Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    edited July 2021
    beano.79 said:
    I'm training for a marathon in Oct in Ann Arbor. Anyone else running in that one?

No, not for that one.  Have you run marathon(s) before?
    Saw that you are a Goggins fan -- as a fellow fan I am sure reading Can't Hurt Me while training will crank up that training a few levels.
    How are you training?

Love having another person here to join our encouragement for each other's running desires.

Speaking of, @Spiritual_Chaos is it almost time to start back up for you?
    I have run a couple but not in 10 years so it's been fun ramping back up to that level. I went on the runners world website and they have programs set up for depending fitness level. My goal is to qualify for Boston. Yes Goggins ramps up the internal intensity for sure lol.

Awesome, congrats on getting back to it.
    If you are in the standard Pearl Jam Fan age range I am guessing you need to be sub 3h20m (male) or 3h50m (female) to qualify.  I am a slow runner and to qualify I would have to pretty much run as fast as I can run a mile, about 26 times in a row.  :lol:      
    Props to you for your speed! 
    Is your goal to qualify for Boston in your first Marathon back?

Very interesting to see the different goals we all have -- they are all meaningful and drive us to put in the work to get there, which (for my thoughts) is the point of setting goals!
    Thanks! You're bang on with my age, I'm 42 so yeah sub 3hr20min. Thank you! That is my goal but the training is just ramping up now so we'll see in a month if it's still the same lol. 100% agree with you. On the days even Goggins can't motivate me I just think about Boston and letting my kids down if I don't make it. That's not what they would think but that's what I tell myself they would think lol
    That's a great goal 👍 and welcome to the place where it's cool to tell us about the stuff nobody else understands or gives a shit about 😂
    Hahaha thanks! this might turn into my favorite spot in the forum
    Welcome!! The few of us that post regularly like it here. I am the non-competitive runner compared to the rest of you all. But, I still find it motivating to share. Whatever works, right? Good luck with your training. Running the Boston would be amazing.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    I'm training for a marathon in Oct in Ann Arbor. Anyone else running in that one?

Saw that you are a Goggins fan -- as a fellow fan I am sure reading Can't Hurt Me while training will crank up that training a few levels.
    How are you training?

Love having another person here to join our encouragement for each other's running desires.

I have run a couple but not in 10 years so it's been fun ramping back up to that level. I went on the runners world website and they have programs set up for depending fitness level. My goal is to qualify for Boston. Yes Goggins ramps up the internal intensity for sure lol.

If you are in the standard Pearl Jam Fan age range I am guessing you need to be sub 3h20m (male) or 3h50m (female) to qualify.  I am a slow runner and to qualify I would have to pretty much run as fast as I can run a mile, about 26 times in a row.  :lol:      

Very interesting to see the different goals we all have -- they are all meaningful and drive us to put in the work to get there, which (for my thoughts) is the point of setting goals!
    Thanks! You're bang on with my age, I'm 42 so yeah sub 3hr20min. Thank you! That is my goal but the training is just ramping up now so we'll see in a month if it's still the same lol. 100% agree with you. On the days even Goggins can't motivate me I just think about Boston and letting my kids down if I don't make it. That's not what they would think but that's what I tell myself they would think lol
    That's a great goal 👍 and welcome to the place where it's cool to tell us about the stuff nobody else understands or gives a shit about 😂
    Welcome!! The few of us that post regularly like it here. I am the non-competitive runner compared to the rest of you all. But, I still find it motivating to share. Whatever works, right? Good luck with your training. Running the Boston would be amazing.

I am amongst the non-competitive too, and at this point I'm not really running because I've been having trouble with my right knee for months now and don't want to strain it, since I want to be able to keep on going with my usual cycling and climbing, plus have some hiking booked for this summer. But I still lurk :)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

How are you training?

I am amongst the non-competitive too, and at this point I'm not really running because I've been having trouble with my right knee for months now and don't want to strain it, since I want to be able to keep on going with my usual cycling and climbing, plus have some hiking booked for this summer. But I still lurk :)

Hope your knee improves with some time off from running.

Running is strange...I am as competitive a person as you are likely to meet.  Ultra competitive, in nearly everything....but running is a thing where I can truly only compete with myself.  The idea of winning any of these "races" is laughable.  I am slow!  Through this I find almost as much fun as winning just be competing with myself and finishing.

That stated...a few notes:
    1)  I know you are faster than I am, Often.  :lol:
    2)  My sister and I are syncing up again for a 5k in Sept and I looked up my old time/placement.  20th in my age bracket (there were less than 40 people in my age bracket...most runners were younger) and in order to finish top 10 in my age bracket I would need to pretty much run by best mile 3x in a row.  This is a self competition I can enjoy.  No idea if more/less people will participate this year and if they will be faster/slower.  Doesn't matter -- if I dont beat my last time I am a wuss and I will aim for top 10.  :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

How are you training?

Hope your knee improves with some time off from running.

Running is strange...I am as competitive a person as you are likely to meet.  Ultra competitive, in nearly everything....but running is a thing where I can truly only compete with myself.  The idea of winning any of these "races" is laughable.  I am slow!  Through this I find almost as much fun as winning just be competing with myself and finishing.

That stated...a few notes:
    1)  I know you are faster than I am, Often.  :lol:
    2)  My sister and I are syncing up again for a 5k in Sept and I looked up my old time/placement.  20th in my age bracket (there were less than 40 people in my age bracket...most runners were younger) and in order to finish top 10 in my age bracket I would need to pretty much run by best mile 3x in a row.  This is a self competition I can enjoy.  No idea if more/less people will participate this year and if they will be faster/slower.  Doesn't matter -- if I dont beat my last time I am a wuss and I will aim for top 10.  :lol:

A few replies:
    1) I doubt I am, particularly now! You've been training hard and I ..... have not. But I am faster than you going up a wall :lol:
    2) Good luck with beating your last time, wuss. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ha!
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 662
    No running today... The first England final in my lifetime... Today is a beer day
  • Options
    Good luck! 
  • Options
    Good luck! 
    Got all day to wait..I'm bouncing off the walls 😬🤞
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    No running today... The first England final in my lifetime... Today is a beer day
    Enjoy!!
  • Options
    Holy humidity!!! I ran my worst time in a long time. By the time I got home I felt like a puddle of goo. It is always hot here in the summer, but this summer the humidity feels extra swampy. We have had much more rain than normal for this time of year. The humidity reminds me of living in DC. As boring as the treadmill is, I think it is better for my running speed and stamina when it is like this outside. Today was exhausting. How is everyone else doing?
  • Options
    I was off today but it was 95% humidity when we took the kid to the bus stop this morning.  Pretty swampy!
    Back at it tomorrow.
    Good for you for giving it a go.  I am ok with going slower and sweating like a dog.  For sure run slower in it.
    My wife is making me dry my running clothes on the top deck instead of hanging on a rack, inside.  Lol.  Smells too damn bad.
  • Options
    I was off today but it was 95% humidity when we took the kid to the bus stop this morning.  Pretty swampy!
    Back at it tomorrow.
    Good for you for giving it a go.  I am ok with going slower and sweating like a dog.  For sure run slower in it.
    My wife is making me dry my running clothes on the top deck instead of hanging on a rack, inside.  Lol.  Smells too damn bad.
    Good luck with your run. My next run is Wednesday. If the humidity is anything like it was today today take it slower. I may end up doing the treadmill on Wednesday. 
  • Options
    Whew - 74/94.  Sweaty stuff.

• Options
    3 humid miles today, first run since last Friday's 50. No niggles/injuries to report! 7 weeks of building back up to peak before the race 😬🤞
  • Options
    Good news!
  • Options
    I was cycling in to work today and I saw a guy with a cycling jersey that said:

THE TRUTH IS
    YOU CAN GO HARDER
    BUT SOMETIMES
    THE TRUTH HURTS

So naturally I thought of you, F Me :lol:

The Truth Is, he wasn’t going that hard. Neither was I, but then again I was just heading in to work. I don’t know what his excuse was. 
  • Options
    I was cycling in to work today and I saw a guy with a cycling jersey that said:

THE TRUTH IS
    YOU CAN GO HARDER
    BUT SOMETIMES
    THE TRUTH HURTS

So naturally I thought of you, F Me :lol:

The Truth Is, he wasn’t going that hard. Neither was I, but then again I was just heading in to work. I don’t know what his excuse was. 

He was ascairt of a little pain!  :lol:  
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Everytime I tell myself I can go harder I feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack.... yes, with everything.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    3 humid miles today, first run since last Friday's 50. No niggles/injuries to report! 7 weeks of building back up to peak before the race 😬🤞
    Awesome!! Those humid runs are tough, even the short ones. You must be getting excited for the big run. 
  • Options
    Everytime I tell myself I can go harder I feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack.... yes, with everything.
    Get that watch, it might save a life!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    Awesome!! Those humid runs are tough, even the short ones. You must be getting excited for the big run. 
    Yes!... And no.... Is it possible to be 100% confident and totally excited... And also terrified and having no idea how I'll keep going? 😂
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    Yes!... And no.... Is it possible to be 100% confident and totally excited... And also terrified and having no idea how I'll keep going? 😂

It is all relative, I guess?

Spoke with my family last night about a 10 Mile Race they finally put a date on the reschedule to, locally, which I am signed up for.

Shared that I have a 26 mile training run scheduled on Saturday that weekend and the 10 mile event is on Sunday. 
    (A day I am meant to cross train for an hour, not run for an hour and a half.) 

The wife says "surely a 10 mile run is a piece of cake for you at this point, no?"
    7 year old son says "yeah dad, that is easy for you."

After explaining there is a reason I follow a schedule & I am not meant to run 10 miles the day after and perhaps I can run 16 miles overnight or in the early AM and then go into Philly and run the 10 mile event on the same day I told them pretty much what you just said...."guys, even on a 10 mile run sometimes I am tired after 4 or 5 miles - at some point it becomes about just keeping going..."

In your case, beano, it is that you will be on mile 40 or 50 out of 100.  :rofl:

You crazy!

• Options
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

It is all relative, I guess?

Spoke with my family last night about a 10 Mile Race they finally put a date on the reschedule to, locally, which I am signed up for.

Shared that I have a 26 mile training run scheduled on Saturday that weekend and the 10 mile event is on Sunday. 
    (A day I am meant to cross train for an hour, not run for an hour and a half.) 

The wife says "surely a 10 mile run is a piece of cake for you at this point, no?"
    7 year old son says "yeah dad, that is easy for you."

After explaining there is a reason I follow a schedule & I am not meant to run 10 miles the day after and perhaps I can run 16 miles overnight or in the early AM and then go into Philly and run the 10 mile event on the same day I told them pretty much what you just said...."guys, even on a 10 mile run sometimes I am tired after 4 or 5 miles - at some point it becomes about just keeping going..."

In your case, beano, it is that you will be on mile 40 or 50 out of 100.  :rofl:

You crazy!

I don't think running ever becomes easy... We just learn to deal with the pain for longer! My most uncomfortable runs are almost always the shorter ones. In some way, when you are so far from home or the finish line it is easier to switch off and just keep going.
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    I wear the chest strap for now. Just sucks to pull my big-ass Note 20 in and out of my running fanny. Lol
  • Options
    I wear the chest strap for now. Just sucks to pull my big-ass Note 20 in and out of my running fanny. Lol
    Does it set an alarm or anything where it will alert you to 200?
    Lol

• Options

33c here today, too hot for me so I waited until sun set. Combine harvester was kicking up a dust too which made for a dusty mile but a cool photo.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

33c here today, too hot for me so I waited until sun set. Combine harvester was kicking up a dust too which made for a dusty mile but a cool photo.
    Nice photo. It has been too hot here as well. I surrendered to the treadmill twice this week. I am going to try to get outside tomorrow morning. The temperature won't be so bad, but it depends on the humidity. How is the training going?

• Options
    Awesome pic!
    Yesterday in the morning it was the worst day, heat wise, so far.  After five miles I was going very slowly....if it is like that next weekend I am going to think about runnning at 4am or something.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Nice photo. It has been too hot here as well. I surrendered to the treadmill twice this week. I am going to try to get outside tomorrow morning. The temperature won't be so bad, but it depends on the humidity. How is the training going?

It's going well thanks! Can be a slog at times but coming out of a rest after the 50 and building back up so feeling a little fresher. Just 6 more weeks of training before we taper.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

It's going well thanks! Can be a slog at times but coming out of a rest after the 50 and building back up so feeling a little fresher. Just 6 more weeks of training before we taper.
    Awesome!! I am really excited for you for the big day. I like hearing about the training. I ran outside today. It was not as humid as last week, but still fairly humid. I managed to keep my time pretty good, but based on the forecast will likely be on the treadmill on Wednesday. Are you using a treadmill at all in your training?