for cutting phases.Lol I now run on it and said fuck it and paid the annual fee so I can pick and choose a program to follow. I picked a half-marathon program. 2-part series of 4 weeks each. Goal is to run a half marathon under 10 mins per. So far it's been brutal, but doable.

I am slow and I was able to do that just over that my first half distance (which was the actual race) and under a number of times running in training - you can do it, I am sure you can crush that.  However, I would stretch out your goal some and once you can run outside regularly then I would kick up the mileage.  Running 10 miles on even a nice treadmill, sucks, imo.  There is a lot to gain working on your short gain on the dreadmill.  Set up some interval training and hill training and keep it 3-6 miles.  You will be able to really challenge yourself and get faster. 
    Once you get back outside it will feel easy.

Or, just keep hammering on the treadmill -- all in favor and support of putting in hard work.  Whatever you find works best for you!
    edited January 2021

I am slow and I was able to do that just over that my first half distance (which was the actual race) and under a number of times running in training - you can do it, I am sure you can crush that.  However, I would stretch out your goal some and once you can run outside regularly then I would kick up the mileage.  Running 10 miles on even a nice treadmill, sucks, imo.  There is a lot to gain working on your short gain on the dreadmill.  Set up some interval training and hill training and keep it 3-6 miles.  You will be able to really challenge yourself and get faster. 
    Once you get back outside it will feel easy.

Or, just keep hammering on the treadmill -- all in favor and support of putting in hard work.  Whatever you find works best for you!
    Thanks. Yea the program I am doing incorporates interval training and hikes. I haven't looked into the rest of the month so I'm not sure about the distance going more than 5 miles, but it is been between 3-5 in the past 6 sessions and it's definitely a great mix of run, hike, and various intensities. The machine automatically change the speed and incline based on the virtual trainer's program. The <10min/mile half marathon goal is just a portion of my goals. Distance running is something that's never been a part of my repertoire and something I'd like to add. I can sprint like a mofo, but I die on long runs. Health is a major driving force also as well as my career. I am getting commissioned to be a Naval Officer in August and comes with that is a full physical. It's like I am enlisting all over again so I can't really show up with high cholesterol and an elevated A1C and risk losing the promotion. That physical is right around when I am done with this series so after that, I'm probably going to reduce running to 3x a week and throw in lifting again. Should put me in tip top shape by the summer. 
    Post edited by crookedcross on
    edited January 2021
    :clap: to you both!
    I second this. You all have some amazing goals. I ran 5.5 miles today. That is enough for me for a run. I can't imagine doing a 1/2 marathon, never mind an ultra marathon. I am running mainly for mental and physical health - not training for anything. But I have seen results, so I keep at it. Running has been my savior during this pandemic. It clears my head for sure.

Thanks. I need to figure out the heart rate thing though. Something I never really paid any attention to before. During recovery runs, the trainer keeps saying keep your HR at 75% which for my age is about 140, but I find myself running at about 160/165. I follow the trainer/machine's pace and if I go at a slower speed or decline to get me down to 140bpm, I feel like I'm going so slow and it's too easy. Then during high intensity segments, he says go for 90% which is about 165bpm for me. I am at 190. Which upon researching is the max for most people. Lol The trainer also increases intensity by slowing down and increasing the incline way up for a hike, but somehow that makes my HR lower and when he brings the incline down and raise the speed to a "light" run, that's when my heart is pounding. Here's a visual. This was today's run/hike. As you see, I have to walk to get down to 140. I wear a Polar chest strap.

Good to monitor some and see what works and what is safe for you.  This is one of the reasons I like being outside so much more than a treadmill.  I can go faster or slower and just keep glancing at my wrist every so often.  185 was top end for me but I did hit 190 some during short races.
    The treadmill forcing your pace is a good way to push yourself ...but also, if you are a blockhead it is a good way to go further/faster than you should.
    I'm a blockhead.  

Speaking of, I did an extra circuit during PT today and was pretty much in agony the whole last circuit - funny enough it was my back and not my ankle.  When I finished I asked the torture master therapist if I was meant to stop at 5.  He told me I was meant to stop at 4.
    Said I had a very determined look on my face so he thought it was ok to let me go until I was done.
    Fucking PT.

Good to monitor some and see what works and what is safe for you.  This is one of the reasons I like being outside so much more than a treadmill.  I can go faster or slower and just keep glancing at my wrist every so often.  185 was top end for me but I did hit 190 some during short races.
    The treadmill forcing your pace is a good way to push yourself ...but also, if you are a blockhead it is a good way to go further/faster than you should.
    I'm a blockhead.  

Speaking of, I did an extra circuit during PT today and was pretty much in agony the whole last circuit - funny enough it was my back and not my ankle.  When I finished I asked the torture master therapist if I was meant to stop at 5.  He told me I was meant to stop at 4.
    Said I had a very determined look on my face so he thought it was ok to let me go until I was done.
    Fucking PT.

Lol I hated PT. I had to do it for my knee, and shoulder. My shoulder was repaired by your Eagles team doctor, Peter DeLuca, but my PT was done by the Air Force. Talk about a quality gap
    I imagine military PT to be much worse 
    why would you not want to be out running 👌
    Beautiful!  Where is that?
    The town where I live in the east of England, small place called Godmanchester. We get great sunsets across the river and the meadow beyond, which is flooded at the moment. I took this yesterday evening.
    I imagine military PT to be much worse 
    It's actually not that bad, but military health care in general can be a classic case of "you get what you paid for" every now and then. Lol
    beano.79 said:
    why would you not want to be out running 👌
    Woah
    beano.79 said:
    The town where I live in the east of England, small place called Godmanchester. We get great sunsets across the river and the meadow beyond, which is flooded at the moment. I took this yesterday evening.

Pretty cool!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    My view as I finished my run in Red Hills State park this evening. 
    All of these sunset running views are nice. I do all my running in the morning. I wish I could do a sunset run. But, running in the dark along the East River is probably not too smart. Oh well.

GlowGirl said:
    All of these sunset running views are nice. I do all my running in the morning. I wish I could do a sunset run. But, running in the dark along the East River is probably not too smart. Oh well.

I love to run in the morning but the sunset views are awesome.
    For me, I can run and get that charge to start the day and also not interrupt work or family time.  If I want to do that when it is not morning I would likely be running at 8-ish at earliest and miss sunset.
    Another thing is I am a morning shower person.  If I run at night I'm taking two showers a day.  This is not awful but it seems strange and wasteful.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    GlowGirl said:

I like to run in the mornings on the weekends, but I get up at 4:30 am and leave for work at 5:00 during the week. I am not getting up at 3 to run. 
    GlowGirl said:

I like to run in the mornings on the weekends, but I get up at 4:30 am and leave for work at 5:00 during the week. I am not getting up at 3 to run. 
    Yeah. That is too early. I work at home. I usually start a run between 9-10am during the week and a bit later on the weekends. But in the heat of the summer I try to get out there before 8am.  Tomorrow I may do the treadmill since it is supposed to be in the 20s in the morning with wind. A bit too cold for me. But I will make that determination in the morning. 
    Awesome.
    We are on the beach and I couldn't run on the beach this morning.  Grrrr.  
    it was cold, but I still wanted that sunset to be viewed in a different manner.  Will trade-off to view with the six year old and be ok with it 
    What an incredible view to have from your home 🤘
    That was a rental in Delaware.  
    Wish that was my view in the morning, regularly!
    Had to settle for the treadmill today. It was really cold outside. Did 5.3 miles of running and then another mile or so walking on an incline. Time stood still on that thing. At least it’s done. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Had to settle for the treadmill today. It was really cold outside. Did 5.3 miles of running and then another mile or so walking on an incline. Time stood still on that thing. At least it’s done. 
    Nice! Time does stand still! I do all my running on the treadmill because the program I'm doing is on it. Plus because I'm not really in love with running (yet), it helps to know that if I stop, I will eat shit. lol Once I become a more efficient runner, I'm gonna start running outside again. For now I just make up for long walks with my doggos and some hiking here and there. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Nice! Time does stand still! I do all my running on the treadmill because the program I'm doing is on it. Plus because I'm not really in love with running (yet), it helps to know that if I stop, I will eat shit. lol Once I become a more efficient runner, I'm gonna start running outside again. For now I just make up for long walks with my doggos and some hiking here and there. 
    I ran only on the treadmill for a few years until the pandemic sent me running outside when the gym closed. Now I love outside running so much more. I think I only used the treadmill for so long because I wasn’t sure how running on the streets of NYC would be. But I found a really great route that only has me running on the sidewalks for a short part of my run and running in the park along the River for most of it. Now I am hooked on running outside, but will use the treadmill when it is too cold. 
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    I ran only on the treadmill for a few years until the pandemic sent me running outside when the gym closed. Now I love outside running so much more. I think I only used the treadmill for so long because I wasn’t sure how running on the streets of NYC would be. But I found a really great route that only has me running on the sidewalks for a short part of my run and running in the park along the River for most of it. Now I am hooked on running outside, but will use the treadmill when it is too cold. 
    Originally from Long Island, went to college in Queens. Spent a whole lot of time in the city before I left town. Then almost a decade later I got stationed in South Jersey and that got me back close to home. I had zero problems making that 1.5/2hr drive to the city to see shows, go to games, sometimes just to get The Halal Guys. Haha Now I am in the fucking Commonwealth of Virginia. Hampton Roads at that. All that had nothing to do with running, I just miss the city so fucking much. Now that I'm kinda into it, I would much rather run in the city vs. the neighborhoods and parks around here. 
    Halal Guys ftw.
    Halal Guys ftw.
    They have one in Philly now homie!